|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
2. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
3. Who lives to read about the opening of the Panama Canal in their quiet retirements?
4. Theodore Roosevelt's ship arrives in Panama a day early, so as not to ruin John Steven's schedule, the Presidential party agrees to stay on board overnight, but in the morning the welcoming party finds what?
5. Marie Gorgas provides the best impressions of the American era in Panama, noting Colon is "unspeakably dirty" and depressing and the jungle is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George Washington Goethals do after the canal is completed?
2. On what issue in the Canal Zone does Theodore Roosevelt place his utmost priority?
3. What is historically significant for Panama about January 15, 1904?
4. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
5. What is the focus of attention from 1907-1913?
6. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
7. Which of the three presidents that the Panama Canal is built under is most crucial to it?
8. What is Panama's social structure like?
9. What is occurring during the initial stage of U.S. efforts in Panama that culminates in a 1905 event?
10. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Things are not going well and Phillippe Banau-Varilla offers a solution to get out that David McCullough refers to as "ingenious." It brings tolls in and, more importantly, affords Ferdinand de Lesseps a means of honorably extracting himself. Why does he not take it? What is wrong with the suggestion? Does de Lesseps not have the authority he reflects?
Essay Topic 2
Ferdinand de Lesseps begins publishing his "Bullet in du Canal Interocyanique" and George W. Goethals his "Canal Record. How are they alike? How do they differ? Are they merely propaganda organs, or is there some legitimacy to them? How effective is each?
Essay Topic 3
No scandal in France surrounding the liquidation of Compagnie Universelle reportedly would have taken place except for Ydouard Drumont's publication of "La France Juive" in 1886. What is it about these articles that caused such a commotion? Are the allegations therein true? Why is there no previous complaint? Is there any connection between his writings and his imprisonment for libel?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)