|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Virginia feel about losing the Pioneer Palace Car?
(a) It didn't seem to bother her much.
(b) She was devastated.
(c) She thought it was practical.
(d) It made her angry.
2. How did people learn about the story of the Donner Party?
(a) From newspapers
3. Why did Virginia write such a long letter?
(a) She wanted her writing to be a part of history.
(b) She didn't have the time to make a short letter.
(c) She used her writing as a journal.
(d) She had promised her cousin that she would write to her and tell her about the trip once she reached California.
4. What happened to the dogs that were traveling with the group?
(a) They were given to the Native Americans.
(b) They were used to guard against wild animals.
(c) They were let loose.
(d) The humans had to eat them.
5. What did Virginia write about her father's banishment?
(a) She said it was fair.
(b) She didn't write about it at all.
(c) She wrote that his punishment was very unjust.
(d) She only said that he had to go on to California for provisions. D
Short Answer Questions
1. Who went off to find help nine days before Christmas?
2. What happened to George Donner's hand?
3. What was the weather like as the snowshoers traveled?
4. What happened when Mrs. Reed first saw her husband?
5. What happened to the food that the rescuers had stashed along the journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Miwok Indians do to help them?
2. What troubles did they face as they waited out the winter?
3. How did William Eddy react to the plan that Williams Foster had- to kill the Indians?
4. How many people were stuck camping near the lake, and how many people went off to find help nine days before Christmas?
5. What happened to the members of the Reed family?
6. How did Virginia inadvertently help the world hear about what happened to the Donner Party?
7. Why couldn't all the survivors get rescued at once?
8. What was the Reed reunion like?
9. How did the Donner party story affect emigrants traveling West?
10. How did Virginia tell her cousin about the personal atrocities that happened on the trail?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)