|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul shoot Wili Wachendon with?
2. Why have others often urged Paul to take on an apprentice?
3. What happens to Angus during the Authority's attempt to capture the crash survivors?
4. Where does Angus believe he and Allison have crashed?
5. How was Allison injured during the crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Avery believe the Tinkers should be wiped out?
2. How is the bioscience lab hidden?
3. What is Paul's home like?
4. How are Paul and the others able to travel to the Authority enclave in secret?
5. What traits do Wili and Paul share?
6. What types of advanced technology does Paul introduce to Wili?
7. Why does Wili lose contact with Jill during the final approach to the embobbling position?
8. What is Wili's assessment of the situation with Mike and Della?
9. What is Avery's attitude towards the Tinkers?
10. How and why do Mike and Wili demonstrate their new bobble generator?
Essay Topic 1
Della is a skilled operative and military leader for the Authority and initially appears willing to do anything to carry out her mission to capture Paul Hoehler. However, her sentiments change and more details about her personality are revealed; she eventually betrays the Authority in stop project Renaissance.
1) Describe Della's position within the Authority and make an assessment of her capabilities and loyalties.
2) Explain how Della uses Mike, and speculate as to whether or not Mike's morals affect her.
3) Discuss Della's progression as a character, particularly her distaste for killing, and her decision to betray the Authority. What are her reasons for this drastic action?
Essay Topic 2
Trust forms an important part of the development of at least two major characters. Both Wili and Paul learn to trust others and reform themselves dramatically after someone else extends them unconditional trust. Although there were significant risks taken in both cases, the results were positive.
1) Explain why Paul decided to trust Wili, and how Wili responded to this trust.
2) Discuss Wili's decision to trust Mike. How was Wili influenced by his own experiences in making this decision, and what effect did it have on Mike?
3) Summarize the theme of trust within the novel and how it initiates character progression.
4) Speculate as to how the story may have progressed differently had Paul or Wili made different decisions with regards to trusting others.
Essay Topic 3
Project Renaissance begins as a fall back plan created in the face of an uncertain threat from the Tinkers. However, Avery's increasing paranoia cause him to attempt to trigger this doomsday plan with little provocation.
1) Describe Project Renaissance. What is its purpose, and what would its launch involve? What would be the impact of this plan on the world?
2) Discuss the Authority's general willingness to fall back on Renaissance. Why do some Authority figures believe it will not be necessary, and why do some of them believe it should not be enacted in any case?
3) Explain Avery's decision to launch Renaissance. According to the information he had available, how justified was this decision? Explain the forces that compelled him to make this decision, and what unknown factors could have swayed his decision one way or another.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)