|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of hen has come between Jane and Dora?
2. What is wrong with Vanessa Pennington's husband?
3. What vessel is found during the search for sunken treasure?
4. What does Reginald claim that ducks did not have?
5. What kind of mines does Mr. Penricarde own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Reginald refuse to learn Russian geography at school?
2. What does the condemned man state is the reality of his punishment?
3. What problem does Vanessa Pennington have in "Cross Currents"?
4. Why does Mrs. Packletide believe that she needs to kill a tiger in India?
5. According to "Reginald on Christmas Presents," why are aunts a "difficult class to deal with"?
6. In "The Innocence of Reginald," what two things does Reginald believe fail to go together?
7. What is the "only consolation" that the condemned man asks for?
8. What, according to Clovis, is different about his mother getting married "this time"?
9. What happens as a result of the feud in Toad-Water?
10. Why does Clovis believe that oysters are "more beautiful than any religion"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon the texts, how do you think Saki felt about women? Do you think that he held very specific stereotypes regarding women? Do you think that he created female characters that were different from women in society during his time? What attributes did Saki give his female characters? Are these characteristics that are normally assigned to women?
Essay Topic 2
Many people have believed that Saki placed himself in all, or many, of his texts as a main character. Create a hypothesis stating whether or not you believe Saki injected himself in his texts and what the purpose served for Saki. (Do you think that he was creating himself as the person he wished to be, the person he was, or as a mask?) Support your answer completely.
Essay Topic 3
Saki used a lot of animals in his texts. Why do you believe Saki used so many animals? How do you believe he felt about them? What could the animals represent for Saki? Does Saki give a favorable impression of animals or not? Why? Support your thoughts.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)