|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chore is Rose assigned to do?
2. How does Angie's baby die?
3. What lie does Rose tell Angie after the birth of her baby?
4. Why did Son's parents not care for Cecilia?
5. What does Son make for Rose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What labor and delivery plan does Beatrice divulge to Angie and Rose?
2. What goal did Beatrice accomplish by having her babies at the home?
3. Who is Son?
4. How does Rose show disregard for Son's feelings especially regarding the name Cecilia?
5. What is the painful emotional experience Angie and Rose experience with holding the newborn baby?
6. What is the Hotel Louisa and how does it become a home for unwed mothers?
7. How do Angie and Rose differ in their feelings about being pregnant?
8. What does it indicate that Rose sends a postcard to her mother?
9. What happens when Beatrice goes into labor after the holidays?
10. Why do Rose and Angie not think they will have to help Beatrice with her plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Thomas and Son. Both men have been a big part of Rose's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sissy or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with Rose? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)