|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
(a) It will be more difficult than Suez.
(b) It will be easier than Suez, but take longer.
(c) It will be no harder than Suez.
(d) It will be easier than Suez.
2. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
3. On March 10, 1902, the Morgan Committee reports out the Hepburn Bill favorably, recommending what?
(a) 10-1 a Nicaragua canal.
(b) 7-4 a Nicaragua canal.
(c) 9-2 a Panama canal.
(d) 6-5 a Panama canal.
4. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
(b) States it requires only minor modifications.
(c) Declares the whole thing impractical.
(d) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
5. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
(a) U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
(b) French engineer officials.
(c) "Seabees" (construction battalions of the Civil Engineer Corps of the U.S. Navy).
(d) Railroad officials.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
2. How fast before the canal becomes a smooth, quiet operation, free from the drama and hoopla characteristic of earlier years?
3. The first event after the Morgan Commission that changes in favor of Panama, is Theodore Roosevelt reading news of how an audience, of civil engineers listening to Irving M. Scott in New York, does what?
4. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
5. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)