|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does the orchestra play "The Chaplet"?
2. What does Clovis believe to be "more beautiful than any religion"?
3. What color does the Queen of Spain detest?
4. What, according to Clovis' host, is "becoming a habit" with Clovis?
5. What does "the female relative in the country" believe is the best Christmas present?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins the feud in "The Blood-Feud of Toad-Water"?
2. What does Clovis do to insure that Jane has left before Dora shows up at his home?
3. What does the condemned man state is the reality of his punishment?
4. What does Reinald say one comes to know at a host's home?
5. What is Clovis' idea for getting out of the sale of the Brogue?
6. Why does the Major, in "The Baker's Dozen," believe that if he and Mrs. Carewe would marry it would be unlucky?
7. Why is Mrs. Mullet unhappy that Mr Penricarde had purchased the Brogue?
8. Why does Clovis state that Hugo Peterby is at Mrs. Olston's home?
9. While looking for buried treasure, what does Vasco find?
10. What does Reginald state as the estimable qualities of Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Saki used many literary techniques in his writing. Chose a literary technique that you believe was prevalent in many of the texts. Describe Saki's use of the technique in at least three of his stories. What is the technique? What was the story? How was it used?
Essay Topic 2
The section titled "The Square Egg" showed a very different side of Saki. Why do you think that the writings from this section were so different from the other sections? How did the happenings in Saki's life at this point change his writing? What seemed to be his focus?
Essay Topic 3
Negligence was a theme that seemed to run rampant throughout the texts. Detail and describe three different instances where a character was negligent to react given the surroundings.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)