|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl in #137 ask Sissy?
2. Who helps Sissy get Son to the hospital?
3. Sissy comes home from school one day and sees a girl ________________ in front of St. Elizabeth's.
4. Why does Son not think Sissy should stay with June all day?
5. Who takes care of Cecilia during the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem does Sissy have now that she is about the same age as the girls coming to St. Elizabeth's?
2. What is the nature of the relationship between Sissy and Rose at this point in time?
3. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
4. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
5. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
6. What does Thomas leave for Sissy before he goes?
7. When did Sissy learn that she was not adopted?
8. Who finds June dead and what is the turnout for her funeral?
9. How do Sissy and Son meet Thomas Clinton, Sissy's biological father?
10. What is the reason that Rose stays so distant from Sissy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the mid-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Sissy. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sissy?
Essay Topic 3
Leaving is an important theme in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)