|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
(a) July 26, 1905.
(b) July 26, 1904.
(c) December 15, 1905.
(d) December 15, 1906.
2. How fast before the canal becomes a smooth, quiet operation, free from the drama and hoopla characteristic of earlier years?
(b) Very slowly.
(c) Decades later.
3. Who heads the U.S. Army's medical service during World War I and dies in London in 1920?
(a) William Henry Welch.
(b) Henry Rose Carter.
(c) William Crawford Gorgas.
(d) Walter Reed.
4. John Stevens feels the Panama Canal can be completed by January 1914, but doubts a sea- level version can be prior to what year?
5. What is the focus of attention in the final stages?
(a) Improvement in conditions.
(c) Canal size.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
2. Who pays Colombia $25 million in indemnities in 1925?
3. The Wallace/Stevens departmental system is replaced by what?
4. A movement begins in Panama in July 1903, as 25-26 gather to talk revolution, including which leaders?
5. When Josy Vincente Concha resigns in nervous exhaustion, he is replaced by career diplomat Tomas Herran, fluent in English and popular in Washington, and Herran proves to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Panama's social structure like?
2. How is it the U.S. must come to grips with Article 35 of the Bidack Treaty in regard to Panama?
3. Rather than shutting the project down, what are some of the thing implemented by the authoritative new chairman of the ICC, Theodore Perry Shonts?
4. On what issue in the Canal Zone does Theodore Roosevelt place his utmost priority?
5. What would be an accurate description of John Stevens, the second chief engineer in Panama?
6. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
7. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
8. What is traffic like following opening of the canal?
9. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
10. What is occurring during the initial stage of U.S. efforts in Panama that culminates in a 1905 event?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)