|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
(a) Every survey is flawed by inaccurate data and bad assumptions.
(b) Every survey is flawed by incorrect geographic surveys or lack of geological specimens.
(c) Every survey is flawed by lack of effort to gain accurate, applicable data.
(d) Every survey is flawed by failure to consider realistic astrological and geological considerations.
2. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
(a) A. G. Menocal.
(b) Armand Rycus.
(c) Gaston Blanchet.
(d) Baron de Lypinay.
3. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) All in new company stock.
(b) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(c) All in cash.
(d) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
4. Which President of the United States is assassinated in 1901?
(a) William Howard Taft.
(b) Grover Cleveland.
(c) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(d) William McKinley.
5. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(c) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(d) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
6. Sen. Spooner offers a Hepburn Bill amendment authorizing the President to acquire the Panama property and concessions for no more than $40 million, only if Colombia relinquishes what?
(a) A perpetual six-mile sovereignty zone.
(b) A perpetual twelve-mile sovereignty zone.
(c) A perpetual nine-mile sovereignty zone.
(d) A perpetual three-mile sovereignty zone,
7. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
8. Due to continuing slides, the "total cube" of the cut steadily increases, until it appears necessary for the top of the cut to be how far wide to achieve a mathematically stable 1:4 ratio?
(a) 1 mile.
(b) 1/2 mile.
(c) 3/4 mile.
(d) 4/5 mile.
9. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(b) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will inspect Panama personally.
(d) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
10. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
(a) Some 32,000 lives.
(b) Some 42,000 lives.
(c) Some 22,000.
(d) Some 12,000.
11. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
(a) The company finally achieves an embankment slide resolution.
(b) A restructuring of the company transpires.
(c) Company shares begin an upward shift.
(d) A liquidator is appointed.
12. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
(a) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal but economical progress, and reasonable logistical and natural challenges.
(b) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(c) Low hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal and costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(d) Cautious hopes, honest promotion, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
13. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt's interest in Cromwell's views.
(b) Cromwell's effectiveness.
(c) Cromwell is a good cook.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt's friendship with Cromwell.
14. To eliminate rumors he is terminally ill, Ferdinand de Lesseps goes where?
(a) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
(b) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
(c) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
(d) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
15. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Panama River.
(b) Rio Grande.
(c) Rio Obispo.
(d) Chagres River.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
2. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
3. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
4. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
5. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)