|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reaction of the young boys toward the prisoner?
(a) They think he is a demon.
(b) They laugh hysterically at him until they fall down.
(c) They are afraid of him.
(d) They think he is strong and brave.
2. Why does Philip go to see the Bishop of Kingsbridge after talking to his brother, Francis?
(a) He goes to tell the Bishop about the planned rebellion against King Stephen by Maud's followers.
(b) He goes to ask the Bishop's help with a new cathedral.
(c) He goes to ask the Bishop to find a home for the baby.
(d) He goes to ask the Bishop to transfer Peter of Wareham to another monastery.
3. Why does Lord William Hamleigh dismiss Tom and his stonemasons?
(a) William finds a cheaper builder.
(b) William decides to live in his father's castle.
(c) William's engagement is broken off.
(d) William decides to move to a different town.
4. Who catches the thief red-handed with the stolen silver chalice?
(a) A priest
(b) A parishioner
(c) A deacon
(d) A man-at-arms
5. What has Tom Builder been hired to build for the earl's daughter and her fiancée?
(a) A stone fireplace
(b) A protective stone wall
(c) A guest house
(d) A fine house
6. What does Prior Philip have the monks do when they go to the quarry?
(a) They bless the quarrymen.
(b) They pray for the safety of the men.
(c) They mine the stone.
(d) They light candles and begin to sing holy songs.
7. What transpires when Tom and his quarrymen arrive at the quarry to start getting stone?
(a) The men refuse to work and go on strike.
(b) They mine plenty of stone to begin the cathedral.
(c) William Hamleigh's men are mining the quarry and will not let Tom enter.
(d) They find the quarry has been mined out.
8. How does Aliena react when a robber strikes Richard on the head, trying to steal his sword?
(a) She grabs Richard and runs into the woods.
(b) She stabs the thief in the eye.
(c) She stabs the thief with her dagger and has Richard kill him with his sword.
(d) She cuts off the robber's head with the sword.
9. Why doesn't the master builder of Salisbury Cathedral hire Tom?
(a) He doesn't like the looks of Tom.
(b) He feels Tom is not qualified.
(c) He is jealous of Tom.
(d) He has too many masons already.
10. Who teaches Aliena about the wool business?
(a) Meg, a wool merchant's wife
(c) Prior Philip
11. Where do Aliena and Richard find the money their father had left them?
(a) With a priest who has spent some of it
(b) With a friend in Salisbury
(c) With a peasant family
(d) With the monks in a monastery
12. How does the prisoner react when one of the boys spits in his face?
(a) He tells the boy that he forgives him.
(b) He snarls a curse and lunges at the boy.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He ignores the boy.
13. What does Aliena's and Richard's father make them vow to him?
(a) They will get revenge on the Hamleighs and get back the earldom.
(b) They will get as far away from Shiring as they can.
(c) They will go into the forest and stay out of harm's way.
(d) They will get King Stephen to help them.
14. What does Aliena buy to start up her wool business?
(a) A flock of sheep
(b) Two ewes and one ram
(c) A cart, fleeces, and an old horse
(d) Three sheep and a sheep dog
15. What does the condemned man look like?
(a) He is young and pale with green eyes and red hair.
(b) He is tall, dark, and scruffy.
(c) He is old, wrinkled, and bald.
(d) He is short, fat, and bald.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the favorite event for the young boys who gather in the marketplace?
2. What action does the person take who screamed at the prisoner's death?
3. Where do Tom and his family go for shelter from the freezing weather?
4. How does Tom get hired to make repairs on Kingsbridge Cathedral?
5. What happens to Tom's baby son after his birth?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)