|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Chapter Fourteen begin in relation to Chapter Thirteen?
(a) A week or so later.
(b) An indeterminate amount of time.
(c) Several hours later.
(d) The next morning.
2. Whose face does Dorian see pressed against the window in Chapter Seventeen?
(a) Lord Henry’s.
3. What is the smell in the upper room of Dorian’s house at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(c) Nitric acid.
4. What does Dorian tell Lord Henry about what happens on the hunting trip?
(a) It is a good omen.
(b) It could not have been an accident.
(c) It is a symbol of Sibyl’s love.
(d) It is a bad omen.
5. How does Basil describe the portrait after seeing how it has changed?
(a) An abomination.
(b) A portrait of Hell.
(c) His greatest failure.
(d) An awful lesson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Dorian excuses himself from the conversation in Chapter Seventeen?
2. Why does Dorian ask about the man who was accidentally shot in Chapter Eighteen?
3. What does Dorian not want Lord Henry to loan to anyone, according to Chapter Nineteen?
4. How much time passes between Chapter Sixteen and Chapter Seventeen?
5. How much time passes during Chapter Eleven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the hypocrisy in Dorian’s attempt to reform himself.
2. Why does Dorian get angry with Basil in Chapter Thirteen?
3. Explain how and why Dorian dies at the end of The Picture of Dorian Gray.
4. Why does Dorian decide to go to the opium den in Chapter Sixteen?
5. Why is Dorian so conflicted in Chapter Fifteen?
6. What does Basil wonder about Dorian in Chapter Twelve? Why?
7. Why does Basil have to identify the painting of Dorian by his signature rather than by its appearance in Chapter Thirteen?
8. What is the turning point that occurs at the end of Chapter Eighteen? Why is this a turning point?
9. Why does Dorian tell Lord Henry in Chapter Eighteen that he wishes he could love?
10. Compare and contrast Basil and Lord Henry’s views of Dorian.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)