Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose about her baby?
2. How old is Rose when her father dies?
3. What does Son have added to his tattoo?
4. What is Rose's husband's job?
5. Why does Beatrice plan to have her babies at the home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
2. What advice does Father O'Donnell give Rose when she learns she is pregnant?
3. How do Angie and Rose differ in their feelings about being pregnant?
4. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
5. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
6. Why does Rose feel guilty when her mother gets married soon after Rose is married?
7. How does the author show Rose's true selfish nature in this chapter?
8. What is surprising about Beatrice's delivery and what lie do the girls tell Mother Corinne?
9. How does Son's girlfriend, Cecilia, die, and why does he feel such guilt about it?
10. Where is Rose headed to and what drives her decision?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Thomas. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Thomas?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)