|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds June dead in her house?
2. Why did Cecilia not want to marry Son?
3. How had Thomas traced Rose?
4. How is Sissy different from the girls in the home?
5. How does Sissy feel about the relationship with her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who finds June dead and what is the turnout for her funeral?
2. What problem does Sissy have now that she is about the same age as the girls coming to St. Elizabeth's?
3. Who is Lorraine and how does Sissy meet her?
4. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
5. How do Sissy and Son meet Thomas Clinton, Sissy's biological father?
6. What is the nature of the relationship between Sissy and Rose at this point in time?
7. How does Son's injury make Sissy even more resentful of her mother's distant behavior?
8. How have the driving lessons provides some hope for a better relationship between Sissy and Rose?
9. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
10. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leaving is an important theme in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)