|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hegel say has to be his starting point for consciousness?
2. What qualities exist in both "no property" and "property" according to Hegel?
3. What is Hegel searching for in his discussion of morality?
4. What kind of artwork does Hegel discuss as the foundation of revealed religion?
5. What does Hegel call a kind of diffusing selfless Self?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Hegel, how does the individual experience Absolute Knowledge?
2. According to Hegel, how is duty related to action?
3. What does Hegel mean by saying that every action is divisive?
4. What is the contradiction that governs the self's relationship with morality, in Hegel's view?
5. What is God's relationship with the work of art, in Hegel's view?
6. How do light and dark function in natural religion, in Hegel's view?
7. How does Hegel define the artificer?
8. According to Hegel, what do artists and tool makers have in common?
9. What is enlightenment and what are its consequences according to Hegel?
10. What is the effect of Insight on self-consciousness, in Hegel's philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of conflict in Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit? Is there an alternative by which the individual can develop without experiencing conflict? Hegel describes the experience of the world as a sad and unhappy experience for most people. Under what conditions and within what limitations is happiness possible? Is happiness reconcilable with conflict?
Essay Topic 2
In the midst of his discussion of spirit and individuality, Hegel detours into a chapter on property and no property, and even describes communism as an ideal social system for distributing goods. What is the role of this social planning impulse throughout the rest of Phenomenology of Spirit? Is Hegel urging socio-political changes, or is he talking abstractly, or metaphorically, of the soul? How political is Hegel?
Essay Topic 3
According to Hegel, in what ways are internal reality and external reality correlated? Analyze the distinction between internal and external reality and describe the correlations that unify them at each stage of Spirit's development? Are they ever completely unified? Are they ever completely separate?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)