|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What present does Reginald not want at all for Christmas?
2. According to Reginald, who is never taught at a young enough age, about quality Christmas presents?
3. How many times does the orchestra play "The Chaplet"?
4. What kind of dog does Olga keep?
5. What kind of buzzards does Mrs. Olsten say are nesting in her woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem does Vanessa Pennington have in "Cross Currents"?
2. What does the outing to kill a tiger actually cost Mrs. Packletide?
3. According to the Baroness, in "Esme," what does poverty do?
4. What does Reginald state as the estimable qualities of Jews?
5. Why is Reginald trying to "forgive the furniture"?
6. What happens when Mrs. Packletide shot at the tiger?
7. Why is Mrs. Olston so protective of the buzzards and their eggs?
8. While looking for buried treasure, what does Vasco find?
9. In "The Innocence of Reginald," what two things does Reginald believe fail to go together?
10. Why does Clovis state that Hugo Peterby is at Mrs. Olston's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of Saki's writings included some type of humor. Humor seemed to be a way for Saki to engage the reader in an otherwise mundane storyline. Find three examples of humor in a text that depended upon humor. Explain why the humor was necessary, what type of humor was used and what the result of the humor had on the text itself.
Essay Topic 2
Saki used many literary techniques in his writing. Chose a literary technique that you believe was prevalent in many of the texts. Describe Saki's use of the technique in at least three of his stories. What is the technique? What was the story? How was it used?
Essay Topic 3
None of the characters in the text were described in detail. Pieces of each character were given sporadically in a collaboration of different texts. Why do you think that Saki used this technique to create his characters? Support your hypothesis with at least three well-developed supporting statements
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)