|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Armand Rousseau's report declares abandoning the Panama project will harm French prestige and advocates what?
2. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
3. On March 10, 1902, the Morgan Committee reports out the Hepburn Bill favorably, recommending what?
4. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
5. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the professional path for potential French civil engineers in the 19th-century?
2. How is the work organized under the French?
3. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps and those accompanying him encounter at Barbacoas?
4. What is notable about the date of October 20, 1893?
5. What is Colon like, where Ferdinant de Lesseps' entourage begins their journey in Panama?
6. As the Morgan Committee rejects the recommendations of the Walker Commission, what are the rumors that are circulating around Washington?
7. Who are the three prominent directors of the Turr Syndicate and what are their backgrounds?
8. It is stated the Navy recalls 1850 because Lt. Isaac Strain and his party nearly perish trying to locate a path at Darien, yet what are other reasons beyond that?
9. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps accomplish between the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris and sailing for Panama in December that year?
10. As hard as they work, what are some of the problems the French engineers encounter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cream of France's engineering programs in the 19th century reportedly looks down their noses at Americans in that field. Yet they do not adapt well in Panama as they did in Egypt ten years earlier. Why is this so? Why are they unable to habituate as the Americans eventually will later? Is it fair to attribute their difficulty to acclimatize to snobbishness as David McCullough suggests?
Essay Topic 2
What is social life like in the Canal Zone in the latter half of the construction period? Has the war on pestilence and disease been effective? What is offered to prompt individuals to come to Panama, or bring their families? What is the cost of living in Panama like? What social events are available to employees after work hours?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. William Crawford Gorgas is the U.S. Army's foremost expert on tropical diseases when he is assigned to Panama. Where does he receive his training and his experience? From whom does he gain cooperation at Panama, and from whom does he encounter opposition? What are his biggest medical battles? What sorts of problems and why? What successes does he achieve in Panama? How long is he assigned to Panama?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)