|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How fast before the canal becomes a smooth, quiet operation, free from the drama and hoopla characteristic of earlier years?
(c) Decades later.
(d) Very slowly.
2. At the peak of U.S. work, on any given day, how many steam shovels were operating in the Cut?
3. The great dam at Gatun, that is 15 times wider at the base than it is high, is how difficult to construct?
(a) Unbelievably difficult.
(b) Surprisingly easy.
(c) Moderately hard.
(d) Almost impossible.
4. Theodore Roosevelt times his visit to experience it when?
(a) Height of rainy season.
(b) Between Christmas and New Year's Eve.
(c) Panama's Revolution Day.
(d) Height of dry season.
5. In the fall of 1902 as discussions of Canal Zone sovereignty reach a critical point, civil war erupts on the Isthmus and Theodore Roosevelt takes what action?
(a) Dispatches a State Department negotiating team.
(b) Sends in the Army to secure the railroad.
(c) None, as he has no legislative approval.
(d) Sends in the Marines to secure the railroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. George W. Goethals allows employees to air grievances where?
2. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
3. Who outmaneuvers the Panamanians into giving the U.S. greater rights in the Canal Zone than it wants?
4. Who pays Colombia $25 million in indemnities in 1925?
5. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is traffic like following opening of the canal?
2. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
3. Why is the initial Chief Engineer, John F. Wallace, let go?
4. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
5. Rather than shutting the project down, what are some of the thing implemented by the authoritative new chairman of the ICC, Theodore Perry Shonts?
6. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
7. What takes place in early 1907 that seals John Stevens' fate as chief engineer?
8. What is Panama's social structure like?
9. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
10. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)