|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
2. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
3. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
5. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is notable about the date of October 20, 1893?
2. What critical things transpire in regard to the French canal project in July 1886?
3. What role does Chicago Times-Herald reporter Walter Wellman play in the Central American canal scenario?
4. What transpires when newspaper headlines proclaim the "Great Canal Crash" to readers around the world?
5. What takes place in Havana, Cuba, during the Spanish-American War of 1898 that encourages Theodore Roosevelt in his zeal for a canal in Central America?
6. Why does Ferdinand de Lesseps lose interest in the Suez Canal?
7. What do Ferdinand de Lesseps and his companions find in Panama City?
8. How can the early years of the Companie Universele be described?
9. As the Morgan Committee rejects the recommendations of the Walker Commission, what are the rumors that are circulating around Washington?
10. In Chapter 1 of his book, David McCullough views a number of expeditions that were made in Central America in the early 19th-century looking for the ideal route, but what did he find as common to every canal proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
William Nelson Cromwell locates and talks John Stevens into replacing John Wallace. What type of training, schooling, and experience does Stevens have? What successes has he enjoyed? Who is supporting him? What sort of leadership does he exercise? What takes place when he moves the engineering office to Culebra? What successes does Stevens achieve? What failures does he endure? Why is Stevens replaced?
Essay Topic 2
John Wallace is the first chief engineer for the American project at Panama. Why is he selected? What is his background? What pluses and what minus does he bring? What successes does he achieve, and what failures occur on his watch, this initial period? Why does he leave the job?
Essay Topic 3
You have been invited to attend the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris for a week. Things get a little heated. But you are maintaining a personal log that includes where you go, what you do, activities at the conference, and so on. Make a paper consisting of five to six log entries.
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)