|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
2. Social life in the Canal Zone during George W. Goethals' era is best described how?
3. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
4. For American tourists crowding trains, as impressive as they find the Gatun Dam, locks, and Culebra Cut, what gives them the greatest patriotic pride?
5. When William Howard Taft succeeds Theodore Roosevelt in 1909, the canal project is how far completed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George Washington Goethals do after the canal is completed?
2. Rather than shutting the project down, what are some of the thing implemented by the authoritative new chairman of the ICC, Theodore Perry Shonts?
3. What is Panama's social structure like?
4. What is traffic like following opening of the canal?
5. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
6. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
7. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
8. What is historically significant for Panama about January 15, 1904?
9. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
10. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is social life like in the Canal Zone in the latter half of the construction period? Has the war on pestilence and disease been effective? What is offered to prompt individuals to come to Panama, or bring their families? What is the cost of living in Panama like? What social events are available to employees after work hours?
Essay Topic 2
The last chief engineer is George Washington Goethals. He is a model officer of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Does he operate under a military regime approach? Does he use the methods of either John Stevens or John Wallace? What are some of the techniques he utilized to achieve success with the project itself? What approaches did he take for success with those on his payroll?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. William Crawford Gorgas is the U.S. Army's foremost expert on tropical diseases when he is assigned to Panama. Where does he receive his training and his experience? From whom does he gain cooperation at Panama, and from whom does he encounter opposition? What are his biggest medical battles? What sorts of problems and why? What successes does he achieve in Panama? How long is he assigned to Panama?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)