|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
(a) Over 50%.
2. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
(a) They say they did not get Walker's query and will get back to him.
(b) They state they are gathering the file, meanwhile have him make an offer.
(c) They cannot reply until after the annual July meeting.
(d) Offended by Cromwell's blunt cable, they fire him.
3. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
(a) Herne, Slaven & Co. (later American Contracting and Dredging Co.).
(b) Compagnie Nouvelle de Canal de Panama.
(c) Slaven & Herne Dredging & Contracting, Inc.
(d) Compagnie Universal de Panama.
4. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
(b) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
(c) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(d) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
5. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
(a) The Atlantic and Pacific Accord.
(b) The Bidlack Treaty.
(c) The Panama Canal Charter.
(d) The Panamanian Isthmus Pact.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
2. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
3. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
4. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
5. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is notable about the date of October 20, 1893?
2. What is the most important committee, and how does Ferdinand de Lesseps steer it?
3. How is the work organized under the French?
4. In Chapter 1 of his book, David McCullough views a number of expeditions that were made in Central America in the early 19th-century looking for the ideal route, but what did he find as common to every canal proposal?
5. What does the swindler Cornelius Herz do before he flees to France?
6. Among the earliest authoritative studies, the Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Spain, published in 1811, is sketchy about a number of things, but is adamant about what?
7. In mid-November 1887, what sort of new locks does Ferdinand de Lesseps state Alexandre Gustava Eiffel will be designing and building?
8. What are the two routes U.S. proponents of a Central American canal fight for?
9. What critical things transpire in regard to the French canal project in July 1886?
10. It is stated the Navy recalls 1850 because Lt. Isaac Strain and his party nearly perish trying to locate a path at Darien, yet what are other reasons beyond that?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)