|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main issue impeding fumigation in U.S. facilities?
(a) Lack of newsprint to seal buildings.
(b) Climate is too humid.
(c) Lack of chemical fumigants.
(d) Lack of devices to dispense fumes.
2. "The Man with the Sun in His Eyes," the subtitle for Chapter 18, refers to Theodore Roosevelt's 1906 visit to the isthmus, where he takes everything in how?
(a) Blinded by the sprucing up for his viewing.
(b) With childlike enthusiasm.
(c) It was his initial experience outside the U.S.
(d) Absorbing all during the daytime.
3. How fast before the canal becomes a smooth, quiet operation, free from the drama and hoopla characteristic of earlier years?
(c) Decades later.
(d) Very slowly.
4. Theodore Roosevelt's ship arrives in Panama a day early, so as not to ruin John Steven's schedule, the Presidential party agrees to stay on board overnight, but in the morning the welcoming party finds what?
(a) Roosevelt having breakfast at a hotel.
(b) Roosevelt's ship gone from port.
(c) Roosevelt ashore exploring the waterfront.
(d) Rosevelt in the jungle on a hunting expedition.
5. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
(a) $4 million.
(b) $3 million.
(c) $1 million.
(d) $2 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
2. Who outmaneuvers the Panamanians into giving the U.S. greater rights in the Canal Zone than it wants?
3. Who pays Colombia $25 million in indemnities in 1925?
4. When William Howard Taft succeeds Theodore Roosevelt in 1909, the canal project is how far completed?
5. Why is marriage encouraged in the Canal Zone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it the U.S. must come to grips with Article 35 of the Bidack Treaty in regard to Panama?
2. Rather than shutting the project down, what are some of the thing implemented by the authoritative new chairman of the ICC, Theodore Perry Shonts?
3. On what issue in the Canal Zone does Theodore Roosevelt place his utmost priority?
4. Why is the initial Chief Engineer, John F. Wallace, let go?
5. What is Panama's social structure like?
6. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
7. What is historically significant for Panama about January 15, 1904?
8. What does George Washington Goethals do after the canal is completed?
9. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
10. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)