|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does morality operate according to Hegel?
2. What is Hegel searching for in his discussion of morality?
3. How does Hegel describe the Absolute?
4. What happens when Spirit turns back on itself according to Hegel?
5. What does the "artificer" represent in Hegel's philosophy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hegel describe the Absolute Spirit?
2. What is the difference between "property" and "no property" in Hegel's view?
3. What is enlightenment and what are its consequences according to Hegel?
4. How does Hegel define the artificer?
5. How does Hegel define Absolute Freedom?
6. According to Hegel, what do artists and tool makers have in common?
7. How is the Divine Being revealed, in Hegel's philosophy?
8. According to Hegel, how does the individual experience Absolute Knowledge?
9. According to Hegel, how is duty related to action?
10. What, in Hegel's view, is the purpose of life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Hegel revise the philosophies of the philosophers who influenced him? How did his philosophy turn the developing Romantic movement? What effect did Hegel's philosophy have on the philosophy that came before it? Was it an evolution, a repudiation, an organic growth?
Essay Topic 2
What are the laws that govern the self in its relation with itself and in its relation with external reality? Discuss the laws that apply to the self in its development. Is development itself one of the world's laws according to Hegel's philosophy?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of conflict in Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit? Is there an alternative by which the individual can develop without experiencing conflict? Hegel describes the experience of the world as a sad and unhappy experience for most people. Under what conditions and within what limitations is happiness possible? Is happiness reconcilable with conflict?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)