|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hegel contrast darkness to?
2. According to Hegel, what is there in common between tool making and the work of art?
3. What does Hegel call a kind of diffusing selfless Self?
4. How does Hegel describe the moral consciousness?
5. What happens when Spirit turns back on itself according to Hegel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hegel uses anatomical metaphors to express his theories, such as his comparison of Sensibility to the nervous system, or Reproduction to the intestinal system. What is the role of the body in Hegel's philosophy, and are his metaphors meant to invoke the body as a constant presence behind Hegel's discussion of Reason and the development of the self-consciousness, or are they merely explanatory metaphors?
Essay Topic 2
What are the laws that govern the self in its relation with itself and in its relation with external reality? Discuss the laws that apply to the self in its development. Is development itself one of the world's laws according to Hegel's philosophy?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between concrete individuality and Absolute Spirit in Hegel's philosophy? They both strike a balance between internal and external reality and experience, but how are they separate terms?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)