|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. George W. Goethals starts a weekly newspaper, the Canal Record, for what purpose?
(a) Use as a sealant of buildings in preparation for fumigation.
(b) Use as a propaganda tool intended to keep laborers steadfast.
(c) Give an accurate, up-to-date picture of the progress.
(d) A valid newspaper designed to appeal to all employees, black and white.
2. When does the Pacific fleet pass through the Panama Canal relative to Theodore Roosevelt's death, and does he view it?
(a) Just months before Theodore Roosevel's death, he does not.
(b) Just months following Theodore Roosevelt's death, he cannot.
(c) Just weeks before Theodore Roosevelt's death, he does not.
(d) Several years before Theodore Roosevelt's death, he does.
3. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
4. The average death rate in the final year among whites is 2.06 per thousand, and what per thousand among blacks?
5. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
(a) July 26, 1905.
(b) July 26, 1904.
(c) December 15, 1906.
(d) December 15, 1905.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the focus of attention in the final stages?
2. What is the main issue impeding fumigation in U.S. facilities?
3. Who is hired as America's first chief engineer for the canal project, with the understanding he need not move to the isthmus?
4. A Panamanian National Constitutional Convention is held on January 15, 1904, and a National Assembly elects whom as President?
5. The "Great Panic" in the Canal Zone results in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rather than shutting the project down, what are some of the thing implemented by the authoritative new chairman of the ICC, Theodore Perry Shonts?
2. Why is the initial Chief Engineer, John F. Wallace, let go?
3. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
4. What became of Phillippee Banau-Varilla?
5. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
6. What would be an accurate description of John Stevens, the second chief engineer in Panama?
7. What takes place in early 1907 that seals John Stevens' fate as chief engineer?
8. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
9. On what issue in the Canal Zone does Theodore Roosevelt place his utmost priority?
10. What is it about May 4, 1904, that makes it a significant date in the history of the Canal Zone?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)