|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
2. What is the main issue impeding fumigation in U.S. facilities?
(a) Lack of newsprint to seal buildings.
(b) Climate is too humid.
(c) Lack of devices to dispense fumes.
(d) Lack of chemical fumigants.
3. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
(a) Nicaragua's political uneasiness.
(b) Panama's lack of volcanoes.
(c) Nicaragua's recurring forest fires.
(d) Panama's lack of pending revolution.
4. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
(a) Jaques Jonett.
(b) Alexander de Duponte.
(c) Phillipe Bunau-Varilla.
(d) William Kimball.
5. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
(a) Henri Bionne, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(b) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Charles de Lesseps, Director.
(c) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Henri Bionne, Director.
(d) Charles de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
2. Social life in the Canal Zone during George W. Goethals' era is best described how?
3. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
4. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)