Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul shoot Wili Wachendon with?
2. Why have others often urged Paul to take on an apprentice?
3. What happens to Angus during the Authority's attempt to capture the crash survivors?
4. Where does Angus believe he and Allison have crashed?
5. How was Allison injured during the crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Avery believe the Tinkers should be wiped out?
2. How is the bioscience lab hidden?
3. What is Paul's home like?
4. How are Paul and the others able to travel to the Authority enclave in secret?
5. What traits do Wili and Paul share?
6. What types of advanced technology does Paul introduce to Wili?
7. Why does Wili lose contact with Jill during the final approach to the embobbling position?
8. What is Wili's assessment of the situation with Mike and Della?
9. What is Avery's attitude towards the Tinkers?
10. How and why do Mike and Wili demonstrate their new bobble generator?
Essay Topic 1
The events that led to the unusual state of raffias are only discussed tangentially and only become clear in the final chapters of the story. The rise of the Authority rapidly and dramatically altered the political landscape of the world.
1) Explain how the bobbles were discovered and first created. What involvement did Paul and the progenitors of the Authority have in these discoveries?
2) Describe how the Authority came to power and how it was able to subdue major military powers such as the United States?
3) Using evidence from the book, speculate as to how the setting could have evolved differently had some minor factors been altered slightly.
Essay Topic 2
Paul recognizes quickly that Wili has a deep love of knowledge, a trait that connects them, and which allows Wili's capabilities to grow rapidly under Paul's tutelage. This passion is a critical element of the story and plays an important role in the denouement.
1) Explain how Paul recognizes Wili's love for knowledge, and why this trait interests him.
2) Discuss the impact of this trait on Wili's development and studies; explain how it positions him to take over for Paul later in the novel.
3) Describe some of the other characters and groups who share this trait, and discuss how they are presented in the novel. Is a love of knowledge presented as a universal good, a mixed good, or in a neutral light?
4) Explain the importance some characters predict, near the end of the novel, that the love of knowledge will have.
Essay Topic 3
The Red Arrow Industries are the remnants of a foreign military force from the advent of the Peace Authority. Over the years, they have changed significantly and play an important role in the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
1) Describe the origins of Red Arrow Industries, including how they came into conflict with the Authority, and how and why they settled in North America.
2) Explain how Red Arrow Industries operates as a community and as a manufacturing business. Discuss their technological and business relationship with the Tinkers and the organization of their settlement.
3) Discuss the role that Red Arrow Industries plays in the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)