|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who blocks Raoul from taking the road to Brussels?
2. What does Moncharmin ask for?
3. What does the Persian recognize from earlier?
4. What does Raoul say that bothers the Persian?
5. Why can’t Christine help?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Persian and Raoul get into the cellars?
2. What does Mifroid think of Raoul’s statements?
3. How is the forest created?
4. Why does Raoul ask where Christine is?
5. What does Erik ask of Christine and Raoul?
6. How does Christine respond to the Persian’s conversation?
7. What did the Persian tell Erik to do?
8. How does Raoul try to get to Christine?
9. What has happened to the man who runs the organs?
10. What did Erik say wasn’t his fault?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Certain colors in the book have strong associations with them. Which colors are important, and why are these colors important? Examine the importance and symbolism of various colors throughout the book, tying them to characterizations.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book, “The Phantom of the Opera” uses the term “phantom,” which does not appear anywhere else in the book. What are the possible meanings of this title? Why might Leroux have chosen the word “Phantom” to describe Erik, rather than something else?
Essay Topic 3
Women are often victims in “The Phantom of the Opera.” Is this a misogynistic work? In what ways might it be considered feminist? Are there indications that it may not be, as well?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)