|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dorian plan to hold a party, according to Chapter Fifteen?
2. Where does Dorian decide to go at the beginning of Chapter Eighteen?
3. What is impossible for Dorian to do in Chapter Fifteen?
4. What does Basil want Dorian to do, according to Chapter Thirteen?
5. What of Dorian’s does Basil say he wants to see, according to Chapter Twelve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Basil wonder about Dorian in Chapter Twelve? Why?
2. What does Lord Henry’s credo mean?
3. What reinvigorates Dorian when he ventures out of his home after the incident in Chapter Seventeen?
4. What is the significance of Lord Henry changing the subject when Dorian mentions his desire to reform?
5. Compare and contrast Basil and Lord Henry’s views of Dorian.
6. Why does Basil call Dorian’s painting “an awful lesson?”
7. In Chapter Nineteen what evidence does Dorian give Lord Henry of his desire to reform himself?
8. Why does Basil stop Dorian on the street at the beginning of Chapter Twelve?
9. What role does Alan Campbell play in Chapter Fourteen?
10. Why does Dorian tell Lord Henry in Chapter Eighteen that he wishes he could love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Dorian’s desire to reform himself. Is it genuine? How do you know? Why does he say he wants to reform himself? Why does he really want to reform himself? Is he successful?
Essay Topic 2
Define escapism. What role does escapism play in The Picture of Dorian Gray? What does Dorian seek to escape throughout the story? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the arts in The Picture of Dorian Gray. How do the arts affect the various characters in the story? How do the arts help progress the plot forward? Why does Wilde choose to include the arts in this way?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)