|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Virtue & the Course of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a pre-condition to Reason according to Hegel?
(a) Stable sources of food and shelter.
(b) Transcendent self-awareness.
(c) Double consciousness.
(d) Stable self-certainty.
2. What does Hegel say is the goal of individual self-consciousness?
(a) To subjugate the law of the heart to social law.
(b) To engage the law of the heart in dialogue with fate.
(c) To merge the law of the heart with necessity.
(d) To transcend whatever opposes the law of the heart.
3. What else does Reason require in Hegel's philosophy?
(a) Doubt as to the nature of the self and the world.
(b) The self-evidence of the self and the world.
(c) A degree of monomania.
(d) An acceptable myth describing the nature of self and world.
4. What becomes clear as the future becomes the past, according to Hegel?
(a) How free will is an illusion.
(b) How free men are in their decisions.
(c) How fate operates in every detail.
(d) How certain events were inevitable.
5. What is humanity's tendency according to Hegel?
(a) To be driven by desire.
(b) To follow the heart.
(c) To create the will through work.
(d) To evolve toward the spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hegel see the opportunity for good to be manifest through the actions of human beings?
2. What is meant by Hegel's term "practical reason"?
3. What causes the formation of laws according to Hegel?
4. According to Hegel, how does the truth of concrete individuals manifest?
5. Observation functions with regard to what in Hegel's philosophy?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)