|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorian devote himself to in Chapter Eight?
2. What decision does Dorian make in Chapter Seven?
3. In what play did Dorian see Sibyl that led to his proposal?
4. What does Sibyl not want to talk about with James in Chapter Five?
5. What is Sibyl’s occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dorian’s past considered dark?
2. Why does Dorian hide the painting from Basil?
3. Why is Basil reluctant to introduce Dorian and Lord Henry?
4. Explain the reactions of Sibyl, Mrs. Vane, and James to Sibyl’s engagement.
5. Why was Dorian in the slums in Chapter Four?
6. What reaction does Dorian have to the yellow book? What does the yellow book signify?
7. What does Lord Henry think of the story of Dorian’s past?
8. What is the Preface about?
9. How does Dorian react when Basil offers his condolences about Sibyl’s death?
10. How does Dorian deal with his emotion about Sibyl’s death at the end of Chapter Ten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Lord Henry’s role in The Picture of Dorian Gray. How does he interact with Dorian? How does he interact with other characters in the story? How does he fit into the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between Dorian and Basil with the relationship between Dorian and Lord Henry. How do their interactions with Dorian affect him? What is the purpose of each of their relationships throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the effect Dorian’s sins have on his psyche. How does he feel about his sins? How does he deal with his feelings? Why do Dorian’s sins affect him if the portrait is meant to take on the burden of his sins?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)