|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(b) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(c) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
(d) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
2. John F. Wallace has a job offer he cannot say "no" to, but William H. Taft feels betrayed as he tailored the new ICC to his wishes, and confronts him to dress him down and demand a resignation where?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
(d) Panama City.
3. Which President of the United States is assassinated in 1901?
(a) William McKinley.
(b) Grover Cleveland.
(c) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(d) William Howard Taft.
4. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
(a) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(b) Cautious hopes, honest promotion, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(c) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal but economical progress, and reasonable logistical and natural challenges.
(d) Low hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal and costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
5. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
(a) Tax benefits in France for investing in Panama.
(b) Names inscribed on the Panama Canal Monument.
(c) Property in Panama along the canal route. at bargain prices.
(d) Founding shares at a bargain price.
Short Answer Questions
1. When William Howard Taft succeeds Theodore Roosevelt in 1909, the canal project is how far completed?
2. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
3. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
4. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
5. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)