|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point of view is this book written from?
(a) Third person.
(b) First person.
(c) Second person.
(d) Fourth person.
2. Why do we need to become humanized, according to Friere?
(a) Because humanization will make us more friends.
(b) Because humanization is a symptom of healthy psychological development.
(c) Because humanization will make us richer.
(d) Because humanization will make us fitter.
3. What is Philosophy?
(a) The study of art.
(b) The study of knowledge.
(c) The study of music.
(d) The study of history.
4. What is a critical consciousness?
(a) A high achiever.
(b) A view that questions everything around itself.
(c) An overly suspicious mind.
(d) An overly argumentative person.
5. What does Friere think the true goal of education is?
(a) To make good grade statistics.
(b) To give the school a good name.
(c) To enhance one's career choices.
(d) To empower students.
6. What does the author mean by the fear of freedom?
(a) The fear of being thrown in jail.
(b) Fear of authority figures.
(c) Being allowed to say what you like.
(d) The mistaken idea of what being free looks like.
7. What does Friere maintain in the Preface that his readers must be ready for?
(c) The time of their lives.
8. Who was Karl Marx?
(a) A Russian Premier.
(b) A leader of armies.
(c) A historical industrialist.
(d) A political theorist, one of the fathers of Communism.
9. What is the goal of critical consciousness?
(a) To be the perfect worker at your job.
(b) To become the best in society.
(c) To become fully humanized.
(d) To lead a revolution.
10. What does Friere propose to do to the education system?
(a) To control it.
(b) To reinforce it.
(c) To enforce it.
(d) Create a new sort of education that is based on partnership.
11. What does critical thinking help to analyzes, according to Friere?
(a) The Oppressors.
(b) The material reality, living conditions, and 'real' situation around the oppressed' lives.
(c) The Oppressed.
12. Why, does Friere say, oppression is dehumanizing?
(a) Because the oppressed are not treated as individuals any more.
(b) Because oppression cannot manage many people at one time.
(c) Because it has to be.
(d) It doesn't mean to be.
13. What is an Authority figure?
(a) Someone who has power over those below them.
(b) Someone we always look up to.
(c) Someone we look up to.
(d) Someone we should look up to.
14. What is tyranny?
(a) A type of lizard.
(b) A power-hungry ruler.
(c) A type of education system.
(d) A system where everyone shares the wealth.
15. Who do the Oppressed blame for their status in life?
(a) No one.
(d) Anyone but their oppressors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is pedagogy?
2. Does one have to live in a tyrannical state to be oppressed?
3. What is a revolutionary?
4. What is a poverty of the mind in this context?
5. What is Mr Giddy's view on education?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)