|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Dimitri been only once (he thought the city seemed magical)?
2. What is the name of the hotel, where Elaine Youghal eats lunch, that is one of Vienna's most expensive hotels?
3. What do Francesca's enemies know of her to lack?
4. What is Girnitz's favorite weapon?
5. Where, according to "The Square Egg," are the best eggs raised?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Youghal state that he is not fond of Jews?
2. Where does Jane lose her niece Louise?
3. Why is there no system of reward in Hell?
4. Why were there so many barn owls on the fighting line? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
5. Why is Francesca considered "one of those women" that Fate had the best intentions for?
6. What does poultry farmer consider to be the one draw back of eggs?
7. What does Dr. Stronetz do that spares Dimitri from being murdered? ("The Death Trap.")
8. What is the last action in "The Death Trap"?
9. What does Dr. Stronetz suggest to Dimitri regarding a speedy death? ("The Death Trap.")
10. What were the demands of Mrs. Umberleigh's "captives" regarding her ransom? ("The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh.")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The section titled "The Square Egg" showed a very different side of Saki. Why do you think that the writings from this section were so different from the other sections? How did the happenings in Saki's life at this point change his writing? What seemed to be his focus?
Essay Topic 2
Saki used a lot of animals in his texts. Why do you believe Saki used so many animals? How do you believe he felt about them? What could the animals represent for Saki? Does Saki give a favorable impression of animals or not? Why? Support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Loss was a major theme in many of the texts. But, for Saki as the author, the feeling of loss did not seem to affect him (or his characters). Describe at least three texts that illustrate loss, the character's reaction to the loss, and how you believe Saki felt about loss.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)