|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
(a) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(b) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the naratives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(c) To gather germanic and botswanic specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(d) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astrological observations.
2. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
(a) Equally difficult to Suez.
(b) Less difficult than Suez, just longer.
(c) Ten times more difficult than Suez.
(d) Twice as difficult as Suez.
3. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
(a) Ordained to restore the tarnished Colombian Honor.
(b) Salvager of "The Great Idea of Nicaragua."
(c) Comic schemer.
(d) Crusader for Scientific Truth.
4. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
(a) J. C. Rodrigues.
(b) Paul Leroy-Beaulieu.
(c) Henri Marechal.
(d) Lyon Boyer.
5. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
(a) Civil suit for damages.
(b) Both a civil suit and criminal trial.
(c) Criminal trial.
(d) Improbable cause for civil or criminal action.
Short Answer Questions
1. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
2. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
3. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
4. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
5. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the reasons Admiral Ammen opposes the official U.S. plan?
2. How do the French account for 1/3 of all their canal digging?
3. What does the swindler Cornelius Herz do before he flees to France?
4. Why is it that Ferdinand de Lesseps takes on doing the Suez Canal?
5. What is the result of Gaston Blanchet's proposal for a 400' wide swath to ease surveying?
6. What increases the impetus to build a canal, and why?
7. Why is it yellow fever causes instant panic in comparison to other tropical diseases?
8. The chances against Panama being selected as the location for a canal over Nicaragua are reportedly 100 to 1, until what two events occur?
9. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps accomplish between the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris and sailing for Panama in December that year?
10. As the Morgan Committee rejects the recommendations of the Walker Commission, what are the rumors that are circulating around Washington?
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)