|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rose leave for Sissy at the farmhouse?
2. Who takes care of Cecilia during the day?
3. Son tells Sissy that he and Thomas talked about ______________ while on the back porch.
4. Why did Cecilia not want to marry Son?
5. What does Sissy wrap around Son's head?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the mid-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Sissy. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sissy?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)