|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rose offer to do for Sissy?
2. Why does Son get angry at Sissy for going to the river?
3. What kind of parent is Rose?
4. Where does Rose open up and talk to Sissy?
5. How does Sissy compare to the girls in the home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
2. What does Son keep the same at St. Elizabeth's even though with his inheritance, he now has the authority to change?
3. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
4. What problem does Sissy have now that she is about the same age as the girls coming to St. Elizabeth's?
5. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
6. What does Sissy realize about her mother when they are driving in the car?
7. What does Son say about being wounded and Cecilia's not wanting to marry him?
8. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
9. Who finds June dead and what is the turnout for her funeral?
10. What does Rose do after the family moves into the farmhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sissy's life. Will Rose still be such a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with Son? Did she develop a relationship with Thomas? Explain your ideas.
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)