|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose about her baby?
2. How old is Rose when her father dies?
3. What does Son have added to his tattoo?
4. What is Rose's husband's job?
5. Why does Beatrice plan to have her babies at the home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
2. What advice does Father O'Donnell give Rose when she learns she is pregnant?
3. How do Angie and Rose differ in their feelings about being pregnant?
4. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
5. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
6. Why does Rose feel guilty when her mother gets married soon after Rose is married?
7. How does the author show Rose's true selfish nature in this chapter?
8. What is surprising about Beatrice's delivery and what lie do the girls tell Mother Corinne?
9. How does Son's girlfriend, Cecilia, die, and why does he feel such guilt about it?
10. Where is Rose headed to and what drives her decision?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,770 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)