|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The girl in #76 delivers _____________.
2. What did Rose's mother do after Rose got married?
3. Where does Rose get the inspiration for the baby's name?
4. What makes many of the girls especially homesick?
5. What does Rose send to her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does June play in Rose's life?
2. Why did Rose decide to marry Thomas Clinton?
3. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose and Angie about their unborn babies?
4. What does Son reveal about his feelings for Rose?
5. Describe Rose and the role that religion plays in her life.
6. How is Son's character contrasted with Rose's character?
7. What is the painful emotional experience Angie and Rose experience with holding the newborn baby?
8. Who was the girl named Cecilia that Son got his tattoo for?
9. How is Rose different from the other girls living at St. Elizabeth's?
10. What labor and delivery plan does Beatrice divulge to Angie and Rose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the mid-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sissy or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with Rose? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)