|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Basil want to do with the portrait of Dorian?
(a) Sell it to a collector.
(b) Show it at exhibition.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Hang it in his own home.
2. What is Sibyl’s nickname for Dorian?
(c) Prince Charming.
(d) Darling Dorian.
3. What career path does Sibyl suggest for James?
(a) Carriage driver.
(d) Sheep farmer.
4. What is Lord Henry’s interest in Dorian, according to Chapter Six?
(d) None; he has become bored with Dorian.
5. What is Sibyl’s occupation?
(c) Washer woman.
6. What is Basil’s occupation?
(b) It is not revealed.
7. Where does Dorian agree to go with Lord Henry at the end of Chapter Two?
(a) The theater.
(b) To a gala.
(c) The opera.
(d) To dinner.
8. Where do Dorian, Basil, and Lord Henry go at the end of Chapter Six?
(a) To bed.
(b) To dinner.
(c) To the theater.
(d) To Lady Agatha’s home.
9. What is Dorian’s servant’s name, according to Chapter Ten?
10. In what play did Dorian see Sibyl that led to his proposal?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Richard III.
(d) As You Like It.
11. What is Dorian’s housekeeper’s name, according to Chapter Ten?
(a) Mrs. Leaf.
(b) Mrs. Gray.
(c) Mrs. Acres.
(d) Mrs. Vane.
12. What does Dorian ask his housekeeper for in Chapter Ten?
(a) A schoolroom key.
(b) A cellar key.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) Pen and paper.
13. What is Dorian’s news at the beginning of Chapter Four?
(a) He is in love.
(b) He has given up his worldly possessions.
(c) He has joined the church.
(d) He is the heir to a fortune.
14. What is the relationship between James and Sibyl?
(a) Father and daughter.
(b) Brother and sister.
(c) They were once engaged.
15. What does Dorian’s love of Sibyl teach him about Lord Henry’s philosophy, according to Chapter Six?
(a) It is taken from Shakespeare’s plays.
(b) The method works.
(c) It is falsehood.
(d) It does not take things far enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes an announcement at the beginning of Chapter Six?
2. Who is Basil conversing with at the beginning of the story?
3. What does Lord Henry mock at dinner in Chapter Three?
4. What shop does Dorian send a servant to at the beginning of Chapter Ten?
5. What color is the book Dorian reads in Chapter Ten?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)