|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rose refuse to drive in the city in #21?
2. What did Rose's mother do after Rose got married?
3. What do Rose and Son do?
4. Who is Lewis Nelson?
5. What does Rose really enjoy after her marriage to Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Rose's relationship with her mother?
2. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose and Angie about their unborn babies?
3. How is Son's character contrasted with Rose's character?
4. What happens when Beatrice goes into labor after the holidays?
5. What job assignment does Rose get at the home and how does she work to improve it?
6. What goes through Rose's mind as she drives from California to Kentucky?
7. What gifts does Son give Rose for Christmas?
8. Why does Rose feel so much anxiety being married to Thomas?
9. What does it indicate that Rose sends a postcard to her mother?
10. What labor and delivery plan does Beatrice divulge to Angie and Rose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sissy or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with Rose? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)