|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work marks the progress through Hegel's text and meanings?
2. Under what condition does Spirit mean Mind in Hegel's philosophy?
3. In Hegel's opinion, what does the universal law of heart lead to?
4. In Hegel's philosophy, what is the relation between property and no property?
5. According the Hegel's philosophy, what is the one state where complete annihilation of difference occurs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hegel define Absolute Freedom?
2. According to Hegel's philosophy, what is the progression the self follows?
3. In what way or under what conditions can self-consciousness itself be moral in Hegel's view?
4. How do light and dark function in natural religion, in Hegel's view?
5. What is enlightenment and what are its consequences according to Hegel?
6. What is God's relationship with the work of art, in Hegel's view?
7. What, in Hegel's view, is the purpose of life?
8. What is the contradiction that governs the self's relationship with morality, in Hegel's view?
9. According to Hegel, how is duty related to action?
10. In what way does Hegel say that humans can continue to progress beyond Absolute Knowledge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Hegel revise the philosophies of the philosophers who influenced him? How did his philosophy turn the developing Romantic movement? What effect did Hegel's philosophy have on the philosophy that came before it? Was it an evolution, a repudiation, an organic growth?
Essay Topic 2
Hegel's philosophy is predicated on the concept of the Spirit's progress from raw material to manifest spirit. Does "Phenomenology of Spirit" contain other views of human existence in which things are eternal and do not progress but remain the same forever? Does Hegel repress the concept of a culture that does not change over time but preserves the same arts and cultural practices from one generation to the next?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hegel's philosophy change in modern times with modern technology? With an argument based in Hegel's text, say whether the Phenomenology of Spirit needs to be updated because of modernity's developments, either in technology or politics or warfare or the arts or culture.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)