|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angie comes to visit with her new baby named _____________.
2. How does Sissy feel about the relationship with her mother?
3. What does Son say to Sissy before he passes out?
4. Why does Son not think Sissy should stay with June all day?
5. What does Rose tell Sissy happened to Sissy's real father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Son's girlfriend, Cecilia, die, and why does he feel such guilt about it?
2. What does Sissy think Son is trying to hide during the conversations with Thomas?
3. What does Thomas leave for Sissy before he goes?
4. How do Sissy and Son view Thomas' visit so differently?
5. How does Son's injury make Sissy even more resentful of her mother's distant behavior?
6. What does Rose do after the family moves into the farmhouse?
7. How have the driving lessons provides some hope for a better relationship between Sissy and Rose?
8. What circumstances prompt Rose's abrupt departure?
9. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
10. How do Sissy and Son meet Thomas Clinton, Sissy's biological father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leaving is an important theme in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Patchett choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)