|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
(a) Christopher Columbus.
(b) Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
(c) Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.
(d) Hernando de Soto.
2. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
(a) Audit and interrogation of the former company.
(b) Arrest and jailing of former company officers.
(c) Initially arresting and jailing Ferdinand and Charles de Lesseps.
(d) Arrest and jailing of Ydouard Drumont.
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
(a) Modifications to dams used in Holland.
(b) Modifications for Nicaragua a decade prior.
(c) Modifications for Suez a decade prior.
(d) Unlike anything previously designed.
4. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
(a) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(b) Baron Istvan Turr, Commodore Jacques de Reinach, and Captain Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(c) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Commander Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(d) Colonel Istvan Turr, Lord Jacques de Reinach, and Admiral Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
(a) Comparable in many respects to all U.S. care givers.
(b) Comparable to all U.S. care givers.
(c) Ahead of all U.S. care givers.
(d) Behind all U.S. care givers.
6. Theodore Roosevelt is in what position when he initially thrusts himself into shaping policy for an American canal?
(b) Governor of North Dakota.
(c) Governor of New York.
(d) Former president.
7. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
(a) By ferry.
(b) Using planks.
(d) By canoe.
8. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
(b) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
(c) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
(d) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
9. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
(a) Panama's lack of volcanoes.
(b) Nicaragua's political uneasiness.
(c) Panama's lack of pending revolution.
(d) Nicaragua's recurring forest fires.
10. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
(b) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
(c) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
(d) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
11. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) Declares the whole thing impractical.
(b) States it requires only minor modifications.
(c) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(d) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
12. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(b) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
(c) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(d) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
13. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(b) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
(c) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
(d) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
14. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
(a) Both a civil suit and criminal trial.
(b) Civil suit for damages.
(c) Criminal trial.
(d) Improbable cause for civil or criminal action.
15. Armand Rousseau's report declares abandoning the Panama project will harm French prestige and advocates what?
(a) Abandon both the sea-level plan for a lock proposal, and that a lottery is insufficient.
(b) Adopt the lottery proposal, but abandon the sea-level plan.
(c) Continue with the sea-level plan.
(d) Keep the sea-level plan and adopt the lottery proposal.
Short Answer Questions
1. On May 2, 1902, the second key swaying event following the Morgan Committee reports is Mount Pelye exploding on Martinique; how far away and how many killed?
2. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
3. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
4. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
5. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)