|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sissy's middle name?
2. Who arrives at St. Elizabeth's a week after Rose leaves?
3. What does Thomas show Sissy the next morning?
4. What does Rose leave for Sissy at the farmhouse?
5. What is the name of the girl waiting to see Mother Corinne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sissy think Son is trying to hide during the conversations with Thomas?
2. What does Thomas leave for Sissy before he goes?
3. What does Sissy realize about her mother when they are driving in the car?
4. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
5. Who is Lorraine and how does Sissy meet her?
6. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
7. How do Sissy and Son meet Thomas Clinton, Sissy's biological father?
8. What problem does Sissy have now that she is about the same age as the girls coming to St. Elizabeth's?
9. What does Rose do after the family moves into the farmhouse?
10. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Rose and Son. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why can Rose not bear any close attachments, especially her marriage to Son?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)