|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does it take to build the locks?
2. What does Theodore Roosevelt state in his first message to Congress is the reason the U.S. must construct a canal in Central America for?
(a) It is key to U.S. naval supremacy.
(b) For humanitarian reasons.
(c) For commercial purposes.
(d) To rival Suez.
3. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
(b) Over 1 million.
4. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
(b) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
(c) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
(d) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
5. What three men is the lock design and engineering largely the work of?
(a) Edward Schildhauer, Henry Goldmark, and William H. Welch.
(b) Lieutenant Colonel Hodges, Edward Schildhauer, and Henry Goldmark.
(c) George W. Goethals, Henry Goldmark, and Lt. Col. Hodges.
(d) Charles de Lesseps, Edward Schildhauer, and Henry Goldmark.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the fall of 1902 as discussions of Canal Zone sovereignty reach a critical point, civil war erupts on the Isthmus and Theodore Roosevelt takes what action?
2. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
3. A worker dies of bubonic plague on July 3, 1905, and William Crawford Gorgas immediately orders a campaign to eradicate what?
4. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
5. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)