|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been made Governor of a West Indian dependency?
2. What is the last thing Dmitri does in the story?
3. Where does the opening in "The Death Trap" take place?
4. What is the highest mark of appreciation in Pandemonium?
5. What bird builds their nests in the "battered remnants" of a poplar tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the birds during the first year of the battle? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
2. Why is Francesca considered "one of those women" that Fate had the best intentions for?
3. What were the demands of Mrs. Umberleigh's "captives" regarding her ransom? ("The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh.")
4. What does Dr. Stronetz do that spares Dimitri from being murdered? ("The Death Trap.")
5. What does Dimitri plan to do because of his illness? ("The Death Trap.")
6. What is the legend surrounding the castle in "The Wolves of Cernogratz"?
7. What does Francesca pride herself on?
8. Why does Youghal state that he is not fond of Jews?
9. What is the last action in "The Death Trap"?
10. What news does James Cushat-Prinkly have for his family at the end of "Tea"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of Saki's writings included some type of humor. Humor seemed to be a way for Saki to engage the reader in an otherwise mundane storyline. Find three examples of humor in a text that depended upon humor. Explain why the humor was necessary, what type of humor was used and what the result of the humor had on the text itself.
Essay Topic 2
Given that Saki is male, and many of his main characters are male, what do you think Saki prided men upon? Do you think that he held a patriarchal idea in regard to society? Why/Why not? Support your answer using a combination of hypothetical and textual reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Saki seemed to disregard children. In many of the stories, Saki's attitude toward children seemed to one of disregard. Do you agree? Why? Do you disagree? Why? Be sure to include textual evidence to support your stand.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)