|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jaques de Reinach is the "Micros" article's inside source, but Ydouard Drumont denies testifying, unless he is pardoned for what type of conviction keeping him in prison?
2. To eliminate rumors he is terminally ill, Ferdinand de Lesseps goes where?
(a) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
(b) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
(c) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
(d) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
3. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
(a) Twice as difficult as Suez.
(b) Equally difficult to Suez.
(c) Less difficult than Suez, just longer.
(d) Ten times more difficult than Suez.
4. Theodore Roosevelt is in what position when he initially thrusts himself into shaping policy for an American canal?
(a) Former president.
(c) Governor of New York.
(d) Governor of North Dakota.
5. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
(a) Ordained to restore the tarnished Colombian Honor.
(b) Salvager of "The Great Idea of Nicaragua."
(c) Comic schemer.
(d) Crusader for Scientific Truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
2. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
3. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
4. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
5. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What critical things transpire in regard to the French canal project in July 1886?
2. Why is it that Ferdinand de Lesseps takes on doing the Suez Canal?
3. Why is it yellow fever causes instant panic in comparison to other tropical diseases?
4. What do you find to be Ferdinand de Lesseps' most interesting characteristic and why?
5. In Chapter 1 of his book, David McCullough views a number of expeditions that were made in Central America in the early 19th-century looking for the ideal route, but what did he find as common to every canal proposal?
6. What are the essential elements, pros and cons, to A.G. Menocal's canal proposal?
7. What are some of the problems author David McCullouch finds Ferdinand de Lesseps has as being key to his failure?
8. How does the press report the situation three weeks subsequent to the fire destroying Colon?
9. What is notable about the date of October 20, 1893?
10. As the Morgan Committee rejects the recommendations of the Walker Commission, what are the rumors that are circulating around Washington?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)