|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Shonagon see someone spreading on the ground while traveling in her carriage one day?
(c) Straw mats.
2. What kind of carriage was supposed to move slowly according to Shonagon?
(a) Horse drawn.
3. What was rare in a servant according to the section titled "Rare Things?"
(a) One who was well-dressed.
(b) One who was cruel.
(c) One who was pleasant to his master.
(d) One who was intelligent.
4. What bird did Shonagon say she liked even though it did not belong to her country?
5. What dried plant evoked a memory from the past in the section titled "Things That Arouse a Fond Memory From the Past?"
(c) Cherry blossom.
6. What was wrong with the appearance of the escorts that Shonagon saw while visiting the palace to see the horses on the first day of the First Month?
(a) Their faces were improperly powdered.
(b) Their feet were too large.
(c) Their hair was unkempt.
(d) They were too tall.
7. In "A Lover's Visit," what did Shonagon find irritating about servants who arrived with the lover?
(a) They complained about waiting.
(b) They were poorly dressed.
(c) They left.
(d) They were too quiet.
8. How did Shonagon feel about women who lived at home and cared for their husbands?
9. What was painted on the sliding screen in the back of the hall at Seiryo Palace?
(a) Cherry trees.
(b) Stormy sea.
(d) Plum blossoms.
10. During what cool month of heavy showers and fierce winds did Shonagon like to nap?
(a) The Third Month.
(b) The Seventh Month.
(c) The Fifth Month.
(d) The Ninth Month.
11. What was Shonagon's elder brother's name?
12. What does Shonagon say was depressing for a messenger who brought a gift to a house where a child was just born?
(a) The gift was returned unopened.
(b) The messenger was ignored.
(c) No reward was given.
(d) The child had died.
13. In the section called "Hateful Things," what hateful thing happened when an admirer came for a clandestine visit?
(a) A maid caught the visitor.
(b) A dog barked.
(c) The door was locked.
(d) The admirer got lost.
14. Who did most people consider as "unimportant as a piece of wood?"
(a) A courtier.
(b) A fishwife.
(c) A priest.
(d) A gardener.
15. What did Yukinari tell Shonagon he was saying to the woman she saw him speaking with near the garden fence?
(a) He was urging her to marry him.
(b) He was telling her not to leave.
(c) He was telling her he loved her.
(d) He was telling her to meet him later.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section called "Depressing Things," what was depressing about a letter from the provinces?
2. What title was Norimitsu awarded after his falling out with Shonagon?
3. What was the old nun who came on the second day of the Perpetual Readings asking for?
4. What did one of the women ask the old nun to do, which the Empress found degrading?
5. What insect did Shonagon say she should have included in her list of hateful things?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)