|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How fast was the Donner Party moving as they blazed through the Wasatch?
(a) 10 miles a day
(b) 15 miles a day
(c) 8 miles a day
(d) 2 miles a day
2. What did the travelers use instead of firewood to keep their fires going?
(a) Buffalo dung
(b) Paraffin wax
3. What did the travelers do before they headed across the desert?
(a) They wrote letters to send back to their relatives.
(b) They prayed.
(c) They rested for a few days in the beautiful valley.
(d) They made hats to protect themselves from sand and sun.
4. Where did the United States end?
(c) New Mexico
5. Why did Sarah Keyes join the wagon train?
(a) She was ready for a new adventure.
(b) She would have been homeless if she stayed there.
(c) She couldn't bear the thought of having her grandchildren leave her.
(d) She wanted to see her son who lived out west.
6. What did the skilled explorers find about Hastings shortcut?
(a) Traveling it with oxen would be suicide.
(b) It was fine if the travelers were experts.
(c) It was easier to travel than they had thought.
(d) It was tricky in areas.
7. How many wagons did the Reeds lose in the desert?
8. What happened to 13-year-old Edward Breen?
(a) He was lost.
(b) He fell off his horse and broke his leg.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He died from illness.
9. What wild animal almost broke into the camp?
10. What happened to William Eddie's oxen?
(a) They wandered away.
(b) They died of starvation.
(c) They were stolen and killed by the Paiutes.
(d) They were killed by members of the wagon train.
11. Where did the children sleep?
(a) Under the wagon
(b) On Grandma's bed
(c) Around the campfire
(d) In a second story loft
12. What was the Hastings Cutoff trail like?
(a) It was barely discernible.
(b) It was a clear path.
(c) It was marked by Hastings.
(d) It was beautiful every step of the way.
13. What did the surface of the desert consist of?
(b) Nipping mites
(c) Salt and alkali
(d) Copper-colored powdery sand
14. What West Hastings' occupation?
15. How old was Virginia Elizabeth Backenstoe Reed when the family left Illinois?
(a) Almost 18
(b) Almost 13
(c) Almost 25
(d) Almost 7
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bridger promote the shortcut?
2. How many miles would the cutoff save them?
3. What was the Caw tribe like?
4. How did the Reed women feel about the trip?
5. What did the children suck on to bring forth saliva?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)