|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Reginald, who is never taught at a young enough age, about quality Christmas presents?
2. Which empire, according to Reginald, has problems with limits existing in the same place?
3. What book, mentioned in "The Jesting of Arlington Stringham," is to have been denied being read by everyone?
4. What kind of animal does the Baroness come across while on horseback?
5. Where does Arlington Stringham tell his joke?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Major, in "The Baker's Dozen," believe that if he and Mrs. Carewe would marry it would be unlucky?
2. How is the Brogue listed in sale catalogs?
3. What happens to cause a rift between Dora and Jane?
4. What does Reinald say one comes to know at a host's home?
5. What does Clovis do to insure that Jane has left before Dora shows up at his home?
6. What does the condemned man state is the reality of his punishment?
7. What problem does Vanessa Pennington have in "Cross Currents"?
8. What does Esme do to the gypsy child?
9. What is Clovis' idea for getting out of the sale of the Brogue?
10. What happens as a result of the feud in Toad-Water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon the research and study of Saki and his works, what did you learn about Saki as a person? What did his writing allow you to divulge about him? What kind of person do you see him to be? What are his characteristics? What do you believe were his strengths? His weaknesses? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Given that Saki is male, and many of his main characters are male, what do you think Saki prided men upon? Do you think that he held a patriarchal idea in regard to society? Why/Why not? Support your answer using a combination of hypothetical and textual reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Many people have believed that Saki placed himself in all, or many, of his texts as a main character. Create a hypothesis stating whether or not you believe Saki injected himself in his texts and what the purpose served for Saki. (Do you think that he was creating himself as the person he wished to be, the person he was, or as a mask?) Support your answer completely.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)