|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
(a) The Bidlack Treaty.
(b) The Atlantic and Pacific Accord.
(c) The Panamanian Isthmus Pact.
(d) The Panama Canal Charter.
2. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
(a) The European-East Asian Transcontinental Highway.
(b) The Suez Highway.
(c) The Orient Express.
(d) The Suez Canal.
3. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The Nicaraguans.
(c) The Hawaiians.
(d) The Colombians.
4. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
(b) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
(c) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
(d) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
5. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
(a) It will be easier than Suez, but take longer.
(b) It will be no harder than Suez.
(c) It will be more difficult than Suez.
(d) It will be easier than Suez.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
2. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
3. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
4. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
5. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ferdinand de Lesseps and his companions find in Panama City?
2. Briefly, who is Edouard Drumont?
3. What is Colon like, where Ferdinant de Lesseps' entourage begins their journey in Panama?
4. What is the subtitle for Chapter 3, "Consensus of One," a reference to?
5. What are the essential elements, pros and cons, to A.G. Menocal's canal proposal?
6. Among the earliest authoritative studies, the Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Spain, published in 1811, is sketchy about a number of things, but is adamant about what?
7. How is the work organized under the French?
8. What are the two routes U.S. proponents of a Central American canal fight for?
9. What takes place in Havana, Cuba, during the Spanish-American War of 1898 that encourages Theodore Roosevelt in his zeal for a canal in Central America?
10. In Chapter 1 of his book, David McCullough views a number of expeditions that were made in Central America in the early 19th-century looking for the ideal route, but what did he find as common to every canal proposal?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)