|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the place where Rose is headed?
2. Who runs the kitchen at St. Elizabeth's?
3. How was Son injured?
4. Who is Beatrice's roommate?
5. What religion does Rose practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it never occur to Sissy that Thomas could be her biological father?
2. What advice does Father O'Donnell give Rose when she learns she is pregnant?
3. Who is Son?
4. What role does June play in Rose's life?
5. How does Son's injury make Sissy even more resentful of her mother's distant behavior?
6. What perspective does Sissy take on people leaving after Thomas is gone?
7. What labor and delivery plan does Beatrice divulge to Angie and Rose?
8. What is the painful emotional experience Angie and Rose experience with holding the newborn baby?
9. Why is Son concerned about Rose and Sissy after Sissy's birth?
10. What problem does Sissy have now that she is about the same age as the girls coming to St. Elizabeth's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Thomas and Son. Both men have been a big part of Rose's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of lying. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience lying and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,585 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)