|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the native Americans help the snow shoers?
(a) They carried them back to the camp.
(b) They went and got help for them.
(c) They fed them pine nuts and acorn bread.
(d) They gave them maps to California.
2. Patty is the following items from everyone except for:
(a) A hairbrush
(b) A small wooden doll
(c) A glass salt shaker
(d) A lock of her grandmother's hair
3. Where did George and Jacob Donner and their families camp?
(a) At the summit
(b) At Alder Creek
(c) In California
(d) At Tuskegee Lake
4. What did William Eddy find in his pack?
(b) A knife
(c) Bear meat
5. What happened to George Donner's hand?
(a) It was chopped off.
(b) It was severely burned.
(c) He developed frostbite.
(d) He had a cut that was becoming infected.
6. What was the problem with Tommy?
(a) His leg wound was infected.
(b) He wouldn't stop coughing.
(c) He couldn't breathe right.
(d) He couldn't walk through the deep snow, and they couldn't carry him.
7. How did Patrick Dolan die?
(a) He died from infection.
(b) He ate poisoned meat.
(c) He was killed.
(d) He hallucinated and broke away from the fire then died of cold and starvation.
8. How did Mary Murphy feel after her ordeal?
(a) She was very grateful to survive.
(b) She felt as if she had nothing to live for.
(c) She felt like they deserved what they went through.
(d) She was eager to move on.
9. How many rescue parties left Sutters Fort?
10. How did they stay warm at night?
(a) They drank whiskey.
(b) They huddled together under a blanket near the fire.
(c) They layered their clothing.
(d) They built a huge fire.
11. Who went off to find help nine days before Christmas?
(a) Virginia Reed
(b) James Reed
(c) The snowshoers
(d) Virginia's mother
12. Where did one woman think the rescuers came from?
13. What did the Murphy children end out eating?
(a) A rug
(c) Their book
14. Who led the first rescue party that reached the survivors?
(a) Aquillal Glover
(b) Nobody reached them
(c) James Reed
(d) Charles Stanton
15. What happened to the people who resorted to cannibalism?
(a) They became ill.
(b) They died.
(d) They grew stronger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the food that the rescuers had stashed along the journey?
2. What instinctive rule comes into play regarding cannibalism?
3. What did the rescuers tell the survivors about Forlorn Hope?
4. What was life like for the Donner Party survivors in California?
5. How did Virginia feel about losing the Pioneer Palace Car?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)