|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
(a) July 26, 1905.
(b) July 26, 1904.
(c) December 15, 1905.
(d) December 15, 1906.
2. "Adventure by Trigonometry" is the subtitle of Chapter 12, detailing how the U.S. moves from what to what?
(a) Talking with Panama, but covertly readying support for Colombian revolution.
(b) Talking with Panama, but covertly readying support for a revolution there.
(c) Talking with Nicaragua, but covertly readying support for Panamanian revolution.
(d) Talking with Colombia, but covertly readying support for Panamanian revolution.
3. Who pays Colombia $25 million in indemnities in 1925?
(a) Calvin Coolidge.
(b) William Howard Taft.
(c) Woodrow Wilson.
(d) Warren G. Harding.
4. Crews respond by competing how to top the published excavation statistics?
5. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why, on November 1, 1903, do Manuel Amador and a colleague let Colonel James Shaler know Colombian troops are approaching?
2. The average death rate in the final year among whites is 2.06 per thousand, and what per thousand among blacks?
3. A Panamanian National Constitutional Convention is held on January 15, 1904, and a National Assembly elects whom as President?
4. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
5. The "Great Panic" in the Canal Zone results in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
2. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
3. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
4. On what issue in the Canal Zone does Theodore Roosevelt place his utmost priority?
5. What became of Phillippee Banau-Varilla?
6. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
7. How is it the U.S. must come to grips with Article 35 of the Bidack Treaty in regard to Panama?
8. Why is the initial Chief Engineer, John F. Wallace, let go?
9. What is occurring during the initial stage of U.S. efforts in Panama that culminates in a 1905 event?
10. What does George Washington Goethals do after the canal is completed?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)