|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Spirit in Self-Estrangement- The Discipline of Culture.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hegel, what constitutes the Course of the World?
(a) The external reality that informs subjectivity.
(b) The events of the world as external reality.
(c) The heart and its desire and development.
(d) The inner events that motivate external reality.
2. Why does Hegel say that the relationship with the bondsman is not fulfilling for the lord?
(a) Because of the nostalgia for pre-lapsarian consciousness.
(b) Because of the imp of the perverse.
(c) Because of the drive to power.
(d) Because of a self-contained counter effect.
3. What are the elements in Hegel's account?
(a) The conditions of archaic existence.
(b) Earth, fire, water, air.
(c) The sun, moon and stars.
(d) The fundamental emotions, anger, desire, pity.
4. How does Hegel describe notions?
(a) As anamnesis.
(b) As actual things.
(c) As aspects of laws.
(d) As contingent on subjectivity.
5. What is meant by Hegel's term "practical reason"?
(a) Instinctual reactions.
(b) Universal truths.
(c) Ideas that result in happiness.
(d) Rational actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hegel writes that the divisive power of the mind allows the self to define itself relative to what?
2. What does Hegel equate with Spirit?
3. In Hegel's philosophy, what is the first stage in the development of the conscious mind?
4. What does Hegel relate desire to?
5. What does Spirit represent for the Mind according to Hegel?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)