|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "The Infernal Parliament," what letter does the Fiend state is missing?
2. What is the last thing Dmitri does in the story?
3. Why is Lena concerned about her husband's plans for Easter?
4. Which bird does the Russian naturalists state has disappeared?
5. Where does Lena Strudwarden wish to spend Easter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actually happened to Mrs. Umberleigh in "The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh"?
2. What is the irony regarding Dr. Stronetz's plan to save Dimitri's life? ("The Death Trap.")
3. What do some of the boys tell Lancelot Chetrof his punishment will be for missing football practice?
4. What does poultry farmer consider to be the one draw back of eggs?
5. What does the poultry farmer say that he has done to solve the round problem of eggs?
6. What news does James Cushat-Prinkly have for his family at the end of "Tea"?
7. What happened to the birds during the first year of the battle? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
8. What does Dimitri plan to do because of his illness? ("The Death Trap.")
9. Where does Jane lose her niece Louise?
10. What happens when Bidderdale arrives in Hell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of Saki's texts seem to have an unbelievable or an outrageous meaning. Which of the stories did you find the most unbelievable or outrageous? Why? What, specifically, gave the story its outrageous storyline?
Essay Topic 2
Write a full analysis on one of the texts. Imagine that you are writing the analysis for a newspaper or magazine article. Focus analysis on character, theme, literary devices, hidden meaning, etc.
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe was the purpose of presenting Saki's works as a collection? Did the stories work off of each other? Did the collection allow you to understand the texts better? In what ways do you believe messages were lost given the collection is presented as a whole?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)