|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Dorian meet Sibyl?
(a) At a dinner party.
(b) In Bristol.
(c) The London slums.
2. What emotion does Dorian have at the end of Chapter Seven?
3. According to Chapter Eight, how does Dorian see the incident?
(a) A coincidence.
(b) As a turning point in his life.
(c) A warning.
(d) An act of devotion to him.
4. What is the relationship between James and Sibyl?
(a) Brother and sister.
(c) Father and daughter.
(d) They were once engaged.
5. What does Basil want to do with the portrait of Dorian?
(a) Show it at exhibition.
(b) Sell it to a collector.
(c) Hang it in his own home.
(d) Burn it.
6. What is Dorian’s topic of conversation at the beginning of Chapter Seven?
7. What does Sibyl not want to talk about with James in Chapter Five?
(c) Her career.
8. Who is at dinner with Lord Henry in Chapter Three?
9. Who is the author of The Picture of Dorian Gray?
(a) Pablo Neruda.
(b) Oscar Wilde.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) William Shakespeare.
10. What is Dorian’s housekeeper’s name, according to Chapter Ten?
(a) Mrs. Acres.
(b) Mrs. Leaf.
(c) Mrs. Vane.
(d) Mrs. Gray.
11. What is the topic of Dorian’s conversation at the beginning of Chapter Four?
12. What does Basil say about Dorian’s marriage at the beginning of Chapter Seven?
(a) He does not comment on the marriage.
(b) He will support it.
(c) He is against it.
(d) He will attend the wedding.
13. What does Dorian stop Basil from doing at the end of Chapter Two?
(a) Giving the portrait to Lord Henry.
(b) Painting over the portrait.
(c) Destroying the portrait.
(d) Selling the portrait.
14. What is Dorian’s news at the beginning of Chapter Four?
(a) He is the heir to a fortune.
(b) He is in love.
(c) He has joined the church.
(d) He has given up his worldly possessions.
15. Where is Sibyl’s social standing in comparison to Dorian’s?
(a) This is not revealed in the story.
(b) They are social equals.
(c) Above him.
(d) Beneath him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what play did Dorian see Sibyl that led to his proposal?
2. What does Dorian decide to do with the portrait at the end of Chapter Nine?
3. What does Basil do while Lord Henry and Dorian talk in Chapter Two?
4. How does Dorian react to Sibyl’s performance in Chapter Seven?
5. Who does Basil blame for the change in Dorian, according to Chapter Nine?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)