|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
2. The average death rate in the final year among whites is 2.06 per thousand, and what per thousand among blacks?
3. What does Theodore Roosevelt stress in his autobiography as to his action in Panama?.
4. When is the Hay-Herran Treaty signed?
5. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the critical points of the Hay- Herran Treaty ratified by the Senate 73-5 on March 17, 1903?
2. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
3. What is traffic like following opening of the canal?
4. What became of Phillippee Banau-Varilla?
5. What would be an accurate description of John Stevens, the second chief engineer in Panama?
6. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
7. What takes place in early 1907 that seals John Stevens' fate as chief engineer?
8. Rather than shutting the project down, what are some of the thing implemented by the authoritative new chairman of the ICC, Theodore Perry Shonts?
9. On what issue in the Canal Zone does Theodore Roosevelt place his utmost priority?
10. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is social life like in the Canal Zone in the latter half of the construction period? Has the war on pestilence and disease been effective? What is offered to prompt individuals to come to Panama, or bring their families? What is the cost of living in Panama like? What social events are available to employees after work hours?
Essay Topic 2
David McCullough reports that the second Hay-Pauncefote Treaty is the most important of Theodore Roosevelt's presidency. Why does Roosevelt disapprove of the initial treaty? How does he demonstrate his objections? Why does Roosevelt state he is "delighted" by the November 18, 1901 signing of the revised treaty?
Essay Topic 3
The last chief engineer is George Washington Goethals. He is a model officer of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Does he operate under a military regime approach? Does he use the methods of either John Stevens or John Wallace? What are some of the techniques he utilized to achieve success with the project itself? What approaches did he take for success with those on his payroll?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)