|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days after Cecilia's birth does Rose return to her kitchen job?
2. What is the car that Rose drove all the way from California?
3. What subject does Lorraine like to talk to Sissy about?
4. Where does Rose open up and talk to Sissy?
5. What does Rose reply when Sissy asked her why she moved out of the farmhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
2. How do Sissy and Son view Thomas' visit so differently?
3. How do Sissy and Son meet Thomas Clinton, Sissy's biological father?
4. What is the reason that Rose stays so distant from Sissy?
5. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
6. Who finds June dead and what is the turnout for her funeral?
7. How have the driving lessons provides some hope for a better relationship between Sissy and Rose?
8. What does Rose do after the family moves into the farmhouse?
9. What does Sissy realize about her mother when they are driving in the car?
10. What information does Sissy learn about her life while driving with Rose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rose. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rose?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Thomas and Son. Both men have been a big part of Rose's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)