|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does Dorian tell his servant to bring back at the beginning of Chapter Ten?
2. Who tells the story of Dorian’s engagement in Chapter Six?
3. Why does Lord Henry become more fascinated by Dorian in Chapter Three?
4. Why is James reluctant to leave his family?
5. What is Basil’s occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dorian hide the painting in Chapter Ten?
2. Why does Dorian see a faint sneer on his portrait at the end of Chapter Seven?
3. How does Dorian react when Basil offers his condolences about Sibyl’s death?
4. Why does the portrait of Dorian make him unhappy?
5. Why does Lord Henry not pass judgment on Dorian’s engagement?
6. What decision does Dorian make in his life as a result of Sibyl’s suicide?
7. Why does Basil say he originally did not want Dorian to see the painting?
8. How does Lord Henry defend his point of view at the end of Chapter Six?
9. Why is Dorian intrigued by Lord Henry in Chapter Two?
10. Why does Dorian hide the painting from Basil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship between Dorian and Basil with the relationship between Dorian and Lord Henry. How do their interactions with Dorian affect him? What is the purpose of each of their relationships throughout the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character of Dorian Gray with the author Oscar Wilde. How are they similar? How are they different? Does this make Dorian a more effective character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Define conflict. Identify each type of conflict and give an example of each from The Picture of Dorian Gray.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)