|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
(a) In 1875 when he announces his interest in an interoceanic canal.
(b) His foundation of the Sociyty Civile Internationale du Canal Interocyanique de Darien.
(c) During the ten-month 1870-1871 Franco-German War.
(d) Upon the 1869 opening of his lockless Suez Canal.
2. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
3. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(b) All in new company stock.
(c) All in cash.
(d) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
4. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(c) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(d) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
(b) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(c) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
(d) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
6. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
(a) The Bureau of Science and Engineering (BSE).
(b) The Interoceanic Canal Commission (ICC).
(c) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(d) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
7. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
(a) Ordained to restore the tarnished Colombian Honor.
(b) Salvager of "The Great Idea of Nicaragua."
(c) Comic schemer.
(d) Crusader for Scientific Truth.
8. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
(a) Every survey is flawed by inaccurate data and bad assumptions.
(b) Every survey is flawed by lack of effort to gain accurate, applicable data.
(c) Every survey is flawed by failure to consider realistic astrological and geological considerations.
(d) Every survey is flawed by incorrect geographic surveys or lack of geological specimens.
9. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(b) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will inspect Panama personally.
(d) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
10. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
(a) "Panama paranoia."
(b) "The French Connection."
(c) A "rotten project."
(d) The "endless mudslide."
11. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
(a) Some 22,000.
(b) Some 42,000 lives.
(c) Some 12,000.
(d) Some 32,000 lives.
12. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
(a) The only French master plan to be had in Panama.
(b) First of several French master plans in Panama.
(c) A design for huge dam with 30% steeper banks.
(d) A plan to eliminate requirement for high laborer requirement.
13. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
(b) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
(c) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
(d) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
14. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
(a) Leave the Isthmus quickly.
(b) Eat no fruit.
(c) Avoid getting wet to protect against night air.
(d) Stay out of the hot sun.
15. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
(a) Pierre Tirard.
(b) Charles de Lesseps.
(c) H. B. Slaven.
(d) Philippe Banau-Varilla.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
2. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
3. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
4. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
5. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)