|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Walker does not accept the mosquito theory and insists the solution is what?
2. George W. Goethals allows employees to air grievances where?
3. When Phillippe Banau-Varilla resigns as Panamanian envoy, resumes publishing Le Matin, and asks the salary due him be reserved to build a monument to whom?
4. Why is marriage encouraged in the Canal Zone?
5. George W. Goethals starts a weekly newspaper, the Canal Record, for what purpose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
2. What is traffic like following opening of the canal?
3. How is it the U.S. must come to grips with Article 35 of the Bidack Treaty in regard to Panama?
4. Why is the initial Chief Engineer, John F. Wallace, let go?
5. What is the focus of attention from 1907-1913?
6. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
7. What is the social life like in Panama for canal workers during Goethals' time?
8. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
9. What is occurring during the initial stage of U.S. efforts in Panama that culminates in a 1905 event?
10. What takes place in early 1907 that seals John Stevens' fate as chief engineer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
No scandal in France surrounding the liquidation of Compagnie Universelle reportedly would have taken place except for Ydouard Drumont's publication of "La France Juive" in 1886. What is it about these articles that caused such a commotion? Are the allegations therein true? Why is there no previous complaint? Is there any connection between his writings and his imprisonment for libel?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 3 shows that only Ferdinand de Lesseps's preconceived opinions and views matter at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris. Why does de Lesseps not hold a legitimate meeting? Would it still not have come down to Panama or Nicaragua, as it did in the debates years later in Walker vs. Morgan? He is definitely a "take charge" type, but why does he continuously shrug off critical facts presented to him? Why does his success not carry over to Panama?
Essay Topic 3
Ferdinand de Lesseps begins publishing his "Bullet in du Canal Interocyanique" and George W. Goethals his "Canal Record. How are they alike? How do they differ? Are they merely propaganda organs, or is there some legitimacy to them? How effective is each?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)