|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time, in Amalie's tale, would wolves begin to howl?
2. Why is Dimitri going to be killed?
3. According to another myth, as told by Amalie, who must die for the legend to come true?
4. Where does the opening in "The Death Trap" take place?
5. According to the wine merchant, what is the "feminine craze" at the time of his aunt's disappearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the demands of Mrs. Umberleigh's "captives" regarding her ransom? ("The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh.")
2. What does poultry farmer consider to be the one draw back of eggs?
3. What news does James Cushat-Prinkly have for his family at the end of "Tea"?
4. What does Dimitri plan to do because of his illness? ("The Death Trap.")
5. What does the National Peace Council say were inappropriate toys?
6. Why were there so many barn owls on the fighting line? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
7. What gifts does Harvey give to his nephews?
8. What does Dr. Stronetz suggest to Dimitri regarding a speedy death? ("The Death Trap.")
9. What actually happened to Mrs. Umberleigh in "The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh"?
10. Where does Jane lose her niece Louise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Saki's life translate into his writings? What personal attributes did he use to create his characters? Name and define at least three personal attributes and the parallel to the character.
Essay Topic 2
Write a new introduction to the collection. Reread the Introduction (written in 1967) and create a new introduction. Follow the main ideas that the introduction writer used. This essay should encompass short, focused thoughts on each of the texts in the collection - much like the current introduction. This essay is meant to focus on the problems, concerns and highlights of the text for you as the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Saki used many literary techniques in his writing. Chose a literary technique that you believe was prevalent in many of the texts. Describe Saki's use of the technique in at least three of his stories. What is the technique? What was the story? How was it used?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)