|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
2. On May 2, 1902, the second key swaying event following the Morgan Committee reports is Mount Pelye exploding on Martinique; how far away and how many killed?
(a) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 30,000 killed.
(b) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
(c) 150 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
(d) 3,000 miles from Nicaragua, 15,000 killed.
3. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
(a) Twice as difficult as Suez.
(b) Ten times more difficult than Suez.
(c) Equally difficult to Suez.
(d) Less difficult than Suez, just longer.
4. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
(b) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
(c) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
(d) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
5. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
(a) Civil suit for damages.
(b) Both a civil suit and criminal trial.
(c) Criminal trial.
(d) Improbable cause for civil or criminal action.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
2. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
3. A sea-level canal built at Panama is just impossible, and using 1880s equipment, the lock canal approach maximizes what?
4. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
5. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
Short Essay Questions
1. The chances against Panama being selected as the location for a canal over Nicaragua are reportedly 100 to 1, until what two events occur?
2. What is the situation like in Panama when Phillippe Banau-Varilla is appointed acting director of the French project?
3. Who are the three prominent directors of the Turr Syndicate and what are their backgrounds?
4. How do the French account for 1/3 of all their canal digging?
5. Briefly, who is Edouard Drumont?
6. What do you find to be Ferdinand de Lesseps' most interesting characteristic and why?
7. What is the professional path for potential French civil engineers in the 19th-century?
8. What role does Chicago Times-Herald reporter Walter Wellman play in the Central American canal scenario?
9. What is the subtitle for Chapter 3, "Consensus of One," a reference to?
10. Among the earliest authoritative studies, the Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Spain, published in 1811, is sketchy about a number of things, but is adamant about what?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)