|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul think will be able to help Wili?
2. What evidence causes the Authority to suspect the Tinkers possess an advanced technology?
3. It is believed that bobbles last for how long?
4. What does Paul shoot Wili Wachendon with?
5. What position does Miguel Rosas hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Paul's reasons for accepting Wili as an apprentice?
2. What is unusual about the guests Paul receives at his house?
3. Explain the factors that contributed to Wili's decision to stay with Paul.
4. What discovery causes the Authority to become more suspicious about the Tinkers?
5. According to the bioscientists, what is the nature of and cure for Wili's disease?
6. How and why did the Red Arrow Battalion settle in America?
7. What is the Santa Yrez Police Company, and why are they present at the Old California Shopping Center?
8. What is Wili's plan when he arrives at Paul's home?
9. What happens to Jeremy as he, Wili, and Mike attempt to escape from the bioscience lab?
10. How do Paul's and Mile's assessments of Wili's illness differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Red Arrow Industries are the remnants of a foreign military force from the advent of the Peace Authority. Over the years, they have changed significantly and play an important role in the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
1) Describe the origins of Red Arrow Industries, including how they came into conflict with the Authority, and how and why they settled in North America.
2) Explain how Red Arrow Industries operates as a community and as a manufacturing business. Discuss their technological and business relationship with the Tinkers and the organization of their settlement.
3) Discuss the role that Red Arrow Industries plays in the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
Essay Topic 2
Mike is torn in multiple directions throughout the novel, and ends up betraying those who trusted him multiple times. In the end, he is unable to live with the consequences of his actions, and has himself embobbled to avoid the scorn of those he has wronged.
1) Discuss Mike's personality traits and background, and how these characteristics affect his loyalty and moral bearing.
2) Describe the reasons that Mike had for working with the Authority to betray the bioscientists. How did Mike feel about this betrayal?
3) Discuss Mike's relationship with and eventual betrayal of Della. What conflicting feelings does Mike experience during this relationship?
4) Explain Mike's perception of himself, and how it changes throughout the course of the novel, eventually causing him to have himself embobbled.
Essay Topic 3
The Tinkers are a wide spread and loosely organized group that reveres Paul and his work. Although they suffer a significant blow during the events after the chess tournament, their actions as a group drive the plot of the second half of the novel.
1) Describe the Tinkers as a group, their organization, resources, philosophy, and goals.
2) Describe the relationship between the Authority and the Tinkers and discuss the reasons this relationship becomes stressed to the point of war.
3) Discuss some of the major aids that the Tinkers are able to provide to the average people of this setting, and describe the general attitude of those people towards the Tinkers.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)