|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which modern culture is the most representative descendant of Hegelian thinking?
2. According to Hegel, why is the self unhappy?
3. According to Hegel, action turns the external world into an arena where what can come into being?
4. What are the elements in Hegel's account?
5. How does the double consciousness unify according to Hegel's philosophy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "concrete" mean in Hegel's terminology?
2. How does Hegel characterize the Course of the World, and what is the result of overcoming it?
3. What is the difference between "theoretical reason" and "practical reason" in Hegel's terminology?
4. Why does Hegel describe consciousness as unhappy?
5. What obstacle is there, in Hegel's terminology, to an individual following the law of the heart?
6. How does Hegel define hedonism?
7. How does Hegel define "irritability"?
8. How does Hegel define the relationship between the lord and the servant?
9. What is the difference between a person and an animal in Hegel's philosophy?
10. How does Hegel define Reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hegel's philosophy change in modern times with modern technology? With an argument based in Hegel's text, say whether the Phenomenology of Spirit needs to be updated because of modernity's developments, either in technology or politics or warfare or the arts or culture.
Essay Topic 2
Hegel's philosophy is predicated on the concept of the Spirit's progress from raw material to manifest spirit. Does "Phenomenology of Spirit" contain other views of human existence in which things are eternal and do not progress but remain the same forever? Does Hegel repress the concept of a culture that does not change over time but preserves the same arts and cultural practices from one generation to the next?
Essay Topic 3
What is Hegel's relationship with art? What is his ideal artistic form, or is life itself an artistic form for the Absolute Spirit?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)