|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What suggested Dimitri's "death" for Dr. Stronetz?
2. How old is James Cushat-Prinkley in "Tea"?
3. Who does Dimitri claim to be the "heart and soul for Prince Karl'?
4. According to another myth, as told by Amalie, who must die for the legend to come true?
5. What gallery shows Mervyn Quentock's collection of Society portraits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony regarding Dr. Stronetz's plan to save Dimitri's life? ("The Death Trap.")
2. Why is Dr. Stronetz worried about Dimitir staying in the castle? ("The Death Trap.")
3. What does Dimitri plan to do because of his illness? ("The Death Trap.")
4. Why does Merla Blathington love Bond Street?
5. What does Francesca pride herself on?
6. What happens when Bidderdale arrives in Hell?
7. Why does Youghal state that he is not fond of Jews?
8. Why is there no system of reward in Hell?
9. What does the National Peace Council say were inappropriate toys?
10. What is the last action in "The Death Trap"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon the texts, how do you think Saki felt about women? Do you think that he held very specific stereotypes regarding women? Do you think that he created female characters that were different from women in society during his time? What attributes did Saki give his female characters? Are these characteristics that are normally assigned to women?
Essay Topic 2
Loss was a major theme in many of the texts. But, for Saki as the author, the feeling of loss did not seem to affect him (or his characters). Describe at least three texts that illustrate loss, the character's reaction to the loss, and how you believe Saki felt about loss.
Essay Topic 3
Saki used many literary techniques in his writing. Chose a literary technique that you believe was prevalent in many of the texts. Describe Saki's use of the technique in at least three of his stories. What is the technique? What was the story? How was it used?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)