|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Allison injured during the crash?
2. What does Della say the Authority intends to do with the Tinkers?
3. What does Wili intend to do when he leaves Paul's house?
4. What does Mike tell Wili to do in his last match?
5. Why does Paul pass out while trying to help Allison escape capture?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why does Della manipulate Mike?
2. What is Avery's attitude towards the Tinkers?
3. How did Wili's parent's react when they discovered his illness?
4. How and why did the Red Arrow Battalion settle in America?
5. How do Paul's and Mile's assessments of Wili's illness differ?
6. What traits do Wili and Paul share?
7. What is Wili's plan when he arrives at Paul's home?
8. What is the relationship between the Tinkers and the Authority?
9. How does Wili perform at the chess tournament, and what disadvantage does he face?
10. What discovery causes the Authority to become more suspicious about the Tinkers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jill is a computer program created by Paul for both practical and sentimental reasons. At the height of the final battle between the Tinkers and the Authority, she allows Wili to escape while sentencing herself to almost certain capture and destruction.
1) Discuss the reasons Paul had for creating Jill. Describe her sentimental importance to Paul, and the functional role she fulfills.
2) Explain some of the behaviors Jill exhibits which suggest she has become more than a simple program. Additionally, discuss the reactions other characters have to these behaviors.
3) After Jill sends Wili away to complete the embobbling program herself, the other characters discuss whether or not she was fully sentient and whether her actions constituted a sacrifice. Cite evidence from the book and speculate as to whether Jill was independently intelligent, whether she had real emotions, and whether her destruction constitutes a real sacrifice.
Essay Topic 2
The events after the chess tournament and at the tenement house spark the final conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority, exacerbating a disagreement that could have smoldered for a long time or fizzled into nothing.
1) Explain the Authority's motivations for intervening at the chess tournament. What were their long and short term goals in this action, and what consequences did they anticipate or fail to anticipate?
2) Discuss Wili's insistence on aiding those trapped at the tenement house. Explain his plan to help them and why he is willing and able to follow through on this dangerous plan.
3) Describe how the events surrounding the chess tournament hostages escalate the conflict between the Tinkers and the Authority.
4) Cite evidence from the novel to explain how the plot may have progressed differently had either Wili or the Authority acted differently at either of these junctions.
Essay Topic 3
Della is a skilled operative and military leader for the Authority and initially appears willing to do anything to carry out her mission to capture Paul Hoehler. However, her sentiments change and more details about her personality are revealed; she eventually betrays the Authority in stop project Renaissance.
1) Describe Della's position within the Authority and make an assessment of her capabilities and loyalties.
2) Explain how Della uses Mike, and speculate as to whether or not Mike's morals affect her.
3) Discuss Della's progression as a character, particularly her distaste for killing, and her decision to betray the Authority. What are her reasons for this drastic action?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)