|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did His Majesty ask Shonagon and the others to write down on a folded piece of paper following dinner?
(a) The first ancient poem that came to mind.
(b) Their names.
(c) Their lineage.
(d) A passage from a book of philosophy.
2. In the section titled "I Was Standing in a Corridor," what were the servants carrying?
(a) Baskets of fruit.
(c) Attractively wrapped bundles and bags.
3. What was the right season to meet one's lover?
4. What bird did Shonagon say she liked even though it did not belong to her country?
5. What item did Shonagon send to Normitsu in response to his letter asking if he could tell Tadanobu where she was?
6. In what month did the peach trees come into bloom?
(a) The Second Month.
(b) The Fourth Month.
(c) The Sixth Month.
(d) The Third Month.
7. What was the Palace of the First Ward known as?
(a) The Palace of Yesterday.
(b) The Palace of Tomorrow.
(c) The Palace of the Future.
(d) The Palace of Today.
8. Which worm was said to have been begotten by a demon?
(a) Basket worm.
(b) Inch worm.
(c) Earth worm.
(d) Silk worm.
9. What was the driver of an ox-carriage supposed to look like according to Shonagon?
10. How did Shonagon feel about women who lived at home and cared for their husbands?
11. What kind of plant did Shonagon find pretty when it floated on the water of a pond?
(c) Water oats.
(d) Lotus leaves.
12. Where did the Empress' residence lie in relationship to Seiryo Palace?
13. What was painted on the paper-door of Lord Akinobu's house?
(d) The Palace.
14. What tree did people regard as the tree of the Divine Presence?
15. What did stout men strike Shonagon as being?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did most people consider as "unimportant as a piece of wood?"
2. What color was the lute Shonagon saw the Empress holding in the section called "A Group of Senior Courtiers?"
3. What kind of bird was said to make its nest in the paulownia tree?
4. What did Shonagon tell the Empress she thought of Yukinari?
5. In "It Is So Stiflingly Hot," who did the woman in the house with the open lattice receive a letter from?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)