|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Francesca's enemies know of her to lack?
2. What kind of chickens does Merla Blathington's sister hatch?
3. What is happening as the curtain rises in "The Death Trap"?
4. What is the name of the hotel, where Elaine Youghal eats lunch, that is one of Vienna's most expensive hotels?
5. At the end of "The Infernal Parliament," what letter does the Fiend state is missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Merla Blathington love Bond Street?
2. What is Francesca's most prized possession?
3. What is the last action in "The Death Trap"?
4. Why were there so many barn owls on the fighting line? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
5. Why is Francesca considered "one of those women" that Fate had the best intentions for?
6. What does Dimitri plan to do because of his illness? ("The Death Trap.")
7. What does the poultry farmer say that he has done to solve the round problem of eggs?
8. Why is there no system of reward in Hell?
9. What do some of the boys tell Lancelot Chetrof his punishment will be for missing football practice?
10. Why is Dr. Stronetz worried about Dimitir staying in the castle? ("The Death Trap.")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given that Saki is male, and many of his main characters are male, what do you think Saki prided men upon? Do you think that he held a patriarchal idea in regard to society? Why/Why not? Support your answer using a combination of hypothetical and textual reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
None of the characters in the text were described in detail. Pieces of each character were given sporadically in a collaboration of different texts. Why do you think that Saki used this technique to create his characters? Support your hypothesis with at least three well-developed supporting statements
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe was the purpose of presenting Saki's works as a collection? Did the stories work off of each other? Did the collection allow you to understand the texts better? In what ways do you believe messages were lost given the collection is presented as a whole?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)