Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose about her baby?
2. How old is Rose when her father dies?
3. What does Son have added to his tattoo?
4. What is Rose's husband's job?
5. Why does Beatrice plan to have her babies at the home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
2. What advice does Father O'Donnell give Rose when she learns she is pregnant?
3. How do Angie and Rose differ in their feelings about being pregnant?
4. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
5. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
6. Why does Rose feel guilty when her mother gets married soon after Rose is married?
7. How does the author show Rose's true selfish nature in this chapter?
8. What is surprising about Beatrice's delivery and what lie do the girls tell Mother Corinne?
9. How does Son's girlfriend, Cecilia, die, and why does he feel such guilt about it?
10. Where is Rose headed to and what drives her decision?
Create a character study of Thomas. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Thomas?
Explain the ongoing conflict between Rose and Son. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why can Rose not bear any close attachments, especially her marriage to Son?
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the mid-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)