|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What utility is the topic in Chapter 27, "The Sad Irons"?
2. Why did Lyndon feel it necessary to show appreciation to powerful officials?
(a) To validate positions.
(b) To show off.
(c) To show humility.
(d) To secure relationships.
3. On what committee did Lyndon get a position?
(a) The Committee for Veterans of Foreign Wars.
(b) Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.
(c) New Deal Committee.
(d) Environmental Protection Committee.
4. How many aides did Lyndon have while working for Congressman Klerberg?
5. What district in Texas did Lyndon represent?
6. What was Lyndon's first main task while working for Congressman Klerberg?
(a) Scheduling constituent meetings.
(b) Writing news releases.
(c) Handling the mail.
(d) Making travel arrangements.
7. What position did Sam Rayburn hold in Washington?
(a) Vice President.
(b) Speaker of the House.
(c) Attorney General.
(d) Treasury Secretary.
8. Which company was the principal source of funds for Lyndon's run for Congress in 1941 and violated IRS contribution rules?
(b) Brown & Root.
(c) General Electric.
9. Whose death left an open Congressional seat desired by Lyndon?
(a) Edward Stanton.
(b) Alfred Morton.
(c) William Buckley.
(d) James Buchanan.
10. What was the intent of the letters Lyndon wrote during his time on the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee?
(a) Show appreciation.
(b) Ask for votes.
(c) Raise funds.
(d) Support the President.
11. People came to realize that Sam Rayburn was _________________.
(b) not for sale.
(c) a liar.
(d) a coward.
12. Whose support did Lyndon garner with his association with this project?
13. At what age did Lyndon's father, Sam, die?
14. Who won the Senate seat coveted by Lyndon?
(a) "Pappy" O'Daniel.
(b) Albert Hall.
(c) Frederick Clark.
(d) Willie Starks.
15. What was it called when a campaign contributor siphoned money from more than one of his businesses to make a contribution?
(a) A boondoggle.
(b) Standard practice.
(c) A tax write off.
(d) A finagle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first name of the dam in #117?
2. What element of Sam Rayburn's personality was well known?
3. What percentage of his district voted for Lyndon in the Congressional election?
4. Why was Sam Rayburn's support important for Lyndon?
5. What was a decent middle class salary in the 1940s?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)