|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Della use to indicate Wili's location to the Authority as he tries to escape from the tenement building area?
2. What do Wili and Paul say they need to create larger bobbles?
3. How long does Wili secretly know that the bobble around the tenement building will last?
4. How long does the Authority believe it has until the Tinker attack on the Authority?
5. Avery warns that which of the following is imminent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul decide to embobble himself?
2. What happens during Della's attack on the pass?
3. Why does Wili embobble the tenement building during the hottest part of the day?
4. How is Wili able to move safely through the dangerous neighborhoods around the embobbled tenement building?
5. Why does Mike contact Della, and what information is exchanged?
6. How does Mike feel about losing Jeremy inside the bobble at the bioscience lab?
7. How and why do Mike and Wili demonstrate their new bobble generator?
8. Why does Wili lose contact with Jill during the final approach to the embobbling position?
9. How does Wili predict where the embobbled tenement building will go?
10. How does Wili manipulate Della and Mike while they are at the demonstration of the power generator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Red Arrow Industries are the remnants of a foreign military force from the advent of the Peace Authority. Over the years, they have changed significantly and play an important role in the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
1) Describe the origins of Red Arrow Industries, including how they came into conflict with the Authority, and how and why they settled in North America.
2) Explain how Red Arrow Industries operates as a community and as a manufacturing business. Discuss their technological and business relationship with the Tinkers and the organization of their settlement.
3) Discuss the role that Red Arrow Industries plays in the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
Essay Topic 2
Jill is a computer program created by Paul for both practical and sentimental reasons. At the height of the final battle between the Tinkers and the Authority, she allows Wili to escape while sentencing herself to almost certain capture and destruction.
1) Discuss the reasons Paul had for creating Jill. Describe her sentimental importance to Paul, and the functional role she fulfills.
2) Explain some of the behaviors Jill exhibits which suggest she has become more than a simple program. Additionally, discuss the reactions other characters have to these behaviors.
3) After Jill sends Wili away to complete the embobbling program herself, the other characters discuss whether or not she was fully sentient and whether her actions constituted a sacrifice. Cite evidence from the book and speculate as to whether Jill was independently intelligent, whether she had real emotions, and whether her destruction constitutes a real sacrifice.
Essay Topic 3
Della is a skilled operative and military leader for the Authority and initially appears willing to do anything to carry out her mission to capture Paul Hoehler. However, her sentiments change and more details about her personality are revealed; she eventually betrays the Authority in stop project Renaissance.
1) Describe Della's position within the Authority and make an assessment of her capabilities and loyalties.
2) Explain how Della uses Mike, and speculate as to whether or not Mike's morals affect her.
3) Discuss Della's progression as a character, particularly her distaste for killing, and her decision to betray the Authority. What are her reasons for this drastic action?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)