|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Francesca's enemies know of her to lack?
2. At the opening of "The Hedgehog," what is being played by mixed doubles?
3. What gallery shows Mervyn Quentock's collection of Society portraits?
4. What bird has the narrator never seen in the war-lands?
5. What kind of dog does the English gamekeeper believe can drive birds from their nests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Bidderdale arrives in Hell?
2. What news does James Cushat-Prinkly have for his family at the end of "Tea"?
3. What does the National Peace Council say were inappropriate toys?
4. What is the last action in "The Death Trap"?
5. Why is there no system of reward in Hell?
6. Where does Jane lose her niece Louise?
7. What does Francesca pride herself on?
8. What does the poultry farmer say that he has done to solve the round problem of eggs?
9. What is Francesca's most prized possession?
10. Why were the magpies restricted to where they could build their nests? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters Reginald and Clovis. Are these the same character, just given different names? How are the characters similar? How are they different? How could they be seen as mirror-images or foils?
Essay Topic 2
Many of Saki's texts seem to have an unbelievable or an outrageous meaning. Which of the stories did you find the most unbelievable or outrageous? Why? What, specifically, gave the story its outrageous storyline?
Essay Topic 3
Saki seemed to disregard children. In many of the stories, Saki's attitude toward children seemed to one of disregard. Do you agree? Why? Do you disagree? Why? Be sure to include textual evidence to support your stand.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)