|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Son afraid to meet Thomas Clinton?
2. Who takes care of Cecilia during the day?
3. How did the person in #122 discover that June was dead?
4. What does Rose offer to do for Sissy?
5. How do the people in Habit view the Catholics?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Son's girlfriend, Cecilia, die, and why does he feel such guilt about it?
2. What does Thomas leave for Sissy before he goes?
3. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
4. Who finds June dead and what is the turnout for her funeral?
5. What problem does Sissy have now that she is about the same age as the girls coming to St. Elizabeth's?
6. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
7. What circumstances prompt Rose's abrupt departure?
8. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
9. What does Sissy think Son is trying to hide during the conversations with Thomas?
10. Who is Lorraine and how does Sissy meet her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sissy or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with Rose? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)