|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way could Hegel see a person, a table and a fruit as all identical?
2. What field does Hegel defend in the Preface and Introduction?
3. What does "the concrete" have in Hegel's account?
4. How does Hegel describe force?
5. What is the relationship between phrenology, physiognomy, and cranioscopy according to Hegel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two meanings Hegel gives to the term "independent self-consciousness"?
2. What qualities does an "organic entity" have according to Hegel?
3. What is the difference between a person and an animal in Hegel's philosophy?
4. What does Hegel mean by saying that consciousness is relational?
5. How can the individual's truths be realized, according to Hegel's philosophy?
6. What was the relationship between philosophy and science in Hegel's time?
7. What is the "conceit of individuality" and what force counters it according to Hegel's philosophy?
8. According to Hegel's account, what is the mind's relationship with itself?
9. How does Hegel define "sensibility"?
10. How does Hegel define Reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hegel's philosophy is predicated on the concept of the Spirit's progress from raw material to manifest spirit. Does "Phenomenology of Spirit" contain other views of human existence in which things are eternal and do not progress but remain the same forever? Does Hegel repress the concept of a culture that does not change over time but preserves the same arts and cultural practices from one generation to the next?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Hegel's ideas concerning the characteristic tensions and conflicts as the individual is transformed from organic nature to Absolute Knowledge, and discuss the process by which the Spirit develops.
Essay Topic 3
How does Hegel's philosophy change in modern times with modern technology? With an argument based in Hegel's text, say whether the Phenomenology of Spirit needs to be updated because of modernity's developments, either in technology or politics or warfare or the arts or culture.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)