|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Wallace/Stevens departmental system is replaced by what?
(a) Geographic divisions as in the French period.
(b) Multiple-level class system as in Mexico.
(c) Celestial, with each independent of another.
(d) Geological divisions with one atop another.
2. Who lives to read about the opening of the Panama Canal in their quiet retirements?
(a) Phillippe Banau-Varilla, Charles de Lesseps, and Dennis Hart Mahan.
(b) Charles de Lesseps, Dennis Hart Mahan, and Thomas O. Selfridge.
(c) Ferdinand de Lesseps, Charles de Lesseps, and Phillippe Banau-Varilla.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, and Phillippe Banau-Varilla.
3. John Stevens feels the Panama Canal can be completed by January 1914, but doubts a sea- level version can be prior to what year?
4. How have George W. Goethals' successors followed his aesthetic and military decision by allowing the jungle to get how close to the shore?
(a) Maintain a 50-meter barrier.
(b) Maintain a 25-meter barrier.
(c) Maintain a 100-meter barrier.
(d) Return to the shore.
5. Dr. William Henry Welch of Johns Hopkins Medical School convinces Theodore Roosevelt to assign a sanitary officer. Why is Welch's former student, William Crawford Gorgas, chosen?
(a) He is the most senior U.S. medical officer with experience in the jungle.
(b) He survived yellow fever, making him immune to it thereafter.
(c) He is the foremost U.S. authority on tropical disease.
(d) His mentor was General Walter Reed, a senior U.S. Army physician.
6. Panama Patchwork is a publication by James Stanley Gilbert containing what?
(a) A magazine arising in competition with George W. Goethals' Canal Record.
(b) Poems about disease, alcoholism, death, futility.
(c) A daily newspaper designed for a black audience.
(d) A Sunday newspaper with letters, poetry, stories, other contributions.
7. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
8. "The Man with the Sun in His Eyes," the subtitle for Chapter 18, refers to Theodore Roosevelt's 1906 visit to the isthmus, where he takes everything in how?
(a) With childlike enthusiasm.
(b) Absorbing all during the daytime.
(c) Blinded by the sprucing up for his viewing.
(d) It was his initial experience outside the U.S.
9. What is the main issue impeding fumigation in U.S. facilities?
(a) Lack of chemical fumigants.
(b) Climate is too humid.
(c) Lack of newsprint to seal buildings.
(d) Lack of devices to dispense fumes.
10. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
11. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
(a) John Findley Wallace.
(b) William N. Cromwell.
(c) Charles F. Magoon.
(d) Theodore Perry Shonts.
12. When William Howard Taft succeeds Theodore Roosevelt in 1909, the canal project is how far completed?
13. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
(a) December 15, 1905.
(b) December 15, 1906.
(c) July 26, 1904.
(d) July 26, 1905.
14. A worker dies of bubonic plague on July 3, 1905, and William Crawford Gorgas immediately orders a campaign to eradicate what?
(c) Stray dogs and cats.
(d) All rodents.
15. The Canal Record, reliable in most respects, includes nothing about what?
(a) Black weddings, social affairs, births, and obituaries.
(b) Politics, government, or budgeting of the canal project.
(c) Deaths or illnesses of any kind within the Canal Zone.
(d) Divorce, alcoholism, abuse or addiction to drugs, or other negative topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. George W. Goethals allows employees to air grievances where?
2. Theodore Roosevelt's ship arrives in Panama a day early, so as not to ruin John Steven's schedule, the Presidential party agrees to stay on board overnight, but in the morning the welcoming party finds what?
3. William Cromwell, on June 13, 1903, leaks to the New York World paper he had a talk with Theodore Roosevelt about recognizing a secessionist Republic of Panama should what continue?
4. In the fall of 1902 as discussions of Canal Zone sovereignty reach a critical point, civil war erupts on the Isthmus and Theodore Roosevelt takes what action?
5. The average death rate in the final year among whites is 2.06 per thousand, and what per thousand among blacks?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)