|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
(a) The San Francisco-Boston Railway.
(b) The Union Pacific Railroad Company.
(c) The Panama Railroad Company.
(d) The Panama Steam Line Corporation.
2. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
(a) It was not initiating the canal that was the problem, it was seeing it through.
(b) The canal started because he followed normal legislative channels.
(c) He did not go back to Panama because they would not let him drive another steam shovel.
(d) The canal would not have started if he followed normal legislative channels.
3. The Wallace/Stevens departmental system is replaced by what?
(a) Geological divisions with one atop another.
(b) Celestial, with each independent of another.
(c) Geographic divisions as in the French period.
(d) Multiple-level class system as in Mexico.
4. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
5. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
(a) By ferry.
(b) By canoe.
(c) Using planks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
2. Who outmaneuvers the Panamanians into giving the U.S. greater rights in the Canal Zone than it wants?
3. John Stevens feels the Panama Canal can be completed by January 1914, but doubts a sea- level version can be prior to what year?
4. For an overall view of the Gatun dam site, Theodore Roosevelt races up the hillside and takes a look, and then the most famous moment of his trip takes place when Roosevelt does what?
5. Why is it nearly impossible in the early stages of canal construction to maintain an adequate work force?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)