|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wili notes that most of those attending the tournament where what?
2. What happens to Angus during the Authority's attempt to capture the crash survivors?
3. What unusual being does Wili believe he sees in Paul's house?
4. What usual crop is often grown near bobbles?
5. How does Della rescue Mike and Wili at the coast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Paul's and Mile's assessments of Wili's illness differ?
2. What is the Santa Yrez Police Company, and why are they present at the Old California Shopping Center?
3. How is Wili treated at Paul's house?
4. What is unusual about the guests Paul receives at his house?
5. What are Paul's reasons for accepting Wili as an apprentice?
6. Describe Paul's physical and personality characteristics.
7. According to the bioscientists, what is the nature of and cure for Wili's disease?
8. How did Wili's parent's react when they discovered his illness?
9. What traits do Wili and Paul share?
10. Describe the symptoms of the illness that overcomes Wili during the first winter he spends with Paul.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trust forms an important part of the development of at least two major characters. Both Wili and Paul learn to trust others and reform themselves dramatically after someone else extends them unconditional trust. Although there were significant risks taken in both cases, the results were positive.
1) Explain why Paul decided to trust Wili, and how Wili responded to this trust.
2) Discuss Wili's decision to trust Mike. How was Wili influenced by his own experiences in making this decision, and what effect did it have on Mike?
3) Summarize the theme of trust within the novel and how it initiates character progression.
4) Speculate as to how the story may have progressed differently had Paul or Wili made different decisions with regards to trusting others.
Essay Topic 2
The events that led to the unusual state of raffias are only discussed tangentially and only become clear in the final chapters of the story. The rise of the Authority rapidly and dramatically altered the political landscape of the world.
1) Explain how the bobbles were discovered and first created. What involvement did Paul and the progenitors of the Authority have in these discoveries?
2) Describe how the Authority came to power and how it was able to subdue major military powers such as the United States?
3) Using evidence from the book, speculate as to how the setting could have evolved differently had some minor factors been altered slightly.
Essay Topic 3
Wili experiences the most growth of any character over the course of the novel. Although he begins as an orphaned and miscreant youth, he becomes an important leader within the Tinkers and possibly the most influential thinker in the world.
1) Discuss Wili as a character at the time that he enters the story. What is his background and what are his character traits? Explain how he uses his considerably intellect at this time.
2) Describe the causes of Wili's reform as a moral person. Explain what initiates this change and discuss some examples of Wili's superior moral standing from events in the later parts of the novel.
3) Explain Wili's growth as an intellectual thinker and leader. Identify the point where he surpasses and takes over for Paul, and how and why he becomes recognized by others in the Tinker movement as an important leader.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)