|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town did Lyndon work?
2. Profits dropped so low for the group in #27 that they could not afford to buy _____________.
3. For what physical quality are the Bunton men known?
4. What was part of the Sam Johnson identity?
5. What happened when the Texas Hill Country was destroyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did John Wheeler Bunton settle and how did he and his wife struggle to keep their land?
2. What does the author say were the characteristics of ranchers in the Texas Hill Country?
3. What was one of Sam Johnson's characteristics while working in the Texas legislature?
4. Why was Lyndon made principal of the school where he taught?
5. What noticeable trait of Sam's did little Lyndon pick up during the time of the family's setback?
6. What major obstacle did Lyndon face in Cotulla and what was his greatest achievement?
7. What was the nature of Lyndon's father, Sam's, political leanings?
8. Why had neither the Spanish nor the Mexicans developed the Texas Hill Country?
9. In the Introduction, what does the author say about Lyndon Johnson's professional relationship with a man who could change his financial future?
10. What quirky behavior did little Lyndon exhibit during this challenging time for his parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Lyndon Johnson during the time period covered in THE PATH TO POWER. What were his ultimate plans for his life? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the 1930s and why the time was right for Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal. What were the basic tenets of the New Deal? Why was Lyndon opposed to the New Deal? Why did he grudgingly support the New Deal? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)