|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hegel, how can absolute freedom be expressed?
2. What does Hegel say self-consciousness can express as Absolute Spirit?
3. Under what condition does Spirit mean Mind in Hegel's philosophy?
4. How does Hegel describe each action?
5. What term does Hegel use to describe the interrelation of Spirit with events?
Essay Topic 1
According to Hegel, how does the law of the heart affect the individual's development? Analyze the law of the heart and discuss the stages the individual has to pass through when he follows it as well as what transformation(s) result from following it.
Essay Topic 2
How does Hegel's philosophy change in modern times with modern technology? With an argument based in Hegel's text, say whether the Phenomenology of Spirit needs to be updated because of modernity's developments, either in technology or politics or warfare or the arts or culture.
Essay Topic 3
Hegel uses anatomical metaphors to express his theories, such as his comparison of Sensibility to the nervous system, or Reproduction to the intestinal system. What is the role of the body in Hegel's philosophy, and are his metaphors meant to invoke the body as a constant presence behind Hegel's discussion of Reason and the development of the self-consciousness, or are they merely explanatory metaphors?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)