|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Son make for Rose?
2. What does Rose tell Son?
3. What does Rose send to her mother?
4. How much time has passed since the last chapter?
5. What is Sam's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What place does driving a car have in Rose's life?
2. What does it indicate that Rose sends a postcard to her mother?
3. How does Son show that he is interested in Rose?
4. What advice does Father O'Donnell give Rose when she learns she is pregnant?
5. What is the Hotel Louisa and how does it become a home for unwed mothers?
6. What does Rose learn about what happens to a girl once she has had her baby and how does this add to the shame overshadowing the home?
7. How do Angie and Rose differ in their feelings about being pregnant?
8. Describe the amazing find on George Clatterbuck's property and how it saved his little daughter, June.
9. How is Son's character contrasted with Rose's character?
10. Where is Rose headed to and what drives her decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Leaving is an important theme in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)