|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what statewide agency was the person in #145 associated?
2. What position did Sam Rayburn hold in Washington?
3. It was widely understood that Lyndon had no ______________ of his own.
4. Who was an important figure in the building of the dam?
5. Who was the older man who was especially vulnerable to Lyndon's charming ways?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Lyndon's position on FDR's New Deal?
2. How did FDR help to save Lyndon's political career regarding some inappropriate campaign funds issues?
3. What campaign promise was Lyndon forced to uphold?
4. How did Lyndon leverage his position as Congressman Klerberg's secretary?
5. How did Lyndon court important people to help him politically?
6. Why was Alice Glass interested in Lyndon?
7. Why was Lyndon perceived as being insincere?
8. What undertaking did Lyndon initiate to show appreciation while serving on the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee?
9. Although Lyndon wrote letters in the DCCC trying to show humility, what was the underlying purpose of the missives?
10. For what was Sam Rayburn best know among his colleagues and constituents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sam Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the rural Texas in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in Rebekah and later on, Lady Bird? Explain.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)