|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Francesca's enemies know of her to lack?
2. Where does Lena Strudwarden wish to spend Easter?
3. What kind of caravan does Elaine pass as she is out riding her horse?
4. Where is the train heading in "The Disappearance of Crispina Umbreleigh"?
5. According to the Baroness Gruebel , what will happen if someone is to die in the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Francesca pride herself on?
2. What news does James Cushat-Prinkly have for his family at the end of "Tea"?
3. Why were there so many barn owls on the fighting line? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
4. What does the National Peace Council say were inappropriate toys?
5. Where does Jane lose her niece Louise?
6. What is Francesca's most prized possession?
7. What happened to the birds during the first year of the battle? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
8. Why is Francesca considered "one of those women" that Fate had the best intentions for?
9. What does Dr. Stronetz do that spares Dimitri from being murdered? ("The Death Trap.")
10. What was to happen on the day that Mrs. Umberleigh disappeared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
None of the characters in the text were described in detail. Pieces of each character were given sporadically in a collaboration of different texts. Why do you think that Saki used this technique to create his characters? Support your hypothesis with at least three well-developed supporting statements
Essay Topic 2
Irony in most of the texts is very prevalent. Detail and describe at least three different ironic elements of the text. What happened? Why was it ironic? Why did irony serve important in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Many people have believed that Saki placed himself in all, or many, of his texts as a main character. Create a hypothesis stating whether or not you believe Saki injected himself in his texts and what the purpose served for Saki. (Do you think that he was creating himself as the person he wished to be, the person he was, or as a mask?) Support your answer completely.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)