|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of carriage was supposed to move slowly according to Shonagon?
(d) Horse drawn.
2. What gate at the house of the Senior Steward was too small for the carriage Shonagon and the other ladies rode in?
3. What color were the horses that members of the nobility came to see on the first day of the First Month?
4. What was wrong with the appearance of the escorts that Shonagon saw while visiting the palace to see the horses on the first day of the First Month?
(a) Their feet were too large.
(b) They were too tall.
(c) Their hair was unkempt.
(d) Their faces were improperly powdered.
5. What shade of plum blossom brought Shonagon the most pleasure?
6. What color was the lute Shonagon saw the Empress holding in the section called "A Group of Senior Courtiers?"
7. In the section titled "Once When Her Majesty Was Residing" what did the ladies-in-waiting build in the garden?
(a) A snow mountain.
(b) A sculpture of a bird.
(c) A small building.
(d) A flower bed.
8. What was rare in a servant according to the section titled "Rare Things?"
(a) One who was pleasant to his master.
(b) One who was cruel.
(c) One who was well-dressed.
(d) One who was intelligent.
9. In the section called "Hateful Things," what hateful thing happened when an admirer came for a clandestine visit?
(a) The door was locked.
(b) A maid caught the visitor.
(c) A dog barked.
(d) The admirer got lost.
10. What does Shonagon say was depressing for a messenger who brought a gift to a house where a child was just born?
(a) The messenger was ignored.
(b) The gift was returned unopened.
(c) No reward was given.
(d) The child had died.
11. What was the five-year-old boy that Shonagon saw while traveling her carriage one day holding?
(a) A bow and stick.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A bucket.
12. What was painted on the screens carried in the Empress's apartments on the day after the Naming of the Buddhas?
(b) The sea.
(c) A temple.
13. What was painted on the sliding screen in the back of the hall at Seiryo Palace?
(a) Plum blossoms.
(b) Cherry trees.
(c) Stormy sea.
14. Which worm was said to have been begotten by a demon?
(a) Basket worm.
(b) Silk worm.
(c) Inch worm.
(d) Earth worm.
15. What did His Majesty ask Shonagon and the others to write down on a folded piece of paper following dinner?
(a) Their names.
(b) The first ancient poem that came to mind.
(c) A passage from a book of philosophy.
(d) Their lineage.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section titled "I Was Standing in a Corridor," what were the servants carrying?
2. What did the pictures hung for the Perpetual Readings depict?
3. What was nice to hear while snuggling under the covers with a lover in the winter?
4. In the section titled "One Day When the Emperor Visited Her Majesty's Rooms" what did the Emperor bring with him on his visit?
5. What was hung from the pillars of the Empress' palace during the Festival of the Fifth Month?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)