|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sections 37-51.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Shonagon tell the Empress she thought of Yukinari?
(a) He was foolish.
(b) He was cruel.
(c) He was handsome.
(d) He was unusual.
2. What does Shonagon say was depressing for a messenger who brought a gift to a house where a child was just born?
(a) No reward was given.
(b) The child had died.
(c) The gift was returned unopened.
(d) The messenger was ignored.
3. What did Shonagon say gentlemen should always have lest she find them boring?
(a) Quick tongues.
(c) Nice clothes.
4. What did the officials carry when they came to thank the Emperor for their new appointments?
5. What did His Majesty ask Shonagon and the others to write down on a folded piece of paper following dinner?
(a) A passage from a book of philosophy.
(b) Their names.
(c) Their lineage.
(d) The first ancient poem that came to mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the residence of the Major Captain of the Smaller Palace of the First Ward called?
2. Which worm was said to have been begotten by a demon?
3. Who came out of the house to inquire whether or not "Lord So-and-so's" attendants had arrived yet in the section titled "Once When I Was Passing?"
4. Who did most people consider as "unimportant as a piece of wood?"
5. What does the name of the kotonashi shrub mean?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)