|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Rio Obispo.
(b) Panama River.
(c) Chagres River.
(d) Rio Grande.
2. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(b) States it requires only minor modifications.
(c) Declares the whole thing impractical.
(d) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
(a) Comparable to all U.S. care givers.
(b) Comparable in many respects to all U.S. care givers.
(c) Behind all U.S. care givers.
(d) Ahead of all U.S. care givers.
4. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
(a) Nicaragua's political uneasiness.
(b) Panama's lack of pending revolution.
(c) Nicaragua's recurring forest fires.
(d) Panama's lack of volcanoes.
5. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
(a) Henri Bionnr.
(b) Lieutenant Reclus.
(c) Abel Couvreux.
(d) Gaston Blanchet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
2. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
3. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
4. Both Napoleonic types, Philippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell are the "Panama Lobby" spokesmen, the latter a corporate lawyer with a mystery reputation who pulls strings, what is his motto?
5. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
Short Essay Questions
1. It is stated the Navy recalls 1850 because Lt. Isaac Strain and his party nearly perish trying to locate a path at Darien, yet what are other reasons beyond that?
2. What are some of the problems author David McCullouch finds Ferdinand de Lesseps has as being key to his failure?
3. What increases the impetus to build a canal, and why?
4. What is the most important committee, and how does Ferdinand de Lesseps steer it?
5. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps accomplish between the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris and sailing for Panama in December that year?
6. How can the early years of the Companie Universele be described?
7. What is notable about the date of October 20, 1893?
8. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps and those accompanying him encounter at Barbacoas?
9. What do you find to be Ferdinand de Lesseps' most interesting characteristic and why?
10. What is Colon like, where Ferdinant de Lesseps' entourage begins their journey in Panama?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)