|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philip decide to do with the baby that Francis brought to the monastery?
(a) He leaves the baby at a convent.
(b) He gives the baby to a peasant family.
(c) He decides to keep the baby and raise it in the monastery.
(d) He gives the baby to an orphanage.
2. What do Tom and Agnes do when they locate the thief that robbed them
(a) They have the sheriff arrest him.
(b) They wrestle him to the ground and he returns what he had stolen.
(c) They follow him and Tom kills him in a struggle.
(d) They run away from him.
3. What angers Philip about the monks right after he arrives at his new assignment?
(a) Their disheveled appearance
(b) Their disobedience and gluttony
(c) Their unfriendliness
(d) They gamble and drink
4. After the death of Bishop James, who does Remingus see as his rival for the post of Prior of Kingsbridge?
(c) Peter of Wareham
(d) Prior Philip
5. How many passengers aboard the sunken ship survive?
6. Where does Waleran Bigod set up a meeting with Prior Philip?
(a) In King Philip's castle
(b) In the Kingsbridge Cathedral
(c) In the ruins of Earl Bartholomew's castle
(d) In Salisbury Cathedral
7. Why does Lord William Hamleigh dismiss Tom and his stonemasons?
(a) William decides to move to a different town.
(b) William finds a cheaper builder.
(c) William's engagement is broken off.
(d) William decides to live in his father's castle.
8. As Aliena plans the escape from William, what does she pack to take with her?
(a) A bottle of ale
(b) A loaf of bread
(c) A pouch of silver
(d) A sword and dagger
9. Why does Philip go to see the Bishop of Kingsbridge after talking to his brother, Francis?
(a) He goes to ask the Bishop's help with a new cathedral.
(b) He goes to tell the Bishop about the planned rebellion against King Stephen by Maud's followers.
(c) He goes to ask the Bishop to find a home for the baby.
(d) He goes to ask the Bishop to transfer Peter of Wareham to another monastery.
10. What is Tom Builder's one passion in life?
(a) To design the king's castle
(b) To be a master builder of a castle
(c) To be a master builder of a cathedral
(d) To be an architect
11. What are the values of the boys who gather in the marketplace?
(a) They believe in God and holy works.
(b) They scorn beauty and despise goodness.
(c) They respect their elders and parents.
(d) They believe in goodness and kind deeds.
12. How many men show up to work on the cathedral?
13. What do the old women in the crowd conclude about the person at whom the prisoner is looking?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is about to die.
(c) He is the prisoner's brother.
(d) He is old and weary.
14. Why do three men ride behind the prisoner?
(a) They recite the prisoner's crime.
(b) They are his accusers.
(c) They mock the prisoner publicly.
(d) They try to keep order.
15. What is one of the first things Philip does in his new priory?
(a) He cuts the food portions of the monks.
(b) He puts the monks to work and provides them with more food.
(c) He has all the monks go into fasting and prayer.
(d) He stops the monks from working and tells them to pray
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Richard and Aliena escape the castle?
2. What does King Stephen decide about the ownership of the Shiring quarry?
3. What reaction do the old women have toward the prisoner?
4. To where does Abbot Peter transfer Prior Philip?
5. What does Prior Philip have the monks do when they go to the quarry?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)