|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
(b) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
(c) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
(d) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
2. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(b) States it requires only minor modifications.
(c) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
(d) Declares the whole thing impractical.
3. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
(a) The Suez Canal.
(b) The Orient Express.
(c) The European-East Asian Transcontinental Highway.
(d) The Suez Highway.
4. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
(a) Some 22,000.
(b) Some 42,000 lives.
(c) Some 32,000 lives.
(d) Some 12,000.
5. On March 10, 1902, the Morgan Committee reports out the Hepburn Bill favorably, recommending what?
(a) 10-1 a Nicaragua canal.
(b) 9-2 a Panama canal.
(c) 6-5 a Panama canal.
(d) 7-4 a Nicaragua canal.
6. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
(a) Instituons Franzaise.
(b) Acadymie Manigance le Franzaise.
(c) Acadymie Franzaise.
(d) Instituons Edifiant le Franzaise.
7. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
(a) Criminal trial.
(b) Civil suit for damages.
(c) Both a civil suit and criminal trial.
(d) Improbable cause for civil or criminal action.
8. What does Theodore Roosevelt state in his first message to Congress is the reason the U.S. must construct a canal in Central America for?
(a) For humanitarian reasons.
(b) It is key to U.S. naval supremacy.
(c) To rival Suez.
(d) For commercial purposes.
9. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
(a) Modifications for Suez a decade prior.
(b) Modifications for Nicaragua a decade prior.
(c) Modifications to dams used in Holland.
(d) Unlike anything previously designed.
10. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
(a) "Panama paranoia."
(b) A "rotten project."
(c) The "endless mudslide."
(d) "The French Connection."
11. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
(a) Railway cars.
(c) Dump trucks.
(d) Horses and wagons.
12. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
(a) Connecting the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans.
(b) Exploring for a Navigable Route; An Approach to Connect the East and West in a Practical Manner.
(c) Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Span.
(d) Joining the West with the East, a Nineteenth Century Essay.
13. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
14. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
(a) May-December, 120-130 inches annually.
(b) June-October, 175-185 inches annually.
(c) May-September, 100-110 inches annually.
(d) July-November, 50-60 inches annually.
15. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
Short Answer Questions
1. A sea-level canal built at Panama is just impossible, and using 1880s equipment, the lock canal approach maximizes what?
2. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
3. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
4. Sen. Spooner offers a Hepburn Bill amendment authorizing the President to acquire the Panama property and concessions for no more than $40 million, only if Colombia relinquishes what?
5. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)