|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
2. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
3. Theodore Roosevelt is in what position when he initially thrusts himself into shaping policy for an American canal?
4. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
5. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What increases the impetus to build a canal, and why?
2. Briefly, who is Edouard Drumont?
3. In mid-November 1887, what sort of new locks does Ferdinand de Lesseps state Alexandre Gustava Eiffel will be designing and building?
4. The chances against Panama being selected as the location for a canal over Nicaragua are reportedly 100 to 1, until what two events occur?
5. Who are the three prominent directors of the Turr Syndicate and what are their backgrounds?
6. What are the two routes U.S. proponents of a Central American canal fight for?
7. What does the swindler Cornelius Herz do before he flees to France?
8. Why is it yellow fever causes instant panic in comparison to other tropical diseases?
9. How is the work organized under the French?
10. What is the situation like in Panama when Phillippe Banau-Varilla is appointed acting director of the French project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
You have been invited to attend the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris for a week. Things get a little heated. But you are maintaining a personal log that includes where you go, what you do, activities at the conference, and so on. Make a paper consisting of five to six log entries.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 3 shows that only Ferdinand de Lesseps's preconceived opinions and views matter at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris. Why does de Lesseps not hold a legitimate meeting? Would it still not have come down to Panama or Nicaragua, as it did in the debates years later in Walker vs. Morgan? He is definitely a "take charge" type, but why does he continuously shrug off critical facts presented to him? Why does his success not carry over to Panama?
Essay Topic 3
Ferdinand de Lesseps was successful in getting the Suez Canal completed in ten years. Why was Compagnie Universelle attempt in the Panama a failure? What factors that he has control over does he fail to address? What matters are out of his hands? Hindsight is 20/20, but what should he have done differently? Was there any way for de Lesseps to pull Panama off successfully?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)