|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what statewide agency was the person in #145 associated?
2. It was widely understood that Lyndon had no ______________ of his own.
3. To Lyndon, knowing important people meant those having money or _______________ or both.
4. On what committee did Lyndon get a position?
5. What was John Nance Garner's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of Sam Rayburn's physical and personality traits?
2. What was Lyndon's position on FDR's New Deal?
3. How did Lyndon court important people to help him politically?
4. Whose death cleared an opening for Lyndon?
5. What was Longlea and who presided over the estate?
6. Why was handling the mail such an important task for Lyndon while serving as Klerberg's secretary?
7. Even though the New Deal helped people in the Texas Hill Country, they still had problems. Name two examples of the challenges faced by people in this time.
8. How did Lyndon make further career inroads by establishing friendships with people in Washington?
9. How was Lyndon able to leverage his influence in the NYA?
10. Why was Lyndon perceived as being insincere?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sam Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Ambition takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of Lyndon's ambitions? Was he consumed with winning and getting ahead? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Lyndon Johnson was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Lyndon's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)