|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the snowshoers think it would take them to get to the first settlement in California?
(a) 14 days
(b) 6 days
(c) 30 days
(d) 2 days
2. How did Victoria react to the cannibalism?
(a) She was surprised that anyone would find it abnormal in the circumstances.
(b) She was very matter-of-fact about it.
(c) The idea of it made her nauseous.
(d) She didn't mention it.
3. How did they help Jimmy Reed travel?
(a) They threatened him.
(b) They put him on a sled.
(c) They encouraged him by telling him that every step he took was getting closer to Papa.
(d) They carried him.
4. What kind of soup did they eat daily?
(b) Stone soup
(d) Ox hide
5. What happened to the food that the rescuers had stashed along the journey?
(a) Wild animals had eaten it.
(b) Nothing. It was all there.
(c) It was stolen by Native Americans.
(d) It rotted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was completed in 1857, making traveling to California easier?
2. What happened to George Donner's hand?
3. How did the survivors respond when they saw the rescuers?
4. How did people learn about the story of the Donner Party?
5. How did Patrick Dolan die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did they go about deciding who should be cannibalized?
2. What did William Eddy and William Foster find when they went to rescue their families? Who did they rescue?
3. How did Virginia inadvertently help the world hear about what happened to the Donner Party?
4. How many people were stuck camping near the lake, and how many people went off to find help nine days before Christmas?
5. Why couldn't all the survivors get rescued at once?
6. How did Virginia tell her cousin about the personal atrocities that happened on the trail?
7. What troubles did they face as they waited out the winter?
8. What did the Miwok Indians do to help them?
9. What happened to Louis Keseberg?
10. What was the Reed reunion like?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)