|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Josy Vincente Concha resigns in nervous exhaustion, he is replaced by career diplomat Tomas Herran, fluent in English and popular in Washington, and Herran proves to be what?
2. Who pays Colombia $25 million in indemnities in 1925?
3. John F. Wallace has a job offer he cannot say "no" to, but William H. Taft feels betrayed as he tailored the new ICC to his wishes, and confronts him to dress him down and demand a resignation where?
4. William Crawford Gorgas gathers data on how weather and topography affect Anopheles mosquitoes that transmit malarial parasite to humans, and discovers what?
5. A movement begins in Panama in July 1903, as 25-26 gather to talk revolution, including which leaders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
2. How is it the U.S. must come to grips with Article 35 of the Bidack Treaty in regard to Panama?
3. On what issue in the Canal Zone does Theodore Roosevelt place his utmost priority?
4. Which of the three presidents that the Panama Canal is built under is most crucial to it?
5. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
6. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
7. What takes place in early 1907 that seals John Stevens' fate as chief engineer?
8. What is historically significant for Panama about January 15, 1904?
9. Why is the initial Chief Engineer, John F. Wallace, let go?
10. What is the focus of attention from 1907-1913?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Panama Canal is built under three American presidents: Theodore Roosevelt, William H. Taft, and Woodrow Wilson. Who can be given the most credit for U.S. success there? What actions or efforts, before, during, or after their time in office, substantiate your position in selecting one over the other two?
Essay Topic 2
No scandal in France surrounding the liquidation of Compagnie Universelle reportedly would have taken place except for Ydouard Drumont's publication of "La France Juive" in 1886. What is it about these articles that caused such a commotion? Are the allegations therein true? Why is there no previous complaint? Is there any connection between his writings and his imprisonment for libel?
Essay Topic 3
The cream of France's engineering programs in the 19th century reportedly looks down their noses at Americans in that field. Yet they do not adapt well in Panama as they did in Egypt ten years earlier. Why is this so? Why are they unable to habituate as the Americans eventually will later? Is it fair to attribute their difficulty to acclimatize to snobbishness as David McCullough suggests?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)