|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A movement begins in Panama in July 1903, as 25-26 gather to talk revolution, including which leaders?
2. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
3. George W. Goethals starts a weekly newspaper, the Canal Record, for what purpose?
4. Who pays Colombia $25 million in indemnities in 1925?
5. How fast before the canal becomes a smooth, quiet operation, free from the drama and hoopla characteristic of earlier years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would be an accurate description of John Stevens, the second chief engineer in Panama?
2. What is occurring during the initial stage of U.S. efforts in Panama that culminates in a 1905 event?
3. Rather than shutting the project down, what are some of the thing implemented by the authoritative new chairman of the ICC, Theodore Perry Shonts?
4. What is it about May 4, 1904, that makes it a significant date in the history of the Canal Zone?
5. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
6. How is it the U.S. must come to grips with Article 35 of the Bidack Treaty in regard to Panama?
7. What became of Phillippee Banau-Varilla?
8. What takes place in early 1907 that seals John Stevens' fate as chief engineer?
9. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
10. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the seven-headed ICC is replaced with a three-member version, it is chaired by Theodore Perry Shonts. How effective is the ICC's new chairman? What actions does he take to ensure success? Does he abide by the rules? What successes does he achieve? What failures does he encounter?
Essay Topic 2
Ferdinand de Lesseps begins publishing his "Bullet in du Canal Interocyanique" and George W. Goethals his "Canal Record. How are they alike? How do they differ? Are they merely propaganda organs, or is there some legitimacy to them? How effective is each?
Essay Topic 3
The last chief engineer is George Washington Goethals. He is a model officer of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Does he operate under a military regime approach? Does he use the methods of either John Stevens or John Wallace? What are some of the techniques he utilized to achieve success with the project itself? What approaches did he take for success with those on his payroll?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)