|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who serves as quartermaster general during World War I, finishes his career on Wall Street, and is buried at West Point in 1928?
(a) John Stevens.
(b) Theodore Perry Shonts.
(c) John Findley Wallace.
(d) George W. Goethals.
2. How fast before the canal becomes a smooth, quiet operation, free from the drama and hoopla characteristic of earlier years?
(b) Decades later.
(d) Very slowly.
3. "Adventure by Trigonometry" is the subtitle of Chapter 12, detailing how the U.S. moves from what to what?
(a) Talking with Panama, but covertly readying support for a revolution there.
(b) Talking with Nicaragua, but covertly readying support for Panamanian revolution.
(c) Talking with Colombia, but covertly readying support for Panamanian revolution.
(d) Talking with Panama, but covertly readying support for Colombian revolution.
4. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
(a) Panama City.
(b) New York.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) San Francisco.
5. Panama Patchwork is a publication by James Stanley Gilbert containing what?
(a) Poems about disease, alcoholism, death, futility.
(b) A magazine arising in competition with George W. Goethals' Canal Record.
(c) A Sunday newspaper with letters, poetry, stories, other contributions.
(d) A daily newspaper designed for a black audience.
Short Answer Questions
1. For an overall view of the Gatun dam site, Theodore Roosevelt races up the hillside and takes a look, and then the most famous moment of his trip takes place when Roosevelt does what?
2. Theodore Roosevelt declares he would have recommended the Congress take possession of the isthmus had the Panamanians not revolted, as which nation is not a responsible power?
3. A worker dies of bubonic plague on July 3, 1905, and William Crawford Gorgas immediately orders a campaign to eradicate what?
4. For American tourists crowding trains, as impressive as they find the Gatun Dam, locks, and Culebra Cut, what gives them the greatest patriotic pride?
5. What is the main issue impeding fumigation in U.S. facilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
2. What are some of the critical points of the Hay- Herran Treaty ratified by the Senate 73-5 on March 17, 1903?
3. On what issue in the Canal Zone does Theodore Roosevelt place his utmost priority?
4. What would be an accurate description of John Stevens, the second chief engineer in Panama?
5. How is it the U.S. must come to grips with Article 35 of the Bidack Treaty in regard to Panama?
6. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
7. What is traffic like following opening of the canal?
8. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
9. What is Panama's social structure like?
10. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)