|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the opening in "The Death Trap" take place?
2. At the end of "The Square Egg," what did the narrator state he is going to do?
3. Where does Strudwarden want to spend Easter?
4. What does the London paper state boys should not be given as toys?
5. At what time, in Amalie's tale, would wolves begin to howl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Stronetz worried about Dimitir staying in the castle? ("The Death Trap.")
2. What does the National Peace Council say were inappropriate toys?
3. What is the irony regarding Dr. Stronetz's plan to save Dimitri's life? ("The Death Trap.")
4. What happens when Bidderdale arrives in Hell?
5. Why does Merla Blathington love Bond Street?
6. What does Dr. Stronetz do that spares Dimitri from being murdered? ("The Death Trap.")
7. Why is Francesca considered "one of those women" that Fate had the best intentions for?
8. What does Dimitri plan to do because of his illness? ("The Death Trap.")
9. What is Francesca's most prized possession?
10. What is the legend surrounding the castle in "The Wolves of Cernogratz"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Saki seemed to disregard children. In many of the stories, Saki's attitude toward children seemed to one of disregard. Do you agree? Why? Do you disagree? Why? Be sure to include textual evidence to support your stand.
Essay Topic 2
The section titled "The Square Egg" showed a very different side of Saki. Why do you think that the writings from this section were so different from the other sections? How did the happenings in Saki's life at this point change his writing? What seemed to be his focus?
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe was the purpose of presenting Saki's works as a collection? Did the stories work off of each other? Did the collection allow you to understand the texts better? In what ways do you believe messages were lost given the collection is presented as a whole?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)