|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What challenge did Lyndon have when trying to attain the Congressional seat?
2. Who is the assistant that Lyndon gets appointed to a permanent position in a statewide agency?
3. How did Lyndon come to be known?
4. What position did Sam Rayburn hold in Washington?
5. From which region of Texas did Lyndon garner the most support?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Little Congress and how did Lyndon revive it?
2. What was Longlea and who presided over the estate?
3. How did the Buchanan Dam project help Lyndon gain needed publicity?
4. What problem did Lyndon face when he wanted to assume the Senate seat of the deceased Texas Senarot, Morris Sheppard?
5. How did FDR help to save Lyndon's political career regarding some inappropriate campaign funds issues?
6. Even though the New Deal helped people in the Texas Hill Country, they still had problems. Name two examples of the challenges faced by people in this time.
7. Who was Charles Marsh and what was Lyndon's professional relationship with him?
8. Why was Lyndon perceived as being insincere?
9. What was Lyndon's level of support of the New Deal after he got out of the military?
10. Who was the "lost generation" and how did Eleanor Roosevelt champion their cause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it THE PATH TO POWER? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? How did Lyndon measure up to these people? What was Lyndon's personal code? Or did he not have one? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Lyndon Johnson during the time period covered in THE PATH TO POWER. What were his ultimate plans for his life? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)