|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bridger promote the shortcut?
2. How did Patrick Breen contribute to the fires at night?
3. How did the Murphy clan and the Reeds and Donners get along?
4. Why did Sarah Keyes join the wagon train?
5. What did the surface of the desert consist of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of obstacles did people on wagon trains frequently have to face?
2. Explain the idea behind "manifest destiny."
3. What happened to James Reed after he killed Snyder?
4. Why did Virginia's father choose to take his family to California?
5. Why did some of the people in Springfield question James Reed's ideas?
6. What did Clyman talk to Reed about?
7. How were tasks divvied up on the wagon train?
8. Even though Hastings didn't meet them at the Fort, why did they continue to go on to take the Cutoff?
9. What happened to the group as they reached near the summit of Sierra Nevada?
10. What did James Reed say that persuaded the man to take Hastings' Cutoff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did the group expect of the weather when they reached the Sierra Nevada? What decisions did they make, and what warnings did they have that they should have paid more heed to? Why didn't they heed the warnings?
Essay Topic 2
How did the descendants of the Donner Party feel about their relatives? What reputations did they have to live down?
Essay Topic 3
What were the troubles that the members of the wagon train faced as they crossed the Great Salt Lake Desert? How did it affect the humans, and how did it affect the animals? What did it do for group morale?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)