|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
(a) March 31, 1885.
(b) March 30, 1885.
(c) April 1, 1885.
(d) March 29, 1885.
2. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
(b) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
(c) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
3. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
(a) Joining the West with the East, a Nineteenth Century Essay.
(b) Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Span.
(c) Connecting the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans.
(d) Exploring for a Navigable Route; An Approach to Connect the East and West in a Practical Manner.
4. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
5. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Charles de Lesseps, Director.
(b) Charles de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(c) Henri Bionne, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Henri Bionne, Director.
6. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(b) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(d) He will inspect Panama personally.
7. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
(a) Eat no fruit.
(b) Leave the Isthmus quickly.
(c) Stay out of the hot sun.
(d) Avoid getting wet to protect against night air.
8. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
(a) Equally difficult to Suez.
(b) Less difficult than Suez, just longer.
(c) Ten times more difficult than Suez.
(d) Twice as difficult as Suez.
9. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
(a) Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) Rutherford B. Hayes.
(c) Andrew Johnson.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
10. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
(a) Committee of Thirty-Three.
(b) De Lesseps Investigative Committee.
(c) Panama Investigative Committee.
(d) Compagnie Universelle Investigatie Committee.
11. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
(a) It will be easier than Suez, but take longer.
(b) It will be no harder than Suez.
(c) It will be easier than Suez.
(d) It will be more difficult than Suez.
12. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
(a) Call to join the nation's project at Panama in support of the U.S. Navy.
(b) Advertisement drive promoting the Panama canal.
(c) Specter warning against Americans getting mired in ruin.
(d) Bond drive in support of the Panamal canal.
13. What does Theodore Roosevelt state in his first message to Congress is the reason the U.S. must construct a canal in Central America for?
(a) For commercial purposes.
(b) To rival Suez.
(c) For humanitarian reasons.
(d) It is key to U.S. naval supremacy.
14. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
(a) The Statue of Liberty.
(b) The Washington Monument.
(c) The London Bridge.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
15. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
(a) A liquidator is appointed.
(b) Company shares begin an upward shift.
(c) The company finally achieves an embankment slide resolution.
(d) A restructuring of the company transpires.
Short Answer Questions
1. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
2. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
3. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
4. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
5. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)