|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rose feel about her mother at this point?
2. How does Angie's baby die?
3. How long may the girls shop before returning to the home?
4. Who of the following does NOT help the girl in #76 with her labor?
5. What does Angie fantasize about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Son show that he is interested in Rose?
2. How is Rose different from the other girls living at St. Elizabeth's?
3. Why does Rose feel so much anxiety being married to Thomas?
4. Describe the amazing find on George Clatterbuck's property and how it saved his little daughter, June.
5. What advice does Father O'Donnell give Rose when she learns she is pregnant?
6. What goes through Rose's mind as she drives from California to Kentucky?
7. What does it indicate that Rose sends a postcard to her mother?
8. What does Son reveal about his feelings for Rose?
9. Why does Rose feel guilty when her mother gets married soon after Rose is married?
10. What is the unspoken rule between Rose and Son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sissy's life. Will Rose still be such a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with Son? Did she develop a relationship with Thomas? Explain your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)