|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Stronetz offer to Dimitri to speed his inevitable death?
2. How old was Dimitri when he came to the throne?
3. How old is Dimitri during the action of the play?
4. Where is the train heading in "The Disappearance of Crispina Umbreleigh"?
5. Where had Dimitri been only once (he thought the city seemed magical)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the National Peace Council say were inappropriate toys?
2. What does Francesca pride herself on?
3. What does Dimitri plan to do because of his illness? ("The Death Trap.")
4. What gifts does Harvey give to his nephews?
5. Why were the magpies restricted to where they could build their nests? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
6. Why is there no system of reward in Hell?
7. What were the demands of Mrs. Umberleigh's "captives" regarding her ransom? ("The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh.")
8. What does the poultry farmer say that he has done to solve the round problem of eggs?
9. What does Dr. Stronetz do that spares Dimitri from being murdered? ("The Death Trap.")
10. What happened to the birds during the first year of the battle? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given that Saki is male, and many of his main characters are male, what do you think Saki prided men upon? Do you think that he held a patriarchal idea in regard to society? Why/Why not? Support your answer using a combination of hypothetical and textual reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Write a full analysis on one of the texts. Imagine that you are writing the analysis for a newspaper or magazine article. Focus analysis on character, theme, literary devices, hidden meaning, etc.
Essay Topic 3
None of the characters in the text were described in detail. Pieces of each character were given sporadically in a collaboration of different texts. Why do you think that Saki used this technique to create his characters? Support your hypothesis with at least three well-developed supporting statements
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)