|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does it take to build the locks?
2. Who orders commissaries established immediately, even if this will violate agreements with Panama?
(a) John Stevens.
(b) Theodore Perry Shonts.
(c) William Howard Taft.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
3. When Josy Vincente Concha resigns in nervous exhaustion, he is replaced by career diplomat Tomas Herran, fluent in English and popular in Washington, and Herran proves to be what?
(a) More cautious than the State Department hoped.
(b) Less cautious than the State Department anticipated.
(c) Equally cautious as Concha.
(d) Far less cautious than the State Department expected.
4. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
5. How many times does Theodore Roosevelt return to Panama to see the canal?
6. When William Howard Taft succeeds Theodore Roosevelt in 1909, the canal project is how far completed?
7. George W. Goethals allows employees to air grievances where?
(a) A summary court similar to lowest level of U.S. military three-level courts martial system.
(b) At the Sunday morning court of appeals and in the Canal Record letters to the editor.
(c) A Saturday three-man review board consisting of two supervisors and one equal level employee.
(d) The Canal Record letters to the editor.
8. Why, on November 1, 1903, do Manuel Amador and a colleague let Colonel James Shaler know Colombian troops are approaching?
(a) To get more troops transported in for support.
(b) To get more arms, supplies, and troops brought in.
(c) To get more arms and supplies brought in.
(d) To get rolling stock safely moved to Panama City.
9. William Crawford Gorgas gathers data on how weather and topography affect Anopheles mosquitoes that transmit malarial parasite to humans, and discovers what?
(a) Direct sunlight, rain, and strong air currents are lethal to them.
(b) Direct sunlight, rain, and strong air currents have no effect on them.
(c) Direct sunlight and strong air currents are lethal to them, rain is not.
(d) Direct sunlight and rain are lethal to them, strong air currents are not.
10. The Wallace/Stevens departmental system is replaced by what?
(a) Geological divisions with one atop another.
(b) Celestial, with each independent of another.
(c) Multiple-level class system as in Mexico.
(d) Geographic divisions as in the French period.
11. What is the main issue impeding fumigation in U.S. facilities?
(a) Lack of devices to dispense fumes.
(b) Lack of newsprint to seal buildings.
(c) Climate is too humid.
(d) Lack of chemical fumigants.
12. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
(a) Theodore Perry Shonts.
(b) Charles F. Magoon.
(c) William N. Cromwell.
(d) John Findley Wallace.
13. Who is hired as America's first chief engineer for the canal project, with the understanding he need not move to the isthmus?
(a) George W. Goethals.
(b) John Findley Wallace.
(c) Theodore Perry Shonts.
(d) John Stevens.
14. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
(a) December 15, 1906.
(b) July 26, 1904.
(c) December 15, 1905.
(d) July 26, 1905.
15. What is the focus of attention in the final stages?
(a) Improvement in conditions.
(d) Canal size.
Short Answer Questions
1. Transfer of the Canal Zone on May 4, 1904, is not ceremonial as Lieutenant Mark Brooke receives keys to the storehouses and hospital, signs a receipt, and the U.S. flag is raised where?
2. The great dam at Gatun, that is 15 times wider at the base than it is high, is how difficult to construct?
3. When is the Hay-Herran Treaty signed?
4. No sitting President has left the country before, so what is the reaction when Theodore Roosevelt announces he will visit Panama?
5. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)