|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Moncharmin think was the ghost, in the end?
2. Why does Erik deny that he did anything to the chandelier?
3. What does the Persian want her to turn?
4. What does Moncharmin ask for?
5. What does Raoul want her to turn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the managers decide to trick the ghost, in return?
2. What is the Persian afraid of when Raoul instructs Christine to turn the scorpion?
3. What happened to Christine and Raoul?
4. How does Raoul try to get to Christine?
5. How does Christine respond to the Persian’s conversation?
6. How does Erik discover Raoul is in the chamber?
7. What are some precautions that the managers take with their plan?
8. How did Erik accomplish his tricks?
9. What does Christine finally say she’ll do?
10. What is the end result of the managers’ plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Certain colors in the book have strong associations with them. Which colors are important, and why are these colors important? Examine the importance and symbolism of various colors throughout the book, tying them to characterizations.
Essay Topic 2
Though the novel focuses on singers, other characters, in other roles, also permeate the book. Describe one role in-depth. What are some of the advantages of this role? Disadvantages?
Essay Topic 3
Erik spurns the conventions of his society in a variety of way. How is he a subversive character? Discuss his relationship with Christine as well as his hopes and dreams for the future.
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)