|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three men is the lock design and engineering largely the work of?
(a) George W. Goethals, Henry Goldmark, and Lt. Col. Hodges.
(b) Lieutenant Colonel Hodges, Edward Schildhauer, and Henry Goldmark.
(c) Edward Schildhauer, Henry Goldmark, and William H. Welch.
(d) Charles de Lesseps, Edward Schildhauer, and Henry Goldmark.
2. Lieutenant Colonel William Crawford Gorgas, despite opposition from bureaucrats, maintains the biggest challenge is what?
(a) The massive amount of paperwork required by Washington.
(b) Conquering yellow fever and malaria.
(c) Accepting a lock vice a sea-level plan.
(d) Getting rid of what is dug from the canal.
3. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
(a) Panama Investigative Committee.
(b) De Lesseps Investigative Committee.
(c) Compagnie Universelle Investigatie Committee.
(d) Committee of Thirty-Three.
4. The Wallace/Stevens departmental system is replaced by what?
(a) Celestial, with each independent of another.
(b) Multiple-level class system as in Mexico.
(c) Geographic divisions as in the French period.
(d) Geological divisions with one atop another.
5. A movement begins in Panama in July 1903, as 25-26 gather to talk revolution, including which leaders?
(a) Phillippe Banau-Varilla, Jose Agustin Arango, and Carlos Constantino Arosemena.
(b) Phillippe Banau-Varilla, Jose Agustin Arango, and Henry G. Prescott.
(c) William Cromwell, Phillippe Banau-Varilla, and Carlos Constantino Arosemena.
(d) Jose Agustin Arango, Carlos Constantino Arosemena, and Herbert G. Prescott.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theodore Roosevelt state in his first message to Congress is the reason the U.S. must construct a canal in Central America for?
2. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
3. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
4. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
5. Why is marriage encouraged in the Canal Zone?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)