|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
(a) Madame de Bonnemains' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(b) Ferdinand de Lesseps' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(c) Ydouard Drumont's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(d) General Boulanger's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
2. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) States it requires only minor modifications.
(b) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
(c) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(d) Declares the whole thing impractical.
3. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
(a) They say they did not get Walker's query and will get back to him.
(b) Offended by Cromwell's blunt cable, they fire him.
(c) They cannot reply until after the annual July meeting.
(d) They state they are gathering the file, meanwhile have him make an offer.
4. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
(a) Low hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal and costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(b) Cautious hopes, honest promotion, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(c) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(d) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal but economical progress, and reasonable logistical and natural challenges.
5. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
(b) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
(c) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
(d) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
6. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
(a) He will depart for Panama with a team of experts by October 1879.
(b) The survey requirement of the Wyse Concession is void.
(c) He will complete the survey required by the Wyse Concession.
(d) A double return within three years is guaranteed.
7. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
(a) The time it would take to complete a sea-level canal in Panama as it would elsewhere.
(b) The engineering complexities of a sea-level canal through Panama.
(c) The relief of the terrain.
(d) The full impact of the Chagres River.
8. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
9. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
(a) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(b) The Bureau of Science and Engineering (BSE).
(c) The Interoceanic Canal Commission (ICC).
(d) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
10. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
(b) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(c) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(d) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
11. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(b) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(c) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Jules Flachet.
12. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
(a) Panama River.
(b) Chagres River.
(c) Rio Obispo.
(d) Rio Grande.
13. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) New York.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) New Orleans.
14. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
(a) It will be easier than Suez, but take longer.
(b) It will be easier than Suez.
(c) It will be more difficult than Suez.
(d) It will be no harder than Suez.
15. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
(b) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(c) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(d) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sen. Spooner offers a Hepburn Bill amendment authorizing the President to acquire the Panama property and concessions for no more than $40 million, only if Colombia relinquishes what?
2. Jaques de Reinach is the "Micros" article's inside source, but Ydouard Drumont denies testifying, unless he is pardoned for what type of conviction keeping him in prison?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
4. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
5. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)