|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Son never ask Rose about?
2. What is the name of the place where Rose is headed?
3. What happens to the structure when the spring dries up?
4. How long is the drive to Owensboro?
5. When did Cecilia say she would marry Son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the amazing find on George Clatterbuck's property and how it saved his little daughter, June.
2. What labor and delivery plan does Beatrice divulge to Angie and Rose?
3. Describe Rose and the role that religion plays in her life.
4. What is surprising about Beatrice's delivery and what lie do the girls tell Mother Corinne?
5. Who is Son?
6. What is the Hotel Louisa and how does it become a home for unwed mothers?
7. Who was the girl named Cecilia that Son got his tattoo for?
8. How does Son show that he is interested in Rose?
9. Why does Rose feel guilty when her mother gets married soon after Rose is married?
10. What was Rose's relationship with her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sissy's life. Will Rose still be such a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with Son? Did she develop a relationship with Thomas? Explain your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rose. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rose?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Thomas and Son. Both men have been a big part of Rose's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)