|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What utility is the topic in Chapter 27, "The Sad Irons"?
2. For how many years had the person in #169 held the Senate seat?
(a) 33 years.
(b) 41 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 27 years.
3. What was Lyndon's first main task while working for Congressman Klerberg?
(a) Handling the mail.
(b) Making travel arrangements.
(c) Writing news releases.
(d) Scheduling constituent meetings.
4. Which business group wanted tax benefits and protection from regulation?
(a) Steel industry.
5. How did Lyndon make political inroads due to an untimely death of a colleague?
(a) He helped the colleague's family.
(b) He knew the colleague's assistant well.
(c) He completed the colleague's important work.
(d) He delivered the eulogy.
6. How many aides did Lyndon have while working for Congressman Klerberg?
7. What organization did Mrs. Roosevelt help to establish for the "lost generation"?
(a) The Social Security Administration.
(b) The New Deal.
(c) The National Endowment for the Arts.
(d) The National Youth Administration.
8. How did Lyndon get to meet FDR?
(a) By sponsoring New Deal initiatives.
(b) By being on the Committee to Re-Elect the President.
(c) By heading up the Democratic National Convention.
(d) By sending a complimentary letter.
9. What was Sam Rayburn's physical build?
(a) Big and tall.
(c) Lean and lanky.
(d) Short and stocky.
10. What was Lyndon's behavioral trait for which he was famous in government?
(a) Being loyal to a fault.
(b) Being innovative.
(c) Being shifty.
(d) Being a follower.
11. Who were the members of the "lost generation"?
(a) The children of The New Deal.
(b) The men returning from World War I.
(c) Young adults who left school but had no jobs to go to.
(d) Poets and artists who lived off benefactors.
12. Lyndon was always working to __________________.
(a) improve environmental protection efforts.
(b) further the cause of poor people.
(c) lay groundwork for future interactions.
(d) secure deals with bankers.
13. Who did the woman in #136 invite to Longlea as house guests to prove a point?
(a) CCC workers.
(c) Refugee European Jews.
(d) Migrant workers.
14. What organization within the government did Lyndon revitalize?
(a) The New Deal.
(b) Social Security Administration.
(c) Little Congress.
(d) The House of Representatives.
15. Why did Lyndon feel it necessary to show appreciation to powerful officials?
(a) To validate positions.
(b) To secure relationships.
(c) To show humility.
(d) To show off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did Lyndon accept in 1940?
2. Which Senior Senator from Texas died, freeing up a seat Lyndon coveted?
3. Whose death left an open Congressional seat desired by Lyndon?
4. On what committee did Lyndon get a position?
5. In what manner did Lyndon serve toward superiors?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)