|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hegel say is the Divine?
2. How does Hegel look at ethics in the "Moral View of the World" chapter?
3. According to Hegel, what do people ultimately find as a result of Insight?
4. What does Hegel equate with Spirit?
5. In Hegel's view, what does the spark of the Absolute represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hegel account for self-conflict as an opportunity for the self?
2. How does Hegel describe the Absolute Spirit?
3. What is the contradiction that governs the self's relationship with morality, in Hegel's view?
4. According to Hegel, what effect does the awareness of death have on the self?
5. In what way does Hegel say that humans can continue to progress beyond Absolute Knowledge?
6. What does Hegel say about the distribution of wealth?
7. According to Hegel's philosophy, what is the individual's relationship with society, in terms of the development of ethical behavior?
8. How does Hegel define self-estrangement?
9. How is the Divine Being revealed, in Hegel's philosophy?
10. What is the effect of Insight on self-consciousness, in Hegel's philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of conflict in Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit? Is there an alternative by which the individual can develop without experiencing conflict? Hegel describes the experience of the world as a sad and unhappy experience for most people. Under what conditions and within what limitations is happiness possible? Is happiness reconcilable with conflict?
Essay Topic 2
According to Hegel, what is the difference between duty, morality, law and art? These things all help the self mediate between subjective self-awareness and existence as an objective thing in the world. How are duty, morality, law, and art different in how they mediate the different stages of the opposition the self encounters?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of life in Hegel's philosophy? How does that term apply differently to different entities? What are the different stages of purpose?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)