|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plant did Shonagon think made an "uncommonly pretty" design on figured silk?
(a) Sweet rush.
2. What did Shonagon see someone spreading on the ground while traveling in her carriage one day?
(b) Straw mats.
3. Who asked Narimasa to arrange a meeting with Shonagon about the small gate?
(a) The Empress.
(b) Narimasa's brother.
(c) The Emperor.
(d) The palace architect.
4. What did Shonagon say that women at the palace did not do as other women did?
(a) Serve tea.
(b) Bow to men.
(c) Walk about with their hair unkempt.
(d) Hide their faces behind fans and screens.
5. In the section titled "One Day When the Emperor Visited Her Majesty's Rooms" what did the Emperor bring with him on his visit?
(a) A lute.
(b) A mandolin.
(d) A fan.
6. What did the pictures hung for the Perpetual Readings depict?
(a) The Buddha.
(c) Bodai Temple.
(d) Cherry blossoms.
7. What color were the horses that members of the nobility came to see on the first day of the First Month?
8. Where did the women plan to go to hear a hototogisu sing during the Abstinence of the Fifth Month?
(a) A cherry orchard.
(b) A field.
(c) An old mill.
(d) A bridge.
9. What did Shonagon say a well-bred young man should never do when visiting a woman of lower rank?
(a) Call out her name.
(b) Let anyone see him.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Give her gifts.
10. What did Shonagon say an ugly preacher might be?
(a) A deterrent of sin.
(d) A source of sin.
11. What dried plant evoked a memory from the past in the section titled "Things That Arouse a Fond Memory From the Past?"
(b) Cherry blossom.
12. What was the old nun who came on the second day of the Perpetual Readings asking for?
(a) New clothes.
(b) A job.
(c) A place to stay.
(d) Leftovers from the altar.
13. What did the Empress give the old nun?
(b) A room to stay in.
(c) A basket of fruit.
(d) One of her own robes.
14. What did Yukinari tell Shonagon he was saying to the woman she saw him speaking with near the garden fence?
(a) He was urging her to marry him.
(b) He was telling her he loved her.
(c) He was telling her to meet him later.
(d) He was telling her not to leave.
15. What hateful thing did Shonagon say some elderly people did when warming their hands over a brazier?
(a) Counted their age spots.
(b) Stretched out their wrinkles.
(d) Rubbed their hands together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of plant did Shonagon find pretty when it floated on the water of a pond?
2. Who brought a Chamberlain who belonged to the Imperial Guard a cup of wine when he brought a message to an Imperial consort?
3. What kind of carriage was supposed to move slowly according to Shonagon?
4. Who came out of the house to inquire whether or not "Lord So-and-so's" attendants had arrived yet in the section titled "Once When I Was Passing?"
5. Where did the Empress' residence lie in relationship to Seiryo Palace?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)