|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Rose Clinton headed when she leaves California?
2. How long is the drive to Owensboro?
3. When did Cecilia say she would marry Son?
4. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose about her baby?
5. How is Rose different from the other girls at St. Elizabeth's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Son reveal about his feelings for Rose?
2. Describe Rose and the role that religion plays in her life.
3. How does Rose show disregard for Son's feelings especially regarding the name Cecilia?
4. What does Rose decide to do after the trauma of Beatrice's experience?
5. Why did Rose decide to marry Thomas Clinton?
6. What is the unspoken rule between Rose and Son?
7. What does Rose learn about what happens to a girl once she has had her baby and how does this add to the shame overshadowing the home?
8. What happens when Beatrice goes into labor after the holidays?
9. What gifts does Son give Rose for Christmas?
10. Who was the girl named Cecilia that Son got his tattoo for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Rose and Son. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why can Rose not bear any close attachments, especially her marriage to Son?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Son. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Son?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)