Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Reginald regard with distrust in "Reginald at the Theater"?
2. What poetic device does Reginald use in the first line of his poem on peace?
3. What vessel is found during the search for sunken treasure?
4. Who does Emily bribe in order to get her deckchair next to the Major?
5. What kind of flower does Reginald place in the button-hole of his lounge coat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "only consolation" that the condemned man asks for?
2. What is Francesca's most prized possession?
3. How is the Brogue listed in sale catalogs?
4. According to the Baroness, in "Esme," what does poverty do?
5. What does the National Peace Council say were inappropriate toys?
6. Why were there so many barn owls on the fighting line? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
7. What is the legend surrounding the castle in "The Wolves of Cernogratz"?
8. Why does Clovis believe that oysters are "more beautiful than any religion"?
9. Name at least two things that the narrator finds offensive that Reginald does at the McKillops' garden party.
10. What were the demands of Mrs. Umberleigh's "captives" regarding her ransom? ("The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh.")
Essay Topic 1
Saki used many literary techniques in his writing. Chose a literary technique that you believe was prevalent in many of the texts. Describe Saki's use of the technique in at least three of his stories. What is the technique? What was the story? How was it used?
Essay Topic 2
Write a new introduction to the collection. Reread the Introduction (written in 1967) and create a new introduction. Follow the main ideas that the introduction writer used. This essay should encompass short, focused thoughts on each of the texts in the collection - much like the current introduction. This essay is meant to focus on the problems, concerns and highlights of the text for you as the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Negligence was a theme that seemed to run rampant throughout the texts. Detail and describe three different instances where a character was negligent to react given the surroundings.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)