|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do objects achieve identity according to Hegel?
2. What role does Hegel say society plays in how man determines his direction?
3. In Hegel's view, how are laws of thought connected?
4. According to Hegel, why is the self unhappy?
5. How does Hegel define "irritability"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How, in Hegel's view, does the self become aware of the contradiction of selfhood?
2. What is the "conceit of individuality" and what force counters it according to Hegel's philosophy?
3. What does a consciousness require in order to use observation at the level of Reason according to Hegel's philosophy?
4. How can the individual's truths be realized, according to Hegel's philosophy?
5. What does Hegel mean by saying that consciousness is relational?
6. How does Hegel define force?
7. What is the difference between "theoretical reason" and "practical reason" in Hegel's terminology?
8. How does Hegel define the relationship between the lord and the servant?
9. How does Hegel characterize the Course of the World, and what is the result of overcoming it?
10. Where do laws come from in Hegel's philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit. Where is the book most itself? Where is it unresolved, or riven with internal tensions? How are those tensions contained? What are the forces that are trying to pull Phenomenology of Spirit apart?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hegel revise the philosophies of the philosophers who influenced him? How did his philosophy turn the developing Romantic movement? What effect did Hegel's philosophy have on the philosophy that came before it? Was it an evolution, a repudiation, an organic growth?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hegel's philosophy change in modern times with modern technology? With an argument based in Hegel's text, say whether the Phenomenology of Spirit needs to be updated because of modernity's developments, either in technology or politics or warfare or the arts or culture.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)