|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
(b) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
(c) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(d) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
2. Theodore Roosevelt times his visit to experience it when?
(a) Panama's Revolution Day.
(b) Height of rainy season.
(c) Between Christmas and New Year's Eve.
(d) Height of dry season.
3. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
(a) Alexander de Duponte.
(b) William Kimball.
(c) Phillipe Bunau-Varilla.
(d) Jaques Jonett.
4. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
5. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
(a) Some 32,000 lives.
(b) Some 12,000.
(c) Some 22,000.
(d) Some 42,000 lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Theodore Roosevelt declares he would have recommended the Congress take possession of the isthmus had the Panamanians not revolted, as which nation is not a responsible power?
2. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
3. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
4. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
5. Theodore Roosevelt is in what position when he initially thrusts himself into shaping policy for an American canal?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)