|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between James and Sibyl?
2. Who tells the story of Dorian’s engagement in Chapter Six?
3. What does James learn about his parents at the end of Chapter Five?
4. When does Chapter Four begin in relation to Chapter Three?
5. What does Dorian devote himself to in Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lord Henry believe one’s life should be spent, according to Chapter Three? Who is he targeting with these comments?
2. Why does Lord Henry not pass judgment on Dorian’s engagement?
3. Why does Dorian hide the painting from Basil?
4. What does Basil think of the change in Dorian, according to Chapter Nine?
5. How does Dorian deal with his emotion about Sibyl’s death at the end of Chapter Ten?
6. How does Dorian react when Basil offers his condolences about Sibyl’s death?
7. What does Lord Henry think of the story of Dorian’s past?
8. How does Sibyl avoid discussing Dorian with James while they walk together?
9. Why is Dorian heartbroken at the beginning of Chapter Seven?
10. Why does Dorian hide the painting in Chapter Ten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define hedonism. What role does it play in the story? How does hedonism affect Dorian? Give at least two examples of hedonism from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character of Dorian Gray with the author Oscar Wilde. How are they similar? How are they different? Does this make Dorian a more effective character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Lord Henry’s role in The Picture of Dorian Gray. How does he interact with Dorian? How does he interact with other characters in the story? How does he fit into the plot of the story?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)