|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Authority react to Wili's ploy?
2. Why do the gangs around the embobbled tenement building help Wili?
3. How does Della feel about her attack on the pass being foiled?
4. What force drives the floating bobble of the tenement building inland?
5. What does Avery say Della has reported to him about Paul?
Essay Topic 1
The Authority is a world-spanning organization that maintains control over most of the globe through aggressive use of the bobbles, which it has exclusive access to. Although it ostensibly exists to maintain peace throughout the world, it also causes a considerable amount of human suffering and carries out various immoral acts.
1) Discuss what the Authority is, and how it came to power. Explain its organization, goals, and resources.
2) Describe the ways the Authority harms humanity through its restrictions on technology and its aggressive maintenance of the peace.
3) Explain how the Authority is able to maintain public support for its rule, despite its despotic activities and harsh restrictions.
Essay Topic 2
Technology plays an important role throughout the novel. The Authority and the Tinkers have fundamental disagreements about how it should be pursued and employed, and these disagreements lead to the central conflict of the book.
1) Explain the Authority's position on technology and describe some of the technologies it has banned outright and those which it has reserved solely for itself.
2) Describe how the Tinkers interact with technology and how they are able to make significant advances despite their limitations.
3) Discuss the impact that these two competing forces have on the average people in this setting. What technologies are available, and how are they controlled or acquired?
4) Explain why the Authority and the Tinkers come into direct conflict over the issue of technology and how their disagreements shape the overall plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The Red Arrow Industries are the remnants of a foreign military force from the advent of the Peace Authority. Over the years, they have changed significantly and play an important role in the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
1) Describe the origins of Red Arrow Industries, including how they came into conflict with the Authority, and how and why they settled in North America.
2) Explain how Red Arrow Industries operates as a community and as a manufacturing business. Discuss their technological and business relationship with the Tinkers and the organization of their settlement.
3) Discuss the role that Red Arrow Industries plays in the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
This section contains 2,779 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)