|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hegel define "irritability"?
(a) As an organism's ability to act out.
(b) As a the consequence of reconciliation.
(c) As a failure of reflection.
(d) As a constant in conscious life.
2. According to Hegel, what is it that prevents the development of consciousness from producing societal problems?
(b) Correct forms.
(d) Organic consciousness.
3. According to Hegel, self-consciousness is aware of itself relative to what?
(a) Conscience and desire.
(b) Objects and universals.
(c) Infant fulfillment and abstract promises.
(d) Desire and loss.
4. In Hegel's philosophy, what is the first stage in the development of the conscious mind?
(a) Universal heart is discovered through individual heart.
(b) The sense of the uniqueness of the heart falls away.
(c) Individual heart is recognized by self-consciousness.
(d) Forces that contradict the individual's feelings occur.
5. How do objects achieve identity according to Hegel?
(a) Through self awareness.
(b) Through determinateness.
(c) Through reflection.
(d) Through assertion.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hegel, pon what does the reality of a notion depend?
2. In Hegel's terminology, what does the term "sensibility" pertain to?
3. What does Hegel explain in the introduction of The Phenomenology of Mind?
4. What does a man gain by doing good work in Hegel's view?
5. What role does Hegel say society plays in how man determines his direction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How, in Hegel's view, does the self become aware of the contradiction of selfhood?
2. How does Hegel define Reason?
3. What is the difference between a person and an animal in Hegel's philosophy?
4. According to Hegel's account, what is the mind's relationship with itself?
5. What is the difference between "theoretical reason" and "practical reason" in Hegel's terminology?
6. What distinction does the translator Baille draw between "the fact of the matter" and "a matter of fact"?
7. How does Hegel define "sensibility"?
8. Why does Hegel describe consciousness as unhappy?
9. How does Hegel define the relationship between the lord and the servant?
10. What is the "conceit of individuality" and what force counters it according to Hegel's philosophy?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)