|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A movement begins in Panama in July 1903, as 25-26 gather to talk revolution, including which leaders?
2. Dr. William Henry Welch of Johns Hopkins Medical School convinces Theodore Roosevelt to assign a sanitary officer. Why is Welch's former student, William Crawford Gorgas, chosen?
3. "The Man with the Sun in His Eyes," the subtitle for Chapter 18, refers to Theodore Roosevelt's 1906 visit to the isthmus, where he takes everything in how?
4. Lieutenant Colonel William Crawford Gorgas, despite opposition from bureaucrats, maintains the biggest challenge is what?
5. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
2. What is traffic like following opening of the canal?
3. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
4. Which of the three presidents that the Panama Canal is built under is most crucial to it?
5. What is occurring during the initial stage of U.S. efforts in Panama that culminates in a 1905 event?
6. How is it the U.S. must come to grips with Article 35 of the Bidack Treaty in regard to Panama?
7. What is the focus of attention from 1907-1913?
8. What is historically significant for Panama about January 15, 1904?
9. What is the social life like in Panama for canal workers during Goethals' time?
10. What does George Washington Goethals do after the canal is completed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ferdinand de Lesseps was successful in getting the Suez Canal completed in ten years. Why was Compagnie Universelle attempt in the Panama a failure? What factors that he has control over does he fail to address? What matters are out of his hands? Hindsight is 20/20, but what should he have done differently? Was there any way for de Lesseps to pull Panama off successfully?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. William Crawford Gorgas is the U.S. Army's foremost expert on tropical diseases when he is assigned to Panama. Where does he receive his training and his experience? From whom does he gain cooperation at Panama, and from whom does he encounter opposition? What are his biggest medical battles? What sorts of problems and why? What successes does he achieve in Panama? How long is he assigned to Panama?
Essay Topic 3
You have been invited to attend the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris for a week. Things get a little heated. But you are maintaining a personal log that includes where you go, what you do, activities at the conference, and so on. Make a paper consisting of five to six log entries.
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)