|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Theodore Roosevelt's ship arrives in Panama a day early, so as not to ruin John Steven's schedule, the Presidential party agrees to stay on board overnight, but in the morning the welcoming party finds what?
(a) Roosevelt's ship gone from port.
(b) Roosevelt having breakfast at a hotel.
(c) Roosevelt ashore exploring the waterfront.
(d) Rosevelt in the jungle on a hunting expedition.
2. A worker dies of bubonic plague on July 3, 1905, and William Crawford Gorgas immediately orders a campaign to eradicate what?
(c) Stray dogs and cats.
(d) All rodents.
3. When Phillippe Banau-Varilla resigns as Panamanian envoy, resumes publishing Le Matin, and asks the salary due him be reserved to build a monument to whom?
(a) John Stevens.
(b) Thomas Roosevelt.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
4. A movement begins in Panama in July 1903, as 25-26 gather to talk revolution, including which leaders?
(a) Phillippe Banau-Varilla, Jose Agustin Arango, and Carlos Constantino Arosemena.
(b) Phillippe Banau-Varilla, Jose Agustin Arango, and Henry G. Prescott.
(c) William Cromwell, Phillippe Banau-Varilla, and Carlos Constantino Arosemena.
(d) Jose Agustin Arango, Carlos Constantino Arosemena, and Herbert G. Prescott.
5. What three men is the lock design and engineering largely the work of?
(a) Lieutenant Colonel Hodges, Edward Schildhauer, and Henry Goldmark.
(b) Edward Schildhauer, Henry Goldmark, and William H. Welch.
(c) George W. Goethals, Henry Goldmark, and Lt. Col. Hodges.
(d) Charles de Lesseps, Edward Schildhauer, and Henry Goldmark.
6. John Stevens feels the Panama Canal can be completed by January 1914, but doubts a sea- level version can be prior to what year?
7. Theodore Roosevelt times his visit to experience it when?
(a) Panama's Revolution Day.
(b) Between Christmas and New Year's Eve.
(c) Height of rainy season.
(d) Height of dry season.
8. Who is hired as America's first chief engineer for the canal project, with the understanding he need not move to the isthmus?
(a) George W. Goethals.
(b) John Findley Wallace.
(c) John Stevens.
(d) Theodore Perry Shonts.
9. When Josy Vincente Concha resigns in nervous exhaustion, he is replaced by career diplomat Tomas Herran, fluent in English and popular in Washington, and Herran proves to be what?
(a) More cautious than the State Department hoped.
(b) Equally cautious as Concha.
(c) Far less cautious than the State Department expected.
(d) Less cautious than the State Department anticipated.
10. Who pays Colombia $25 million in indemnities in 1925?
(a) Calvin Coolidge.
(b) Warren G. Harding.
(c) Woodrow Wilson.
(d) William Howard Taft.
11. "Adventure by Trigonometry" is the subtitle of Chapter 12, detailing how the U.S. moves from what to what?
(a) Talking with Panama, but covertly readying support for a revolution there.
(b) Talking with Colombia, but covertly readying support for Panamanian revolution.
(c) Talking with Nicaragua, but covertly readying support for Panamanian revolution.
(d) Talking with Panama, but covertly readying support for Colombian revolution.
12. The Canal Record, reliable in most respects, includes nothing about what?
(a) Politics, government, or budgeting of the canal project.
(b) Deaths or illnesses of any kind within the Canal Zone.
(c) Black weddings, social affairs, births, and obituaries.
(d) Divorce, alcoholism, abuse or addiction to drugs, or other negative topics.
13. Crews respond by competing how to top the published excavation statistics?
14. How have George W. Goethals' successors followed his aesthetic and military decision by allowing the jungle to get how close to the shore?
(a) Maintain a 25-meter barrier.
(b) Maintain a 100-meter barrier.
(c) Return to the shore.
(d) Maintain a 50-meter barrier.
15. What is the focus of attention in the final stages?
(a) Canal size.
(c) Improvement in conditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Theodore Roosevelt declares he would have recommended the Congress take possession of the isthmus had the Panamanians not revolted, as which nation is not a responsible power?
2. What is the key to the lock enterprise?
3. George W. Goethals starts a weekly newspaper, the Canal Record, for what purpose?
4. What does Theodore Roosevelt stress in his autobiography as to his action in Panama?.
5. Transfer of the Canal Zone on May 4, 1904, is not ceremonial as Lieutenant Mark Brooke receives keys to the storehouses and hospital, signs a receipt, and the U.S. flag is raised where?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)