|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The great dam at Gatun, that is 15 times wider at the base than it is high, is how difficult to construct?
(a) Moderately hard.
(b) Surprisingly easy.
(c) Almost impossible.
(d) Unbelievably difficult.
2. Panama Patchwork is a publication by James Stanley Gilbert containing what?
(a) A daily newspaper designed for a black audience.
(b) A magazine arising in competition with George W. Goethals' Canal Record.
(c) Poems about disease, alcoholism, death, futility.
(d) A Sunday newspaper with letters, poetry, stories, other contributions.
3. When is the Hay-Herran Treaty signed?
(a) January 21, 1903.
(b) April 23, 1903.
(c) February 21, 1903.
(d) March 21, 1903.
4. Who orders commissaries established immediately, even if this will violate agreements with Panama?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) William Howard Taft.
(c) Theodore Perry Shonts.
(d) John Stevens.
5. Theodore Roosevelt declares he would have recommended the Congress take possession of the isthmus had the Panamanians not revolted, as which nation is not a responsible power?
6. Social life in the Canal Zone during George W. Goethals' era is best described how?
(a) Equal for white majority and black minority.
(b) Idyllic for white majority, hellish for black minority.
(c) Equal for white minority and the black majority.
(d) Idyllic for white minority, hellish for black majority.
7. How many times does Theodore Roosevelt return to Panama to see the canal?
8. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
9. Dr. William Henry Welch of Johns Hopkins Medical School convinces Theodore Roosevelt to assign a sanitary officer. Why is Welch's former student, William Crawford Gorgas, chosen?
(a) He survived yellow fever, making him immune to it thereafter.
(b) He is the most senior U.S. medical officer with experience in the jungle.
(c) He is the foremost U.S. authority on tropical disease.
(d) His mentor was General Walter Reed, a senior U.S. Army physician.
10. William Cromwell, on June 13, 1903, leaks to the New York World paper he had a talk with Theodore Roosevelt about recognizing a secessionist Republic of Panama should what continue?
(a) Colombia not dealing fairly with Chile.
(b) Colombia being greedy.
(c) Colombia ignoring Panama's king.
(d) Nicaragua sending forces into Panama.
11. William Crawford Gorgas gathers data on how weather and topography affect Anopheles mosquitoes that transmit malarial parasite to humans, and discovers what?
(a) Direct sunlight, rain, and strong air currents have no effect on them.
(b) Direct sunlight and strong air currents are lethal to them, rain is not.
(c) Direct sunlight and rain are lethal to them, strong air currents are not.
(d) Direct sunlight, rain, and strong air currents are lethal to them.
12. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
13. The Canal Record, reliable in most respects, includes nothing about what?
(a) Politics, government, or budgeting of the canal project.
(b) Divorce, alcoholism, abuse or addiction to drugs, or other negative topics.
(c) Black weddings, social affairs, births, and obituaries.
(d) Deaths or illnesses of any kind within the Canal Zone.
14. A Panamanian National Constitutional Convention is held on January 15, 1904, and a National Assembly elects whom as President?
(a) Jose Agustin Arango.
(b) Carlos Constantino Arosemena.
(c) Manuel Amador.
(d) Maurice Banau-Varilla.
15. Theodore Roosevelt times his visit to experience it when?
(a) Height of dry season.
(b) Height of rainy season.
(c) Between Christmas and New Year's Eve.
(d) Panama's Revolution Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
2. Transfer of the Canal Zone on May 4, 1904, is not ceremonial as Lieutenant Mark Brooke receives keys to the storehouses and hospital, signs a receipt, and the U.S. flag is raised where?
3. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
4. Crews respond by competing how to top the published excavation statistics?
5. In a special message to Congress on January 4, 1904, Theodore Roosevelt claims what nation violates a U.S. mandate to build the canal, the "great design" of the 1846 treaty to secure its construction?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)