|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction of the woman at the gas station when Rose asks about St. Elizabeth's?
2. To what state is Rose headed after she leaves California?
3. Who of the following does NOT help the girl in #76 with her labor?
4. Where does Rose refuse to go while driving a car?
5. What does Rose do after the girl in #76 leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rose and the role that religion plays in her life.
2. What labor and delivery plan does Beatrice divulge to Angie and Rose?
3. Who was the girl named Cecilia that Son got his tattoo for?
4. What does Son reveal about his feelings for Rose?
5. How is Son's character contrasted with Rose's character?
6. Who is Son?
7. How does Son show that he is interested in Rose?
8. What does Rose learn about what happens to a girl once she has had her baby and how does this add to the shame overshadowing the home?
9. How does the author show Rose's true selfish nature in this chapter?
10. What did Rose think a sign from God would guide her to someday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sissy or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with Rose? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)