|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
(a) $2 million.
(b) $3 million.
(c) $4 million.
(d) $1 million.
2. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
(a) William N. Cromwell.
(b) John Findley Wallace.
(c) Charles F. Magoon.
(d) Theodore Perry Shonts.
3. George W. Goethals starts a weekly newspaper, the Canal Record, for what purpose?
(a) Give an accurate, up-to-date picture of the progress.
(b) A valid newspaper designed to appeal to all employees, black and white.
(c) Use as a sealant of buildings in preparation for fumigation.
(d) Use as a propaganda tool intended to keep laborers steadfast.
4. What is the main issue impeding fumigation in U.S. facilities?
(a) Lack of devices to dispense fumes.
(b) Lack of chemical fumigants.
(c) Lack of newsprint to seal buildings.
(d) Climate is too humid.
5. Transfer of the Canal Zone on May 4, 1904, is not ceremonial as Lieutenant Mark Brooke receives keys to the storehouses and hospital, signs a receipt, and the U.S. flag is raised where?
(a) Over a hospital.
(b) Over a storeroom.
(c) Over a hotel.
(d) At canal construction site near Panama City.
Short Answer Questions
1. When William Howard Taft succeeds Theodore Roosevelt in 1909, the canal project is how far completed?
2. Who serves as quartermaster general during World War I, finishes his career on Wall Street, and is buried at West Point in 1928?
3. When Phillippe Banau-Varilla resigns as Panamanian envoy, resumes publishing Le Matin, and asks the salary due him be reserved to build a monument to whom?
4. At the peak of U.S. work, on any given day, how many steam shovels were operating in the Cut?
5. A worker dies of bubonic plague on July 3, 1905, and William Crawford Gorgas immediately orders a campaign to eradicate what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is historically significant for Panama about January 15, 1904?
2. Which of the three presidents that the Panama Canal is built under is most crucial to it?
3. Rather than shutting the project down, what are some of the thing implemented by the authoritative new chairman of the ICC, Theodore Perry Shonts?
4. What are some of the critical points of the Hay- Herran Treaty ratified by the Senate 73-5 on March 17, 1903?
5. What takes place in early 1907 that seals John Stevens' fate as chief engineer?
6. What became of Phillippee Banau-Varilla?
7. What would be an accurate description of John Stevens, the second chief engineer in Panama?
8. What is the design of the largest moving part of the canal system?
9. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
10. Why is Colonel William Crawford Gorgas sent to Panama?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)