|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Raoul not believe her?
2. What does Carlotta see that makes her nervous?
3. Where does Raoul say Christine knows him from?
4. What did Richard not know about the opera?
5. How long does Raoul have before he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who, or what, follows Raoul and Christine to the roof?
2. What is strange about the narration in the prologue?
3. Why are the managers to blame for the chandelier, according to the inquest?
4. Why does Raoul get angry with Christine in the box?
5. What happens to the stage and the décor when the managers go to the box?
6. Describe Christine’s relationship with her father.
7. What happens to Christine after she sings?
8. Why does Carlotta invite her admirers to the performance?
9. Who are Professor and Madame Valerius?
10. What do the managers tell Raoul Christine has taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raoul’s brother seems to be an important character, and yet dies during the book. Why does he die? Is this a heroic death? Do you think he would be proud of what happened to him?
Essay Topic 2
Christine’s father is one of the most important people in her life, though they are no longer together. Describe what happened to Christine’s father. What was he like, and what was his fate? How does he come into play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Christine and Raoul is equally complex. What are Raoul’s dominant characteristics? How do these support or go against characteristics prevalent in the society of the Opera House? Finally, what (in your opinion) is Raoul’s fate?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)