|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
(a) Using planks.
(c) By canoe.
(d) By ferry.
2. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
(a) East around the Horn of Africa, around South America, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
(b) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and through the Great Lakes and various western rivers of the North American continent.
(c) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
(d) Across the North American continent, over the Isthmus of Panama, and east through the Suez Canal.
3. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) All in cash.
(b) All in new company stock.
(c) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(d) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
4. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
5. When newspapers throughout the world announce "The Great Canal Crash," and deputies order the Compagnie Universelle into receivership, demonstrations across France espouse what?
(a) Mixed demonstrations pro and con are held across France.
(b) Virtually no demonstrations occur.
(c) Protest against the company is staged across France.
(d) Popular support of the company is staged across France.
Short Answer Questions
1. Armand Rousseau's report declares abandoning the Panama project will harm French prestige and advocates what?
2. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
3. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
4. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
5. Thousands of articles create popular view of Canal Zone life, but make no mention of blacks, so government inspectors and fact-finders are amazed to see the entire project depends on what?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)