Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose about her baby?
2. How old is Rose when her father dies?
3. What does Son have added to his tattoo?
4. What is Rose's husband's job?
5. Why does Beatrice plan to have her babies at the home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Sissy and the girls at the home, one girl in particular?
2. What advice does Father O'Donnell give Rose when she learns she is pregnant?
3. How do Angie and Rose differ in their feelings about being pregnant?
4. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
5. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
6. Why does Rose feel guilty when her mother gets married soon after Rose is married?
7. How does the author show Rose's true selfish nature in this chapter?
8. What is surprising about Beatrice's delivery and what lie do the girls tell Mother Corinne?
9. How does Son's girlfriend, Cecilia, die, and why does he feel such guilt about it?
10. Where is Rose headed to and what drives her decision?
Essay Topic 1
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sissy's life. Will Rose still be such a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with Son? Did she develop a relationship with Thomas? Explain your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Thomas. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Thomas?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)