|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decision does Sibyl make in Chapter Seven?
(a) To break off the engagement.
(b) To elope with Dorian.
(c) To follow James to Australia.
(d) To quit her acting career.
2. Who introduced Dorian to Sibyl?
(a) Lord Henry.
(b) A playhouse owner.
(d) Mrs. Vane.
3. What does Dorian ask Basil to do in Chapter Nine?
(a) Let Dorian move into his house.
(b) A new portrait.
(c) To leave.
(d) A drawing of Sibyl.
4. From whom did Lord Henry first hear Dorian’s name?
(a) Lord Fermor.
(c) Lady Agatha.
(d) From Dorian himself.
5. What does Dorian ask his housekeeper for in Chapter Ten?
(a) A cup of tea.
(b) A schoolroom key.
(c) A cellar key.
(d) Pen and paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dorian agree to go with Lord Henry in Chapter Eight?
2. What does Dorian do when he sees the portrait?
3. Why does Basil refuse to do what Lord Henry wants him to do?
4. What does Dorian devote himself to in Chapter Eight?
5. Who is the author of The Picture of Dorian Gray?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dorian see a faint sneer on his portrait at the end of Chapter Seven?
2. What pledges do James and Sibyl each make at the end of Chapter Five?
3. What is the Preface about?
4. Why is Dorian heartbroken at the beginning of Chapter Seven?
5. How does Lord Henry want Dorian to see Sibyl’s death?
6. How does Dorian end up with the portrait at the end of Chapter Two?
7. Why does Lord Henry not pass judgment on Dorian’s engagement?
8. Why was Dorian in the slums in Chapter Four?
9. How does Dorian deal with his emotion about Sibyl’s death at the end of Chapter Ten?
10. Why does Basil say he originally did not want Dorian to see the painting?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)