|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sissy now?
2. Who does Son dream about on the first night spent in the farmhouse?
3. How had Thomas traced Rose?
4. Who attends June's funeral service?
5. What does Rose leave for Sissy at the farmhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the driving lessons provides some hope for a better relationship between Sissy and Rose?
2. When did Sissy learn that she was not adopted?
3. What does Son say about being wounded and Cecilia's not wanting to marry him?
4. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
5. What does Rose do after the family moves into the farmhouse?
6. Why does it never occur to Sissy that Thomas could be her biological father?
7. What does Sissy realize about her mother when they are driving in the car?
8. What problem does Sissy have now that she is about the same age as the girls coming to St. Elizabeth's?
9. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
10. What is the nature of the relationship between Sissy and Rose at this point in time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the mid-20th century?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)