|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Duchess preparing notes on to speak about at the Club?
2. According to Reginald, who is never taught at a young enough age, about quality Christmas presents?
3. In England, what kind of dog does Olga believe to be "chic"?
4. What vessel is found during the search for sunken treasure?
5. What does "the female relative in the country" believe is the best Christmas present?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to cause a rift between Dora and Jane?
2. Why does Reginald want to write a poem on peace?
3. According to the Duchess in "Reginald at the Theater," what are the things "you can't get away from"?
4. Why does Clovis state that Hugo Peterby is at Mrs. Olston's home?
5. Why is Mrs. Mullet unhappy that Mr Penricarde had purchased the Brogue?
6. Why does Mrs. Packletide believe that she needs to kill a tiger in India?
7. While looking for buried treasure, what does Vasco find?
8. What is Clovis' idea for getting out of the sale of the Brogue?
9. What does Esme do to the gypsy child?
10. What happens when Mrs. Packletide shot at the tiger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss was a major theme in many of the texts. But, for Saki as the author, the feeling of loss did not seem to affect him (or his characters). Describe at least three texts that illustrate loss, the character's reaction to the loss, and how you believe Saki felt about loss.
Essay Topic 2
Given that Saki is male, and many of his main characters are male, what do you think Saki prided men upon? Do you think that he held a patriarchal idea in regard to society? Why/Why not? Support your answer using a combination of hypothetical and textual reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Saki used many literary techniques in his writing. Chose a literary technique that you believe was prevalent in many of the texts. Describe Saki's use of the technique in at least three of his stories. What is the technique? What was the story? How was it used?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)