|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamilton Avery explains that what area was destroyed by the detonation of a bobble?
2. Why does Wili believe he will be killed if he returns to the factions?
3. The woman who greets Mike, Wili, and Jeremy at the entrance to the bioscience lab tells them what?
4. Which of the following is one of the chores Wili is assigned to?
5. What unusual structure does Angus report having seen during the crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the guests Paul receives at his house?
2. What traits do Wili and Paul share?
3. What are Paul's reasons for accepting Wili as an apprentice?
4. Describe Paul's physical and personality characteristics.
5. How is the bioscience lab hidden?
6. Which group does Mike betray by taking Wili to the bioscientists?
7. How did Wili's parent's react when they discovered his illness?
8. Who was Sylvester, and what did he do for Wili?
9. What is Paul's opinion about the bobbles?
10. What is Wili's plan when he arrives at Paul's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, the world has been totally destabilized by the destruction of the Authority as a cohesive organization. Although Paul, Wili, and the others have accomplished what they set out to do, they express concerns about what effects their actions will have on the world at large.
1) Discuss the major events that occur at the end of the novel which will have a major impact on the stability of the world. Describe the causes of these events and how closely they conformed to Paul's plans.
2) Describe the major political and military powers that exist outside of the Authority, and how they are likely to react to the power vacuum created by the bobbling of the Authority enclave.
3) Speculate, using information from the book, about how the characters remaining at the end of the novel will act to stabilize the world.
4) Based on the situation and the possibilities you have discussed so far, make an assessment as to whether or not Paul and the Tinkers were justified in their plan of action against the Authority.
Essay Topic 2
Project Renaissance begins as a fall back plan created in the face of an uncertain threat from the Tinkers. However, Avery's increasing paranoia cause him to attempt to trigger this doomsday plan with little provocation.
1) Describe Project Renaissance. What is its purpose, and what would its launch involve? What would be the impact of this plan on the world?
2) Discuss the Authority's general willingness to fall back on Renaissance. Why do some Authority figures believe it will not be necessary, and why do some of them believe it should not be enacted in any case?
3) Explain Avery's decision to launch Renaissance. According to the information he had available, how justified was this decision? Explain the forces that compelled him to make this decision, and what unknown factors could have swayed his decision one way or another.
Essay Topic 3
Kaladze is an important leader, and as a powerful independent force, both the Tinkers and the Authority attempt to maneuver him to their advantage.
1) Describe Kaladze as a character and a leader. Describe the nature of his settlement and the forces that he controls.
2) Discuss the interest Kaladze has in the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority and how he initially sides himself. Explain how Paul and others are able to influence him to support the Tinkers' side.
3) Explain Della's attempts to manipulate Kaladze on behalf of the Authority. How does she attempt to control his actions, and what does she hope to cause him to do? Explain how successful Della's plan is.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)