|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scares Dorian about his portrait, according to Chapter Eleven?
(a) It will be stolen.
(b) It will begin to speak.
(c) It will begin to give him back his worldly burdens.
(d) It will drive him mad.
2. What does Dorian offer to show Basil, according to the end of Chapter Twelve?
(a) A hidden room in his home.
(b) The portrait.
(c) The diary of his life.
3. What does Dorian tell his friend in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) He killed Sibyl Vane.
(b) There is a painting locked in a room that bears the weight of his sins.
(c) Sibyl Vane is pregnant.
(d) There is a dead body locked in a room of his house.
4. Why does Dorian decide not to dwell on his feelings in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) To avoid making himself ill.
(b) To focus on his yellow book.
(c) Because he cannot do anything to change the past.
(d) Because he wants to preserve his friendship with Lord Henry.
5. How does Lord Henry react to what Dorian says about the incident on the hunting trip?
(a) He does not react.
(b) He agrees with him.
(c) He dismisses it.
(d) He is frightened.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dorian visit at the beginning of Chapter Nineteen?
2. Who does Lord Henry mock in a discussion about the soul in Chapter Nineteen?
3. Who follows Dorian into the street in Chapter Sixteen?
4. What does Dorian do to the portrait in Chapter Twenty?
5. Why does Dorian ask about the man who was accidentally shot in Chapter Eighteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Basil and Lord Henry’s views of Dorian.
2. Explain the reference to a double life made at the beginning of Chapter Fifteen.
3. Why does Dorian tell Lord Henry in Chapter Eighteen that he wishes he could love?
4. What role does Alan Campbell play in Chapter Fourteen?
5. What logic does Dorian use to escape from James at the end of Chapter Sixteen?
6. Explain the hypocrisy in Dorian’s attempt to reform himself.
7. Why do people dismiss the stories of Dorian’s behavior in Chapter Eleven?
8. Why does Dorian have multiple copies of the yellow book made?
9. Why does Dorian see red paint on the hand of his likeness in the portrait at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
10. Why is Dorian so conflicted in Chapter Fifteen?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)