|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The average death rate in the final year among whites is 2.06 per thousand, and what per thousand among blacks?
2. The great dam at Gatun, that is 15 times wider at the base than it is high, is how difficult to construct?
(a) Moderately hard.
(b) Surprisingly easy.
(c) Unbelievably difficult.
(d) Almost impossible.
3. What is the focus of attention in the final stages?
(a) Canal size.
(d) Improvement in conditions.
4. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
5. Who heads the U.S. Army's medical service during World War I and dies in London in 1920?
(a) Walter Reed.
(b) Henry Rose Carter.
(c) William Henry Welch.
(d) William Crawford Gorgas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Transfer of the Canal Zone on May 4, 1904, is not ceremonial as Lieutenant Mark Brooke receives keys to the storehouses and hospital, signs a receipt, and the U.S. flag is raised where?
2. George W. Goethals allows employees to air grievances where?
3. Why, on November 1, 1903, do Manuel Amador and a colleague let Colonel James Shaler know Colombian troops are approaching?
4. A Panamanian National Constitutional Convention is held on January 15, 1904, and a National Assembly elects whom as President?
5. Lieutenant Colonel William Crawford Gorgas, despite opposition from bureaucrats, maintains the biggest challenge is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would be an accurate description of John Stevens, the second chief engineer in Panama?
2. What takes place in early 1907 that seals John Stevens' fate as chief engineer?
3. Why is the initial Chief Engineer, John F. Wallace, let go?
4. What is the social life like in Panama for canal workers during Goethals' time?
5. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
6. Rather than shutting the project down, what are some of the thing implemented by the authoritative new chairman of the ICC, Theodore Perry Shonts?
7. Which of the three presidents that the Panama Canal is built under is most crucial to it?
8. What became of Phillippee Banau-Varilla?
9. What does George Washington Goethals do after the canal is completed?
10. What is traffic like following opening of the canal?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)