|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical ailment does Rose begin to experience after her wedding?
2. In what city does Rose grow up?
3. What do Rose and Son do?
4. From what state does Rose call her mother?
5. What plan does Son suggest to Rose?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rose show disregard for Son's feelings especially regarding the name Cecilia?
2. Who is Son?
3. Why do Rose and Angie not think they will have to help Beatrice with her plan?
4. How does the author show Rose's true selfish nature in this chapter?
5. What advice does Father O'Donnell give Rose when she learns she is pregnant?
6. What did Rose think a sign from God would guide her to someday?
7. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose and Angie about their unborn babies?
8. What goal did Beatrice accomplish by having her babies at the home?
9. What is the Hotel Louisa and how does it become a home for unwed mothers?
10. Who was the girl named Cecilia that Son got his tattoo for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Rose and Son. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why can Rose not bear any close attachments, especially her marriage to Son?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)