|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rose open up and talk to Sissy?
2. What is Sissy's middle name?
3. What does Thomas tell Sissy?
4. Who finds June dead in her house?
5. Where do Sissy and Lorraine go to swim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it never occur to Sissy that Thomas could be her biological father?
2. What does Sissy realize about her mother when they are driving in the car?
3. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
4. How do Sissy and Son view Thomas' visit so differently?
5. What information does Sissy learn about her life while driving with Rose?
6. What problem does Sissy have now that she is about the same age as the girls coming to St. Elizabeth's?
7. What does Thomas leave for Sissy before he goes?
8. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
9. What is the nature of the relationship between Sissy and Rose at this point in time?
10. What is the reason that Rose stays so distant from Sissy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sissy or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with Rose? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Rose and Son. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why can Rose not bear any close attachments, especially her marriage to Son?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the mid-20th century?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)