|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Richard think was the ghost, in the end?
2. What is Madame Giry’s reaction when the managers threaten to have her arrested?
3. Why does Erik initially let Christine go?
4. To whom does the head of fire belong?
5. What does Erik call his bag of keys?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Persian and Raoul get into the cellars?
2. What happened to Christine and Raoul?
3. What did the Persian tell Erik to do?
4. How does the ghost trick the managers about his payment?
5. What do the stage managers and other tech people talk about in this chapter?
6. What does Christine finally say she’ll do?
7. What does the Persian say to Raoul?
8. How do the managers decide to trick the ghost, in return?
9. What did Erik say wasn’t his fault?
10. What is the end result of the managers’ plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though the novel is rich in description, more of it is devoted to describing action than anything else. How does Leroux create an ‘action’ novel? Who are the most active characters, and what do they do? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book, “The Phantom of the Opera” uses the term “phantom,” which does not appear anywhere else in the book. What are the possible meanings of this title? Why might Leroux have chosen the word “Phantom” to describe Erik, rather than something else?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Christine and Raoul is equally complex. What are Raoul’s dominant characteristics? How do these support or go against characteristics prevalent in the society of the Opera House? Finally, what (in your opinion) is Raoul’s fate?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)