|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
(a) They say they did not get Walker's query and will get back to him.
(b) They state they are gathering the file, meanwhile have him make an offer.
(c) They cannot reply until after the annual July meeting.
(d) Offended by Cromwell's blunt cable, they fire him.
2. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
(a) $400 per share, four times the market value.
(b) $100 per share, full market value.
(c) $200 per share, two times the market value.
(d) $300 per share, three times the market value.
3. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
(a) Acadymie Manigance le Franzaise.
(b) Instituons Edifiant le Franzaise.
(c) Acadymie Franzaise.
(d) Instituons Franzaise.
4. Theodore Roosevelt is in what position when he initially thrusts himself into shaping policy for an American canal?
(b) Governor of North Dakota.
(c) Former president.
(d) Governor of New York.
5. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
(b) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
(c) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
(d) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theodore Roosevelt state in his first message to Congress is the reason the U.S. must construct a canal in Central America for?
2. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
3. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
5. Both Napoleonic types, Philippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell are the "Panama Lobby" spokesmen, the latter a corporate lawyer with a mystery reputation who pulls strings, what is his motto?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)