|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Basil going to be gone, according to Chapter Twelve?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) An unspecified amount of time.
2. What does Lady Narborough suggest is the root of Dorian’s problems in Chapter Fifteen?
3. Why does Dorian ask about the man who was accidentally shot in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) He wants to send his condolences to the man’s wife.
(b) To make provisions for his family.
(c) He is afraid the man was Basil.
(d) He thinks the man was hired to steal his portrait.
4. What does Dorian tell Lord Henry about what happens on the hunting trip?
(a) It is a symbol of Sibyl’s love.
(b) It is a good omen.
(c) It could not have been an accident.
(d) It is a bad omen.
5. What does Dorian tell his friend in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) He killed Sibyl Vane.
(b) Sibyl Vane is pregnant.
(c) There is a dead body locked in a room of his house.
(d) There is a painting locked in a room that bears the weight of his sins.
6. Why does Basil say he wanted to speak to Dorian before leaving?
(a) To tell him Sibyl has committed suicide.
(b) To ask him to accompany Basil on his trip.
(c) To ask him to dinner.
(d) To warn him.
7. Why does the man follow Dorian into the street in Chapter Sixteen?
(a) To beg forgiveness.
(b) To avenge the death of Sibyl.
(c) To get his poker winnings.
(d) To see his portrait.
8. What happens to Dorian throughout dinner in Chapter Seventeen?
(a) He feels chills.
(b) He is verbally attacked by Basil.
(c) He cannot taste his food.
(d) His philosophy is questioned.
9. What scares Dorian about his portrait, according to Chapter Eleven?
(a) It will be stolen.
(b) It will begin to give him back his worldly burdens.
(c) It will begin to speak.
(d) It will drive him mad.
10. According to Lord Henry in Chapter Nineteen, what would spoil Dorian’s life?
(a) Being virtuous.
(b) Getting married.
(c) Asking God’s forgiveness.
(d) Forgiving himself.
11. When does Chapter Fourteen begin in relation to Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Several hours later.
(b) A week or so later.
(c) An indeterminate amount of time.
(d) The next morning.
12. What occupation did Dorian assume the man who was shot had in Chapter Eighteen?
(c) Opium den owner.
13. What does Dorian insist about the soul in his discussion with Lord Henry in Chapter Nineteen?
(a) That it carries weight in the heart.
(b) That it can be seen.
(c) That it can be taken.
(d) That it is real.
14. What is the smell in the upper room of Dorian’s house at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(b) Nitric acid.
15. Why does Dorian decide not to dwell on his feelings in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Because he wants to preserve his friendship with Lord Henry.
(b) Because he cannot do anything to change the past.
(c) To focus on his yellow book.
(d) To avoid making himself ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What governs Dorian’s behavior, according to the beginning of Chapter Eleven?
2. What does Basil want Dorian to do, according to Chapter Thirteen?
3. What is the true identity of the man who was accidentally shot in Chapter Eighteen?
4. What idea does Dorian entertain in Chapter Eighteen?
5. What do the colored bindings on Dorian’s book match, according to Chapter Eleven?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)