|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
(a) The London Bridge.
(b) The Statue of Liberty.
(c) The Washington Monument.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
2. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
(a) April 1, 1885.
(b) March 31, 1885.
(c) March 29, 1885.
(d) March 30, 1885.
3. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
(a) Comic schemer.
(b) Salvager of "The Great Idea of Nicaragua."
(c) Crusader for Scientific Truth.
(d) Ordained to restore the tarnished Colombian Honor.
4. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
5. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
(a) Chagres fever.
(c) Yellow fever.
6. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
(a) Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Span.
(b) Joining the West with the East, a Nineteenth Century Essay.
(c) Exploring for a Navigable Route; An Approach to Connect the East and West in a Practical Manner.
(d) Connecting the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans.
7. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
(a) Cmdr. George Burt moves the gunboat Shenandoah and takes control.
(b) Cmdr. William Connor moves the gunboat Tennessee and takes control.
(c) Cmdr. Joseph L. Dow moves the gunboat Wachusett and takes control.
(d) Cmdr. Theodore F. Kane moves the gunboat Galena and takes control.
8. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
(a) Cromwell is a good cook.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt's interest in Cromwell's views.
(c) Cromwell's effectiveness.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt's friendship with Cromwell.
9. A sea-level canal built at Panama is just impossible, and using 1880s equipment, the lock canal approach maximizes what?
(a) Technological, but not financial limits.
(b) Both technological and financial limits.
(c) Financial, but not technological limits.
(d) Neither technological nor financial limits.
10. Why is it nearly impossible in the early stages of canal construction to maintain an adequate work force?
(a) High death toll.
(b) Language differences.
(c) Frequent turnover.
(d) High illness rate.
11. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
(b) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
(c) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
(d) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
12. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
(b) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(c) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(d) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
13. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
(a) Dump trucks.
(c) Horses and wagons.
(d) Railway cars.
14. Theodore Roosevelt is in what position when he initially thrusts himself into shaping policy for an American canal?
(a) Governor of North Dakota.
(b) Governor of New York.
(d) Former president.
15. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
(a) It will be no harder than Suez.
(b) It will be easier than Suez.
(c) It will be more difficult than Suez.
(d) It will be easier than Suez, but take longer.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
2. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
3. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
4. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
5. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)