Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Reginald regard with distrust in "Reginald at the Theater"?
2. What poetic device does Reginald use in the first line of his poem on peace?
3. What vessel is found during the search for sunken treasure?
4. Who does Emily bribe in order to get her deckchair next to the Major?
5. What kind of flower does Reginald place in the button-hole of his lounge coat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "only consolation" that the condemned man asks for?
2. What is Francesca's most prized possession?
3. How is the Brogue listed in sale catalogs?
4. According to the Baroness, in "Esme," what does poverty do?
5. What does the National Peace Council say were inappropriate toys?
6. Why were there so many barn owls on the fighting line? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
7. What is the legend surrounding the castle in "The Wolves of Cernogratz"?
8. Why does Clovis believe that oysters are "more beautiful than any religion"?
9. Name at least two things that the narrator finds offensive that Reginald does at the McKillops' garden party.
10. What were the demands of Mrs. Umberleigh's "captives" regarding her ransom? ("The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh.")
Given that Saki is male, and many of his main characters are male, what do you think Saki prided men upon? Do you think that he held a patriarchal idea in regard to society? Why/Why not? Support your answer using a combination of hypothetical and textual reasoning.
Irony in most of the texts is very prevalent. Detail and describe at least three different ironic elements of the text. What happened? Why was it ironic? Why did irony serve important in the text?
Many people have believed that Saki placed himself in all, or many, of his texts as a main character. Create a hypothesis stating whether or not you believe Saki injected himself in his texts and what the purpose served for Saki. (Do you think that he was creating himself as the person he wished to be, the person he was, or as a mask?) Support your answer completely.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)