|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Son after June's funeral?
2. How did Son's girlfriend, Cecilia, die?
3. Where does Rose go after spending only one night in the farmhouse?
4. Who does Sissy think will become the next cook at St. Elizabeth's?
5. What does Sissy begin to notice as she grows older?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sissy and Son meet Thomas Clinton, Sissy's biological father?
2. How do Sissy and Son view Thomas' visit so differently?
3. What circumstances prompt Rose's abrupt departure?
4. What is the nature of the relationship between Sissy and Rose at this point in time?
5. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
6. What does Son say about being wounded and Cecilia's not wanting to marry him?
7. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
8. What information does Sissy learn about her life while driving with Rose?
9. What is the reason that Rose stays so distant from Sissy?
10. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Sissy. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sissy?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Thomas. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Thomas?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)