|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
(a) Initially arresting and jailing Ferdinand and Charles de Lesseps.
(b) Audit and interrogation of the former company.
(c) Arrest and jailing of former company officers.
(d) Arrest and jailing of Ydouard Drumont.
2. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
(a) First of several French master plans in Panama.
(b) The only French master plan to be had in Panama.
(c) A design for huge dam with 30% steeper banks.
(d) A plan to eliminate requirement for high laborer requirement.
3. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
(a) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal but economical progress, and reasonable logistical and natural challenges.
(b) Low hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal and costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(c) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(d) Cautious hopes, honest promotion, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
4. Due to continuing slides, the "total cube" of the cut steadily increases, until it appears necessary for the top of the cut to be how far wide to achieve a mathematically stable 1:4 ratio?
(a) 1 mile.
(b) 1/2 mile.
(c) 3/4 mile.
(d) 4/5 mile.
5. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
(b) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
(c) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
Short Answer Questions
1. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
2. A sea-level canal built at Panama is just impossible, and using 1880s equipment, the lock canal approach maximizes what?
3. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
4. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the Morgan Committee rejects the recommendations of the Walker Commission, what are the rumors that are circulating around Washington?
2. In mid-November 1887, what sort of new locks does Ferdinand de Lesseps state Alexandre Gustava Eiffel will be designing and building?
3. Briefly, who is Edouard Drumont?
4. What critical things transpire in regard to the French canal project in July 1886?
5. How is the work organized under the French?
6. What is the subtitle for Chapter 3, "Consensus of One," a reference to?
7. What is the most important committee, and how does Ferdinand de Lesseps steer it?
8. What is the situation like in Panama when Phillippe Banau-Varilla is appointed acting director of the French project?
9. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps accomplish between the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris and sailing for Panama in December that year?
10. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps and those accompanying him encounter at Barbacoas?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)