Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul shoot Wili Wachendon with?
2. Why have others often urged Paul to take on an apprentice?
3. What happens to Angus during the Authority's attempt to capture the crash survivors?
4. Where does Angus believe he and Allison have crashed?
5. How was Allison injured during the crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Avery believe the Tinkers should be wiped out?
2. How is the bioscience lab hidden?
3. What is Paul's home like?
4. How are Paul and the others able to travel to the Authority enclave in secret?
5. What traits do Wili and Paul share?
6. What types of advanced technology does Paul introduce to Wili?
7. Why does Wili lose contact with Jill during the final approach to the embobbling position?
8. What is Wili's assessment of the situation with Mike and Della?
9. What is Avery's attitude towards the Tinkers?
10. How and why do Mike and Wili demonstrate their new bobble generator?
Essay Topic 1
Della is a skilled operative and military leader for the Authority and initially appears willing to do anything to carry out her mission to capture Paul Hoehler. However, her sentiments change and more details about her personality are revealed; she eventually betrays the Authority in stop project Renaissance.
1) Describe Della's position within the Authority and make an assessment of her capabilities and loyalties.
2) Explain how Della uses Mike, and speculate as to whether or not Mike's morals affect her.
3) Discuss Della's progression as a character, particularly her distaste for killing, and her decision to betray the Authority. What are her reasons for this drastic action?
Essay Topic 2
The events after the chess tournament and at the tenement house spark the final conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority, exacerbating a disagreement that could have smoldered for a long time or fizzled into nothing.
1) Explain the Authority's motivations for intervening at the chess tournament. What were their long and short term goals in this action, and what consequences did they anticipate or fail to anticipate?
2) Discuss Wili's insistence on aiding those trapped at the tenement house. Explain his plan to help them and why he is willing and able to follow through on this dangerous plan.
3) Describe how the events surrounding the chess tournament hostages escalate the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
4) Cite evidence from the novel to explain how the plot may have progressed differently had either Wili or the Authority acted differently at either of these junctions.
Essay Topic 3
The Tinkers are a wide spread and loosely organized group that reveres Paul and his work. Although they suffer a significant blow during the events after the chess tournament, their actions as a group drive the plot of the second half of the novel.
1) Describe the Tinkers as a group, their organization, resources, philosophy, and goals.
2) Describe the relationship between the Authority and the Tinkers and discuss the reasons this relationship becomes stressed to the point of war.
3) Discuss some of the major aids that the Tinkers are able to provide to the average people of this setting, and describe the general attitude of those people towards the Tinkers.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)