|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Alfred come to see Jack after 10 years of absence?
(a) He comes to ask forgiveness.
(b) He asks Jack for a job.
(c) He comes for revenge.
(d) He comes to get Aliena back.
2. What does Aliena tell Richard he should do to be named Earl of Shiring?
(a) Ask King Stephen for the earldom
(b) Assassinate William
(c) Forcibly take Earlcastle
(d) Bribe William
3. Who does William hire to build a new church in Shiring?
4. What does Alfred do when he is unable to perform on his wedding night?
(a) He cries out of frustration.
(b) He forces Aliena to sleep on the floor.
(c) He asks Aliena for forgiveness.
(d) He promises to do better next time.
5. What is Philip granted when he asks for a market license?
(a) He is granted only a partial license.
(b) He is granted the use of the quarry but no license.
(c) He is granted the forestland but no license.
(d) He is granted the license if he pays 100 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonathan decide to do with his life now that he is sixteen years old?
2. Why do a band of outlaws attack Kingsbridge?
3. What does Jack realize will stabilize the cracks in the cathedral?
4. What news does a page bring to William while he is fighting in the civil war between Maud and Stephen?
5. What does William vow to do after the death of his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the first meeting between Jack and Aliena when Jack finds her reading in the woods.
2. Describe Aliena's plan to get Shiring back for Richard.
3. What does William Hamleigh decide to do in order to increase the wealth of Shiring when he takes control after his father's death?
4. What does Aliena decide to do after Alfred throws her out of the house?
5. Describe what happens in Kingsbridge Cathedral on Whitunsday after William is confirmed as the earl of Shiring.
6. How is William's mismanagement of Shiring evident throughout the countryside?
7. Why does Richard decide to join the Christian crusades fighting in the Holy Land?
8. Describe Prior Philip's response to William Hamleigh when he arrives in Kingsbridge with his soldiers.
9. What is Aliena's idea involving the starving outlaws who attack Kingsbridge in the search for food?
10. Why does Alfred come to see Jack after 10 years with no communication?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)