|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Philip talk to at Kingsbridge instead of the bishop?
2. What does Prior Philip have the monks do when they go to the quarry?
3. How does Aliena react when a robber strikes Richard on the head, trying to steal his sword?
4. How many men show up to work on the cathedral?
5. What does Agnes tell Tom when she brings him his lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events take place when William Hamleigh goes to the castle at Shiring to claim it as his own?
2. What is the deal that Archdeacon Waleran makes with Philip after the death of Prior James, the Prior of Kingsbridge?
3. Summarize the actions of the townspeople before the hanging takes place.
4. Describe the design of the cathedral Tom proposes to build for Prior Philip.
5. What is the reaction of the townspeople as the man is led to the gallows?
6. What does the condemned man do as the noose is placed around his neck?
7. What is the fate of the White Ship and its passengers after it sets sail from England in 1120?
8. How do Aliena and Richard escape from the castle?
9. What does Tom discover when he has a change of heart and goes back to Agnes' grave to get the baby?
10. Describe the condemned man's appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Examine what it means to be a villager in Kingsbridge.
2 ) What characteristics and lifestyles distinguish life in Kingsbridge?
3) What problems and dangers do the villagers face throughout the story?
4) How do they show pride and courage for Kingsbridge?
5) Back up the answers with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast Waleran Bigot and Prior Philip.
2) Describe the methods each use to secure their futures.
3) How do their methods differ? Which of the two men employ the most effective methods for a prosperous future?
4) Cite examples from the novel of the methods of the two men and the results.
5) Which man's approach to a situation had more prosperous and lasting results at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Jack's coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows from childhood to adulthood?
3) How does his outlook on life, education, and love change as he develops from a boy into a man?
4) Cite examples of Jack's character changes throughout his life.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)