|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
2. William Cromwell, on June 13, 1903, leaks to the New York World paper he had a talk with Theodore Roosevelt about recognizing a secessionist Republic of Panama should what continue?
3. Lieutenant Colonel William Crawford Gorgas, despite opposition from bureaucrats, maintains the biggest challenge is what?
4. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
5. Theodore Roosevelt declares he would have recommended the Congress take possession of the isthmus had the Panamanians not revolted, as which nation is not a responsible power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would be an accurate description of John Stevens, the second chief engineer in Panama?
2. What is occurring during the initial stage of U.S. efforts in Panama that culminates in a 1905 event?
3. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
4. What does George Washington Goethals do after the canal is completed?
5. What is the social life like in Panama for canal workers during Goethals' time?
6. What is historically significant for Panama about January 15, 1904?
7. What became of Phillippee Banau-Varilla?
8. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
9. What takes place in early 1907 that seals John Stevens' fate as chief engineer?
10. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is social life like in the Canal Zone in the latter half of the construction period? Has the war on pestilence and disease been effective? What is offered to prompt individuals to come to Panama, or bring their families? What is the cost of living in Panama like? What social events are available to employees after work hours?
Essay Topic 2
You have been invited to attend the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris for a week. Things get a little heated. But you are maintaining a personal log that includes where you go, what you do, activities at the conference, and so on. Make a paper consisting of five to six log entries.
Essay Topic 3
The Panama Canal is built under three American presidents: Theodore Roosevelt, William H. Taft, and Woodrow Wilson. Who can be given the most credit for U.S. success there? What actions or efforts, before, during, or after their time in office, substantiate your position in selecting one over the other two?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)