|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main issue impeding fumigation in U.S. facilities?
(a) Lack of chemical fumigants.
(b) Climate is too humid.
(c) Lack of newsprint to seal buildings.
(d) Lack of devices to dispense fumes.
2. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
(a) Paul Leroy-Beaulieu.
(b) J. C. Rodrigues.
(c) Henri Marechal.
(d) Lyon Boyer.
3. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
(a) Cmdr. William Connor moves the gunboat Tennessee and takes control.
(b) Cmdr. Joseph L. Dow moves the gunboat Wachusett and takes control.
(c) Cmdr. Theodore F. Kane moves the gunboat Galena and takes control.
(d) Cmdr. George Burt moves the gunboat Shenandoah and takes control.
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(c) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
(d) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
5. William Cromwell, on June 13, 1903, leaks to the New York World paper he had a talk with Theodore Roosevelt about recognizing a secessionist Republic of Panama should what continue?
(a) Nicaragua sending forces into Panama.
(b) Colombia being greedy.
(c) Colombia not dealing fairly with Chile.
(d) Colombia ignoring Panama's king.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
2. Who is hired as America's first chief engineer for the canal project, with the understanding he need not move to the isthmus?
3. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
4. At the peak of U.S. work, on any given day, how many steam shovels were operating in the Cut?
5. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)