|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attends June's funeral service?
2. How does Lorraine attempt to cheer up Sissy?
3. What nickname does Son call Cecilia?
4. How did the person in #122 discover that June was dead?
5. What does Thomas tell Sissy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
2. When did Sissy learn that she was not adopted?
3. Who finds June dead and what is the turnout for her funeral?
4. Who is Lorraine and how does Sissy meet her?
5. What does Son keep the same at St. Elizabeth's even though with his inheritance, he now has the authority to change?
6. What does Rose do after the family moves into the farmhouse?
7. What problem does Sissy have now that she is about the same age as the girls coming to St. Elizabeth's?
8. What does Sissy think Son is trying to hide during the conversations with Thomas?
9. How does Son's girlfriend, Cecilia, die, and why does he feel such guilt about it?
10. What is the nature of the relationship between Sissy and Rose at this point in time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Thomas and Son. Both men have been a big part of Rose's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)