|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What governs Dorian’s behavior, according to the beginning of Chapter Eleven?
2. What does Dorian feel when he looks at his portrait in Chapter Thirteen?
3. What does Dorian offer to show Basil, according to the end of Chapter Twelve?
4. What does Dorian realize about his attempt to be virtuous?
5. What does Dorian do to Basil in Chapter Thirteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dorian swoon and feel chills throughout dinner in Chapter Seventeen?
2. What moral can be taken from Dorian’s experiences in The Picture of Dorian Gray?
3. Why does Dorian get angry with Basil in Chapter Thirteen?
4. Explain the hypocrisy in Dorian’s attempt to reform himself.
5. What logic does Dorian use to escape from James at the end of Chapter Sixteen?
6. Why does Dorian tell Lord Henry in Chapter Eighteen that he wishes he could love?
7. What reinvigorates Dorian when he ventures out of his home after the incident in Chapter Seventeen?
8. What is the significance of Lord Henry changing the subject when Dorian mentions his desire to reform?
9. What does Basil wonder about Dorian in Chapter Twelve? Why?
10. Why does Dorian decide to go to the opium den in Chapter Sixteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define point of view. Identify the types of point of view. What is the point of view of The Picture of Dorian Gray? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the effect Dorian’s sins have on his psyche. How does he feel about his sins? How does he deal with his feelings? Why do Dorian’s sins affect him if the portrait is meant to take on the burden of his sins?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Lord Henry’s role in The Picture of Dorian Gray. How does he interact with Dorian? How does he interact with other characters in the story? How does he fit into the plot of the story?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)