|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
(a) Compagnie Universelle Investigatie Committee.
(b) De Lesseps Investigative Committee.
(c) Panama Investigative Committee.
(d) Committee of Thirty-Three.
2. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
(a) Nicaragua's recurring forest fires.
(b) Panama's lack of volcanoes.
(c) Nicaragua's political uneasiness.
(d) Panama's lack of pending revolution.
3. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt's friendship with Cromwell.
(b) Cromwell is a good cook.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt's interest in Cromwell's views.
(d) Cromwell's effectiveness.
4. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
(b) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
(c) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
(d) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
5. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
(a) In 1875 when he announces his interest in an interoceanic canal.
(b) During the ten-month 1870-1871 Franco-German War.
(c) Upon the 1869 opening of his lockless Suez Canal.
(d) His foundation of the Sociyty Civile Internationale du Canal Interocyanique de Darien.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first event after the Morgan Commission that changes in favor of Panama, is Theodore Roosevelt reading news of how an audience, of civil engineers listening to Irving M. Scott in New York, does what?
2. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
3. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
4. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
5. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation like in Panama when Phillippe Banau-Varilla is appointed acting director of the French project?
2. Among the earliest authoritative studies, the Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Spain, published in 1811, is sketchy about a number of things, but is adamant about what?
3. What is the most important committee, and how does Ferdinand de Lesseps steer it?
4. It is stated the Navy recalls 1850 because Lt. Isaac Strain and his party nearly perish trying to locate a path at Darien, yet what are other reasons beyond that?
5. What do you find to be Ferdinand de Lesseps' most interesting characteristic and why?
6. What are the essential elements, pros and cons, to A.G. Menocal's canal proposal?
7. How is the work organized under the French?
8. What is notable about the date of October 20, 1893?
9. Who are the three prominent directors of the Turr Syndicate and what are their backgrounds?
10. What is the subtitle for Chapter 3, "Consensus of One," a reference to?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)