|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the key to the lock enterprise?
2. John Stevens feels the Panama Canal can be completed by January 1914, but doubts a sea- level version can be prior to what year?
3. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
4. George W. Goethals allows employees to air grievances where?
5. Who outmaneuvers the Panamanians into giving the U.S. greater rights in the Canal Zone than it wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
2. What are some of the critical points of the Hay- Herran Treaty ratified by the Senate 73-5 on March 17, 1903?
3. Why is the initial Chief Engineer, John F. Wallace, let go?
4. What is historically significant for Panama about January 15, 1904?
5. Which of the three presidents that the Panama Canal is built under is most crucial to it?
6. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
7. What is traffic like following opening of the canal?
8. What is the focus of attention from 1907-1913?
9. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
10. What is it about May 4, 1904, that makes it a significant date in the history of the Canal Zone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sentiment as to where to put an American canal is overwhelmingly one-sided favoring Nicaragua, until Phillippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell emerge on behalf of the "Panama Lobby." Comparing and contrasting the two, how are they similar and how are they different? Do they work well together, or function better separately? Who is the most effective in getting things accomplished? Do they work in a straightforward fashion toward legitimately achieving their goals or not? What is the approach each takes toward accomplishing a task?
Essay Topic 2
The last chief engineer is George Washington Goethals. He is a model officer of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Does he operate under a military regime approach? Does he use the methods of either John Stevens or John Wallace? What are some of the techniques he utilized to achieve success with the project itself? What approaches did he take for success with those on his payroll?
Essay Topic 3
Ferdinand de Lesseps begins publishing his "Bullet in du Canal Interocyanique" and George W. Goethals his "Canal Record. How are they alike? How do they differ? Are they merely propaganda organs, or is there some legitimacy to them? How effective is each?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)