|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul shoot Wili Wachendon with?
2. How does Della rescue Mike and Wili at the coast?
3. Which of the following is one of the chores Wili is assigned to?
4. To whom does Allison intend to report her findings about Livermore?
5. What is the outcome of the match between Wili and Della Lu?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mike betray Della?
2. How and why does Della manipulate Mike?
3. How is Wili able to move safely through the dangerous neighborhoods around the embobbled tenement building?
4. How does Della and Mike's relationship change while they are at Kaladze's camp?
5. What is Wili's assessment of the situation with Mike and Della?
6. According to the bioscientists, what is the nature of and cure for Wili's disease?
7. How does Paul help Allison escape from the Authority?
8. What is Wili's plan when he arrives at Paul's home?
9. What is the Santa Yrez Police Company, and why are they present at the Old California Shopping Center?
10. How do Paul's and Mile's assessments of Wili's illness differ?
Essay Topic 1
Technology plays an important role throughout the novel. The Authority and the Tinkers have fundamental disagreements about how it should be pursued and employed, and these disagreements lead to the central conflict of the book.
1) Explain the Authority's position on technology and describe some of the technologies it has banned outright and those which it has reserved solely for itself.
2) Describe how the Tinkers interact with technology and how they are able to make significant advances despite their limitations.
3) Discuss the impact that these two competing forces have on the average people in this setting. What technologies are available, and how are they controlled or acquired?
4) Explain why the Authority and the Tinkers come into direct conflict over the issue of technology and how their disagreements shape the overall plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The events that led to the unusual state of raffias are only discussed tangentially and only become clear in the final chapters of the story. The rise of the Authority rapidly and dramatically altered the political landscape of the world.
1) Explain how the bobbles were discovered and first created. What involvement did Paul and the progenitors of the Authority have in these discoveries?
2) Describe how the Authority came to power and how it was able to subdue major military powers such as the United States?
3) Using evidence from the book, speculate as to how the setting could have evolved differently had some minor factors been altered slightly.
Essay Topic 3
Della is a skilled operative and military leader for the Authority and initially appears willing to do anything to carry out her mission to capture Paul Hoehler. However, her sentiments change and more details about her personality are revealed; she eventually betrays the Authority in stop project Renaissance.
1) Describe Della's position within the Authority and make an assessment of her capabilities and loyalties.
2) Explain how Della uses Mike, and speculate as to whether or not Mike's morals affect her.
3) Discuss Della's progression as a character, particularly her distaste for killing, and her decision to betray the Authority. What are her reasons for this drastic action?
This section contains 3,176 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)