|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philip's brother, Francis, surprise him with when he comes to visit?
(a) He brings needed donations.
(b) He brings a new bible.
(c) He brings a baby.
(d) He brings fresh fruit.
2. Who does the prisoner look at while he stands on the gallows?
(a) A girl of about 15 years of age
(b) His father
(c) A young boy
(d) His mother
3. What is the secret compromise that Philip proposes to the Hamleighs about the forests and quarry in Shiring?
(a) Kingsbridge gets the forest and quarries, while the Hamleighs get the earldom and farmland.
(b) Kingsbridge gets the farmland and the Hamleighs get the forest.
(c) Kingsbridge gets the forest and the Hamleigh's get the quarries.
(d) Kingsbridge gets the earl's money and the Hamleighs get the earldom.
4. What impresses Tom about Ellen's son, Jack?
(a) He has impeccable social graces.
(b) He gives Tom's family his portion of food
(c) He is able to hunt ducks with a stone and a sling.
(d) He offers the guests food before taking any for himself.
5. What does Prior Philip have the monks do when they go to the quarry?
(a) They mine the stone.
(b) They light candles and begin to sing holy songs.
(c) They bless the quarrymen.
(d) They pray for the safety of the men.
6. What is the condition of the monastery after 2 years under the care of Prior Philip?
(a) The monastery is dirty and unkempt.
(b) It is in dire straits.
(c) It is self sufficient and morale is high.
(d) The monks are hungry and the monastery in ruins.
7. What does the prisoner do after the noose is placed around his neck?
(a) He begins to scream.
(b) He starts to sing.
(c) He begins to beg for mercy.
(d) He begins to cry.
8. What reaction do the old women have toward the prisoner?
(a) They feel sorry for him.
(b) They are glad he is about to hang.
(c) They think he is handsome.
(d) They feel he deserves his fate.
9. What does William Hamleigh do when he finds Aliena in the earl's castle?
(a) He and his groom beat Matthew and Richard, and rape Aliena.
(b) He and his groom rape Aliena, cut off a piece of Richard's ear, and kill Matthew.
(c) He and his groom rape Aliena and Richard, but let Matthew go.
(d) He and his groom cut off Richard's hand and rape Aliena.
10. Why does Lord William Hamleigh dismiss Tom and his stonemasons?
(a) William's engagement is broken off.
(b) William finds a cheaper builder.
(c) William decides to move to a different town.
(d) William decides to live in his father's castle.
11. How does Aliena react when a robber strikes Richard on the head, trying to steal his sword?
(a) She stabs the thief in the eye.
(b) She grabs Richard and runs into the woods.
(c) She stabs the thief with her dagger and has Richard kill him with his sword.
(d) She cuts off the robber's head with the sword.
12. What type of death does the prisoner experience when the oxcart is pulled away?
(a) His neck breaks and death is quick.
(b) He kicks and fights against the noose.
(c) He strangles slowly.
(d) He gasps for breath for a long time.
13. What color eyes does the person have that the prisoner stares at in the crowd?
(a) Green as the grass
(b) Golden and luminous
(c) Blue like the sea
(d) Gray and dull
14. After the death of Bishop James, who does Remingus see as his rival for the post of Prior of Kingsbridge?
(a) Peter of Wareham
(c) Prior Philip
15. What happens to Philip's and Waleran's relationship after Philip makes a compromise with the Hamleighs?
(a) They become close friends.
(b) They become close partners.
(c) They become enemies for life.
(d) They become indifferent to one another.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Aliena and Richard intend to go after their escape?
2. Where do Philip and his brother, Francis grow up after they are orphaned?
3. What do the young boys of the village admire the most?
4. What does Philip decide to do with the baby that Francis brought to the monastery?
5. What happens when Aliena tries to sell her fleeces at the market?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)