|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Della figure out that Mike is in an Authority vehicle?
2. Della gives Mike information about what?
3. What false information has Wili been feeding to the Authority?
4. Mike realizes that an Authority vehicle of what type was destroyed by Wili's bobbles?
5. What does Della strike Avery down with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Wili's assessment of the situation with Mike and Della?
2. Why are Paul and the others stopped on the road to the Authority enclave?
3. Why does Wili embobble the tenement building during the hottest part of the day?
4. How does Mike feel about losing Jeremy inside the bobble at the bioscience lab?
5. Why does Kaladze say Wili should trust Mike?
6. How does Wili predict where the embobbled tenement building will go?
7. Why does Avery believe the Tinkers should be wiped out?
8. How does Mike betray Della?
9. How and why do Mike and Wili demonstrate their new bobble generator?
10. What new device do Paul and Wili create together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The bobbles are a defining element of the setting, and all the major events of the novel and of the history leading up to it are shaped by them. They represent a kind of super-weapon, superseding nuclear weapons, and allowing the Peace Authority to control much of the world.
1) Explain what a bobble is, how it is created and destroyed, and what its characteristics are.
2) Describe some uses for bobbles that are seen in the novel.
3) Explain how the Authority is able to control most of the world through their use of bobbles.
4) Discuss the impact that Paul and Wili's rogue bobble-generator has on the world and its political balance.
Essay Topic 2
The Red Arrow Industries are the remnants of a foreign military force from the advent of the Peace Authority. Over the years, they have changed significantly and play an important role in the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
1) Describe the origins of Red Arrow Industries, including how they came into conflict with the Authority, and how and why they settled in North America.
2) Explain how Red Arrow Industries operates as a community and as a manufacturing business. Discuss their technological and business relationship with the Tinkers and the organization of their settlement.
3) Discuss the role that Red Arrow Industries plays in the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
Essay Topic 3
Paul is consumed by guilt and regrets, and despite his personal strength, he begins to succumb to the pressures of things he believes he is responsible for, and the ways in which he has failed those around him.
1) Discuss Paul's attitude towards the bobbles. Are his protests against them genuine, or are they reactions to other deep-seated feelings that he may be harboring?
2) Describe how and why Paul feels guilty about losing Allison, and how he reacts when she is freed from her bobble. How do these events weight on Paul?
3) Explain Paul's decline as a leader and explain how it is related to the stresses he experiences from his guilts and regrets.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)