|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When William Howard Taft succeeds Theodore Roosevelt in 1909, the canal project is how far completed?
2. Theodore Roosevelt's ship arrives in Panama a day early, so as not to ruin John Steven's schedule, the Presidential party agrees to stay on board overnight, but in the morning the welcoming party finds what?
(a) Rosevelt in the jungle on a hunting expedition.
(b) Roosevelt ashore exploring the waterfront.
(c) Roosevelt having breakfast at a hotel.
(d) Roosevelt's ship gone from port.
3. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(b) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(d) He will inspect Panama personally.
4. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(c) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(d) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
5. Who orders commissaries established immediately, even if this will violate agreements with Panama?
(a) William Howard Taft.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Theodore Perry Shonts.
(d) John Stevens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
2. Thousands of articles create popular view of Canal Zone life, but make no mention of blacks, so government inspectors and fact-finders are amazed to see the entire project depends on what?
3. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
4. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)