|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
(a) Connecting the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans.
(b) Exploring for a Navigable Route; An Approach to Connect the East and West in a Practical Manner.
(c) Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Span.
(d) Joining the West with the East, a Nineteenth Century Essay.
2. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
(a) The Orient Express.
(b) The Suez Highway.
(c) The European-East Asian Transcontinental Highway.
(d) The Suez Canal.
3. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
(b) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
(c) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
(d) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
4. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
5. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
(b) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
(c) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
(d) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
Short Answer Questions
1. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
2. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
3. Theodore Roosevelt is in what position when he initially thrusts himself into shaping policy for an American canal?
4. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps accomplish between the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris and sailing for Panama in December that year?
2. In mid-November 1887, what sort of new locks does Ferdinand de Lesseps state Alexandre Gustava Eiffel will be designing and building?
3. Why is it yellow fever causes instant panic in comparison to other tropical diseases?
4. Who are the three prominent directors of the Turr Syndicate and what are their backgrounds?
5. What transpires when newspaper headlines proclaim the "Great Canal Crash" to readers around the world?
6. What are some of the problems author David McCullouch finds Ferdinand de Lesseps has as being key to his failure?
7. Why is it that Ferdinand de Lesseps takes on doing the Suez Canal?
8. What increases the impetus to build a canal, and why?
9. What is notable about the date of October 20, 1893?
10. Briefly, who is Edouard Drumont?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)