|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reputation did the 40 mile desert have?
(a) It was forgiving for a desert.
(b) It was a death trap.
(c) It was more beautiful than other deserts.
(d) It was a graveyard for abandoned wagons.
2. How deep was the snow by the time they reached Truckee Lake?
(a) 5 feet
(b) It was up to their thighs.
(c) 1 foot deep
(d) There wasn't any snow.
3. How close were the travelers to the summit when they decided to rest and got snowed in?
(a) Three miles
(b) 50 miles
(c) 1/4 mile
(d) 20 miles
4. How did Pike die?
(a) He was murdered.
(b) His pistol accidentally fired off as he reloaded it.
(c) He died of illness.
(d) He died of infection.
5. What happened to the letters that Bryant sent Reed?
(a) Reed tore them up without reading them.
(b) Reed never received them.
(c) They were given to Donner instead.
(d) Reed laughed when he read them.
6. What did the book they follow mostly consist of?
(a) Advice for travel
(c) Weather reports
(d) Packing lists
7. What was the Donner Party running low on?
8. Who possessed the west?
(a) Native Americans
9. What happened to Mr. Wolfinger?
(a) He went off to find help.
(b) He became ill.
(c) He died from an infection on his leg.
(d) He was found murdered.
10. Independence, Missouri known for all of these except what?
(a) It was the crossroads for pioneers heading west to California.
(b) It was the crossroads for pioneers heading east to New York.
(c) It was the crossroads for pioneers heading west to Oregon.
(d) It was the crossroads for pioneers heading south along the Santa Fe Trail.
11. How old was Virginia Elizabeth Backenstoe Reed when the family left Illinois?
(a) Almost 18
(b) Almost 25
(c) Almost 7
(d) Almost 13
12. How long did the travelers expect to be in the Great Salt Lake Desert?
(a) 1 very long and hard day
(b) 14 days
(c) 3-4 days
(d) 7-8 days
13. What happened to James Reed after he killed Snyder?
(a) He had to bury Snyder as punishment.
(c) He was banished.
(d) He was hung.
14. How did the Reed women feel about the trip?
(a) It was going much better than they expected.
(b) They thought they would regret it.
(c) They braced themselves for the harshness of it.
(d) They were very excited about the adventure.
15. What happened when Hardcoop could no longer walk?
(a) They let him lie in the wagons.
(b) They carried him on their backs.
(c) They left him behind to die.
(d) They made crutches for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wagons did the Reeds lose in the desert?
2. How did Virginia spend her days after leaving Missouri?
3. When did they think the summit would be snowed in?
4. How many states were in the Union in the spring of 1846?
5. Why did Reed kill Snyder?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)