Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose about her baby?
2. How old is Rose when her father dies?
3. What does Son have added to his tattoo?
4. What is Rose's husband's job?
5. Why does Beatrice plan to have her babies at the home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
2. What advice does Father O'Donnell give Rose when she learns she is pregnant?
3. How do Angie and Rose differ in their feelings about being pregnant?
4. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
5. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
6. Why does Rose feel guilty when her mother gets married soon after Rose is married?
7. How does the author show Rose's true selfish nature in this chapter?
8. What is surprising about Beatrice's delivery and what lie do the girls tell Mother Corinne?
9. How does Son's girlfriend, Cecilia, die, and why does he feel such guilt about it?
10. Where is Rose headed to and what drives her decision?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Thomas. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Thomas?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Rose and Son. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why can Rose not bear any close attachments, especially her marriage to Son?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)