|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gallery shows Mervyn Quentock's collection of Society portraits?
2. What bird, according to "Birds on the Western Front," is attracted to the rats and mice?
3. How much money does the egg-seller need?
4. Why is Lena concerned about her husband's plans for Easter?
5. What is the last thing Dmitri does in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Saki seemed to disregard children. In many of the stories, Saki's attitude toward children seemed to one of disregard. Do you agree? Why? Do you disagree? Why? Be sure to include textual evidence to support your stand.
Essay Topic 2
Loss was a major theme in many of the texts. But, for Saki as the author, the feeling of loss did not seem to affect him (or his characters). Describe at least three texts that illustrate loss, the character's reaction to the loss, and how you believe Saki felt about loss.
Essay Topic 3
Based upon the texts, how do you think Saki felt about women? Do you think that he held very specific stereotypes regarding women? Do you think that he created female characters that were different from women in society during his time? What attributes did Saki give his female characters? Are these characteristics that are normally assigned to women?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)