|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what body part is Son wounded during guard duty?
2. Who is Beatrice's roommate?
3. What emotionally wounds Rose and Angie one day?
4. What do Rose and her roommate do before dinner?
5. What makes Rose decide to leave her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does June play in Rose's life?
2. Who is Son?
3. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose and Angie about their unborn babies?
4. How does Rose show disregard for Son's feelings especially regarding the name Cecilia?
5. What labor and delivery plan does Beatrice divulge to Angie and Rose?
6. How does the author show Rose's true selfish nature in this chapter?
7. Describe the amazing find on George Clatterbuck's property and how it saved his little daughter, June.
8. What goal did Beatrice accomplish by having her babies at the home?
9. How does Son show that he is interested in Rose?
10. What is surprising about Beatrice's delivery and what lie do the girls tell Mother Corinne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Thomas. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Thomas?
Essay Topic 2
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Patchett choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)