|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to George Donner's hand?
(a) It was chopped off.
(b) He developed frostbite.
(c) He had a cut that was becoming infected.
(d) It was severely burned.
2. Why did they consider drawing lots?
(a) To see who would go without dinner
(b) To see who would be in charge of tending the fire throughout the night
(c) To see who would go ahead alone to find help
(d) To see who should die so the others could live
3. Who did Mrs. Murphy say they ought to eat?
4. What did the rescuers tell the survivors about Forlorn Hope?
(a) They were detained due to badly frostbitten feet.
(b) They died.
(c) They were lost.
(d) They were all fine with no problems.
5. What happened to the teenager who ate a lot of food after surviving?
(a) He threw it all back up.
(b) They all laughed in happiness.
(c) He wrote about his amazing meal in his journal.
(d) He died in agony because his body could not digest it.
6. Patty is the following items from everyone except for:
(a) A hairbrush
(b) A small wooden doll
(c) A lock of her grandmother's hair
(d) A glass salt shaker
7. Where did one woman think the rescuers came from?
8. What kind of relationship did the survivors have?
(a) They gathered together annually to commemorate their survival and mourn those who died.
(b) They deliberately rejected each other.
(c) Most survivors who weren't related didn't keep in touch.
(d) They were more like one big family after the experience.
9. What instinctive rule comes into play regarding cannibalism?
(a) No-one talked about it.
(b) They kept their eyes shut while eating.
(c) People only ate their loved ones.
(d) Members of a family try not to eat their own dead.
10. What happened when Margaret tried to cross the mountain?
(a) She missed her children too much so she came back.
(b) Her compass broke, and she had to turn back.
(c) The snow was too deep.
(d) She became ill.
11. What special meal did the Reed children have for Christmas?
(a) Venison stew
(b) Bear meat and beans
(c) Beans, rice, and dried apple slices
(d) Fresh bones to gnaw on
12. What did William Graves believe about when the group's troubles began?
(a) He believed it was a test to determine their strength as a unit.
(b) He thought it was a punishment from God for leaving Mr. Hardcoop to die. O
(c) He believed they should have been more aware of what was going on.
(d) He believed it was bad karma.
13. Who had given William Eddy the secret gift that he found in his pack?
(a) His wife, Eleanor
14. How did they help Jimmy Reed travel?
(a) They threatened him.
(b) They put him on a sled.
(c) They carried him.
(d) They encouraged him by telling him that every step he took was getting closer to Papa.
15. How many people left with the first rescue team?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to John Breen in California?
2. Who was the first snowshoer to die?
3. Why didn't the Piutes help the travelers?
4. What did Louis Keseberg do in California?
5. How long did the snowshoers think it would take them to get to the first settlement in California?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)