|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Christine?
2. Who do the managers immediately think is the real ghost?
3. What kind of party happens in Chapter 3?
4. Who follows Christine and Raoul to the roof?
5. What does Richard want to do with the ghost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlotta invite her admirers to the performance?
2. Why does the stable-master want to sack his staff?
3. Who are Professor and Madame Valerius?
4. What happens when the new managers try to sell the box?
5. How does Buquet describe the Opera Ghost?
6. Who, or what, follows Raoul and Christine to the roof?
7. Describe Christine’s relationship with her father.
8. What is Raoul’s opinion of Erik?
9. Why does Raoul get angry with Christine in the box?
10. Why will the managers attend a performance in that box?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Appearance of the women is hardly mentioned in the context of the novel. Why might this be significant, especially given the time?
Essay Topic 2
Christine’s father is one of the most important people in her life, though they are no longer together. Describe what happened to Christine’s father. What was he like, and what was his fate? How does he come into play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Christine and Raoul is equally complex. What are Raoul’s dominant characteristics? How do these support or go against characteristics prevalent in the society of the Opera House? Finally, what (in your opinion) is Raoul’s fate?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)