|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hegel's philosophy, independent self-consciousness is both an aspect of concrete individuality and what else?
2. What does Hegel say about the concept of absolute reality?
3. Which claim does Hegel make about the mind?
4. What is meant by Hegel's term "practical reason"?
5. According to Hegel, what is "honest activity" related to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hegel describe consciousness as unhappy?
2. How does Hegel define "sensibility"?
3. What distinction does the translator Baille draw between "the fact of the matter" and "a matter of fact"?
4. According to Hegel's account, what is the mind's relationship with itself?
5. In Hegel's philosophy, what relationship do the sciences--particularly phrenology and craniology--have to do with truth?
6. What does "concrete" mean in Hegel's terminology?
7. What does a consciousness require in order to use observation at the level of Reason according to Hegel's philosophy?
8. How can the individual's truths be realized, according to Hegel's philosophy?
9. How does Hegel characterize the Course of the World, and what is the result of overcoming it?
10. How, in Hegel's view, does the self become aware of the contradiction of selfhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of life in Hegel's philosophy? How does that term apply differently to different entities? What are the different stages of purpose?
Essay Topic 2
What are the laws that govern the self in its relation with itself and in its relation with external reality? Discuss the laws that apply to the self in its development. Is development itself one of the world's laws according to Hegel's philosophy?
Essay Topic 3
According to Hegel, how does the law of the heart affect the individual's development? Analyze the law of the heart and discuss the stages the individual has to pass through when he follows it as well as what transformation(s) result from following it.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)