|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the term "sensibility" apply according to Hegel?
(a) All humans.
(b) All living things.
(c) Humans and animals.
(d) The entire universe.
2. According to Hegel, self-consciousness is aware of itself relative to what?
(a) Desire and loss.
(b) Infant fulfillment and abstract promises.
(c) Objects and universals.
(d) Conscience and desire.
3. Observation functions with regard to what in Hegel's philosophy?
(a) Life and Death.
(b) History and Spirit.
(c) Past and present.
(d) Nature and Mind.
4. How does Hegel describe the set of things that work against the "law of the heart"?
5. Hegel writes that the divisive power of the mind allows the self to define itself relative to what?
(a) The external universe.
(b) The self.
(c) The individual's past.
(d) The family.
6. What does "the concrete" have in Hegel's account?
(a) Form and universals.
(c) Unique life.
(d) Scientific self-certainty.
7. How does Hegel describe observation?
(a) As a reliable process.
(b) As necessarily flawed.
(c) A contingent on subjectivity.
(d) As a mobile army of metaphors.
8. In Hegel's view, how are laws of thought connected?
(a) By science.
(b) By reason.
(c) By logic.
(d) By history.
9. How does Hegel describe force?
(a) Force is a human power to be used against nature.
(b) Force is an attempt to transfer understanding.
(c) Force is impersonal, natural, and divine.
(d) Force is an eternal power in the world.
10. What does Hegel say is ultimately impossible for a human?
11. What did cranioscopy examine?
(a) The form of the skull.
(b) The evolution of the human skull.
(c) The simliarity of skull shapes within families.
(d) The density of the skull.
12. What does Hegel recommend for people who conflict with their times and culture?
13. What does Hegel say about the concept of absolute reality?
(a) It is an empty notion.
(b) It can only be expressed in art and dreams.
(c) It is beyond the reach of consciousness.
(d) It is a consequence of self-consciousness.
14. What role does Hegel say society plays in how man determines his direction?
(a) Hegel says that society codifies desires with laws.
(b) Hegel says that society works against the direction of the heart.
(c) Hegel says that society inhibits men's freedom.
(d) Hegel says that society provides the foundation for freedom.
15. According to Hegel, pon what does the reality of a notion depend?
(a) Reconciliation of self and reality.
(b) External reality.
(c) Reflective consciousness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hegel describe the process of the World running its Course?
2. What is meant by Hegel's term "practical reason"?
3. What is humanity's tendency according to Hegel?
4. According to Hegel, for what purpose are Unity, Difference and Relation all necessary?
5. How does Hegel define a law?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)