|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Son and Thomas drink after dinner?
2. Why is Son afraid to meet Thomas Clinton?
3. What does Thomas leave with Sissy before he goes?
4. How much does Mother Corinne pay Rose to work in the kitchen?
5. How is Sissy different from the girls in the home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason that Rose stays so distant from Sissy?
2. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
3. What is the nature of the relationship between Sissy and Rose at this point in time?
4. What does Son keep the same at St. Elizabeth's even though with his inheritance, he now has the authority to change?
5. What circumstances prompt Rose's abrupt departure?
6. How does Son's girlfriend, Cecilia, die, and why does he feel such guilt about it?
7. How do Sissy and Son view Thomas' visit so differently?
8. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
9. What does Sissy realize about her mother when they are driving in the car?
10. What information does Sissy learn about her life while driving with Rose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Son. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Son?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Rose and Son. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why can Rose not bear any close attachments, especially her marriage to Son?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)