|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reginald claim that ducks did not have?
2. Where does Adela Pingsford say the ox is?
3. What kind of dog does Olga keep?
4. How much does Mrs. Packletide offer to a village to have the opportunity to shoot a tiger?
5. How many times does the orchestra play "The Chaplet"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Clovis, is different about his mother getting married "this time"?
2. What does Esme do to the gypsy child?
3. Name at least two things that the narrator finds offensive that Reginald does at the McKillops' garden party.
4. Why does the Major, in "The Baker's Dozen," believe that if he and Mrs. Carewe would marry it would be unlucky?
5. What happens when Mrs. Packletide shot at the tiger?
6. What happens to cause a rift between Dora and Jane?
7. What does Reginald state as the estimable qualities of Jews?
8. According to "Reginald on Christmas Presents," why are aunts a "difficult class to deal with"?
9. What does Clovis do to insure that Jane has left before Dora shows up at his home?
10. What does Reinald say one comes to know at a host's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a new introduction to the collection. Reread the Introduction (written in 1967) and create a new introduction. Follow the main ideas that the introduction writer used. This essay should encompass short, focused thoughts on each of the texts in the collection - much like the current introduction. This essay is meant to focus on the problems, concerns and highlights of the text for you as the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Many of Saki's characters are not fully developed characters. They are actually both flat and static characters. Discuss why you believe Saki used flat and static characters in his texts. Create a hypothesis, at least three supporting ideas, and fully develop your argument in favor of your hypothesis.
Essay Topic 3
Saki seemed to disregard children. In many of the stories, Saki's attitude toward children seemed to one of disregard. Do you agree? Why? Do you disagree? Why? Be sure to include textual evidence to support your stand.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)