|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the belief in the Underworld transform into according to Hegel?
2. What in Hegel's view does individuality gain when it finds itself after being lost to the public order?
3. According to Hegel, what does each action lead to?
4. In Hegel's philosophy, enlightenment is superior to stages of development that are associated with what?
5. Which culture does Hegel credit with inspiring his insights?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Hegel, what does the law of heart do to an individual who follows it?
2. How does Hegel define self-estrangement?
3. How does Hegel account for self-conflict as an opportunity for the self?
4. How does Hegel define duty?
5. According to Hegel, how is duty related to action?
6. How does Hegel define moments?
7. According to Hegel, how does the individual experience Absolute Knowledge?
8. What is God's relationship with the work of art, in Hegel's view?
9. How do light and dark function in natural religion, in Hegel's view?
10. How does Hegel define Absolute Freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What further development stages can the soul undertake to experience, after it becomes an Absolute Spirit, in Hegel's terms? Put another way, what kinds of experience does Hegel leave out of "Phenomenology of Spirit"? Are there mystical or otherwise devout experiences he does not include?
Essay Topic 2
Hegel's "Phenomenology of Spirit" describes the process by which an individual progresses from raw nature to manifested spirit. How is "Phenomenology of Spirit" also an allegory of the rite of passage into adulthood?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the things the self loses along the path of its development toward Absolute Spirit according to Hegel's philosophy. How are the individual's losses compensated with new gains, powers, abilities? Is the self conserved throughout the process, or does it end with more or less than it started with? Is it even still the same thing?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)