|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which culture does Hegel credit with inspiring his insights?
2. What does Hegel say is the Divine?
3. What was Hegel's dread of death influenced by?
4. What does Hegel say is the highest moral function of an individual?
5. What does Hegel say self-consciousness can express as Absolute Spirit?
Essay Topic 1
In the midst of his discussion of spirit and individuality, Hegel detours into a chapter on property and no property, and even describes communism as an ideal social system for distributing goods. What is the role of this social planning impulse throughout the rest of Phenomenology of Spirit? Is Hegel urging socio-political changes, or is he talking abstractly, or metaphorically, of the soul? How political is Hegel?
Essay Topic 2
What is Hegel's relationship with art? What is his ideal artistic form, or is life itself an artistic form for the Absolute Spirit?
Essay Topic 3
Hegel's "Phenomenology of Spirit" describes the process by which an individual progresses from raw nature to manifested spirit. How is "Phenomenology of Spirit" also an allegory of the rite of passage into adulthood?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)