Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Avery warns that which of the following is imminent?
2. How well does Wiki interact with Paul's computer?
3. How does Della figure out that Mike is in an Authority vehicle?
4. Where does Mike suggest that Paul move?
5. What does Della do while she is out on a walk with Mike?
Essay Topic 1
The final chapters of the book center around the final conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority. After Paul and the others are discovered, a large battle ensues, raging in the area around the Authority enclave for multiple days.
1) Briefly explain the events leading up to the final conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority and the reasons both sides have for engaging in the conflict.
2) Discuss the major advantages both sides bring to the battle, including factors such as intelligence, planning, numbers, and technology.
3) Describe the course of the battle, including its major events and resolution.
Essay Topic 2
Technology plays an important role throughout the novel. The Authority and the Tinkers have fundamental disagreements about how it should be pursued and employed, and these disagreements lead to the central conflict of the book.
1) Explain the Authority's position on technology and describe some of the technologies it has banned outright and those which it has reserved solely for itself.
2) Describe how the Tinkers interact with technology and how they are able to make significant advances despite their limitations.
3) Discuss the impact that these two competing forces have on the average people in this setting. What technologies are available, and how are they controlled or acquired?
4) Explain why the Authority and the Tinkers come into direct conflict over the issue of technology and how their disagreements shape the overall plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, the world has been totally destabilized by the destruction of the Authority as a cohesive organization. Although Paul, Wili, and the others have accomplished what they set out to do, they express concerns about what effects their actions will have on the world at large.
1) Discuss the major events that occur at the end of the novel which will have a major impact on the stability of the world. Describe the causes of these events and how closely they conformed to Paul's plans.
2) Describe the major political and military powers that exist outside of the Authority, and how they are likely to react to the power vacuum created by the bobbling of the Authority enclave.
3) Speculate, using information from the book, about how the characters remaining at the end of the novel will act to stabilize the world.
4) Based on the situation and the possibilities you have discussed so far, make an assessment as to whether or not Paul and the Tinkers were justified in their plan of action against the Authority.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)