|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
(a) Eat no fruit.
(b) Stay out of the hot sun.
(c) Leave the Isthmus quickly.
(d) Avoid getting wet to protect against night air.
2. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
(a) Abel Couvreux.
(b) Lieutenant Reclus.
(c) Henri Bionnr.
(d) Gaston Blanchet.
3. Sen. Spooner offers a Hepburn Bill amendment authorizing the President to acquire the Panama property and concessions for no more than $40 million, only if Colombia relinquishes what?
(a) A perpetual three-mile sovereignty zone,
(b) A perpetual twelve-mile sovereignty zone.
(c) A perpetual nine-mile sovereignty zone.
(d) A perpetual six-mile sovereignty zone.
4. Who is hired as America's first chief engineer for the canal project, with the understanding he need not move to the isthmus?
(a) John Stevens.
(b) Theodore Perry Shonts.
(c) John Findley Wallace.
(d) George W. Goethals.
5. At the peak of U.S. work, on any given day, how many steam shovels were operating in the Cut?
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. William Henry Welch of Johns Hopkins Medical School convinces Theodore Roosevelt to assign a sanitary officer. Why is Welch's former student, William Crawford Gorgas, chosen?
2. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
3. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
4. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
5. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)