|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
(d) Over 50%.
2. The Morgan Committee rejects the Walker Commission recommendations, the Senate debates the issues for two weeks, and Mt. Pelye's explosion and a Nicaraguan stamp turn odds how?
(a) 75-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(b) 10-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(c) 100-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(d) 50-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
3. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
(a) The party is a total loss.
(b) They nearly perishes.
(c) The party is successful with no loss of life.
(d) The party identifies two locations deemed viable.
4. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
(a) Chagres River.
(b) Rio Grande.
(c) Panama River.
(d) Rio Obispo.
5. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
(a) Rutherford B. Hayes.
(b) Andrew Johnson.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Ulysses S. Grant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
2. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
3. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
4. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
5. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
Short Essay Questions
1. Among the earliest authoritative studies, the Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Spain, published in 1811, is sketchy about a number of things, but is adamant about what?
2. What are the reasons Admiral Ammen opposes the official U.S. plan?
3. What does Ferdinand de Lesseps and those accompanying him encounter at Barbacoas?
4. It is stated the Navy recalls 1850 because Lt. Isaac Strain and his party nearly perish trying to locate a path at Darien, yet what are other reasons beyond that?
5. Why is it yellow fever causes instant panic in comparison to other tropical diseases?
6. Why does Ferdinand de Lesseps lose interest in the Suez Canal?
7. How can the early years of the Companie Universele be described?
8. What is the most important committee, and how does Ferdinand de Lesseps steer it?
9. What do you find to be Ferdinand de Lesseps' most interesting characteristic and why?
10. What are some of the problems author David McCullouch finds Ferdinand de Lesseps has as being key to his failure?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)