|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rose enjoy doing for hours when she is not working?
2. What do the girls tell Mother Corinne about the births?
3. How did Rose's father die?
4. What happens to a girl after she delivers her baby?
5. How is Rose different from the other girls at St. Elizabeth's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Rose headed to and what drives her decision?
2. What does Rose decide to do after the trauma of Beatrice's experience?
3. Describe the amazing find on George Clatterbuck's property and how it saved his little daughter, June.
4. What did Rose think a sign from God would guide her to someday?
5. What labor and delivery plan does Beatrice divulge to Angie and Rose?
6. Why did Rose decide to marry Thomas Clinton?
7. How does the author show Rose's true selfish nature in this chapter?
8. What is the Hotel Louisa and how does it become a home for unwed mothers?
9. Why do Rose and Angie not think they will have to help Beatrice with her plan?
10. What does Rose learn about what happens to a girl once she has had her baby and how does this add to the shame overshadowing the home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Thomas. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Thomas?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rose. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rose?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Patchett choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)