|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotionally wounds Rose and Angie one day?
2. Where does Rose work?
3. What is the structure eventually named?
4. What is Sam's last name?
5. What do Rose and her roommate do before dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What goes through Rose's mind as she drives from California to Kentucky?
2. What does Thomas leave for Sissy before he goes?
3. What happens when Beatrice goes into labor after the holidays?
4. Why does Rose feel guilty when her mother gets married soon after Rose is married?
5. Who finds June dead and what is the turnout for her funeral?
6. What does Sissy realize about her mother when they are driving in the car?
7. How does Rose show disregard for Son's feelings especially regarding the name Cecilia?
8. Who is the sole beneficiary of June's estate?
9. Where is Rose headed to and what drives her decision?
10. What role does June play in Rose's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in THE PATRON SAINT OF LIARS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sissy or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with Rose? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,616 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)