|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dimitri believe his blood will cause a stain?
2. Who does Francesca run into at a shop entrance near Piccadilly and Bond?
3. Who is to succeed to Dimitri's throne?
4. To whom does James Cushat-Prinkley plan on proposing to?
5. According to "The Square Egg," what animal resembles the "drab-coated creature of the twilight"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the legend surrounding the castle in "The Wolves of Cernogratz"?
2. Why were there so many barn owls on the fighting line? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
3. What happened to the birds during the first year of the battle? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
4. What news does James Cushat-Prinkly have for his family at the end of "Tea"?
5. What were the demands of Mrs. Umberleigh's "captives" regarding her ransom? ("The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh.")
6. What gifts does Harvey give to his nephews?
7. Why is Francesca considered "one of those women" that Fate had the best intentions for?
8. Where does Jane lose her niece Louise?
9. What does Francesca pride herself on?
10. What is the irony regarding Dr. Stronetz's plan to save Dimitri's life? ("The Death Trap.")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss was a major theme in many of the texts. But, for Saki as the author, the feeling of loss did not seem to affect him (or his characters). Describe at least three texts that illustrate loss, the character's reaction to the loss, and how you believe Saki felt about loss.
Essay Topic 2
Many people have believed that Saki placed himself in all, or many, of his texts as a main character. Create a hypothesis stating whether or not you believe Saki injected himself in his texts and what the purpose served for Saki. (Do you think that he was creating himself as the person he wished to be, the person he was, or as a mask?) Support your answer completely.
Essay Topic 3
Write a full analysis on one of the texts. Imagine that you are writing the analysis for a newspaper or magazine article. Focus analysis on character, theme, literary devices, hidden meaning, etc.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)