|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Vandenburg?
2. What devices do Paul and the others use to help protect them from their pursuers?
3. How does Wili react to losing his final match?
4. What date was printed on the tombstone Angus saw at the crash site?
5. What does Wili lack that most of the other chess players have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul not accompany Wili to the chess tournament?
2. Which group does Mike betray by taking Wili to the bioscientists?
3. How did Wili's parent's react when they discovered his illness?
4. How do Paul's and Mile's assessments of Wili's illness differ?
5. At the Peace Authority, what causes are discussed for the collapse of the bobble near Greater Tucson?
6. What discovery causes the Authority to become more suspicious about the Tinkers?
7. How does Wili perform at the chess tournament, and what disadvantage does he face?
8. How does Paul help Allison escape from the Authority?
9. What is the Santa Yrez Police Company, and why are they present at the Old California Shopping Center?
10. What are Paul's reasons for accepting Wili as an apprentice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Della is a skilled operative and military leader for the Authority and initially appears willing to do anything to carry out her mission to capture Paul Hoehler. However, her sentiments change and more details about her personality are revealed; she eventually betrays the Authority in stop project Renaissance.
1) Describe Della's position within the Authority and make an assessment of her capabilities and loyalties.
2) Explain how Della uses Mike, and speculate as to whether or not Mike's morals affect her.
3) Discuss Della's progression as a character, particularly her distaste for killing, and her decision to betray the Authority. What are her reasons for this drastic action?
Essay Topic 2
Mike is torn in multiple directions throughout the novel, and ends up betraying those who trusted him multiple times. In the end, he is unable to live with the consequences of his actions, and has himself embobbled to avoid the scorn of those he has wronged.
1) Discuss Mike's personality traits and background, and how these characteristics affect his loyalty and moral bearing.
2) Describe the reasons that Mike had for working with the Authority to betray the bioscientists. How did Mike feel about this betrayal?
3) Discuss Mike's relationship with and eventual betrayal of Della. What conflicting feelings does Mike experience during this relationship?
4) Explain Mike's perception of himself, and how it changes throughout the course of the novel, eventually causing him to have himself embobbled.
Essay Topic 3
Technology plays an important role throughout the novel. The Authority and the Tinkers have fundamental disagreements about how it should be pursued and employed, and these disagreements lead to the central conflict of the book.
1) Explain the Authority's position on technology and describe some of the technologies it has banned outright and those which it has reserved solely for itself.
2) Describe how the Tinkers interact with technology and how they are able to make significant advances despite their limitations.
3) Discuss the impact that these two competing forces have on the average people in this setting. What technologies are available, and how are they controlled or acquired?
4) Explain why the Authority and the Tinkers come into direct conflict over the issue of technology and how their disagreements shape the overall plot of the novel.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)