|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
(a) Chagres fever.
(d) Yellow fever.
2. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
(a) The Union Pacific Railroad Company.
(b) The Panama Railroad Company.
(c) The San Francisco-Boston Railway.
(d) The Panama Steam Line Corporation.
3. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
(a) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astrological observations.
(b) To gather germanic and botswanic specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(c) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(d) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the naratives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
4. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
(a) $20 million.
(b) $40 million.
(c) $60 million.
(d) $80 million.
5. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
(b) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
(c) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
(d) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
2. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
3. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
4. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
5. On May 2, 1902, the second key swaying event following the Morgan Committee reports is Mount Pelye exploding on Martinique; how far away and how many killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the problems author David McCullouch finds Ferdinand de Lesseps has as being key to his failure?
2. Who is Rear Adm. John Grimes Walker?
3. What do you find to be Ferdinand de Lesseps' most interesting characteristic and why?
4. What are the essential elements, pros and cons, to A.G. Menocal's canal proposal?
5. What do Ferdinand de Lesseps and his companions find in Panama City?
6. What increases the impetus to build a canal, and why?
7. What is the situation like in Panama when Phillippe Banau-Varilla is appointed acting director of the French project?
8. How is the work organized under the French?
9. How do the French account for 1/3 of all their canal digging?
10. What is notable about the date of October 20, 1893?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)