|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sections 37-51.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yukinari tell Shonagon he was saying to the woman she saw him speaking with near the garden fence?
(a) He was telling her to meet him later.
(b) He was telling her he loved her.
(c) He was telling her not to leave.
(d) He was urging her to marry him.
2. What was the residence of the Major Captain of the Smaller Palace of the First Ward called?
(a) Smaller Shirakawa.
(b) Otoko Yama.
(c) High Court.
(d) Seiryo Palace.
3. What was painted on the screens carried in the Empress's apartments on the day after the Naming of the Buddhas?
(b) The sea.
(d) A temple.
4. In the section called "Hateful Things," what hateful thing happened when an admirer came for a clandestine visit?
(a) The admirer got lost.
(b) A maid caught the visitor.
(c) The door was locked.
(d) A dog barked.
5. What did Shonagon say a well-bred young man should never do when visiting a woman of lower rank?
(a) Give her gifts.
(b) Let anyone see him.
(c) Call out her name.
(d) Kiss her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of carriage was supposed to move slowly according to Shonagon?
2. What gate at the house of the Senior Steward was too small for the carriage Shonagon and the other ladies rode in?
3. What did Shonagon tell the Empress she thought of Yukinari?
4. What was the weather like in the Seventh Month?
5. What did His Majesty ask Shonagon and the others to write down on a folded piece of paper following dinner?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)