|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did James Reed think they would hit the Sierra Nevada?
2. Why did Sarah Keyes join the wagon train?
3. How did Patrick Breen contribute to the fires at night?
4. What did the travelers eat for lunch?
5. Where was James Reed from originally?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did each family have three wagons?
2. How were tasks divvied up on the wagon train?
3. What happened with Edward Breen?
4. How many miles a day did the Donner Party plan to go, and what with their actual pace?
5. Even though Hastings didn't meet them at the Fort, why did they continue to go on to take the Cutoff?
6. What did James Reed say that persuaded the man to take Hastings' Cutoff?
7. What happened to John Snyder when his oxen team's yolks got tangled?
8. What did Clyman talk to Reed about?
9. What was crossing the desert like?
10. Why did Virginia's father choose to take his family to California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the troubles that the members of the wagon train faced as they crossed the Great Salt Lake Desert? How did it affect the humans, and how did it affect the animals? What did it do for group morale?
Essay Topic 2
What disrupted James Reed's attempt to put together rescue teams? How did he manage to eventually get help?
Essay Topic 3
What happened at the campfire that led to Patrick Dolan's death?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)