|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
(a) Continues his building career.
(b) Gives up his building career.
(c) Becomes a politician in Greenland.
(d) Takes his building career to the U.S.
2. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
(a) Comic schemer.
(b) Crusader for Scientific Truth.
(c) Salvager of "The Great Idea of Nicaragua."
(d) Ordained to restore the tarnished Colombian Honor.
3. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
(a) They state they are gathering the file, meanwhile have him make an offer.
(b) They say they did not get Walker's query and will get back to him.
(c) They cannot reply until after the annual July meeting.
(d) Offended by Cromwell's blunt cable, they fire him.
4. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
(a) H. B. Slaven.
(b) Charles de Lesseps.
(c) Philippe Banau-Varilla.
(d) Pierre Tirard.
5. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
2. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
4. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
5. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the Morgan Committee rejects the recommendations of the Walker Commission, what are the rumors that are circulating around Washington?
2. What are some of the problems author David McCullouch finds Ferdinand de Lesseps has as being key to his failure?
3. Among the earliest authoritative studies, the Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Spain, published in 1811, is sketchy about a number of things, but is adamant about what?
4. Why is it that Ferdinand de Lesseps takes on doing the Suez Canal?
5. In Chapter 1 of his book, David McCullough views a number of expeditions that were made in Central America in the early 19th-century looking for the ideal route, but what did he find as common to every canal proposal?
6. What increases the impetus to build a canal, and why?
7. What is notable about the date of October 20, 1893?
8. What is the most important committee, and how does Ferdinand de Lesseps steer it?
9. What is the situation like in Panama when Phillippe Banau-Varilla is appointed acting director of the French project?
10. What does the swindler Cornelius Herz do before he flees to France?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)