|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Theodore Roosevelt times his visit to experience it when?
(a) Panama's Revolution Day.
(b) Height of rainy season.
(c) Between Christmas and New Year's Eve.
(d) Height of dry season.
2. When is the Hay-Herran Treaty signed?
(a) January 21, 1903.
(b) February 21, 1903.
(c) March 21, 1903.
(d) April 23, 1903.
3. What is the key to the lock enterprise?
(a) Using water to make gates virtually weightless.
(b) Pressurized air lifts gates and propels movement.
(c) Balancing gates through wide weight dispersal.
(d) Using aluminum in place of steel reduces weight.
4. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) Panama City.
(c) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
5. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
(a) The canal would not have started if he followed normal legislative channels.
(b) He did not go back to Panama because they would not let him drive another steam shovel.
(c) It was not initiating the canal that was the problem, it was seeing it through.
(d) The canal started because he followed normal legislative channels.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marie Gorgas provides the best impressions of the American era in Panama, noting Colon is "unspeakably dirty" and depressing and the jungle is what?
2. In the fall of 1902 as discussions of Canal Zone sovereignty reach a critical point, civil war erupts on the Isthmus and Theodore Roosevelt takes what action?
3. What does Theodore Roosevelt stress in his autobiography as to his action in Panama?.
4. Thousands of articles create popular view of Canal Zone life, but make no mention of blacks, so government inspectors and fact-finders are amazed to see the entire project depends on what?
5. A movement begins in Panama in July 1903, as 25-26 gather to talk revolution, including which leaders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is traffic like following opening of the canal?
2. What became of Phillippee Banau-Varilla?
3. George Washington Goethals did not have the easy way with people as his predecessor John Stevens did, so what steps did he take for effective leadership?
4. Which of the three presidents that the Panama Canal is built under is most crucial to it?
5. What is it about May 4, 1904, that makes it a significant date in the history of the Canal Zone?
6. How is it the U.S. must come to grips with Article 35 of the Bidack Treaty in regard to Panama?
7. What critical event can be associated with Theodore Roosevelt and the date of January 4, 1904?
8. What are some of the critical points of the Hay- Herran Treaty ratified by the Senate 73-5 on March 17, 1903?
9. What is Panama's social structure like?
10. What does George Washington Goethals do after the canal is completed?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)