|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Sam Ealy Johnson and Eliza Bunton Johnson have?
2. What color eyes did the Buntons have?
3. Lyndon was adept at _______________.
4. Where is Sam Johnson working in Chapter 6?
5. In the ten years from 1837-1847, the population of the Texas Hill Country grew from 40,000 to _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What unusual habit did the young Lyndon have and how did it involve farm hands and others associated with the family?
2. What was the nature of Lyndon's father, Sam's, political leanings?
3. In addition to the People's Party, what other two political groups were eventually absorbed into the Democratic Party?
4. What quirky behavior did little Lyndon exhibit during this challenging time for his parents?
5. In the Introduction, what does the author say about Lyndon Johnson's professional relationship with a man who could change his financial future?
6. What were the personality characteristics of the Buntons?
7. What obstacles did Lyndon's mother, Rebekah, have in living in rural Texas?
8. What was the agenda of the People's Party?
9. What professions did Lyndon's father, Sam, have over the years?
10. Where did John Wheeler Bunton settle and how did he and his wife struggle to keep their land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cultural climate in America in the 1930s and why the time was right for Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal. What were the basic tenets of the New Deal? Why was Lyndon opposed to the New Deal? Why did he grudgingly support the New Deal? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
According to the author, even before Lyndon was a player on the national and international stages, he was known to be a man of questionable integrity and deceit. Cite some examples in Johnson's life that prove this statement. What is Caro's overall perception of Johnson's character?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the rural Texas in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in Rebekah and later on, Lady Bird? Explain.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)