|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
(a) They say they did not get Walker's query and will get back to him.
(b) They state they are gathering the file, meanwhile have him make an offer.
(c) Offended by Cromwell's blunt cable, they fire him.
(d) They cannot reply until after the annual July meeting.
2. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Rio Obispo.
(b) Panama River.
(c) Chagres River.
(d) Rio Grande.
3. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
(a) He will complete the survey required by the Wyse Concession.
(b) The survey requirement of the Wyse Concession is void.
(c) He will depart for Panama with a team of experts by October 1879.
(d) A double return within three years is guaranteed.
4. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
5. To eliminate rumors he is terminally ill, Ferdinand de Lesseps goes where?
(a) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
(b) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
(c) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
(d) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
2. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
4. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
5. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can the early years of the Companie Universele be described?
2. What is the professional path for potential French civil engineers in the 19th-century?
3. In Chapter 1 of his book, David McCullough views a number of expeditions that were made in Central America in the early 19th-century looking for the ideal route, but what did he find as common to every canal proposal?
4. As the Morgan Committee rejects the recommendations of the Walker Commission, what are the rumors that are circulating around Washington?
5. As hard as they work, what are some of the problems the French engineers encounter?
6. How is the work organized under the French?
7. Briefly, who is Edouard Drumont?
8. What is notable about the date of October 20, 1893?
9. In mid-November 1887, what sort of new locks does Ferdinand de Lesseps state Alexandre Gustava Eiffel will be designing and building?
10. What takes place in Havana, Cuba, during the Spanish-American War of 1898 that encourages Theodore Roosevelt in his zeal for a canal in Central America?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)