|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which President of the United States is assassinated in 1901?
(a) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(b) William McKinley.
(c) Grover Cleveland.
(d) William Howard Taft.
2. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
(a) Exploring for a Navigable Route; An Approach to Connect the East and West in a Practical Manner.
(b) Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Span.
(c) Connecting the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans.
(d) Joining the West with the East, a Nineteenth Century Essay.
3. The Morgan Committee rejects the Walker Commission recommendations, the Senate debates the issues for two weeks, and Mt. Pelye's explosion and a Nicaraguan stamp turn odds how?
(a) 50-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(b) 100-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(c) 75-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(d) 10-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
4. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
(a) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Commander Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(b) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(c) Baron Istvan Turr, Commodore Jacques de Reinach, and Captain Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(d) Colonel Istvan Turr, Lord Jacques de Reinach, and Admiral Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
5. Armand Rousseau's report declares abandoning the Panama project will harm French prestige and advocates what?
(a) Abandon both the sea-level plan for a lock proposal, and that a lottery is insufficient.
(b) Adopt the lottery proposal, but abandon the sea-level plan.
(c) Keep the sea-level plan and adopt the lottery proposal.
(d) Continue with the sea-level plan.
6. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
(a) Pierre Tirard.
(b) Charles de Lesseps.
(c) Philippe Banau-Varilla.
(d) H. B. Slaven.
7. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
(a) Over 50%.
8. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
(b) Horses and wagons.
(c) Dump trucks.
(d) Railway cars.
9. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
10. Theodore Roosevelt is in what position when he initially thrusts himself into shaping policy for an American canal?
(a) Former president.
(c) Governor of New York.
(d) Governor of North Dakota.
11. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
(a) Modifications for Nicaragua a decade prior.
(b) Unlike anything previously designed.
(c) Modifications for Suez a decade prior.
(d) Modifications to dams used in Holland.
12. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
(a) The Union Pacific Railroad Company.
(b) The San Francisco-Boston Railway.
(c) The Panama Steam Line Corporation.
(d) The Panama Railroad Company.
13. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
(a) "The French Connection."
(b) A "rotten project."
(c) The "endless mudslide."
(d) "Panama paranoia."
14. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
(a) Baron de Lypinay.
(b) Armand Rycus.
(c) Gaston Blanchet.
(d) A. G. Menocal.
15. Why is it nearly impossible in the early stages of canal construction to maintain an adequate work force?
(a) Frequent turnover.
(b) High death toll.
(c) High illness rate.
(d) Language differences.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jaques de Reinach is a nominal villain in comparison to whom?
2. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
3. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
4. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
5. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)