|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the children sleep?
2. What wild animal almost broke into the camp?
3. What did the book they follow mostly consist of?
4. How would James keep in touch with his family?
5. What was in the middle of the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Independence, Missouri so famous?
2. What was "The Emigrants Guide to Oregon and California" like?
3. What happened with Edward Breen?
4. How did the Reed wagons do on the journey?
5. What was crossing the desert like?
6. What happened to the oxen during the six days it took to get through the desert?
7. Explain the idea behind "manifest destiny."
8. Why did some of the people in Springfield question James Reed's ideas?
9. How did Charles Stanton helped the traveling party?
10. What would they have to do in order to cross a river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What obstacles did the rescue parties have to overcome to save the members of the Donner Party?
Essay Topic 2
What were the troubles that the members of the wagon train faced as they crossed the Great Salt Lake Desert? How did it affect the humans, and how did it affect the animals? What did it do for group morale?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail why James Reed was banished and what the team promised to his family. Then comment on how they treated the family in actuality.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)