|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does universality have its reality according to Hegel?
2. What happens when Spirit turns back on itself according to Hegel?
3. Why does Hegel say that "property" is superior to "no property"?
4. What is the ultimate result of action according to Hegel?
5. Which culture does Hegel credit with inspiring his insights?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the statue represent in Hegel's view?
2. How does Hegel describe the Absolute Spirit?
3. In what way does Hegel say that humans can continue to progress beyond Absolute Knowledge?
4. According to Hegel, how does the individual experience Absolute Knowledge?
5. How does Hegel define Absolute Freedom?
6. What is the contradiction that governs the self's relationship with morality, in Hegel's view?
7. According to Hegel's philosophy, what is the individual's relationship with society, in terms of the development of ethical behavior?
8. Define the German word Geist.
9. What, in Hegel's view, is the purpose of life?
10. How does Hegel define moments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Hegel writing for everyman or for specific types of people who are interested in a certain kind of self-discovery? Is he defining an archetypal experience of the soul's maturation, or is he talking about the experience divines and mystics undergo as they search for and find enlightenment?
Essay Topic 2
Hegel uses anatomical metaphors to express his theories, such as his comparison of Sensibility to the nervous system, or Reproduction to the intestinal system. What is the role of the body in Hegel's philosophy, and are his metaphors meant to invoke the body as a constant presence behind Hegel's discussion of Reason and the development of the self-consciousness, or are they merely explanatory metaphors?
Essay Topic 3
According to Hegel, in what ways are internal reality and external reality correlated? Analyze the distinction between internal and external reality and describe the correlations that unify them at each stage of Spirit's development? Are they ever completely unified? Are they ever completely separate?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)