|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hegel mean by "concrete"?
(a) Filled with potential.
(b) Filled with divine actuality.
(c) Devoid of consciousness.
(d) Experiential and actual.
2. In Hegel's terminology, what does the term "sensibility" pertain to?
(a) A mental construct that organizes sensations.
(b) A physiological apparatus for perception.
(c) A zeitgeist, a spirit of the times.
(d) An entity whose end is itself.
3. Hegel writes that the divisive power of the mind allows the self to define itself relative to what?
(a) The family.
(b) The self.
(c) The individual's past.
(d) The external universe.
4. What were both phrenology and cranioscopy looking for?
(a) A link between form and heredity.
(b) A link between man and God.
(c) A link between man and ape.
(d) A link between form and individual traits.
5. How does Hegel describe force?
(a) Force is an eternal power in the world.
(b) Force is impersonal, natural, and divine.
(c) Force is an attempt to transfer understanding.
(d) Force is a human power to be used against nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hegel classify desires?
2. According to Hegel, what must an individual conquer in order to manifest consciousness and individuality?
3. What does "the concrete" have in Hegel's account?
4. What is a pre-condition to Reason according to Hegel?
5. What is meant by Hegel's term "practical reason"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the two-fold function of Spirit, in Hegel's philosophy?
2. In what way does Hegel say that humans can continue to progress beyond Absolute Knowledge?
3. How does Hegel define Absolute Freedom?
4. How does Hegel define determinateness?
5. How does Hegel define Reason?
6. What was the relationship between philosophy and science in Hegel's time?
7. What, in Hegel's view, is the purpose of life?
8. According to Hegel's philosophy, what is the individual's relationship with society, in terms of the development of ethical behavior?
9. According to Hegel's account, what is the mind's relationship with itself?
10. What does "concrete" mean in Hegel's terminology?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)