|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Francesca run into at a shop entrance near Piccadilly and Bond?
2. According to the Baroness Gruebel , what will happen if someone is to die in the castle?
3. Whom had the best intentions for Francesca, but never would "carry them into practice"?
4. What does the London paper state boys should not be given as toys?
5. What is Girnitz's favorite weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the National Peace Council say were inappropriate toys?
2. What were the demands of Mrs. Umberleigh's "captives" regarding her ransom? ("The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh.")
3. Why were the magpies restricted to where they could build their nests? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
4. What actually happened to Mrs. Umberleigh in "The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh"?
5. Why is Dr. Stronetz worried about Dimitir staying in the castle? ("The Death Trap.")
6. What was to happen on the day that Mrs. Umberleigh disappeared?
7. What is Francesca's most prized possession?
8. What do some of the boys tell Lancelot Chetrof his punishment will be for missing football practice?
9. Where does Jane lose her niece Louise?
10. Why were there so many barn owls on the fighting line? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given that Saki is male, and many of his main characters are male, what do you think Saki prided men upon? Do you think that he held a patriarchal idea in regard to society? Why/Why not? Support your answer using a combination of hypothetical and textual reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Saki seemed to disregard children. In many of the stories, Saki's attitude toward children seemed to one of disregard. Do you agree? Why? Do you disagree? Why? Be sure to include textual evidence to support your stand.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Reginald and Clovis. Are these the same character, just given different names? How are the characters similar? How are they different? How could they be seen as mirror-images or foils?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)