|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sections 13-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Shonagon enjoy seeing men carry to and fro as the Festival approached?
(a) Loaves of bread.
(b) Flowers for the ladies.
(c) Rolls of material.
(d) Decorations for the palace.
2. What color were the horses that members of the nobility came to see on the first day of the First Month?
3. What does Shonagon say was depressing for a messenger who brought a gift to a house where a child was just born?
(a) The messenger was ignored.
(b) The child had died.
(c) No reward was given.
(d) The gift was returned unopened.
4. What dried plant evoked a memory from the past in the section titled "Things That Arouse a Fond Memory From the Past?"
(c) Cherry blossom.
5. What color of under-robe was depressing in the Eighth Month?
Short Answer Questions
1. What gate at the house of the Senior Steward was too small for the carriage Shonagon and the other ladies rode in?
2. In what month did the peach trees come into bloom?
3. What was the driver of an ox-carriage supposed to look like according to Shonagon?
4. What was the residence of the Major Captain of the Smaller Palace of the First Ward called?
5. What color robe did Korechika wear when he came to report to His Majesty while the ladies sat discussing the painting on a sliding screen?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)