|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would make a player in a game of hidden rhymes look pleased with himself?
(a) His opponent's puzzlement.
(b) Ending the game in a tie.
(c) A dinner bell before his defeat.
(d) Finding the concealed character.
2. A promotion to what rank changed a man who was previously a Subordinate Official so much that he seemed to have been reborn?
(a) Grounds keeper.
(d) Palace guard.
3. What did the High Priestess travel in during the Return Procession from Kamo?
(b) Oxen cart.
(c) Wicker-work carriage.
(d) Palm leaf carriage.
4. What did Shonagon say was the most splendid of all qualities, especially in men?
5. Which of these did Shonagon say was distant but near?
(a) The course of a boat.
(b) Festivals celebrated near the palace.
(c) Relations between a man and a woman.
6. What were the musicians singing at the rehearsal of the Special Festivals?
(a) Temple Path.
(b) Udo Beach.
(c) The Song of the Phoenix.
7. What temple did the Chancellor order the Dedication of the Full Canon to take place in?
(a) Shakuzen Temple.
(b) Haze Temple.
(c) Chisoku Temple.
8. What color were the Shigei Sha's under-robes when Shonagon first saw her at Toka Palace?
(b) Light violet.
(c) Plum red.
(d) Shades of blue.
9. What terminology did Shonagon and Tadanobu use to discuss men and women when they didn't want anyone else to know what they were talking about?
(a) Poetic terminology.
(b) The terminology of backgammon.
(c) The terminology of the Chinese zodiac.
(d) The terminology of go.
10. What kind of woman did Shonagon say she couldn't understand anyone loving?
11. Who was the woman that Nobukata broke off his relationship with due to the gossip of the ladies?
(b) Lady Korechika.
12. What did Shonagon say a woman's house should look like when she lived alone?
(a) Clean but simple.
13. What did the guests pour wine into at the rehearsal for the Special Festivals?
(a) A Yaku shell.
(b) A basket.
(c) A tea cup.
(d) A small wooden bowl.
14. What did Tadanobu say one was always sorry for in "It Was Late at Night?"
(a) Visiting the ladies-in-waiting.
(b) An inadvertent remark.
(c) A poorly written poem.
(d) Forgetting one's manners.
15. What kind of lodging did Shonagon stay in in "Shortly after the Twentieth of the Ninth Month?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What sounded different in the Time Office in "While We Were in Mourning for the Chancellor?"
2. Which of these did Shonagon say was a thing that gave a hot feeling?
3. What was in the parcel that Yukinari sent Shonagon in "One Day a Man from the Office of Grounds?"
4. What was the spirit of the Captain from the Inner Palace Guards said to be haunting?
5. Who did Shonagon say was especially likely to be confronted with shameful things if he was a light sleeper?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)