|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
(a) They want to forget it.
(b) A run on financial institutions.
(c) Polite petition for redress.
(d) Violent riots.
2. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
(b) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
(c) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
(d) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
3. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
(a) June-October, 175-185 inches annually.
(b) May-December, 120-130 inches annually.
(c) May-September, 100-110 inches annually.
(d) July-November, 50-60 inches annually.
4. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
(a) The Atlantic-Pacific Steamship Company.
(b) The Union Pacific Steamship Corporation.
(c) The Pacific Mail Steamship Company.
(d) The Intercontinental Steamship Company.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
(a) Company shares begin an upward shift.
(b) The company finally achieves an embankment slide resolution.
(c) A liquidator is appointed.
(d) A restructuring of the company transpires.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
2. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
3. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
5. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ferdinand de Lesseps lose interest in the Suez Canal?
2. What is the subtitle for Chapter 3, "Consensus of One," a reference to?
3. As the Morgan Committee rejects the recommendations of the Walker Commission, what are the rumors that are circulating around Washington?
4. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps and those accompanying him encounter at Barbacoas?
5. What does the swindler Cornelius Herz do before he flees to France?
6. How does the press report the situation three weeks subsequent to the fire destroying Colon?
7. Among the earliest authoritative studies, the Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Spain, published in 1811, is sketchy about a number of things, but is adamant about what?
8. The chances against Panama being selected as the location for a canal over Nicaragua are reportedly 100 to 1, until what two events occur?
9. What takes place in Havana, Cuba, during the Spanish-American War of 1898 that encourages Theodore Roosevelt in his zeal for a canal in Central America?
10. What are some of the problems author David McCullouch finds Ferdinand de Lesseps has as being key to his failure?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)