|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "The victim of war," what kind of hen produces a square egg?
(a) A Sussex.
(b) A Houdan.
(c) A Golden Comet.
(d) A Rhode Island Red
2. What is happening as the curtain rises in "The Death Trap"?
(a) Girntiza, Vontieff, and Shultz are talking.
(b) Dimitir and Shultz are talking.
(c) Dimitir is sleeping.
(d) Girnitz is arresting an offender.
3. Who has been made Governor of a West Indian dependency?
(a) Sir Charles Stockton.
(b) Sir Thomas Gunners.
(c) Sir Frank Fill.
(d) Sir Julian Jull.
4. What does Jane ask Louise to read to Emma?
(a) "The Wife of Bath."
(b) "Faerie Queen."
(d) "Sins and Sinners."
5. At what time, in Amalie's tale, would wolves begin to howl?
(a) After the deceased was buried.
(b) As the dying took their final breath.
(c) Just before the hour of death.
(d) As the deceased was pronounced dead.
6. What kind of chickens does Merla Blathington's sister hatch?
(a) Campine chickens.
(b) Sicilian Buttercup chickens.
(c) Bresse chickens.
(d) White Orpington chickens.
7. In whose honor does Francesca throw a farewell dinner?
(b) Lady Veula's.
(c) The Duke's.
(d) Her son's.
8. What happens to the Governess before she could enact her wishes upon Amalie? ("The Wolves of Cernogratz")
(a) She was dragged off by wolves.
(b) She fell ill.
(c) She died.
(d) She left the castle.
9. What kind of dog does the English gamekeeper believe can drive birds from their nests?
(a) A terrier.
(b) A spaniel.
(c) A setter.
(d) A wolfhound.
10. How much is the yearly ransom that is to be paid for the return of Crispina Umbreleigh?
(a) 1,000 rupees.
(b) 2,000 pounds.
(c) 2,000 rupees.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
11. What "system" does Hell lack?
(a) A system of conscience.
(b) A system of rewards.
(c) A system of power.
(d) A system of balance.
12. What does Dr. Stronetz offer to Dimitri to speed his inevitable death?
(b) A rope.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A dagger.
13. At the end of "The Square Egg," what did the narrator state he is going to do?
(a) Start a square-egg hen hatchery.
(b) Finance the man's business.
(c) Kill all of the hens.
(d) Marry the aunt.
14. According to the Baroness Gruebel , what will happen if someone is to die in the castle?
(a) The animals of the lands would circle the village.
(b) The wolves would all go to the river to bathe.
(c) The dogs of the village would attack their owners.
(d) The dogs and beasts of the forest would howl all night.
15. What does Dimitri tell Stronetz to look out the window at?
(a) The eagles soaring over the trees.
(b) The clear and majestic river.
(c) The plains covered with ferns.
(d) The fairyland of mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lena concerned about her husband's plans for Easter?
2. Where does Lena Strudwarden wish to spend Easter?
3. What bird, according to "Birds on the Western Front," is attracted to the rats and mice?
4. What bird do the explosives cause to flee?
5. What kind of bird has the narrator seen sleeping in an English meadow?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)