|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Erik’s voice come from?
2. Where does Raoul say Christine knows him from?
3. Who brought Christine and her father to France?
4. How long has Christine been seeing the Angel?
5. What happens to Joseph Buquet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Phantom’s music.
2. What season is it ? How do we know?
3. Who are Professor and Madame Valerius?
4. What do the managers tell Raoul Christine has taken?
5. What is Raoul’s opinion of Erik?
6. Why does Carlotta invite her admirers to the performance?
7. How does Buquet describe the Opera Ghost?
8. Why does Raoul get angry with Christine in the box?
9. What is strange about the narration in the prologue?
10. What does the Persian think that the ghost is doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leroux leaves the novel on a deliberately ambiguous note. If the novel were to continue, what would the next chapter look like? Use the epilogue as the basis for your fictionalized version.
Essay Topic 2
Women are often victims in “The Phantom of the Opera.” Is this a misogynistic work? In what ways might it be considered feminist? Are there indications that it may not be, as well?
Essay Topic 3
Appearance of the women is hardly mentioned in the context of the novel. Why might this be significant, especially given the time?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)