|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the theater that both Comus and the author of "The Woman Who Wished it was Wednesday" were at?
2. What is Girnitz's favorite weapon?
3. What happened that stopped the egg-seller from being able to get rich off of square eggs?
4. What is happening as the curtain rises in "The Death Trap"?
5. How much is the yearly ransom that is to be paid for the return of Crispina Umbreleigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does James Cushat-Prinkly have for his family at the end of "Tea"?
2. Why is Francesca considered "one of those women" that Fate had the best intentions for?
3. Where does Jane lose her niece Louise?
4. What does Francesca pride herself on?
5. Why does Youghal state that he is not fond of Jews?
6. Why were the magpies restricted to where they could build their nests? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
7. What is Francesca's most prized possession?
8. What is the irony regarding Dr. Stronetz's plan to save Dimitri's life? ("The Death Trap.")
9. Why is Dr. Stronetz worried about Dimitir staying in the castle? ("The Death Trap.")
10. What does Dr. Stronetz suggest to Dimitri regarding a speedy death? ("The Death Trap.")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Saki used a lot of animals in his texts. Why do you believe Saki used so many animals? How do you believe he felt about them? What could the animals represent for Saki? Does Saki give a favorable impression of animals or not? Why? Support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Loss was a major theme in many of the texts. But, for Saki as the author, the feeling of loss did not seem to affect him (or his characters). Describe at least three texts that illustrate loss, the character's reaction to the loss, and how you believe Saki felt about loss.
Essay Topic 3
Write a full analysis on one of the texts. Imagine that you are writing the analysis for a newspaper or magazine article. Focus analysis on character, theme, literary devices, hidden meaning, etc.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)