|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rose visit when she learns she is pregnant?
2. What do the St. Vincent de Paul Society women do for the girls?
3. What is Rose's husband's job?
4. Who of the following does NOT help the girl in #76 with her labor?
5. Who goes into labor right after the holidays?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Father O'Donnell give Rose when she learns she is pregnant?
2. Why does Rose feel so much anxiety being married to Thomas?
3. What does Son reveal about his feelings for Rose?
4. What is surprising about Beatrice's delivery and what lie do the girls tell Mother Corinne?
5. Why does Rose feel guilty when her mother gets married soon after Rose is married?
6. What does Sister Evangeline tell Rose and Angie about their unborn babies?
7. What is the painful emotional experience Angie and Rose experience with holding the newborn baby?
8. What does Rose decide to do after the trauma of Beatrice's experience?
9. Why did Rose decide to marry Thomas Clinton?
10. What happens when Beatrice goes into labor after the holidays?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the mid-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)