|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who possessed the west?
(a) Native Americans
2. What did the book they follow mostly consist of?
(a) Weather reports
(b) Advice for travel
(d) Packing lists
3. What was George Donner's occupation?
(a) He ran a grocery store.
(b) He ran mills and made furniture.
4. How old was Virginia Elizabeth Backenstoe Reed when the family left Illinois?
(a) Almost 13
(b) Almost 25
(c) Almost 18
(d) Almost 7
5. What happened to Virginia's aunt according to her stories?
(a) She fought against the Indians.
(b) She was held hostage by Indians.
(c) She learned how to become a tracker from the Indians.
(d) She became an Indian princess.
6. What did the families do in the evening?
(a) They hunted.
(b) They went to bed very early.
(c) Prepared for the next day.
7. What did the note from Hastings on the stick say?
(a) His party had gotten ill so they were delayed.
(b) The trail ahead was very bad, and they should wait for Hastings.
(c) He said he would be with them shortly.
(d) He told them to turn around and go back.
8. How fast was the Donner Party moving as they blazed through the Wasatch?
(a) 8 miles a day
(b) 10 miles a day
(c) 15 miles a day
(d) 2 miles a day
9. What happened to William Eddie's oxen?
(a) They were stolen and killed by the Paiutes.
(b) They died of starvation.
(c) They wandered away.
(d) They were killed by members of the wagon train.
10. What is caching, according to the emigrants?
(a) Dumping items out of the wagon
(b) Putting food aside in rations
(c) Storing food they found on the trail
(d) Removing furniture and burying it to prevent theft
11. How did Virginia spend her days after leaving Missouri?
(a) Reading to her grandmother
(b) Steering the wagons
(c) Minding the little ones
(d) On her pony
12. What was the Hastings Cutoff trail like?
(a) It was barely discernible.
(b) It was a clear path.
(c) It was beautiful every step of the way.
(d) It was marked by Hastings.
13. What was in the middle of the desert?
(a) A cabin
(b) A huge cactus
(c) A mountain
(d) A lake
14. How many times did the company end up fording the Truckee River?
(a) At least 22 times
(c) At least 30 times
(d) 5 times
15. Where was the family going to move to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the men do to the wagon wheels after crossing the Platte?
2. What did Reed want out west?
3. Why did the travelers want to get to their destination by winter?
4. What was the Reed wagon later called?
5. How deep was the snow by the time they reached Truckee Lake?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)