|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Dorian wake up in Chapter Eight?
(a) Around nine.
(b) Before dawn.
(d) After noon.
2. Who does Lord Henry visit after learning more about Dorian?
(a) Lord Fermor.
(b) Lady Agatha.
3. What news does Dorian receive at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
(a) Lord Henry has been injured in a fight.
(b) Sibyl has eloped with an actor.
(c) James has died in Australia.
(d) Sibyl has committed suicide.
4. Where does Dorian agree to go with Lord Henry in Chapter Eight?
(a) The opera.
(b) His home.
(d) The theater.
5. Who is at dinner with Lord Henry in Chapter Three?
6. What does Lord Henry want Basil to do?
(a) Do a self-portrait.
(b) Paint his portrait.
(c) Exhibit his latest portrait.
(d) Paint Dorian’s portrait.
7. What was Basil’s emotion upon first meeting Dorian?
(a) He was fascinated.
(b) He fell in love.
(c) He was angry.
(d) He was terrified.
8. Why does Basil refuse to do what Lord Henry wants him to do?
(a) He says the painting shows too much of himself.
(b) He fears a self-portrait would show his true, ugly self.
(c) He thinks Dorian is too immoral to be captured on canvas.
(d) He does not do portraits of friends.
9. What emotion does Dorian have at the end of Chapter Seven?
10. What causes Dorian’s composure to crack in Chapter Nine?
(a) Lord Henry snubbing him.
(b) A conversation with Mrs. Vane.
(c) Basil attempting to uncover the portrait.
(d) A dream about Sibyl.
11. What does Dorian think of the book, according to the end of Chapter Ten?
(a) He is unsure of what it means.
(b) He is angry about it.
(c) He thinks it is fascinating.
(d) He hates it.
12. What is the setting at the opening of Chapter Five?
(a) Sibyl’s home.
(b) Basil’s home.
(c) Dorian's home.
(d) Lord Henry’s home.
13. What does Dorian stop Basil from doing at the end of Chapter Two?
(a) Giving the portrait to Lord Henry.
(b) Destroying the portrait.
(c) Painting over the portrait.
(d) Selling the portrait.
14. Who arrives at the end of Chapter One?
(a) Lady Agatha.
(b) Lord Fermor.
(d) Sibyl Vane.
15. What does Basil ask Dorian to do in Chapter Nine?
(a) Stop spending time with Lord Henry.
(b) Move into his house.
(c) Sit for another portrait.
(d) Find a new woman to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Basil want to do with the portrait of Dorian?
2. What does Dorian ask his housekeeper for in Chapter Ten?
3. Who is the author of The Picture of Dorian Gray?
4. What does Dorian’s love of Sibyl teach him about Lord Henry’s philosophy, according to Chapter Six?
5. What news about Dorian is shared at the end of Chapter Four?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)