|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Friere think the true goal of education is?
(a) To empower students.
(b) To give the school a good name.
(c) To enhance one's career choices.
(d) To make good grade statistics.
2. What, in the author’s estimation, is a critical consciousness?
(a) A form of mental illness.
(b) A very important individual.
(c) A mind that never questions anything.
(d) The ability to question everything rationally.
3. Who will become freed when the Oppressed rise up?
(a) Both Oppressed and the Oppressors.
(b) Only the very poorest.
(c) The Oppressed.
(d) The Oppressors.
4. According to Friere, what must the Oppressed first learn to do if they want to be free?
(a) To run away.
(b) To subvert the system.
(c) To question for themselves.
(d) To overthrow their masters.
5. When was this book written?
6. What is the purpose of critical pedagogy?
(a) To look out for failing students.
(b) To oppose oppression.
(c) To spread a religion.
(d) To inspect schools.
7. Who are the Oppressors?
(a) A music group.
(b) Those at the bottom of society.
(c) Those in charge of society.
(d) A type of soldier.
8. Who does Friere explain is dehumanized through the Oppression and Oppressed relationship?
(b) The Oppressors.
(c) The Oppressed.
(d) Both parties.
9. Why does Frier use the example of Mr. Giddy?
(a) As an example of critical thinking.
(b) As examples of Oppressive thinking.
(c) As an example of fully humanized thinking.
(d) As an example of one of the Oppressed.
10. Why is dialogue so important to break these oppressive pedagogies?
(a) Because dialogue allows you to plan how to fight back.
(b) Because dialogue lets them know what you feel about them.
(c) Because dialogue encourages critical thinking from one individual to another.
(d) Because dialogue allows you to shout louder than them.
11. Why, does Friere say, oppression is dehumanizing?
(a) Because oppression cannot manage many people at one time.
(b) Because it has to be.
(c) Because the oppressed are not treated as individuals any more.
(d) It doesn't mean to be.
12. Who was Eric Fromm?
(a) An artist.
(b) A sculptor.
(c) An actor.
(d) A social philosopher and social critic.
13. What does critical thinking help to analyzes, according to Friere?
(b) The Oppressed.
(c) The Oppressors.
(d) The material reality, living conditions, and 'real' situation around the oppressed' lives.
14. Who is the author of this book?
(a) Karl Marx.
(b) Paulo Friere.
(d) Erich Fromm.
15. Who was Mr. Giddy?
(a) A president of the Royal Society.
(b) A Marxist Revolutionary.
(c) A Brazilian Premier.
(d) An actor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do we need to become humanized, according to Friere?
2. What does Friere maintain in the Preface that his readers must be ready for?
3. What is an Authority figure?
4. What is Philosophy?
5. Who was Paulo Friere?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)