|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lyndon's father's name?
2. In what did Lyndon show interest as a boy?
3. What color eyes did the Buntons have?
4. Where is Sam Johnson working in Chapter 6?
5. According to the author, ambition and big ideas can lead to ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the challenges of the farmers in the Texas Hill Country?
2. What unusual habit did the young Lyndon have and how did it involve farm hands and others associated with the family?
3. What happened after the Bunton Johnsons brought cattle to the Texas Hill Country?
4. What major obstacle did Lyndon face in Cotulla and what was his greatest achievement?
5. What was the agenda of the People's Party?
6. What was the ethnic issue in education in Texas?
7. Sam Johnson was able to stand his ground on a position and one case in particular was to his credit. What was the nature of the case of optometrists in Texas?
8. What are the physical characteristics of the Bunton side of Lyndon's ancestry?
9. What quirky behavior did little Lyndon exhibit during this challenging time for his parents?
10. What was one of Sam Johnson's characteristics while working in the Texas legislature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact did Lyndon's estranged relationship with his father have on Lyndon's life? What emotional wounds did Lyndon suffer? How did the strained relationship with his father affect Lyndon's relationships with other people? State your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Rebekah Johnson. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the 1930s and why the time was right for Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal. What were the basic tenets of the New Deal? Why was Lyndon opposed to the New Deal? Why did he grudgingly support the New Deal? Explain.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)