|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who impressed Shonagon with his obeisance to the Chancellor?
(b) The Emperor.
2. In the section titled "In the Fifth Month" what kind of branch gave a fragrant scent when stuck in the carriage wheel?
(b) Cherry blossom.
(d) Plum blossom.
3. Which of these was included in the list of things that had lost their power?
(a) An ancient Emperor.
(b) A retreating storm.
(c) A dead fish washed up on a beach.
(d) A large tree that was blown down.
4. What did Shonagon say was the most splendid of all qualities, especially in men?
5. Who did the Empress suggest Shonagon ask for advice about how to respond to the package from Yukinari?
(b) The Emperor.
6. What terminology did Shonagon and Tadanobu use to discuss men and women when they didn't want anyone else to know what they were talking about?
(a) Poetic terminology.
(b) The terminology of backgammon.
(c) The terminology of the Chinese zodiac.
(d) The terminology of go.
7. What did Shonagon say the child who brought a letter to Tozammi's room looked like?
(a) A cherub.
(b) A basket worm.
(c) A stick of bamboo.
(d) A hototogisu.
8. What did a man deliver to Shonagon that was from the Empress in "One Day, When Her Majesty Was Surrounded by Several Ladies?"
(b) A straw mat.
(c) A robe.
9. How many attendants helped the Shigei Sha with her ablutions?
10. Which of these did Shonagon say gains by being painted?
(a) Cherry blossoms.
(b) Yellow roses.
(c) Autumn fields.
(d) People praised in romances as being beautiful.
11. In "Things Without Merit" what item did Shonagon say was so vulgar that people wouldn't want her to mention it?
(a) Rice starch mixed with water.
(b) Overcooked seaweed.
(c) Blurred ink on fine paper.
(d) Festival rehearsals.
12. How many times a day did the woman Shonagon saw coming does the hill to the Upper Shrine say she was making the pilgrimage?
13. In "There Was a Man in the Corridor" what was the man's servant holding?
(a) A branch of cherry blossoms.
(c) A brightly wrapped package.
(d) An umbrella.
14. What temple did the Chancellor order the Dedication of the Full Canon to take place in?
(a) Shakuzen Temple.
(b) Chisoku Temple.
(d) Haze Temple.
15. Who did Shonagon say it was pleasant for a court lady on leave to visit?
(a) A priest.
(b) Her childhood friends.
(c) Her parents.
(d) Another court lady on leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the spirit of the Captain from the Inner Palace Guards said to be haunting?
2. What did the guests pour wine into at the rehearsal for the Special Festivals?
3. What color were the Shigei Sha's under-robes when Shonagon first saw her at Toka Palace?
4. In "Enviable Things" what hour was it when Shonagon was still only half way to the top of the hill to get to the Upper Shrine?
5. What is the meaning of the name of the plant that Shonagon asked the children the name of in "On the Sixth of the Month?"
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)