|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the opening of "The Hedgehog," what is being played by mixed doubles?
(d) Lawn tennis.
2. Which bird is associated with sorrow?
(a) The heron.
(b) The dove.
(c) The magpie.
(d) The finch.
3. Where had Dimitri been only once (he thought the city seemed magical)?
4. What kind of sandwiches are Francesca and her brother eating at the opening of "The Unbearable Bassington"?
5. What is the most highly valued privilege of the Parliament members in Hell?
6. According to the wine merchant, what is the "feminine craze" at the time of his aunt's disappearance?
(a) Skeet shooting.
(b) Fox hunting.
7. What gift does Harvey Bope give to his nephews on Easter?
(a) A collection of soldiers.
(b) A Somali camel-corps.
(c) A municipal dust-bin.
(d) A fort model.
8. What has disappeared from the Louvre?
(a) A crown.
(b) A jewel.
(c) A picture.
(d) A sculpture.
9. How old is Dimitri during the action of the play?
10. What is the last thing Dmitri does in the story?
(a) Tells Girntiza, Vontieff, and Shultz he knew of their plan, then drinks the wine.
(b) Goes mad and imprisons himself.
(c) Leaves with Girntiza, Vontieff, and Shultz.
(d) Leaves the country to die alone.
11. What bird does the narrator come across that "flitted wistfully to and fro"?
(a) A hen-chaffinch.
(b) A pearl kite.
(c) A purple martin.
(d) An osprey.
12. What bird has the narrator never seen in the war-lands?
(a) The pheasant.
(b) The wren.
(c) The eagle.
(d) The buzzard.
13. What happens to the Governess before she could enact her wishes upon Amalie? ("The Wolves of Cernogratz")
(a) She fell ill.
(b) She left the castle.
(c) She was dragged off by wolves.
(d) She died.
14. When Jane calls Lord Carrywood, what does he think she is offering?
(a) A bridge game.
(b) A lunchen.
(c) Opera seats.
(d) A wedding inviation.
15. What does Dr. Stronetz offer to Dimitri to speed his inevitable death?
(a) A rope.
(b) A pistol.
(d) A dagger.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Dimitri when he came to the throne?
2. What is Girnitz's favorite weapon?
3. Where, according to "The Square Egg," are the best eggs raised?
4. Where does Dimitri believe his blood will cause a stain?
5. What happened that stopped the egg-seller from being able to get rich off of square eggs?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)