|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Governess before she could enact her wishes upon Amalie? ("The Wolves of Cernogratz")
(a) She left the castle.
(b) She died.
(c) She fell ill.
(d) She was dragged off by wolves.
2. According to the wine merchant, what is the "feminine craze" at the time of his aunt's disappearance?
(b) Fox hunting.
(c) Skeet shooting.
3. Which bird is seen "in the chill, misty hour of gloom"?
(a) The musician wren.
(b) The vulture.
(c) The lark.
(d) The grey kingbird.
4. What does Dimitri tell Stronetz to look out the window at?
(a) The fairyland of mountains.
(b) The clear and majestic river.
(c) The eagles soaring over the trees.
(d) The plains covered with ferns.
5. What kind of caravan does Elaine pass as she is out riding her horse?
(a) A gypsy caravan.
(b) A military caravan.
(c) A travelling wild-beast show.
(d) A show-car caravan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Baroness say that she is going to do to Amalie after the new year festivities have ended?
2. What does Dimitri ask for from Dr. Stronetz. after finding out that he is to die?
3. Where had Dimitri been only once (he thought the city seemed magical)?
4. What suggested Dimitri's "death" for Dr. Stronetz?
5. Where does Strudwarden want to spend Easter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the magpies restricted to where they could build their nests? ("Birds on the Western Front.")
2. What do some of the boys tell Lancelot Chetrof his punishment will be for missing football practice?
3. What is the irony regarding Dr. Stronetz's plan to save Dimitri's life? ("The Death Trap.")
4. What does the poultry farmer say that he has done to solve the round problem of eggs?
5. What is Francesca's most prized possession?
6. What were the demands of Mrs. Umberleigh's "captives" regarding her ransom? ("The Disappearance of Crispina Umberleigh.")
7. Why does Youghal state that he is not fond of Jews?
8. What does Dr. Stronetz do that spares Dimitri from being murdered? ("The Death Trap.")
9. What gifts does Harvey give to his nephews?
10. Why is there no system of reward in Hell?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)