|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hegel relate desire to?
2. According to Hegel, what is it that prevents the development of consciousness from producing societal problems?
3. What else must an individual conquer in order to manifest individuality according to Hegel?
4. According to Hegel, why is the self unhappy?
5. Which modern culture is the most representative descendant of Hegelian thinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hegel mean by saying that every action is divisive?
2. How does Hegel characterize the Course of the World, and what is the result of overcoming it?
3. How does Hegel define hedonism?
4. How does Hegel define "irritability"?
5. How is the Divine Being revealed, in Hegel's philosophy?
6. How does Hegel define force?
7. How does Hegel define the relationship between the lord and the servant?
8. How does Hegel define determinateness?
9. What distinction does the translator Baille draw between "the fact of the matter" and "a matter of fact"?
10. According to Hegel, what effect does the awareness of death have on the self?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the laws that govern the self in its relation with itself and in its relation with external reality? Discuss the laws that apply to the self in its development. Is development itself one of the world's laws according to Hegel's philosophy?
Essay Topic 2
According to Hegel, in what ways are internal reality and external reality correlated? Analyze the distinction between internal and external reality and describe the correlations that unify them at each stage of Spirit's development? Are they ever completely unified? Are they ever completely separate?
Essay Topic 3
Is Hegel writing for everyman or for specific types of people who are interested in a certain kind of self-discovery? Is he defining an archetypal experience of the soul's maturation, or is he talking about the experience divines and mystics undergo as they search for and find enlightenment?
This section contains 1,540 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)