|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sibyl not want to talk about with James in Chapter Five?
2. What is Basil’s occupation?
3. How does Lord Henry react to Dorian’s comments about his philosophy?
4. Who makes an announcement at the beginning of Chapter Six?
5. What is Sibyl’s occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Dorian make in his life as a result of Sibyl’s suicide?
2. How does Dorian deal with his emotion about Sibyl’s death at the end of Chapter Ten?
3. Why does Basil say he originally did not want Dorian to see the painting?
4. How does Dorian end up with the portrait at the end of Chapter Two?
5. What does Lord Henry think of the story of Dorian’s past?
6. Explain the reactions of Sibyl, Mrs. Vane, and James to Sibyl’s engagement.
7. How does Sibyl avoid discussing Dorian with James while they walk together?
8. Why does Lord Henry not pass judgment on Dorian’s engagement?
9. Why does the portrait of Dorian make him unhappy?
10. Why is Dorian’s past considered dark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the character of Dorian Gray with the author Oscar Wilde. How are they similar? How are they different? Does this make Dorian a more effective character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Dorian and Sibyl. How does it begin? How does it end? What role does their relationship play in The Picture of Dorian Gray?
Essay Topic 3
Define point of view. Identify the types of point of view. What is the point of view of The Picture of Dorian Gray? How do you know?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)