|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. William Crawford Gorgas gathers data on how weather and topography affect Anopheles mosquitoes that transmit malarial parasite to humans, and discovers what?
(a) Direct sunlight and rain are lethal to them, strong air currents are not.
(b) Direct sunlight, rain, and strong air currents are lethal to them.
(c) Direct sunlight and strong air currents are lethal to them, rain is not.
(d) Direct sunlight, rain, and strong air currents have no effect on them.
2. What is the main issue impeding fumigation in U.S. facilities?
(a) Lack of chemical fumigants.
(b) Lack of devices to dispense fumes.
(c) Lack of newsprint to seal buildings.
(d) Climate is too humid.
3. How fast before the canal becomes a smooth, quiet operation, free from the drama and hoopla characteristic of earlier years?
(b) Decades later.
(c) Very slowly.
4. The "Great Panic" in the Canal Zone results in what?
(a) An exodus of Panamanians to Nicaragua.
(b) An exodus of service personnel back to their homelands.
(c) A demand for outgoing trains that cannot be kept up with.
(d) A demand for outgoing boats that cannot be kept up with.
5. For an overall view of the Gatun dam site, Theodore Roosevelt races up the hillside and takes a look, and then the most famous moment of his trip takes place when Roosevelt does what?
(a) Takes controls of a 15-ton construction tractor for 20 minutes.
(b) Takes controls of a 95-ton Bucyrus steam shovel for 20 minutes.
(c) Takes controls of a 275-ton train steam engine for 20 minutes.
(d) Takes the wheel of a loaded dump truck and dumps it on a train.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Theodore Roosevelt return to Panama to see the canal?
2. Why, on November 1, 1903, do Manuel Amador and a colleague let Colonel James Shaler know Colombian troops are approaching?
3. The average death rate in the final year among whites is 2.06 per thousand, and what per thousand among blacks?
4. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
5. The Wallace/Stevens departmental system is replaced by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What became of Phillippee Banau-Varilla?
2. What is occurring during the initial stage of U.S. efforts in Panama that culminates in a 1905 event?
3. What is the focus of attention from 1907-1913?
4. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
5. On what issue in the Canal Zone does Theodore Roosevelt place his utmost priority?
6. What is the social life like in Panama for canal workers during Goethals' time?
7. What are some of the critical points of the Hay- Herran Treaty ratified by the Senate 73-5 on March 17, 1903?
8. Rather than shutting the project down, what are some of the thing implemented by the authoritative new chairman of the ICC, Theodore Perry Shonts?
9. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
10. What is historically significant for Panama about January 15, 1904?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)