|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which business group wanted tax benefits and protection from regulation?
2. Who won the Senate seat coveted by Lyndon?
3. It was widely understood that Lyndon had no ______________ of his own.
4. From which region of Texas did Lyndon garner the most support?
5. What was a decent middle class salary in the 1940s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the 1930s and why the time was right for Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal. What were the basic tenets of the New Deal? Why was Lyndon opposed to the New Deal? Why did he grudgingly support the New Deal? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the rural Texas in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in Rebekah and later on, Lady Bird? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)