Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Reginald regard with distrust in "Reginald at the Theater"?
2. What poetic device does Reginald use in the first line of his poem on peace?
3. What vessel is found during the search for sunken treasure?
4. Who does Emily bribe in order to get her deckchair next to the Major?
5. What kind of flower does Reginald place in the button-hole of his lounge coat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "only consolation" that the condemned man asks for?
2. What is Francesca's most prized possession?
3. How is the Brogue listed in sale catalogs?
4. According to the Baroness, in "Esme," what does poverty do?
5. What does the National Peace Council say were inappropriate toys?
6. Why were there so many barn owls on the fighting line? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
7. What is the legend surrounding the castle in "The Wolves of Cernogratz"?
8. Why does Clovis believe that oysters are "more beautiful than any religion"?
9. Name at least two things that the narrator finds offensive that Reginald does at the McKillops' garden party.
10. What were the demands of Mrs. Umberleigh's "captives" regarding her ransom? ("The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh.")
Essay Topic 1
Saki used a lot of animals in his texts. Why do you believe Saki used so many animals? How do you believe he felt about them? What could the animals represent for Saki? Does Saki give a favorable impression of animals or not? Why? Support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Negligence was a theme that seemed to run rampant throughout the texts. Detail and describe three different instances where a character was negligent to react given the surroundings.
Essay Topic 3
Based upon the texts, how do you think Saki felt about women? Do you think that he held very specific stereotypes regarding women? Do you think that he created female characters that were different from women in society during his time? What attributes did Saki give his female characters? Are these characteristics that are normally assigned to women?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)