|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rose tell Sissy happened to Sissy's real father?
2. Where does Thomas spend the night?
3. Who does Sissy think will become the next cook at St. Elizabeth's?
4. Who takes care of Cecilia during the day?
5. What does Thomas leave with Sissy before he goes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lorraine and how does Sissy meet her?
2. How do Sissy and Son view Thomas' visit so differently?
3. How does Son's injury make Sissy even more resentful of her mother's distant behavior?
4. When did Sissy learn that she was not adopted?
5. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
6. How have the driving lessons provides some hope for a better relationship between Sissy and Rose?
7. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
8. How does Son's girlfriend, Cecilia, die, and why does he feel such guilt about it?
9. What is the nature of the relationship between Sissy and Rose at this point in time?
10. What does Sissy think Son is trying to hide during the conversations with Thomas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rose. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rose?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)