|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
2. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
3. The Morgan Committee rejects the Walker Commission recommendations, the Senate debates the issues for two weeks, and Mt. Pelye's explosion and a Nicaraguan stamp turn odds how?
4. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
5. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the Morgan Committee rejects the recommendations of the Walker Commission, what are the rumors that are circulating around Washington?
2. What is the result of Gaston Blanchet's proposal for a 400' wide swath to ease surveying?
3. What are the essential elements, pros and cons, to A.G. Menocal's canal proposal?
4. What critical things transpire in regard to the French canal project in July 1886?
5. What transpires when newspaper headlines proclaim the "Great Canal Crash" to readers around the world?
6. Why does Ferdinand de Lesseps lose interest in the Suez Canal?
7. What does the swindler Cornelius Herz do before he flees to France?
8. How does the press report the situation three weeks subsequent to the fire destroying Colon?
9. How can the early years of the Companie Universele be described?
10. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps and those accompanying him encounter at Barbacoas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The last chief engineer is George Washington Goethals. He is a model officer of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Does he operate under a military regime approach? Does he use the methods of either John Stevens or John Wallace? What are some of the techniques he utilized to achieve success with the project itself? What approaches did he take for success with those on his payroll?
Essay Topic 2
You have been invited to attend the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris for a week. Things get a little heated. But you are maintaining a personal log that includes where you go, what you do, activities at the conference, and so on. Make a paper consisting of five to six log entries.
Essay Topic 3
No scandal in France surrounding the liquidation of Compagnie Universelle reportedly would have taken place except for Ydouard Drumont's publication of "La France Juive" in 1886. What is it about these articles that caused such a commotion? Are the allegations therein true? Why is there no previous complaint? Is there any connection between his writings and his imprisonment for libel?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)