|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who warns Dimitri that he must leave the castle or be killed?
2. How old is Dimitri during the action of the play?
3. What has disappeared from the Louvre?
4. What kind of bird has the narrator seen sleeping in an English meadow?
5. According to another myth, as told by Amalie, who must die for the legend to come true?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Francesca's most prized possession?
2. What was to happen on the day that Mrs. Umberleigh disappeared?
3. What does Saki say he will do about giving the poultry farmer a loan to get back his hens?
4. Why were the magpies restricted to where they could build their nests? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
5. Why does Youghal state that he is not fond of Jews?
6. What is the legend surrounding the castle in "The Wolves of Cernogratz"?
7. What news does James Cushat-Prinkly have for his family at the end of "Tea"?
8. What does the National Peace Council say were inappropriate toys?
9. What is the irony regarding Dr. Stronetz's plan to save Dimitri's life? ("The Death Trap.")
10. What happens when Bidderdale arrives in Hell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe was the purpose of presenting Saki's works as a collection? Did the stories work off of each other? Did the collection allow you to understand the texts better? In what ways do you believe messages were lost given the collection is presented as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
How did Saki's life translate into his writings? What personal attributes did he use to create his characters? Name and define at least three personal attributes and the parallel to the character.
Essay Topic 3
Irony in most of the texts is very prevalent. Detail and describe at least three different ironic elements of the text. What happened? Why was it ironic? Why did irony serve important in the text?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)