|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
(a) Using planks.
(b) By ferry.
(d) By canoe.
2. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
(a) Some 32,000 lives.
(b) Some 22,000.
(c) Some 42,000 lives.
(d) Some 12,000.
3. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
(a) Phillipe Bunau-Varilla.
(b) William Kimball.
(c) Jaques Jonett.
(d) Alexander de Duponte.
4. Why is it nearly impossible in the early stages of canal construction to maintain an adequate work force?
(a) High illness rate.
(b) Language differences.
(c) Frequent turnover.
(d) High death toll.
5. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
2. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
3. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
4. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
5. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the work organized under the French?
2. What role does Chicago Times-Herald reporter Walter Wellman play in the Central American canal scenario?
3. What do you find to be Ferdinand de Lesseps' most interesting characteristic and why?
4. Who are the three prominent directors of the Turr Syndicate and what are their backgrounds?
5. What increases the impetus to build a canal, and why?
6. What is the result of Gaston Blanchet's proposal for a 400' wide swath to ease surveying?
7. What does the swindler Cornelius Herz do before he flees to France?
8. What are the reasons Admiral Ammen opposes the official U.S. plan?
9. In mid-November 1887, what sort of new locks does Ferdinand de Lesseps state Alexandre Gustava Eiffel will be designing and building?
10. Among the earliest authoritative studies, the Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Spain, published in 1811, is sketchy about a number of things, but is adamant about what?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)