|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
(a) Panama City.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
2. How many years does it take to build the locks?
3. Who orders commissaries established immediately, even if this will violate agreements with Panama?
(a) William Howard Taft.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Theodore Perry Shonts.
(d) John Stevens.
4. What is the focus of attention in the final stages?
(b) Improvement in conditions.
(d) Canal size.
5. A movement begins in Panama in July 1903, as 25-26 gather to talk revolution, including which leaders?
(a) Phillippe Banau-Varilla, Jose Agustin Arango, and Henry G. Prescott.
(b) William Cromwell, Phillippe Banau-Varilla, and Carlos Constantino Arosemena.
(c) Phillippe Banau-Varilla, Jose Agustin Arango, and Carlos Constantino Arosemena.
(d) Jose Agustin Arango, Carlos Constantino Arosemena, and Herbert G. Prescott.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who heads the U.S. Army's medical service during World War I and dies in London in 1920?
2. Why is marriage encouraged in the Canal Zone?
3. Who serves as quartermaster general during World War I, finishes his career on Wall Street, and is buried at West Point in 1928?
4. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
5. Thousands of articles create popular view of Canal Zone life, but make no mention of blacks, so government inspectors and fact-finders are amazed to see the entire project depends on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the social life like in Panama for canal workers during Goethals' time?
2. What is historically significant for Panama about January 15, 1904?
3. What is the focus of attention from 1907-1913?
4. What is Panama's social structure like?
5. Why is the initial Chief Engineer, John F. Wallace, let go?
6. How is it the U.S. must come to grips with Article 35 of the Bidack Treaty in regard to Panama?
7. On what issue in the Canal Zone does Theodore Roosevelt place his utmost priority?
8. What are some of the critical points of the Hay- Herran Treaty ratified by the Senate 73-5 on March 17, 1903?
9. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
10. What is occurring during the initial stage of U.S. efforts in Panama that culminates in a 1905 event?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)