|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did a man deliver to Shonagon that was from the Empress in "One Day, When Her Majesty Was Surrounded by Several Ladies?"
(b) A straw mat.
(d) A robe.
2. Which of these was not on Shonagon's list of things that should be large.
(a) Men's eyes.
(b) Old cats.
(c) Yellow rose petals.
3. How many times a day did the woman Shonagon saw coming does the hill to the Upper Shrine say she was making the pilgrimage?
4. What did the women do as they ran to see the dancers' special performance at the Shrine that caused people to laugh at them?
(a) Tripped over their skirts.
(b) Giggled loudly.
(c) Called out their thanks to the dancers.
(d) Lifted their skirts over their heads.
5. Which of these did Shonagon say was a thing that gave a hot feeling?
(a) A well-dressed oxen driver.
(b) A roll of silk.
(c) A colt in a field.
(d) A zither bag.
6. Who wanted Shonagon to teach her the terminology that Shonagon and Tadanobu used to talk in secret?
7. For what occasion did the Empress have to leave the Palace while they were in mourning for the Chancellor?
(a) The Great Purification.
(b) The Dedication of the Texts.
(c) Her brother's wedding.
(d) The Iris Festival.
8. What kind of paper was Yukinari's letter to Shonagon written on in "One Evening Yukinari, the Controller First Secretary?"
(a) Koya paper.
(b) Cherry blossom paper.
(c) Bamboo paper.
(d) Meng-Ch'ang paper.
9. Who was the woman that Nobukata broke off his relationship with due to the gossip of the ladies?
(a) Lady Korechika.
10. What object did the men thrust under the blind in "On a Dark, Moonless Night in the Fifth Month?"
(a) An inkstone.
(b) A letter.
(c) A branch of bamboo.
(d) A branch of cherry blossoms.
11. In the section titled "In the Fifth Month" what kind of branch gave a fragrant scent when stuck in the carriage wheel?
(a) Cherry blossom.
(d) Plum blossom.
12. What did Shonagon say was the most splendid of all qualities, especially in men?
13. Who did the Empress suggest Shonagon ask for advice about how to respond to the package from Yukinari?
(b) The Emperor.
14. Which of these was included in the list of things that had lost their power?
(a) A retreating storm.
(b) A large tree that was blown down.
(c) A dead fish washed up on a beach.
(d) An ancient Emperor.
15. Who said he/she would order the dancers to perform for the ladies-in-waiting after the Special Festival at Iwashimizu?
(b) The Chancellor.
(c) The Empress.
(d) The Emperor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these did Shonagon say gains by being painted?
2. What kind of woman did Shonagon say she couldn't understand anyone loving?
3. What temple did the Chancellor order the Dedication of the Full Canon to take place in?
4. What kind of wood was the round brazier the Empress sat before when Shonagon came to visit in her early days as a lady-in-waiting?
5. What was the poem Captain Tadanobu was going to recite in "One Day Captain Tadanobu, the Imperial Adviser, Came to Call?"
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)