|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Beatrice's roommate?
2. How does Rose think she will know if she should get married or become a nun?
3. Where does Rose get the inspiration for the baby's name?
4. Who is the first person Rose meets at St. Elizabeth's?
5. Why did Son beat up Sam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rose different from the other girls living at St. Elizabeth's?
2. What goes through Rose's mind as she drives from California to Kentucky?
3. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose and Angie about their unborn babies?
4. Who is Son?
5. What does Son reveal about his feelings for Rose?
6. What does it indicate that Rose sends a postcard to her mother?
7. Who was the girl named Cecilia that Son got his tattoo for?
8. Why did Rose decide to marry Thomas Clinton?
9. Describe Rose and the role that religion plays in her life.
10. How do Angie and Rose differ in their feelings about being pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 3
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)