|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the supervisor of St. Elizabeth's?
2. Who does Rose marry?
3. Who of the following does NOT help the girl in #76 with her labor?
4. What does Son never ask Rose about?
5. How old is Rose when her father dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job assignment does Rose get at the home and how does she work to improve it?
2. Why does Rose feel so much anxiety being married to Thomas?
3. What did Rose think a sign from God would guide her to someday?
4. What role does June play in Rose's life?
5. What goal did Beatrice accomplish by having her babies at the home?
6. What does Son reveal about his feelings for Rose?
7. Why does Rose feel guilty when her mother gets married soon after Rose is married?
8. How do Angie and Rose differ in their feelings about being pregnant?
9. What does Rose decide to do after the trauma of Beatrice's experience?
10. Why did Rose decide to marry Thomas Clinton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Rose and Son. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why can Rose not bear any close attachments, especially her marriage to Son?
Essay Topic 2
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Leaving is an important theme in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)