|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Morgan Committee rejects the Walker Commission recommendations, the Senate debates the issues for two weeks, and Mt. Pelye's explosion and a Nicaraguan stamp turn odds how?
(a) 50-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(b) 10-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(c) 75-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(d) 100-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
2. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
(a) General Boulanger's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(b) Madame de Bonnemains' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(c) Ferdinand de Lesseps' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(d) Ydouard Drumont's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
3. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
4. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
(a) Equally difficult to Suez.
(b) Ten times more difficult than Suez.
(c) Less difficult than Suez, just longer.
(d) Twice as difficult as Suez.
5. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
(b) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
(c) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
(d) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
6. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(b) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(d) He will inspect Panama personally.
7. As the U.S. establishes a naval base at Cuba, annexes Hawaii, and acquires Guam, the Philippines, and Puerto Rico, the canal Theodore Roosevelt has been advocating becomes what?
(a) Enormously popular.
(b) Of minimal concern.
(c) Enormously unpopular.
(d) Of concern.
8. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
9. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
(b) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
(c) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
(d) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
10. The first event after the Morgan Commission that changes in favor of Panama, is Theodore Roosevelt reading news of how an audience, of civil engineers listening to Irving M. Scott in New York, does what?
(a) Unanimously rallies for Mexico.
(b) Unanimously rallies for Nicaragua.
(c) Unanimously rallies for Panama.
(d) Unanimously rallies for Colombia.
11. Jaques de Reinach is the "Micros" article's inside source, but Ydouard Drumont denies testifying, unless he is pardoned for what type of conviction keeping him in prison?
12. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
(a) Horses and wagons.
(c) Railway cars.
(d) Dump trucks.
13. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
(a) Compagnie Nouvelle de Canal de Panama.
(b) Herne, Slaven & Co. (later American Contracting and Dredging Co.).
(c) Compagnie Universal de Panama.
(d) Slaven & Herne Dredging & Contracting, Inc.
14. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
(c) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(d) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
15. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
(a) Director of Naval Archives, Christian Francis Stephenson; Secretary of State William Evarts; and Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) Chief of Navigational Planning, Vice Admiral T. J. Miller; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(c) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(d) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President James A. Garfield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
2. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
3. Sea supremacy has always been key to national and commercial greatness, and Theodore Roosevelt publishes The Naval War of 1812 while?
4. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
5. Both Napoleonic types, Philippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell are the "Panama Lobby" spokesmen, the latter a corporate lawyer with a mystery reputation who pulls strings, what is his motto?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)