|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A criticism of Lyndon emerged in that he lacked ______________.
2. From which region of Texas did Lyndon garner the most support?
3. The dam built in the Hill Country of Texas was built to control flooding along what river?
4. How could Sam Rayburn's personality best be described?
5. What organization within the government did Lyndon revitalize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem did Lyndon face when he wanted to assume the Senate seat of the deceased Texas Senarot, Morris Sheppard?
2. Who were Cactus Jack and Sam Rayburn and why could Lyndon make them bristle?
3. How did Lyndon leverage his position as Congressman Klerberg's secretary?
4. How was Lyndon able to leverage his influence in the NYA?
5. What were some of Sam Rayburn's physical and personality traits?
6. Although Lyndon wrote letters in the DCCC trying to show humility, what was the underlying purpose of the missives?
7. What campaign promise was Lyndon forced to uphold?
8. How did FDR help to save Lyndon's political career regarding some inappropriate campaign funds issues?
9. How did the Buchanan Dam project help Lyndon gain needed publicity?
10. Why was Lyndon perceived as being insincere?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Lady Bird Johnson. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
From what you can glean from the author's descriptions, create a brief character study of Lyndon's father, Sam. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What created the friction between him and Lyndon? How did he reconcile with him? What emotional damage was done to the relationship?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)