|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
2. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
(a) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President James A. Garfield.
(b) Chief of Navigational Planning, Vice Admiral T. J. Miller; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(c) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(d) Director of Naval Archives, Christian Francis Stephenson; Secretary of State William Evarts; and Ulysses S. Grant.
3. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
(b) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
(c) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
(d) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
4. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Jules Flachet.
(b) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(c) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
5. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
Short Answer Questions
1. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
3. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
4. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
5. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the reasons Admiral Ammen opposes the official U.S. plan?
2. What is the situation like in Panama when Phillippe Banau-Varilla is appointed acting director of the French project?
3. In Chapter 1 of his book, David McCullough views a number of expeditions that were made in Central America in the early 19th-century looking for the ideal route, but what did he find as common to every canal proposal?
4. What increases the impetus to build a canal, and why?
5. Who is Rear Adm. John Grimes Walker?
6. What is the professional path for potential French civil engineers in the 19th-century?
7. In mid-November 1887, what sort of new locks does Ferdinand de Lesseps state Alexandre Gustava Eiffel will be designing and building?
8. What do Ferdinand de Lesseps and his companions find in Panama City?
9. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps accomplish between the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris and sailing for Panama in December that year?
10. What is the subtitle for Chapter 3, "Consensus of One," a reference to?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)