|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How with the group feeling by the time they reached the shore of the Great Salt Lake?
(c) Tired but happy
(d) Worn-out and discouraged
2. What was the Hastings Cutoff trail like?
(a) It was beautiful every step of the way.
(b) It was a clear path.
(c) It was barely discernible.
(d) It was marked by Hastings.
3. What did Hastings promise the Donner Party in his letter?
(a) He promised he would personally escort them through the shortcut.
(b) There was food on the trail.
(c) They would move quickly through the tough parts.
(d) The way was easier up ahead.
4. How did the Reed women feel about the trip?
(a) They were very excited about the adventure.
(b) They thought they would regret it.
(c) They braced themselves for the harshness of it.
(d) It was going much better than they expected.
5. How long did it take the group to prepare to travel?
(a) Two years
(b) A week
(c) Two days
(d) Several months
6. How close were the travelers to the summit when they decided to rest and got snowed in?
(a) 50 miles
(b) Three miles
(c) 20 miles
(d) 1/4 mile
7. What did the travelers do before they headed across the desert?
(a) They rested for a few days in the beautiful valley.
(b) They wrote letters to send back to their relatives.
(c) They made hats to protect themselves from sand and sun.
(d) They prayed.
8. What was the Donner Party running low on?
9. How fast was the Donner Party moving as they blazed through the Wasatch?
(a) 2 miles a day
(b) 8 miles a day
(c) 10 miles a day
(d) 15 miles a day
10. Where was the family going to move to?
11. What did the book they follow mostly consist of?
(a) Advice for travel
(c) Packing lists
(d) Weather reports
12. How many times did the company end up fording the Truckee River?
(a) At least 22 times
(c) At least 30 times
(d) 5 times
13. What did the note from Hastings on the stick say?
(a) His party had gotten ill so they were delayed.
(b) The trail ahead was very bad, and they should wait for Hastings.
(c) He said he would be with them shortly.
(d) He told them to turn around and go back.
14. What did the travelers eat for lunch?
(c) Bread and beef jerkey
15. What happened to James Reed after he killed Snyder?
(a) He had to bury Snyder as punishment.
(b) He was hung.
(c) He was banished.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the United States end?
2. Why did they decide to take the cutoff?
3. What was the Caw tribe like?
4. What book did Reed and Donner use for guidance?
5. What did Stanton recommend that the group do before crossing the Sierra Nevada Mountains?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)