|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sections 100-115.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color did Shonagon say oxen's bellies should be?
2. What was wrong with the appearance of the escorts that Shonagon saw while visiting the palace to see the horses on the first day of the First Month?
(a) Their feet were too large.
(b) They were too tall.
(c) Their faces were improperly powdered.
(d) Their hair was unkempt.
3. In "Enviable Things" what hour was it when Shonagon was still only half way to the top of the hill to get to the Upper Shrine?
(a) The Hour of the Snake.
(b) The Hour of the Dog.
(c) The Hour of the Rat.
(d) The Hour of the Horse.
4. Which of the people associated with ox carts were to be dressed well?
(a) Stable hands.
5. What object did the men thrust under the blind in "On a Dark, Moonless Night in the Fifth Month?"
(a) A branch of bamboo.
(b) An inkstone.
(c) A branch of cherry blossoms.
(d) A letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of the name of the plant that Shonagon asked the children the name of in "On the Sixth of the Month?"
2. In "A Lover's Visit," what did Shonagon find irritating about servants who arrived with the lover?
3. Who remarked to all the ladies gathered in the corridor to watch that it "must make [them] laugh to see the foolish old man?"
4. In "It Is So Stiflingly Hot," who did the woman in the house with the open lattice receive a letter from?
5. What color robe did Korechika wear when he came to report to His Majesty while the ladies sat discussing the painting on a sliding screen?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)