|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rose ease her physical ailment?
2. Who goes into labor right after the holidays?
3. How long is the drive to Owensboro?
4. What is Rose's husband's job?
5. Why does Rose refuse to drive in the city in #21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Father O'Donnell give Rose when she learns she is pregnant?
2. Who was the girl named Cecilia that Son got his tattoo for?
3. Where is Rose headed to and what drives her decision?
4. What does it indicate that Rose sends a postcard to her mother?
5. Why did Rose decide to marry Thomas Clinton?
6. How does the author show Rose's true selfish nature in this chapter?
7. What job assignment does Rose get at the home and how does she work to improve it?
8. What does Son reveal about his feelings for Rose?
9. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose and Angie about their unborn babies?
10. What is the Hotel Louisa and how does it become a home for unwed mothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leaving is an important theme in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Patchett choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Thomas and Son. Both men have been a big part of Rose's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)