|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The topic of Chapter 32 is _______________.
2. What environmental issue did Lyndon focus on in his Congressional run?
3. Who especially hated FDR in Texas?
4. How did Lyndon come to be known?
5. What did FDR refuse to do with the items that Lyndon sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did FDR help to save Lyndon's political career regarding some inappropriate campaign funds issues?
2. What was meant by a "finagle" related to campaign fundraising?
3. What campaign promise was Lyndon forced to uphold?
4. How did the Buchanan Dam project help Lyndon gain needed publicity?
5. What were some of Sam Rayburn's physical and personality traits?
6. Even though the New Deal helped people in the Texas Hill Country, they still had problems. Name two examples of the challenges faced by people in this time.
7. Who was Charles Marsh and what was Lyndon's professional relationship with him?
8. Although Lyndon wrote letters in the DCCC trying to show humility, what was the underlying purpose of the missives?
9. How did Lyndon court important people to help him politically?
10. How was Lyndon able to leverage his influence in the NYA?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? How did Lyndon measure up to these people? What was Lyndon's personal code? Or did he not have one? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ambition takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of Lyndon's ambitions? Was he consumed with winning and getting ahead? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)