|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first event after the Morgan Commission that changes in favor of Panama, is Theodore Roosevelt reading news of how an audience, of civil engineers listening to Irving M. Scott in New York, does what?
(a) Unanimously rallies for Mexico.
(b) Unanimously rallies for Nicaragua.
(c) Unanimously rallies for Colombia.
(d) Unanimously rallies for Panama.
2. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
(a) The Panama Steam Line Corporation.
(b) The Union Pacific Railroad Company.
(c) The Panama Railroad Company.
(d) The San Francisco-Boston Railway.
3. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
(a) Philippe Banau-Varilla.
(b) Pierre Tirard.
(c) Charles de Lesseps.
(d) H. B. Slaven.
4. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
(a) Rutherford B. Hayes.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Andrew Johnson.
(d) Ulysses S. Grant.
5. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
(b) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(c) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
(d) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
6. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
(a) Twice as difficult as Suez.
(b) Ten times more difficult than Suez.
(c) Less difficult than Suez, just longer.
(d) Equally difficult to Suez.
7. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
8. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
(a) Bond drive in support of the Panamal canal.
(b) Specter warning against Americans getting mired in ruin.
(c) Call to join the nation's project at Panama in support of the U.S. Navy.
(d) Advertisement drive promoting the Panama canal.
9. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
(a) Journal avante de Partie du Monde.
(b) Enregistrons du Corridoir Centre Amerique.
(c) Gazette du Canal a Travers Panama.
(d) Bulletin du Canal Interocyanique.
10. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
11. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
(a) Much slower than expected in the dry season.
(b) Slower than expected in the dry season.
(c) Much faster than expected in the rainy season.
(d) Faster than expected in the dry season.
12. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
(a) Violent riots.
(b) They want to forget it.
(c) Polite petition for redress.
(d) A run on financial institutions.
13. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
(b) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
(c) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
(d) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
14. Sen. Spooner offers a Hepburn Bill amendment authorizing the President to acquire the Panama property and concessions for no more than $40 million, only if Colombia relinquishes what?
(a) A perpetual nine-mile sovereignty zone.
(b) A perpetual six-mile sovereignty zone.
(c) A perpetual three-mile sovereignty zone,
(d) A perpetual twelve-mile sovereignty zone.
15. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
(b) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
(c) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
(d) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
Short Answer Questions
1. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
2. Sea supremacy has always been key to national and commercial greatness, and Theodore Roosevelt publishes The Naval War of 1812 while?
3. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
4. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
5. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)