|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lyndon's father's profession?
2. What lessons did Lyndon's mother teach to other people?
3. How long after the animals in #20 were brought to the Texas Hill Country did the landscape deteriorate?
4. What shone through the ruined landscape of the Texas Hill Country?
5. In what town did Lyndon work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Lyndon wrote letters in the DCCC trying to show humility, what was the underlying purpose of the missives?
2. What does the author say were the characteristics of ranchers in the Texas Hill Country?
3. What obstacles did Lyndon's mother, Rebekah, have in living in rural Texas?
4. How was Lyndon able to leverage his influence in the NYA?
5. Why was Alice Glass interested in Lyndon?
6. What was the significance of the town of Cotulla in Lyndon's life?
7. What was the nature of Lyndon's father, Sam's, political leanings?
8. What was the purpose for the building of the Buchanan Dam?
9. What was the Little Congress and how did Lyndon revive it?
10. What happened after the Bunton Johnsons brought cattle to the Texas Hill Country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Rebekah Johnson. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it THE PATH TO POWER? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 1,749 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)