|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
2. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
3. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
4. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Chicago Times-Herald reporter Walter Wellman play in the Central American canal scenario?
2. What is Colon like, where Ferdinant de Lesseps' entourage begins their journey in Panama?
3. As the Morgan Committee rejects the recommendations of the Walker Commission, what are the rumors that are circulating around Washington?
4. Who are the three prominent directors of the Turr Syndicate and what are their backgrounds?
5. What is the most important committee, and how does Ferdinand de Lesseps steer it?
6. What are the two routes U.S. proponents of a Central American canal fight for?
7. In mid-November 1887, what sort of new locks does Ferdinand de Lesseps state Alexandre Gustava Eiffel will be designing and building?
8. What does the swindler Cornelius Herz do before he flees to France?
9. How can the early years of the Companie Universele be described?
10. Why does Ferdinand de Lesseps lose interest in the Suez Canal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Wallace is the first chief engineer for the American project at Panama. Why is he selected? What is his background? What pluses and what minus does he bring? What successes does he achieve, and what failures occur on his watch, this initial period? Why does he leave the job?
Essay Topic 2
Ferdinand de Lesseps begins publishing his "Bullet in du Canal Interocyanique" and George W. Goethals his "Canal Record. How are they alike? How do they differ? Are they merely propaganda organs, or is there some legitimacy to them? How effective is each?
Essay Topic 3
The Panama Canal is built under three American presidents: Theodore Roosevelt, William H. Taft, and Woodrow Wilson. Who can be given the most credit for U.S. success there? What actions or efforts, before, during, or after their time in office, substantiate your position in selecting one over the other two?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)