|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorian ask his housekeeper for in Chapter Ten?
2. Who tells the story of Dorian’s engagement in Chapter Six?
3. What news about Dorian is shared at the end of Chapter Four?
4. What is Lord Henry’s interest in Dorian, according to Chapter Six?
5. When does Chapter Four begin in relation to Chapter Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Basil say he originally did not want Dorian to see the painting?
2. Why does Dorian hide the painting from Basil?
3. What decision does Dorian make in his life as a result of Sibyl’s suicide?
4. Why was Dorian in the slums in Chapter Four?
5. What does Lord Henry think of the story of Dorian’s past?
6. Why is Dorian intrigued by Lord Henry in Chapter Two?
7. Why does Dorian hide the painting in Chapter Ten?
8. How does Dorian end up with the portrait at the end of Chapter Two?
9. Why does Dorian see a faint sneer on his portrait at the end of Chapter Seven?
10. Why does the portrait of Dorian make him unhappy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define motif. How is a motif used in literature? Give at least one example of a motif in The Picture of Dorian Gray. Is this motif effective in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Dorian and Sibyl. How does it begin? How does it end? What role does their relationship play in The Picture of Dorian Gray?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the arts in The Picture of Dorian Gray. How do the arts affect the various characters in the story? How do the arts help progress the plot forward? Why does Wilde choose to include the arts in this way?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)