|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the shepherds tell Christian and Hopeful not to sleep?
2. What does Christian ask Evangelist?
3. What do the women of the House Beautiful give Christian?
4. From what city are Formalist and Hypocrisy?
5. Whom does Christian meet after leaving the area of the Devil’s Castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Christian tell Hopeful and the person in question 23?
2. Who do Christian and Hopeful meet after they leave the shepherds? What does that person say to them?What is Christian’s response?
3. What does Evangelist tell Faithful and Christian about the city they are about to enter?
4. How does Christian meet Formalist and Hypocrisyand what happens to them and why?
5. What does Evangelist tell Christian about Worldly Wiseman and what does Christian ask Evangelist? What is Evangelist’s answer to Christian’s question?
6. How does Christian meet Goodwill and what does Goodwill do for Christian?
7. Whom do Christian and Hopeful meet after Christian leaves Vanity?
8. What must Christian and Hopeful cross to reach the Celestial City and how does Hopeful help Christian?
9. What does Christian pass on his way through the valley and what does he do about it?
10. Who is Christian and why does he leave his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Pilgrim’s Progress.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Pilgrim’s Progress. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Pilgrim’s Progress. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Pilgrim’s Progress is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Christian and Great Heart. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Christiana and Mercy. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Pilgrim’s Progress help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)