|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
2. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
4. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
5. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the essential elements, pros and cons, to A.G. Menocal's canal proposal?
2. Briefly, who is Edouard Drumont?
3. What are the two routes U.S. proponents of a Central American canal fight for?
4. In mid-November 1887, what sort of new locks does Ferdinand de Lesseps state Alexandre Gustava Eiffel will be designing and building?
5. It is stated the Navy recalls 1850 because Lt. Isaac Strain and his party nearly perish trying to locate a path at Darien, yet what are other reasons beyond that?
6. How does the press report the situation three weeks subsequent to the fire destroying Colon?
7. What is the result of Gaston Blanchet's proposal for a 400' wide swath to ease surveying?
8. Who is Rear Adm. John Grimes Walker?
9. What do Ferdinand de Lesseps and his companions find in Panama City?
10. What is Colon like, where Ferdinant de Lesseps' entourage begins their journey in Panama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
You have been invited to attend the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris for a week. Things get a little heated. But you are maintaining a personal log that includes where you go, what you do, activities at the conference, and so on. Make a paper consisting of five to six log entries.
Essay Topic 2
William Nelson Cromwell locates and talks John Stevens into replacing John Wallace. What type of training, schooling, and experience does Stevens have? What successes has he enjoyed? Who is supporting him? What sort of leadership does he exercise? What takes place when he moves the engineering office to Culebra? What successes does Stevens achieve? What failures does he endure? Why is Stevens replaced?
Essay Topic 3
The Panama Canal is built under three American presidents: Theodore Roosevelt, William H. Taft, and Woodrow Wilson. Who can be given the most credit for U.S. success there? What actions or efforts, before, during, or after their time in office, substantiate your position in selecting one over the other two?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)