|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hegel, what is the relationship between spiritual life and the day-to-day world?
2. What is freedom at the level of absolute freedom and terror caused by according to Hegel?
3. How is belief transformed into enlightenment according to Hegel?
4. How does Hegel define the self at the higher level of consciousness?
5. Which religion comes first, in Hegel's philosophy?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Hegel, what effect does the awareness of death have on the self?
2. Define the German word Geist.
3. How does Hegel define moments?
4. What is the contradiction that governs the self's relationship with morality, in Hegel's view?
5. How is the Divine Being revealed, in Hegel's philosophy?
6. What does the statue represent in Hegel's view?
7. What is enlightenment and what are its consequences according to Hegel?
8. In Hegel's philosophy, what is the difference between conscience and the moral self-consciousness?
9. According to Hegel's philosophy, what is the progression the self follows?
10. According to Hegel's philosophy, what is the individual's relationship with society, in terms of the development of ethical behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the midst of his discussion of spirit and individuality, Hegel detours into a chapter on property and no property, and even describes communism as an ideal social system for distributing goods. What is the role of this social planning impulse throughout the rest of Phenomenology of Spirit? Is Hegel urging socio-political changes, or is he talking abstractly, or metaphorically, of the soul? How political is Hegel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of conflict in Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit? Is there an alternative by which the individual can develop without experiencing conflict? Hegel describes the experience of the world as a sad and unhappy experience for most people. Under what conditions and within what limitations is happiness possible? Is happiness reconcilable with conflict?
Essay Topic 3
According to Hegel, how does the law of the heart affect the individual's development? Analyze the law of the heart and discuss the stages the individual has to pass through when he follows it as well as what transformation(s) result from following it.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)