|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the assistant that Lyndon gets appointed to a permanent position in a statewide agency?
2. What organization did Mrs. Roosevelt help to establish for the "lost generation"?
3. What demeanor did Lyndon continue to exhibit to those under him?
4. Lyndon made progress by befriending people with offices in the White House and _________________.
5. How many aides did Lyndon have while working for Congressman Klerberg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What particular ability did Lyndon have when it came to charming people?
2. Why was Lyndon perceived as being insincere?
3. How did Lyndon get elected to Congress with only three percent of the votes?
4. How did the Buchanan Dam project help Lyndon gain needed publicity?
5. For what was Sam Rayburn best know among his colleagues and constituents?
6. Even though the New Deal helped people in the Texas Hill Country, they still had problems. Name two examples of the challenges faced by people in this time.
7. How did Lyndon leverage his position as Congressman Klerberg's secretary?
8. Why was handling the mail such an important task for Lyndon while serving as Klerberg's secretary?
9. Who was Charles Marsh and what was Lyndon's professional relationship with him?
10. What was Lyndon's position on FDR's New Deal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural Texas in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in Rebekah and later on, Lady Bird? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Lady Bird Johnson. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
From what you can glean from the author's descriptions, create a brief character study of Lyndon's father, Sam. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What created the friction between him and Lyndon? How did he reconcile with him? What emotional damage was done to the relationship?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)