|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sections 13-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Palace of the First Ward known as?
(a) The Palace of Yesterday.
(b) The Palace of Tomorrow.
(c) The Palace of the Future.
(d) The Palace of Today.
2. What color robe did Korechika wear when he came to report to His Majesty while the ladies sat discussing the painting on a sliding screen?
(b) Golden yellow.
3. What was the driver of an ox-carriage supposed to look like according to Shonagon?
4. What kind of carriage was supposed to move slowly according to Shonagon?
(c) Horse drawn.
5. In the section called "Depressing Things," what was depressing about a letter from the provinces?
(a) When the letter bore bad news.
(b) When the penmanship was poor.
(c) When the letter was on plain paper.
(d) When the letter arrived without a gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color did Shonagon say oxen's bellies should be?
2. In the section called "Hateful Things," what hateful thing happened when an admirer came for a clandestine visit?
3. What did Shonagon say that women at the palace did not do as other women did?
4. What dried plant evoked a memory from the past in the section titled "Things That Arouse a Fond Memory From the Past?"
5. What instrument did His Majesty play?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)