|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
2. William Cromwell, on June 13, 1903, leaks to the New York World paper he had a talk with Theodore Roosevelt about recognizing a secessionist Republic of Panama should what continue?
(a) Nicaragua sending forces into Panama.
(b) Colombia being greedy.
(c) Colombia not dealing fairly with Chile.
(d) Colombia ignoring Panama's king.
3. Theodore Roosevelt times his visit to experience it when?
(a) Panama's Revolution Day.
(b) Height of dry season.
(c) Height of rainy season.
(d) Between Christmas and New Year's Eve.
4. The Canal Record, reliable in most respects, includes nothing about what?
(a) Divorce, alcoholism, abuse or addiction to drugs, or other negative topics.
(b) Black weddings, social affairs, births, and obituaries.
(c) Deaths or illnesses of any kind within the Canal Zone.
(d) Politics, government, or budgeting of the canal project.
5. "The Man with the Sun in His Eyes," the subtitle for Chapter 18, refers to Theodore Roosevelt's 1906 visit to the isthmus, where he takes everything in how?
(a) Blinded by the sprucing up for his viewing.
(b) With childlike enthusiasm.
(c) Absorbing all during the daytime.
(d) It was his initial experience outside the U.S.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
2. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
3. What three men is the lock design and engineering largely the work of?
4. Crews respond by competing how to top the published excavation statistics?
5. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about May 4, 1904, that makes it a significant date in the history of the Canal Zone?
2. Where does David McCullough get his subtitle for Chapter 12?
3. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
4. What is traffic like following opening of the canal?
5. What is historically significant for Panama about January 15, 1904?
6. Which of the three presidents that the Panama Canal is built under is most crucial to it?
7. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
8. What would be an accurate description of John Stevens, the second chief engineer in Panama?
9. What is the social life like in Panama for canal workers during Goethals' time?
10. What is the focus of attention from 1907-1913?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)