|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dimitri going to be killed?
2. What was Francesca known as when she was younger?
3. Who warns Dimitri that he must leave the castle or be killed?
4. Where did Courtenay Youghal's "plum-roan gelding" win a prize?
5. Who "sat immersed in mature flirtation" on a bench facing the Northern Pheasantry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Stronetz do that spares Dimitri from being murdered? ("The Death Trap.")
2. Why is Francesca considered "one of those women" that Fate had the best intentions for?
3. What is the legend surrounding the castle in "The Wolves of Cernogratz"?
4. What do some of the boys tell Lancelot Chetrof his punishment will be for missing football practice?
5. What does the poultry farmer say that he has done to solve the round problem of eggs?
6. What were the demands of Mrs. Umberleigh's "captives" regarding her ransom? ("The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh.")
7. What does poultry farmer consider to be the one draw back of eggs?
8. What does Dr. Stronetz suggest to Dimitri regarding a speedy death? ("The Death Trap.")
9. What gifts does Harvey give to his nephews?
10. Why does Merla Blathington love Bond Street?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony in most of the texts is very prevalent. Detail and describe at least three different ironic elements of the text. What happened? Why was it ironic? Why did irony serve important in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Many of Saki's writings included some type of humor. Humor seemed to be a way for Saki to engage the reader in an otherwise mundane storyline. Find three examples of humor in a text that depended upon humor. Explain why the humor was necessary, what type of humor was used and what the result of the humor had on the text itself.
Essay Topic 3
Loss was a major theme in many of the texts. But, for Saki as the author, the feeling of loss did not seem to affect him (or his characters). Describe at least three texts that illustrate loss, the character's reaction to the loss, and how you believe Saki felt about loss.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)