|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
(a) Madame de Bonnemains' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(b) Ydouard Drumont's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(c) General Boulanger's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
2. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
(b) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
(c) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
(d) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
3. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
(a) The Bureau of Science and Engineering (BSE).
(b) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(c) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(d) The Interoceanic Canal Commission (ICC).
4. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(b) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
(c) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
(d) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
5. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(b) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
(c) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(d) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
6. On May 2, 1902, the second key swaying event following the Morgan Committee reports is Mount Pelye exploding on Martinique; how far away and how many killed?
(a) 150 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
(b) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 30,000 killed.
(c) 3,000 miles from Nicaragua, 15,000 killed.
(d) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
7. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) All in cash.
(b) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(c) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(d) All in new company stock.
8. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
(a) Baron de Lypinay.
(b) A. G. Menocal.
(c) Gaston Blanchet.
(d) Armand Rycus.
9. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(c) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(d) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
10. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
11. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
(b) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
(c) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
(d) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
12. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
(a) Bond drive in support of the Panamal canal.
(b) Specter warning against Americans getting mired in ruin.
(c) Call to join the nation's project at Panama in support of the U.S. Navy.
(d) Advertisement drive promoting the Panama canal.
13. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
(b) Over 1 million.
14. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(b) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(c) Jules Flachet.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
15. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Henri Bionne, Director.
(b) Charles de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(c) Henri Bionne, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Charles de Lesseps, Director.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
2. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
3. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
4. Sen. Spooner offers a Hepburn Bill amendment authorizing the President to acquire the Panama property and concessions for no more than $40 million, only if Colombia relinquishes what?
5. On March 10, 1902, the Morgan Committee reports out the Hepburn Bill favorably, recommending what?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)