|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Victoria react to the cannibalism?
(a) The idea of it made her nauseous.
(b) She was surprised that anyone would find it abnormal in the circumstances.
(c) She was very matter-of-fact about it.
(d) She didn't mention it.
2. Why did Virginia write such a long letter?
(a) She used her writing as a journal.
(b) She had promised her cousin that she would write to her and tell her about the trip once she reached California.
(c) She didn't have the time to make a short letter.
(d) She wanted her writing to be a part of history.
3. How did Margaret and Elizabeth Graves get along?
(a) They ignored each other.
(b) They hated each other.
(c) They tolerated each other.
(d) They were best friends.
4. What role did the granite rock have in constructing dwellings?
(a) They used it to sharpen their knives so they could chop trees for their housing.
(b) It gave them a foundation.
(c) They chipped at the granite to make wall coverings.
(d) It acted as a wall and chimney.
5. What instinctive rule comes into play regarding cannibalism?
(a) Members of a family try not to eat their own dead.
(b) No-one talked about it.
(c) They kept their eyes shut while eating.
(d) People only ate their loved ones.
6. What did Louis Keseberg do in California?
(a) He ran a hotel and restaurant.
(b) He became a law officer.
(c) He earned a reputation as a thief.
(d) He started lecturing on the Donner Party experience.
7. What did emigrants do once they realize that they were trapped?
(a) They began to make dwellings.
(b) They hunted for food.
(c) They turned around.
(d) They cried.
8. What was the weather like as the snowshoers traveled?
(d) The sun was starting to melt the snow
9. Where did George and Jacob Donner and their families camp?
(a) At the summit
(b) In California
(c) At Alder Creek
(d) At Tuskegee Lake
10. What lured emigrants to California in 1849 in 1850?
(a) They wanted to meet the members of the Donner Party.
(b) The new railroad
(c) The discovery of silver
(d) The discovery of gold
11. How many people left with the first rescue team?
12. How long did the snowshoers think it would take them to get to the first settlement in California?
(a) 30 days
(b) 14 days
(c) 6 days
(d) 2 days
13. How did they stay warm at night?
(a) They built a huge fire.
(b) They drank whiskey.
(c) They layered their clothing.
(d) They huddled together under a blanket near the fire.
14. How did the rescue party find the survivors?
(a) They followed trails.
(b) They asked the Native Americans.
(c) They used a detailed map.
(d) They saw the swirls of smoke coming from the cabins.
15. What is cannibalism?
(a) When you only eat soup
(b) The eating of human flesh
(c) When you are overly aggressive
(d) A type of disease that infects children
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Foster want to kill?
2. Who went off to find help nine days before Christmas?
3. What did the rescuers tell the survivors about Forlorn Hope?
4. Patty is the following items from everyone except for:
5. Why didn't the Piutes help the travelers?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)