|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hegel focus on when he talks about the abstract work of art?
(a) The hymn.
(b) The abstract painting.
(c) The cathedral.
(d) The sonata.
2. What is Hegel's feeling about communism?
(a) He likes the prospect of everyone being provided for.
(b) He foresees problems with greed and workers' motivations.
(c) He warns against the prospect of militant radicals running the economy.
(d) He dreads the inevitable bureaucratization.
3. What does Hegel contrast darkness to?
4. What does Hegel describe as the theatre for ethical choices?
(a) The Mind.
(b) Daily life.
(c) The universe.
5. In Hegel's philosophy, enlightenment is superior to stages of development that are associated with what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hegel call a kind of diffusing selfless Self?
2. What is the father of science in Hegel's opinion?
3. What happens when Spirit turns back on itself according to Hegel?
4. Whose work did Hegel write in the shadow of?
5. How does Hegel see self-division in an entity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hegel describe the Absolute Spirit?
2. What does Hegel mean by saying that every action is divisive?
3. What does the statue represent in Hegel's view?
4. Define the German word Geist.
5. How does Hegel define duty?
6. According to Hegel, how is duty related to action?
7. According to Hegel, what effect does the awareness of death have on the self?
8. According to Hegel, what do artists and tool makers have in common?
9. What is the contradiction that governs the self's relationship with morality, in Hegel's view?
10. What is the two-fold function of Spirit, in Hegel's philosophy?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)