|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What responsibility do the Saunderses have based upon "Fate"?
2. Why is Reginald writing a poem on peace?
3. What kind of buzzards does Mrs. Olsten say are nesting in her woods?
4. Which empire, according to Reginald, has problems with limits existing in the same place?
5. According to "The Blood-Feud of Toad-Water," what attribute do both hen-folk and women-kind both fail possess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Reginald want to write a poem on peace?
2. Why does the Major, in "The Baker's Dozen," believe that if he and Mrs. Carewe would marry it would be unlucky?
3. While looking for buried treasure, what does Vasco find?
4. Why did Reginald refuse to learn Russian geography at school?
5. What happens when Mrs. Packletide shot at the tiger?
6. What is Clovis' idea for getting out of the sale of the Brogue?
7. Why is Mrs. Mullet unhappy that Mr Penricarde had purchased the Brogue?
8. Why does Clovis state that Hugo Peterby is at Mrs. Olston's home?
9. According to the Baroness, in "Esme," what does poverty do?
10. According to "Reginald on Christmas Presents," why are aunts a "difficult class to deal with"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Saki used a lot of animals in his texts. Why do you believe Saki used so many animals? How do you believe he felt about them? What could the animals represent for Saki? Does Saki give a favorable impression of animals or not? Why? Support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Loss was a major theme in many of the texts. But, for Saki as the author, the feeling of loss did not seem to affect him (or his characters). Describe at least three texts that illustrate loss, the character's reaction to the loss, and how you believe Saki felt about loss.
Essay Topic 3
Given that Saki is male, and many of his main characters are male, what do you think Saki prided men upon? Do you think that he held a patriarchal idea in regard to society? Why/Why not? Support your answer using a combination of hypothetical and textual reasoning.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)