|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
(b) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(c) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
(d) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
(a) Specter warning against Americans getting mired in ruin.
(b) Advertisement drive promoting the Panama canal.
(c) Bond drive in support of the Panamal canal.
(d) Call to join the nation's project at Panama in support of the U.S. Navy.
3. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
(a) Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) Andrew Johnson.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Rutherford B. Hayes.
4. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
(a) $100 per share, full market value.
(b) $400 per share, four times the market value.
(c) $300 per share, three times the market value.
(d) $200 per share, two times the market value.
5. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
(b) Over 1 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
3. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
4. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
5. When is the Hay-Herran Treaty signed?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)