|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Della threaten Mike with, should he fail to cooperate with her?
2. How does Wili say he learned about Mike's cooperation with the Authority?
3. At the tournament, who does Wili note has not been taken by the Authority?
4. Where does Angus believe he and Allison have crashed?
5. Della sees the people who were at the chess tournament as which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why does Della manipulate Mike?
2. What happens to Jeremy as he, Wili, and Mike attempt to escape from the bioscience lab?
3. What is the Santa Yrez Police Company, and why are they present at the Old California Shopping Center?
4. How did Wili's parent's react when they discovered his illness?
5. What is Paul's home like?
6. How and why did the Red Arrow Battalion settle in America?
7. How does Paul help Allison escape from the Authority?
8. What is the Authority's plan for the Tinkers?
9. Describe Paul's physical and personality characteristics.
10. Who was Sylvester, and what did he do for Wili?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project Renaissance begins as a fall back plan created in the face of an uncertain threat from the Tinkers. However, Avery's increasing paranoia cause him to attempt to trigger this doomsday plan with little provocation.
1) Describe Project Renaissance. What is its purpose, and what would its launch involve? What would be the impact of this plan on the world?
2) Discuss the Authority's general willingness to fall back on Renaissance. Why do some Authority figures believe it will not be necessary, and why do some of them believe it should not be enacted in any case?
3) Explain Avery's decision to launch Renaissance. According to the information he had available, how justified was this decision? Explain the forces that compelled him to make this decision, and what unknown factors could have swayed his decision one way or another.
Essay Topic 2
Trust forms an important part of the development of at least two major characters. Both Wili and Paul learn to trust others and reform themselves dramatically after someone else extends them unconditional trust. Although there were significant risks taken in both cases, the results were positive.
1) Explain why Paul decided to trust Wili, and how Wili responded to this trust.
2) Discuss Wili's decision to trust Mike. How was Wili influenced by his own experiences in making this decision, and what effect did it have on Mike?
3) Summarize the theme of trust within the novel and how it initiates character progression.
4) Speculate as to how the story may have progressed differently had Paul or Wili made different decisions with regards to trusting others.
Essay Topic 3
The events after the chess tournament and at the tenement house spark the final conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority, exacerbating a disagreement that could have smoldered for a long time or fizzled into nothing.
1) Explain the Authority's motivations for intervening at the chess tournament. What were their long and short term goals in this action, and what consequences did they anticipate or fail to anticipate?
2) Discuss Wili's insistence on aiding those trapped at the tenement house. Explain his plan to help them and why he is willing and able to follow through on this dangerous plan.
3) Describe how the events surrounding the chess tournament hostages escalate the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
4) Cite evidence from the novel to explain how the plot may have progressed differently had either Wili or the Authority acted differently at either of these junctions.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)