|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rose tell Sissy happened to Sissy's real father?
2. At dinner, Thomas answers all of Sissy's questions about __________.
3. Why does Rose cancel a driving lesson with Sissy?
4. What does Son learn about June's estate?
5. Who helps Sissy get Son to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Son say about being wounded and Cecilia's not wanting to marry him?
2. Who is Lorraine and how does Sissy meet her?
3. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
4. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
5. What does Son keep the same at St. Elizabeth's even though with his inheritance, he now has the authority to change?
6. How does Son's injury make Sissy even more resentful of her mother's distant behavior?
7. What does Sissy think Son is trying to hide during the conversations with Thomas?
8. How have the driving lessons provides some hope for a better relationship between Sissy and Rose?
9. What problem does Sissy have now that she is about the same age as the girls coming to St. Elizabeth's?
10. What is the reason that Rose stays so distant from Sissy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Patchett choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Thomas and Son. Both men have been a big part of Rose's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)