|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Morgan Committee rejects the Walker Commission recommendations, the Senate debates the issues for two weeks, and Mt. Pelye's explosion and a Nicaraguan stamp turn odds how?
2. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
3. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
4. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
5. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What critical things transpire in regard to the French canal project in July 1886?
2. How can the early years of the Companie Universele be described?
3. Why is it that Ferdinand de Lesseps takes on doing the Suez Canal?
4. Why does Ferdinand de Lesseps lose interest in the Suez Canal?
5. In mid-November 1887, what sort of new locks does Ferdinand de Lesseps state Alexandre Gustava Eiffel will be designing and building?
6. Who is Rear Adm. John Grimes Walker?
7. What increases the impetus to build a canal, and why?
8. It is stated the Navy recalls 1850 because Lt. Isaac Strain and his party nearly perish trying to locate a path at Darien, yet what are other reasons beyond that?
9. What is the most important committee, and how does Ferdinand de Lesseps steer it?
10. What are the reasons Admiral Ammen opposes the official U.S. plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 3 shows that only Ferdinand de Lesseps's preconceived opinions and views matter at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris. Why does de Lesseps not hold a legitimate meeting? Would it still not have come down to Panama or Nicaragua, as it did in the debates years later in Walker vs. Morgan? He is definitely a "take charge" type, but why does he continuously shrug off critical facts presented to him? Why does his success not carry over to Panama?
Essay Topic 2
David McCullough reports that the second Hay-Pauncefote Treaty is the most important of Theodore Roosevelt's presidency. Why does Roosevelt disapprove of the initial treaty? How does he demonstrate his objections? Why does Roosevelt state he is "delighted" by the November 18, 1901 signing of the revised treaty?
Essay Topic 3
In 1884, at age 26, Phillippe Banau-Varilla is put in charge of operations at the Culebra and Pacific end of the Panama Canal. When the director general and his assistant resign, Banau-Varilla becomes acting head of the Panama project until 1886. Why do they place so young an individual in such important leadership positions? What education and experience does he have? How well is he able to perform? What happens when a permanent director general arrives? Where does Banau-Varilla go?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)