|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of bird has the narrator seen sleeping in an English meadow?
2. From what coronation does Clovis believe that Lady Beanford has caught a chill?
3. What kind of dog does the English gamekeeper believe can drive birds from their nests?
4. What bird do the explosives cause to flee?
5. How old is Dimitri during the action of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony regarding Dr. Stronetz's plan to save Dimitri's life? ("The Death Trap.")
2. Why were the magpies restricted to where they could build their nests? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
3. What gifts does Harvey give to his nephews?
4. What is the legend surrounding the castle in "The Wolves of Cernogratz"?
5. What does the poultry farmer say that he has done to solve the round problem of eggs?
6. What happens when Bidderdale arrives in Hell?
7. Why is Dr. Stronetz worried about Dimitir staying in the castle? ("The Death Trap.")
8. Where does Jane lose her niece Louise?
9. Why does Merla Blathington love Bond Street?
10. What is the last action in "The Death Trap"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Saki's life translate into his writings? What personal attributes did he use to create his characters? Name and define at least three personal attributes and the parallel to the character.
Essay Topic 2
Saki seemed to disregard children. In many of the stories, Saki's attitude toward children seemed to one of disregard. Do you agree? Why? Do you disagree? Why? Be sure to include textual evidence to support your stand.
Essay Topic 3
Saki used many literary techniques in his writing. Chose a literary technique that you believe was prevalent in many of the texts. Describe Saki's use of the technique in at least three of his stories. What is the technique? What was the story? How was it used?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)