|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sections 116-135.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the poem Captain Tadanobu was going to recite in "One Day Captain Tadanobu, the Imperial Adviser, Came to Call?"
(a) The Fourth Month in this world of men.
(b) The Chancellor's death.
(c) Cherry blossoms in the spring.
(d) A beautiful woman looking at the moon.
2. In "Things Without Merit" what item did Shonagon say was so vulgar that people wouldn't want her to mention it?
(a) Rice starch mixed with water.
(b) Festival rehearsals.
(c) Overcooked seaweed.
(d) Blurred ink on fine paper.
3. What shade of plum blossom brought Shonagon the most pleasure?
4. What hateful thing did Shonagon say some elderly people did when warming their hands over a brazier?
(a) Stretched out their wrinkles.
(b) Rubbed their hands together.
(c) Counted their age spots.
5. Which of these did Shonagon say loses by being painted?
(a) Mountain villages.
(b) Cherry blossoms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the people associated with ox carts were to be dressed well?
2. In the section titled "I Was Standing in a Corridor," what were the servants carrying?
3. Who remarked to all the ladies gathered in the corridor to watch that it "must make [them] laugh to see the foolish old man?"
4. What kind of wood was the round brazier the Empress sat before when Shonagon came to visit in her early days as a lady-in-waiting?
5. Which of these did Shonagon say was distant but near?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)