|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
(b) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
(c) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
(d) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
2. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
(a) Rutherford B. Hayes.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Ulysses S. Grant.
(d) Andrew Johnson.
3. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
(b) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
(c) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
4. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
(a) Henri Bionnr.
(b) Gaston Blanchet.
(c) Abel Couvreux.
(d) Lieutenant Reclus.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(b) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
(c) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
(d) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
6. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
(a) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(b) Colonel Istvan Turr, Lord Jacques de Reinach, and Admiral Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(c) Baron Istvan Turr, Commodore Jacques de Reinach, and Captain Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(d) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Commander Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
7. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
8. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
(a) Jaques Jonett.
(b) William Kimball.
(c) Alexander de Duponte.
(d) Phillipe Bunau-Varilla.
9. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(b) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(d) He will inspect Panama personally.
10. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
(a) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(b) The Bureau of Science and Engineering (BSE).
(c) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(d) The Interoceanic Canal Commission (ICC).
11. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
(a) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(b) To gather germanic and botswanic specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(c) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the naratives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(d) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astrological observations.
12. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
(a) Modifications for Suez a decade prior.
(b) Modifications to dams used in Holland.
(c) Unlike anything previously designed.
(d) Modifications for Nicaragua a decade prior.
13. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
(a) It will be easier than Suez.
(b) It will be more difficult than Suez.
(c) It will be easier than Suez, but take longer.
(d) It will be no harder than Suez.
14. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
(a) The Atlantic-Pacific Steamship Company.
(b) The Union Pacific Steamship Corporation.
(c) The Intercontinental Steamship Company.
(d) The Pacific Mail Steamship Company.
15. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
2. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
3. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
4. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
5. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)