|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
(a) New York.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) New Orleans.
2. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
(a) No less than 11 years.
(b) No less than 10 years.
(c) Noless than 7 years.
(d) No less than 9 years.
3. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
(a) Andrew Johnson.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Rutherford B. Hayes.
(d) Ulysses S. Grant.
4. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
(a) East around the Horn of Africa, around South America, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
(b) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and through the Great Lakes and various western rivers of the North American continent.
(c) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
(d) Across the North American continent, over the Isthmus of Panama, and east through the Suez Canal.
5. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
(a) They nearly perishes.
(b) The party is successful with no loss of life.
(c) The party is a total loss.
(d) The party identifies two locations deemed viable.
6. What does Theodore Roosevelt state in his first message to Congress is the reason the U.S. must construct a canal in Central America for?
(a) It is key to U.S. naval supremacy.
(b) For commercial purposes.
(c) For humanitarian reasons.
(d) To rival Suez.
7. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
(a) Faster than expected in the dry season.
(b) Much faster than expected in the rainy season.
(c) Much slower than expected in the dry season.
(d) Slower than expected in the dry season.
8. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
(a) Specter warning against Americans getting mired in ruin.
(b) Advertisement drive promoting the Panama canal.
(c) Call to join the nation's project at Panama in support of the U.S. Navy.
(d) Bond drive in support of the Panamal canal.
9. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
(b) By ferry.
(c) Using planks.
(d) By canoe.
10. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
(b) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
(c) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
(d) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
11. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Charles de Lesseps, Director.
(b) Henri Bionne, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(c) Charles de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Henri Bionne, Director.
12. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
(a) Cromwell's effectiveness.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt's interest in Cromwell's views.
(c) Cromwell is a good cook.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt's friendship with Cromwell.
13. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Panama River.
(b) Rio Obispo.
(c) Chagres River.
(d) Rio Grande.
14. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
15. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
(a) The Union Pacific Railroad Company.
(b) The Panama Railroad Company.
(c) The Panama Steam Line Corporation.
(d) The San Francisco-Boston Railway.
Short Answer Questions
1. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
2. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
3. Jaques de Reinach is a nominal villain in comparison to whom?
4. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
5. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)