|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what manner did Lyndon serve toward superiors?
2. What was the name of Charles Marsh's country estate?
3. A criticism of Lyndon emerged in that he lacked ______________.
4. Which company was the principal source of funds for Lyndon's run for Congress in 1941 and violated IRS contribution rules?
5. How many aides did Lyndon have while working for Congressman Klerberg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lyndon perceived as being insincere?
2. What undertaking did Lyndon initiate to show appreciation while serving on the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee?
3. Whose death cleared an opening for Lyndon?
4. How did Lyndon leverage his position as Congressman Klerberg's secretary?
5. Even though the New Deal helped people in the Texas Hill Country, they still had problems. Name two examples of the challenges faced by people in this time.
6. Why was handling the mail such an important task for Lyndon while serving as Klerberg's secretary?
7. Who was Charles Marsh and what was Lyndon's professional relationship with him?
8. What was meant by a "finagle" related to campaign fundraising?
9. What particular ability did Lyndon have when it came to charming people?
10. What campaign promise was Lyndon forced to uphold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Paine wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls." Despite being written during the times of the Revolutionary War, the statement still held true for those enduring the Great Depression. Explain how the times tried the souls of Franklin D. Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson and others in the government. How did the times try the souls of American citizens? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of men in the early 20th century when Johnson and his colleagues were coming of age. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the 1930s and why the time was right for Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal. What were the basic tenets of the New Deal? Why was Lyndon opposed to the New Deal? Why did he grudgingly support the New Deal? Explain.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)