|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
(a) $80 million.
(b) $40 million.
(c) $60 million.
(d) $20 million.
2. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
(a) Cmdr. Joseph L. Dow moves the gunboat Wachusett and takes control.
(b) Cmdr. Theodore F. Kane moves the gunboat Galena and takes control.
(c) Cmdr. William Connor moves the gunboat Tennessee and takes control.
(d) Cmdr. George Burt moves the gunboat Shenandoah and takes control.
3. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
(a) In 1875 when he announces his interest in an interoceanic canal.
(b) During the ten-month 1870-1871 Franco-German War.
(c) His foundation of the Sociyty Civile Internationale du Canal Interocyanique de Darien.
(d) Upon the 1869 opening of his lockless Suez Canal.
4. Jaques de Reinach is a nominal villain in comparison to whom?
(a) Cornelius Herz.
(b) Ydouard Drumont.
(c) Ferdinand Martin.
(d) Alexandre Ribot.
5. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
(b) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
(c) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
(d) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
6. Sea supremacy has always been key to national and commercial greatness, and Theodore Roosevelt publishes The Naval War of 1812 while?
(a) An undergraduate student.
(b) A graduate student.
(c) A high school student.
7. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
(a) Improbable cause for civil or criminal action.
(b) Civil suit for damages.
(c) Criminal trial.
(d) Both a civil suit and criminal trial.
8. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
(a) March 30, 1885.
(b) March 31, 1885.
(c) April 1, 1885.
(d) March 29, 1885.
9. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) All in cash.
(b) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(c) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(d) All in new company stock.
10. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
(b) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
(c) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
(d) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
11. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
(a) Names inscribed on the Panama Canal Monument.
(b) Founding shares at a bargain price.
(c) Property in Panama along the canal route. at bargain prices.
(d) Tax benefits in France for investing in Panama.
12. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
(a) Cromwell is a good cook.
(b) Cromwell's effectiveness.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt's friendship with Cromwell.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt's interest in Cromwell's views.
13. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
14. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
(a) Offended by Cromwell's blunt cable, they fire him.
(b) They say they did not get Walker's query and will get back to him.
(c) They cannot reply until after the annual July meeting.
(d) They state they are gathering the file, meanwhile have him make an offer.
15. On May 2, 1902, the second key swaying event following the Morgan Committee reports is Mount Pelye exploding on Martinique; how far away and how many killed?
(a) 150 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
(b) 3,000 miles from Nicaragua, 15,000 killed.
(c) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
(d) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 30,000 killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
2. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
3. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
4. Armand Rousseau's report declares abandoning the Panama project will harm French prestige and advocates what?
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)