|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Son get angry at Sissy for going to the river?
2. How much does Mother Corinne pay Rose to work in the kitchen?
3. Where do Sissy and Lorraine go to swim?
4. What has Sissy grown tired of?
5. What does Son say to Sissy before he passes out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstances prompt Rose's abrupt departure?
2. What does Rose do after the family moves into the farmhouse?
3. Who finds June dead and what is the turnout for her funeral?
4. What does Sissy think Son is trying to hide during the conversations with Thomas?
5. How does Son's injury make Sissy even more resentful of her mother's distant behavior?
6. What information does Sissy learn about her life while driving with Rose?
7. What problem does Sissy have now that she is about the same age as the girls coming to St. Elizabeth's?
8. How do Sissy and Son view Thomas' visit so differently?
9. What is the nature of the relationship between Sissy and Rose at this point in time?
10. When did Sissy learn that she was not adopted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Leaving is an important theme in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Son. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Son?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)