|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of transportation do most of the people at the Old California Shopping Center use?
2. Della explains that the Authority believes the Tinkers have achieved what advanced technology?
3. How does Paul find out about the attempt to capture Angus and Allison?
4. Why does Wili initially intend to stay with Paul?
5. What does Angus say was unusual about the tombstone he saw at the crash site?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why did the Red Arrow Battalion settle in America?
2. Explain the factors that contributed to Wili's decision to stay with Paul.
3. What is Paul's opinion about the bobbles?
4. How do Paul's and Mile's assessments of Wili's illness differ?
5. What is the relationship between the Tinkers and the Authority?
6. How and why does Della manipulate Mike?
7. How does Wili perform at the chess tournament, and what disadvantage does he face?
8. How is Wili treated at Paul's house?
9. What is unusual about the guests Paul receives at his house?
10. How is the bioscience lab hidden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wili experiences the most growth of any character over the course of the novel. Although he begins as an orphaned and miscreant youth, he becomes an important leader within the Tinkers and possibly the most influential thinker in the world.
1) Discuss Wili as a character at the time that he enters the story. What is his background and what are his character traits? Explain how he uses his considerably intellect at this time.
2) Describe the causes of Wili's reform as a moral person. Explain what initiates this change and discuss some examples of Wili's superior moral standing from events in the later parts of the novel.
3) Explain Wili's growth as an intellectual thinker and leader. Identify the point where he surpasses and takes over for Paul, and how and why he becomes recognized by others in the Tinker movement as an important leader.
Essay Topic 2
Project Renaissance begins as a fall back plan created in the face of an uncertain threat from the Tinkers. However, Avery's increasing paranoia cause him to attempt to trigger this doomsday plan with little provocation.
1) Describe Project Renaissance. What is its purpose, and what would its launch involve? What would be the impact of this plan on the world?
2) Discuss the Authority's general willingness to fall back on Renaissance. Why do some Authority figures believe it will not be necessary, and why do some of them believe it should not be enacted in any case?
3) Explain Avery's decision to launch Renaissance. According to the information he had available, how justified was this decision? Explain the forces that compelled him to make this decision, and what unknown factors could have swayed his decision one way or another.
Essay Topic 3
The final chapters of the book center around the final conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority. After Paul and the others are discovered, a large battle ensues, raging in the area around the Authority enclave for multiple days.
1) Briefly explain the events leading up to the final conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority and the reasons both sides have for engaging in the conflict.
2) Discuss the major advantages both sides bring to the battle, including factors such as intelligence, planning, numbers, and technology.
3) Describe the course of the battle, including its major events and resolution.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)