|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sections 85-99.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Empress give the old nun?
(a) A basket of fruit.
(b) A room to stay in.
(c) One of her own robes.
2. What kind of bird was said to make its nest in the paulownia tree?
3. What did Shonagon say an ugly preacher might be?
(b) A source of sin.
(d) A deterrent of sin.
4. What tree did pilgrims returning from Mitake often bring back branches of?
5. What was painted on the screens carried in the Empress's apartments on the day after the Naming of the Buddhas?
(a) A temple.
(b) The sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Shonagon's elder brother's name?
2. What did Shonagon say a well-bred young man should never do when visiting a woman of lower rank?
3. What tree's blossoms did Shonagon consider prosaic and vulgar, but later changed her mind about?
4. What shade of plum blossom brought Shonagon the most pleasure?
5. What hateful thing did Shonagon say some elderly people did when warming their hands over a brazier?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)