|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
2. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
3. As the U.S. establishes a naval base at Cuba, annexes Hawaii, and acquires Guam, the Philippines, and Puerto Rico, the canal Theodore Roosevelt has been advocating becomes what?
4. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
5. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in Havana, Cuba, during the Spanish-American War of 1898 that encourages Theodore Roosevelt in his zeal for a canal in Central America?
2. What is the subtitle for Chapter 3, "Consensus of One," a reference to?
3. What is Colon like, where Ferdinant de Lesseps' entourage begins their journey in Panama?
4. How can the early years of the Companie Universele be described?
5. In mid-November 1887, what sort of new locks does Ferdinand de Lesseps state Alexandre Gustava Eiffel will be designing and building?
6. What are the reasons Admiral Ammen opposes the official U.S. plan?
7. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps accomplish between the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris and sailing for Panama in December that year?
8. It is stated the Navy recalls 1850 because Lt. Isaac Strain and his party nearly perish trying to locate a path at Darien, yet what are other reasons beyond that?
9. What critical things transpire in regard to the French canal project in July 1886?
10. What is the result of Gaston Blanchet's proposal for a 400' wide swath to ease surveying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Panama Canal is built under three American presidents: Theodore Roosevelt, William H. Taft, and Woodrow Wilson. Who can be given the most credit for U.S. success there? What actions or efforts, before, during, or after their time in office, substantiate your position in selecting one over the other two?
Essay Topic 2
In 1884, at age 26, Phillippe Banau-Varilla is put in charge of operations at the Culebra and Pacific end of the Panama Canal. When the director general and his assistant resign, Banau-Varilla becomes acting head of the Panama project until 1886. Why do they place so young an individual in such important leadership positions? What education and experience does he have? How well is he able to perform? What happens when a permanent director general arrives? Where does Banau-Varilla go?
Essay Topic 3
Ferdinand de Lesseps was successful in getting the Suez Canal completed in ten years. Why was Compagnie Universelle attempt in the Panama a failure? What factors that he has control over does he fail to address? What matters are out of his hands? Hindsight is 20/20, but what should he have done differently? Was there any way for de Lesseps to pull Panama off successfully?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)