|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality of his father's did Lyndon imitate?
2. Why did few Texans get an education?
3. In what did Lyndon show interest as a boy?
4. What was Sam Johnson if favor of raising taxes on?
5. Who was Lyndon's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had neither the Spanish nor the Mexicans developed the Texas Hill Country?
2. Why was Lyndon made principal of the school where he taught?
3. What obstacles did Lyndon's mother, Rebekah, have in living in rural Texas?
4. What was the significance of the town of Cotulla in Lyndon's life?
5. What does the author say were the characteristics of ranchers in the Texas Hill Country?
6. How did little Lyndon respond to the downturn in his parents' financial situation?
7. What was one of Sam Johnson's characteristics while working in the Texas legislature?
8. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 9--The Rich Man's Daughter?
9. What was Sam Johnson's position on taxing the sulphur mines?
10. What was one of Sam Johnson's greatest qualities and what was his greatest legislative success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the rural Texas in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in Rebekah and later on, Lady Bird? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
According to the author, even before Lyndon was a player on the national and international stages, he was known to be a man of questionable integrity and deceit. Cite some examples in Johnson's life that prove this statement. What is Caro's overall perception of Johnson's character?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)