|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meg think about Christine’s singing?
2. What does Christine swear she will never do?
3. How did the former managers communicate with the ghost?
4. What does the ghost wear at the Masked Ball?
5. Where does Raoul say Christine knows him from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will the managers attend a performance in that box?
2. What is Christine’s plan to escape?
3. What has Erik mastered in the opera house to allow him to spy?
4. What is Raoul’s expressed opinion of Christine?
5. Who, or what, follows Raoul and Christine to the roof?
6. What is Raoul’s opinion of Erik?
7. Why are Debienne and Poligny leaving?
8. How does Buquet describe the Opera Ghost?
9. Why does the stable-master want to sack his staff?
10. How do the new managers react to rumors of the ghost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Appearance of the women is hardly mentioned in the context of the novel. Why might this be significant, especially given the time?
Essay Topic 2
Though the novel focuses on singers, other characters, in other roles, also permeate the book. Describe one role in-depth. What are some of the advantages of this role? Disadvantages?
Essay Topic 3
The earlier managers claim they are retiring. Why might this be the case? Do you believe them? What are other reasons they might have left?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)