|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sister Evangeline's special gift?
2. How long is the drive to Owensboro?
3. What do the St. Vincent de Paul Society women do for the girls?
4. What lie does Rose tell the supervisor at St. Elizabeth's?
5. Who is Rose's roommate at St. Elizabeth's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is surprising about Beatrice's delivery and what lie do the girls tell Mother Corinne?
2. What happens when Beatrice goes into labor after the holidays?
3. What labor and delivery plan does Beatrice divulge to Angie and Rose?
4. Who is Son?
5. What gifts does Son give Rose for Christmas?
6. What goal did Beatrice accomplish by having her babies at the home?
7. What does Rose decide to do after the trauma of Beatrice's experience?
8. What job assignment does Rose get at the home and how does she work to improve it?
9. Who was the girl named Cecilia that Son got his tattoo for?
10. What did Rose think a sign from God would guide her to someday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sissy or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with Rose? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)