|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thousands of articles create popular view of Canal Zone life, but make no mention of blacks, so government inspectors and fact-finders are amazed to see the entire project depends on what?
(a) Black labor in construction and Central American labor in the service industries.
(b) Black labor in the service industries only.
(c) Black labor in construction only.
(d) Black labor, both in construction and in the vast service industries.
2. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
3. What is the focus of attention in the final stages?
(a) Canal size.
(d) Improvement in conditions.
4. What three men is the lock design and engineering largely the work of?
(a) Charles de Lesseps, Edward Schildhauer, and Henry Goldmark.
(b) Edward Schildhauer, Henry Goldmark, and William H. Welch.
(c) George W. Goethals, Henry Goldmark, and Lt. Col. Hodges.
(d) Lieutenant Colonel Hodges, Edward Schildhauer, and Henry Goldmark.
5. When is the Hay-Herran Treaty signed?
(a) April 23, 1903.
(b) January 21, 1903.
(c) February 21, 1903.
(d) March 21, 1903.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
2. Who outmaneuvers the Panamanians into giving the U.S. greater rights in the Canal Zone than it wants?
3. A Panamanian National Constitutional Convention is held on January 15, 1904, and a National Assembly elects whom as President?
4. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
5. When Phillippe Banau-Varilla resigns as Panamanian envoy, resumes publishing Le Matin, and asks the salary due him be reserved to build a monument to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
2. What are some of the critical points of the Hay- Herran Treaty ratified by the Senate 73-5 on March 17, 1903?
3. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
4. What would be an accurate description of John Stevens, the second chief engineer in Panama?
5. Rather than shutting the project down, what are some of the thing implemented by the authoritative new chairman of the ICC, Theodore Perry Shonts?
6. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
7. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
8. What is the focus of attention from 1907-1913?
9. On what issue in the Canal Zone does Theodore Roosevelt place his utmost priority?
10. What is historically significant for Panama about January 15, 1904?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)