|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sections 13-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color did Shonagon say a cat's back should be?
2. What was the residence of the Major Captain of the Smaller Palace of the First Ward called?
(a) Otoko Yama.
(b) Seiryo Palace.
(c) Smaller Shirakawa.
(d) High Court.
3. What did Shonagon enjoy seeing men carry to and fro as the Festival approached?
(a) Decorations for the palace.
(b) Flowers for the ladies.
(c) Loaves of bread.
(d) Rolls of material.
4. What did Shonagon say an ugly preacher might be?
(b) A source of sin.
(d) A deterrent of sin.
5. What does Shonagon say was depressing for a messenger who brought a gift to a house where a child was just born?
(a) The gift was returned unopened.
(b) The messenger was ignored.
(c) No reward was given.
(d) The child had died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did His Majesty ask Shonagon and the others to write down on a folded piece of paper following dinner?
2. What was the weather like in the Seventh Month?
3. In "It Is So Stiflingly Hot," who did the woman in the house with the open lattice receive a letter from?
4. In what month did the peach trees come into bloom?
5. What was the driver of an ox-carriage supposed to look like according to Shonagon?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)