|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the double consciousness unify according to Hegel's philosophy?
2. What does Hegel recommend for people who conflict with their times and culture?
3. What does Hegel say we have to see in order to understand the truth about a thing?
4. Which modern culture is the most representative descendant of Hegelian thinking?
5. How else do the inner and outer relate, besides being opposites according to Hegel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship of freedom and fate in Hegel's terminology?
2. Why does Hegel describe consciousness as unhappy?
3. How does Hegel define the relationship between the lord and the servant?
4. What qualities does an "organic entity" have according to Hegel?
5. What does a consciousness require in order to use observation at the level of Reason according to Hegel's philosophy?
6. What are the stages by which the conscious mind develops, in Hegel's terminology?
7. What is the difference between "theoretical reason" and "practical reason" in Hegel's terminology?
8. In Hegel's philosophy, what relationship do the sciences--particularly phrenology and craniology--have to do with truth?
9. How, in Hegel's view, does the self become aware of the contradiction of selfhood?
10. What distinction does the translator Baille draw between "the fact of the matter" and "a matter of fact"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Hegel revise the philosophies of the philosophers who influenced him? How did his philosophy turn the developing Romantic movement? What effect did Hegel's philosophy have on the philosophy that came before it? Was it an evolution, a repudiation, an organic growth?
Essay Topic 2
What are the laws that govern the self in its relation with itself and in its relation with external reality? Discuss the laws that apply to the self in its development. Is development itself one of the world's laws according to Hegel's philosophy?
Essay Topic 3
What is Hegel's relationship with art? What is his ideal artistic form, or is life itself an artistic form for the Absolute Spirit?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)