|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Son call Cecilia?
2. Angie comes to visit with her new baby named _____________.
3. What does Sissy suspect that Son is trying to hide from Thomas?
4. Why is Son afraid to meet Thomas Clinton?
5. What does Son learn about June's estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem does Sissy have now that she is about the same age as the girls coming to St. Elizabeth's?
2. When did Sissy learn that she was not adopted?
3. How have the driving lessons provides some hope for a better relationship between Sissy and Rose?
4. Who finds June dead and what is the turnout for her funeral?
5. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
6. How do Sissy and Son view Thomas' visit so differently?
7. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
8. Who is Lorraine and how does Sissy meet her?
9. What does Son say about being wounded and Cecilia's not wanting to marry him?
10. What information does Sissy learn about her life while driving with Rose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Patchett choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the mid-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)