|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Basil want to do with the portrait of Dorian?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Sell it to a collector.
(c) Hang it in his own home.
(d) Show it at exhibition.
2. From whom did Lord Henry first hear Dorian’s name?
(a) Lady Agatha.
(c) Lord Fermor.
(d) From Dorian himself.
3. What does Dorian decide to do with the portrait at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) Hide it.
(b) Destroy it.
(c) Give it back to Basil.
(d) Allow it to be exhibited.
4. When does Chapter Four begin in relation to Chapter Three?
(a) A month earlier.
(b) A week later.
(c) A month later.
(d) An unspecified amount of time later.
5. What is the format of the Preface to The Picture of Dorian Gray?
(b) A letter.
6. Where is James preparing to go in Chapter Five?
7. Where is Sibyl’s social standing in comparison to Dorian’s?
(a) Above him.
(b) Beneath him.
(c) They are social equals.
(d) This is not revealed in the story.
8. How does Lord Henry react to Dorian’s comments about his philosophy?
(a) He agrees.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He does not react.
(d) He defends his point.
9. Who is at dinner with Lord Henry in Chapter Three?
10. What is Sibyl’s nickname for Dorian?
(a) Prince Charming.
(d) Darling Dorian.
11. What accompanies the book Dorian reads in Chapter Ten?
(a) A pressed clover.
(b) A newspaper clipping.
(c) A photograph.
(d) A bookmark.
12. What is Basil’s occupation?
(c) It is not revealed.
13. What is Dorian’s news at the beginning of Chapter Four?
(a) He is the heir to a fortune.
(b) He has given up his worldly possessions.
(c) He has joined the church.
(d) He is in love.
14. In what play did Dorian see Sibyl that led to his proposal?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) As You Like It.
(c) Richard III.
15. Where does Dorian agree to go with Lord Henry at the end of Chapter Two?
(a) To a gala.
(b) The opera.
(c) To dinner.
(d) The theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Basil refuse to do what Lord Henry wants him to do?
2. Who introduced Dorian to Sibyl?
3. What does Dorian see on his portrait in Chapter Seven?
4. What does Dorian do to his portrait at the end of Chapter Seven?
5. What color is the book Dorian reads in Chapter Ten?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)