Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Avery warns that which of the following is imminent?
2. How well does Wiki interact with Paul's computer?
3. How does Della figure out that Mike is in an Authority vehicle?
4. Where does Mike suggest that Paul move?
5. What does Della do while she is out on a walk with Mike?
Essay Topic 1
Mike is torn in multiple directions throughout the novel, and ends up betraying those who trusted him multiple times. In the end, he is unable to live with the consequences of his actions, and has himself embobbled to avoid the scorn of those he has wronged.
1) Discuss Mike's personality traits and background, and how these characteristics affect his loyalty and moral bearing.
2) Describe the reasons that Mike had for working with the Authority to betray the bioscientists. How did Mike feel about this betrayal?
3) Discuss Mike's relationship with and eventual betrayal of Della. What conflicting feelings does Mike experience during this relationship?
4) Explain Mike's perception of himself, and how it changes throughout the course of the novel, eventually causing him to have himself embobbled.
Essay Topic 2
Avery, the leader of the Authority in its base of power, the west coast of the United States, begins the novel as a suspicious but effective leader. As events progress, he slowly looses his grasp on sanity, and it becomes clear he has allowed his obsessions to get the better of him.
1) Discuss Avery as a character and a leader. What are his most important defining traits, what makes him an effective leader, and how did he come to a position of power within the Authority?
2) Describe the obsessions that plague Avery and how he struggles with them. Cite examples of Avery either overcoming or being defeated by these obsessions and describe how these events affect his psyche.
3) Explain Avery's final descent into madness, its causes, and its effects on the final conflict with the Tinkers.
Essay Topic 3
Trust forms an important part of the development of at least two major characters. Both Wili and Paul learn to trust others and reform themselves dramatically after someone else extends them unconditional trust. Although there were significant risks taken in both cases, the results were positive.
1) Explain why Paul decided to trust Wili, and how Wili responded to this trust.
2) Discuss Wili's decision to trust Mike. How was Wili influenced by his own experiences in making this decision, and what effect did it have on Mike?
3) Summarize the theme of trust within the novel and how it initiates character progression.
4) Speculate as to how the story may have progressed differently had Paul or Wili made different decisions with regards to trusting others.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)