|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The great dam at Gatun, that is 15 times wider at the base than it is high, is how difficult to construct?
2. How many times does Theodore Roosevelt return to Panama to see the canal?
3. George W. Goethals starts a weekly newspaper, the Canal Record, for what purpose?
4. What is the main issue impeding fumigation in U.S. facilities?
5. In the fall of 1902 as discussions of Canal Zone sovereignty reach a critical point, civil war erupts on the Isthmus and Theodore Roosevelt takes what action?
Short Essay Questions
1. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
2. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
3. What would be an accurate description of John Stevens, the second chief engineer in Panama?
4. What is occurring during the initial stage of U.S. efforts in Panama that culminates in a 1905 event?
5. What is it about May 4, 1904, that makes it a significant date in the history of the Canal Zone?
6. What is the social life like in Panama for canal workers during Goethals' time?
7. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
8. What takes place in early 1907 that seals John Stevens' fate as chief engineer?
9. What is Panama's social structure like?
10. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1884, at age 26, Phillippe Banau-Varilla is put in charge of operations at the Culebra and Pacific end of the Panama Canal. When the director general and his assistant resign, Banau-Varilla becomes acting head of the Panama project until 1886. Why do they place so young an individual in such important leadership positions? What education and experience does he have? How well is he able to perform? What happens when a permanent director general arrives? Where does Banau-Varilla go?
Essay Topic 2
No scandal in France surrounding the liquidation of Compagnie Universelle reportedly would have taken place except for Ydouard Drumont's publication of "La France Juive" in 1886. What is it about these articles that caused such a commotion? Are the allegations therein true? Why is there no previous complaint? Is there any connection between his writings and his imprisonment for libel?
Essay Topic 3
David McCullough notes in his initial chapter that all early 19th-century canal plans are preposterous. Every survey is flawed due to assumptions and inaccurate data. Yet the Suez Canal was successfully opening on November 1869, after ten years of construction. It is twice as long as the Panama Canal, which did not open until 1914. Actual work on the Panama did not start until 1880, a decade following the Suez opening. Central America afforded at least 19 possible locations to select from. Explain what causes so many problems in constructing the Panama Canal. What took so long? Why was there such a lengthy battle in Washington? What caused the loss of so many lives?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)