|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Son eat dinner in the kitchen each night?
2. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose about her baby?
3. Who does Rose marry?
4. Of what disease is Nelson's wife cured after drinking the spring water?
5. How long is the drive to Owensboro?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the driving lessons provides some hope for a better relationship between Sissy and Rose?
2. What job assignment does Rose get at the home and how does she work to improve it?
3. What is surprising about Beatrice's delivery and what lie do the girls tell Mother Corinne?
4. What does Rose decide to do after the trauma of Beatrice's experience?
5. Why does Rose feel guilty when her mother gets married soon after Rose is married?
6. How does Son's injury make Sissy even more resentful of her mother's distant behavior?
7. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
8. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
9. What did Rose think a sign from God would guide her to someday?
10. How do Angie and Rose differ in their feelings about being pregnant?
Essay Topic 1
Leaving is an important theme in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,635 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)