|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is James reluctant to leave his family?
(a) He fears Sibyl will try to follow him.
(b) He knows they will spend money poorly.
(c) He is worried about Sibyl.
(d) He does not want to go to war.
2. What emotion does Dorian have at the end of Chapter Seven?
3. What does Basil ask Dorian to do in Chapter Nine?
(a) Stop spending time with Lord Henry.
(b) Sit for another portrait.
(c) Find a new woman to marry.
(d) Move into his house.
4. Where is Sibyl’s social standing in comparison to Dorian’s?
(a) Beneath him.
(b) Above him.
(c) This is not revealed in the story.
(d) They are social equals.
5. What is Dorian’s topic of conversation at the beginning of Chapter Seven?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting at the opening of Chapter Five?
2. Who arrives to Dorian’s home with news in Chapter Eight?
3. Where is James preparing to go in Chapter Five?
4. Where did Dorian meet Sibyl?
5. What causes Dorian’s composure to crack in Chapter Nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lord Henry muse over at the end of Chapter Four?
2. What is the reason for the change in Sibyl in Chapter Seven?
3. Why was Dorian in the slums in Chapter Four?
4. How does Lord Henry defend his point of view at the end of Chapter Six?
5. Why does Lord Henry not pass judgment on Dorian’s engagement?
6. Why is Dorian intrigued by Lord Henry in Chapter Two?
7. Why does Basil not want to exhibit the portrait of Dorian, according to Chapter One?
8. Why does Dorian see a faint sneer on his portrait at the end of Chapter Seven?
9. Why is Dorian heartbroken at the beginning of Chapter Seven?
10. What decision does Dorian make in his life as a result of Sibyl’s suicide?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)