|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Rose decide to leave her home?
2. How much time has passed since the last chapter?
3. What makes Rose uncomfortable now?
4. How does Rose ease her physical ailment?
5. What does Rose tell Son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rose feel so much anxiety being married to Thomas?
2. What does Rose decide to do after the trauma of Beatrice's experience?
3. What is surprising about Beatrice's delivery and what lie do the girls tell Mother Corinne?
4. What happens when Beatrice goes into labor after the holidays?
5. What does it indicate that Rose sends a postcard to her mother?
6. How do Angie and Rose differ in their feelings about being pregnant?
7. What labor and delivery plan does Beatrice divulge to Angie and Rose?
8. What goal did Beatrice accomplish by having her babies at the home?
9. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose and Angie about their unborn babies?
10. What is the unspoken rule between Rose and Son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Rose and Son. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why can Rose not bear any close attachments, especially her marriage to Son?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Patchett choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)