|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rose open up and talk to Sissy?
2. How does Sissy compare to the girls in the home?
3. What does Rose offer to do for Sissy?
4. Who attends June's funeral service?
5. Who calls Son after June's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sissy think Son is trying to hide during the conversations with Thomas?
2. What does Sissy realize about her mother when they are driving in the car?
3. Who is Lorraine and how does Sissy meet her?
4. What does Son keep the same at St. Elizabeth's even though with his inheritance, he now has the authority to change?
5. How does Son's girlfriend, Cecilia, die, and why does he feel such guilt about it?
6. What circumstances prompt Rose's abrupt departure?
7. When did Sissy learn that she was not adopted?
8. What is the nature of the relationship between Sissy and Rose at this point in time?
9. What is the reason that Rose stays so distant from Sissy?
10. How does Son's injury make Sissy even more resentful of her mother's distant behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Son. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Son?
Essay Topic 2
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sissy or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with Rose? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Thomas. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Thomas?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)