|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
(a) William N. Cromwell.
(b) Charles F. Magoon.
(c) John Findley Wallace.
(d) Theodore Perry Shonts.
2. "The Man with the Sun in His Eyes," the subtitle for Chapter 18, refers to Theodore Roosevelt's 1906 visit to the isthmus, where he takes everything in how?
(a) It was his initial experience outside the U.S.
(b) Blinded by the sprucing up for his viewing.
(c) Absorbing all during the daytime.
(d) With childlike enthusiasm.
3. When William Howard Taft succeeds Theodore Roosevelt in 1909, the canal project is how far completed?
4. Crews respond by competing how to top the published excavation statistics?
5. A Panamanian National Constitutional Convention is held on January 15, 1904, and a National Assembly elects whom as President?
(a) Carlos Constantino Arosemena.
(b) Maurice Banau-Varilla.
(c) Jose Agustin Arango.
(d) Manuel Amador.
6. Who pays Colombia $25 million in indemnities in 1925?
(a) Woodrow Wilson.
(b) Warren G. Harding.
(c) William Howard Taft.
(d) Calvin Coolidge.
7. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
(a) July 26, 1904.
(b) July 26, 1905.
(c) December 15, 1906.
(d) December 15, 1905.
8. John F. Wallace has a job offer he cannot say "no" to, but William H. Taft feels betrayed as he tailored the new ICC to his wishes, and confronts him to dress him down and demand a resignation where?
(a) New York.
(b) Panama City.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Washington, D.C.
9. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
10. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
11. How many years does it take to build the locks?
12. No sitting President has left the country before, so what is the reaction when Theodore Roosevelt announces he will visit Panama?
(a) Great excitement.
(b) Uncertainty in the U.S.
(c) No concern for or against in Panama.
(d) Limited support or approval.
13. Who serves as quartermaster general during World War I, finishes his career on Wall Street, and is buried at West Point in 1928?
(a) John Stevens.
(b) Theodore Perry Shonts.
(c) George W. Goethals.
(d) John Findley Wallace.
14. In a special message to Congress on January 4, 1904, Theodore Roosevelt claims what nation violates a U.S. mandate to build the canal, the "great design" of the 1846 treaty to secure its construction?
15. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
Short Answer Questions
1. John Walker does not accept the mosquito theory and insists the solution is what?
2. What three men is the lock design and engineering largely the work of?
3. Theodore Roosevelt times his visit to experience it when?
4. Who outmaneuvers the Panamanians into giving the U.S. greater rights in the Canal Zone than it wants?
5. The Wallace/Stevens departmental system is replaced by what?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)