|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
(a) Over 50%.
2. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
(b) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
(c) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
(d) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
3. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(b) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will inspect Panama personally.
(d) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
(a) A liquidator is appointed.
(b) Company shares begin an upward shift.
(c) A restructuring of the company transpires.
(d) The company finally achieves an embankment slide resolution.
5. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
(a) On the railway platform to await a train to the cemetary when they die.
(b) On the floor in the basement.
(c) In coffins to await their end.
(d) Outside the hospital on the ground.
6. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(b) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(c) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
(d) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
7. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
(a) U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
(b) Railroad officials.
(c) "Seabees" (construction battalions of the Civil Engineer Corps of the U.S. Navy).
(d) French engineer officials.
8. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
(a) The Intercontinental Steamship Company.
(b) The Pacific Mail Steamship Company.
(c) The Atlantic-Pacific Steamship Company.
(d) The Union Pacific Steamship Corporation.
9. Sea supremacy has always been key to national and commercial greatness, and Theodore Roosevelt publishes The Naval War of 1812 while?
(a) A high school student.
(c) An undergraduate student.
(d) A graduate student.
10. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
11. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
(a) Every survey is flawed by inaccurate data and bad assumptions.
(b) Every survey is flawed by failure to consider realistic astrological and geological considerations.
(c) Every survey is flawed by incorrect geographic surveys or lack of geological specimens.
(d) Every survey is flawed by lack of effort to gain accurate, applicable data.
12. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
(a) Abel Couvreux.
(b) Lieutenant Reclus.
(c) Gaston Blanchet.
(d) Henri Bionnr.
13. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
(a) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(b) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal but economical progress, and reasonable logistical and natural challenges.
(c) Cautious hopes, honest promotion, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(d) Low hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal and costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
14. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
(a) Director of Naval Archives, Christian Francis Stephenson; Secretary of State William Evarts; and Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(c) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President James A. Garfield.
(d) Chief of Navigational Planning, Vice Admiral T. J. Miller; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
15. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(b) General Boulanger's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(c) Ydouard Drumont's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(d) Madame de Bonnemains' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
2. Sen. Spooner offers a Hepburn Bill amendment authorizing the President to acquire the Panama property and concessions for no more than $40 million, only if Colombia relinquishes what?
3. Theodore Roosevelt is in what position when he initially thrusts himself into shaping policy for an American canal?
4. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
5. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)