|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Cecilia not want to marry Son?
2. Who does Sissy think will become the next cook at St. Elizabeth's?
3. What does Sissy begin to notice as she grows older?
4. Why does Son get angry at Sissy for going to the river?
5. Where is Rose the morning after she receives the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Son's injury make Sissy even more resentful of her mother's distant behavior?
2. What does Thomas leave for Sissy before he goes?
3. What is the reason that Rose stays so distant from Sissy?
4. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
5. What does Son say about being wounded and Cecilia's not wanting to marry him?
6. Who finds June dead and what is the turnout for her funeral?
7. Who is Lorraine and how does Sissy meet her?
8. What does Sissy realize about her mother when they are driving in the car?
9. Why does it never occur to Sissy that Thomas could be her biological father?
10. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Leaving is an important theme in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)