|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Morgan call the offices of White and Blazevich?
2. What front-page story is run by the Times-Picayune that concerns the editors at the Post?
3. Why was Grantham racing down Rhode Island St. at fifty miles per hour?
4. Where does Grantham go to meet Shaw for the first time?
5. To whom does Coal show the pelican brief in Chapter 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does Grantham make after Shaw tells him about the pelican brief?
2. Who does Shaw see as she watches mourners arrive for Callahan's memorial service?
3. What bad news does Coal share with the President on Monday morning?
4. Why is the pelican brief a possible liability for the President?
5. Lewis wondered how Verheek could go down for a simple funeral and end up dead. Explain how that happened.
6. Describe Victor Mattiece and his eccentricities.
7. Describe Mattiece's plan to make money in Louisiana's oil fields and how this plan has been thwarted.
8. Describe what happens when Grantham follows a man he believes to be Garcia into the offices of Brim, Stearns, and Kidlow?
9. Why did Khamel agree once to kill Castro, but then did not go through with the job?
10. Why does Gminski tell the President that the author of the pelican brief should become a novelist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why, in Chapter 4, Coal describes the murders of Rosenberg and Jensen as the perfect crisis.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Barr goes to meet with Mattiece. Describe his mission and the results of his mission.
Essay Topic 3
A series of murders are attributed to Mattiece in the novel. Describe his role in the murders of Rosenberg and Jensen, Callahan, Garcia/Morgan, Barr, and Verheek.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)