|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes many of the girls especially homesick?
2. What is the reaction of the woman at the gas station when Rose asks about St. Elizabeth's?
3. What did Rose's mother do after Rose got married?
4. The doctor thought that the girl in #76 was going to have ______________.
5. Where does Rose work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
2. Who finds June dead and what is the turnout for her funeral?
3. Who is Son?
4. How do Angie and Rose differ in their feelings about being pregnant?
5. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
6. Who was the girl named Cecilia that Son got his tattoo for?
7. Who is Lorraine and how does Sissy meet her?
8. What is surprising about Beatrice's delivery and what lie do the girls tell Mother Corinne?
9. How does Son show that he is interested in Rose?
10. What happens when Beatrice goes into labor after the holidays?
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Thomas. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Thomas?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the mid-20th century?
This section contains 1,673 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)